Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread: Now Featuring Animated Avatars

3 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Guard Crushes are old as shit tho...

Well yeah, obviously, but SamSho's whole thing is it's slower pace and big damage. This is a big push for a more aggressive game overall, since you're rewarded more for pressuring a guard and punished for turtling. 

I'm not saying it's bad or new, I'm saying that it's a pretty massive change in the overall way that game is played. 

it's interesting, just like how SFV added the v-shift, new goku adding a bunch of gimmicky stuff that some people are saying is game breaking, etc etc. 

Just seems like a lot of big changes have rolled out in the last month or so. 

1 hour ago, KingTubb said:

This is a pretty huge change to the game. 

Fighting games are swinging for the fences with some wild (and possibly questionable) stuff lately

I think that guard crushes by itself aren't really an intrusive thing for Samsho.

Unless they made changes to the defensive mechanics, the pace and flow should be more or less the same, with the difference that now you have an active incentive to use the defensive tools you have on the game (both universal and character specific)

We should see when we could play again, we had good matches, that or Monhun.

(You should take advantage that my armor set is oriented to healing the party, i can help you through the campaing with that 🤣)

1 minute ago, Hecatom said:

I think that guard crushes by itself aren't really an intrusive thing for Samsho.

Unless they made changes to the defensive mechanics, the pace and flow should be more or less the same, with the difference that now you have an active incentive to use the defensive tools you have on the game (both universal and character specific)

Yeah, I don't know enough or play enough to really have a good idea how it'll change the game, thanks for the insight. To my scrub brain, it seemed like it would really shake up neutral, but again, scrub brain lol.

2 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

We should see when we could play again, we had good matches, that or Monhun.

We played SamSho?? You might be getting me mixed up with Matt. I think we played some SCVI at one point. 

And yeah, I'd be down for MHW. I'm into the master rank quests now 

28 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

Yeah, I don't know enough or play enough to really have a good idea how it'll change the game, thanks for the insight. To my scrub brain, it seemed like it would really shake up neutral, but again, scrub brain lol.

We played SamSho?? You might be getting me mixed up with Matt. I think we played some SCVI at one point. 

And yeah, I'd be down for MHW. I'm into the master rank quests now 

Yeah probably.

I was almost sure we played all together, Mat, you, Dr.Mario and others 🤣

3 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

^samurai shodown guard crush

Yuck. I think this is a terrible mechanic for a SamSho game but they should have a bar a'la Guilty Gear rather than your character suddenly being outlined in red which you may not even notice until it's too late. They've made some really goofy choices with this game and this is yet another one.

Just now, DoctaMario said:

Yuck. I think this is a terrible mechanic for a SamSho game but they should have a bar a'la Guilty Gear rather than your character suddenly being outlined in red which you may not even notice until it's too late. They've made some really goofy choices with this game and this is yet another one.

I agree that they need to add a better way for the players to know when the guard crush will happen.

As it is now i really didn't notice what was our way to tell.

1 hour ago, RSG3 said:

Count me down for MHW. 

Sam Show has had kinda sorta guard break mechanics in the past so this doesn't strike me as terribly radical. 

Not in any of the mainline 2d games that this is based on unless there's something I'm unaware of. The emphasis has always been on defensive play or at least making the opponent think twice before mashing something out, which they took to an extreme with this game and now it just looks like they're trying to account for their overcorrection in that area.

Just now, DoctaMario said:

Not in any of the mainline 2d games that this is based on unless there's something I'm unaware of. The emphasis has always been on defensive play or at least making the opponent think twice before mashing something out, which they took to an extreme with this game and now it just looks like they're trying to account for their overcorrection in that area.

I haven't played SamSho in years so my recollection could be way off but remember shit like having my sword knocked away from over blocking stand shit. Not exactly a guard break but a punishment for over guarding. 

1 minute ago, RSG3 said:

I haven't played SamSho in years so my recollection could be way off but remember shit like having my sword knocked away from over blocking stand shit. Not exactly a guard break but a punishment for over guarding. 

That's a deflect, it's more of a parry mechanic. If your opponent deflects a light or medium slash, you get stuck in a recoil stun, but if they deflect a heavy slash, it knocks your weapon out of your hand.

NPD Feb 2021

https://venturebeat.com/2021/03/12/february-2021-npd/

^click on this for the full twitter thread

Hardware: Switch was top selling hardware for both Unit and dollar sales.  PS5 is still breaking records though.  It's currently the fastest selling hardware platform in US history.  Switch is now the the second best selling hardware console for Nintendo in the US with it now only being behind the Wii.

Some other things of note Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury took top spot for the month and Persona 5 Strikers charted REEEALLY well.  It charted really solidly on Sony's list but we don't know exactly how well it did on Switch if at all because Switch's list is completely dominated by 1st party software save for 1 title.

Top 20 for Feb:  SM3DW+BF, CoD: Blops:CW,  P5: Strikers, Miles Morales, Dat Madden 21, Ass Creed Valhalla, MK8D, AC:NH, CoD: MW, FIFA 21, NBA 2K21, Smash Ult, MK11, SM3D All-Stars, Ring Fit Adventure, Just Dance 2021, Minecraft: PS4 edition, LoZ: BotW, Immortals: Fenyx Rising

Top 20 best selling ofr 2021 so far:  CoD:Blops:CW, SM3DW+BF, Miles Morales, Ass Creed: Valhalla, Dat Madden 21, MK8D, AC: NH, CoD: MW, P5: Strikers, Ring Fit Adventure

Top 10  best selling games of last 12 months:  CoD:Blops: CW, CoD: MW, AC: NH, Dat Madden 21, Ass Creed Valhalla, Last of Us II, GoTsu, Miles Morales, SM3D All-Stars, MK8D

Top 10 Nintendo:  SM3DW+BF, MK8D, AC:NH, Smash Ult, SM3D All-Stars, Ring Fit Adventure, LoZ BotW, Just Dance 2021, Super Mario Party, NSMBUD

Top 10 Sony: CoD:Blops:CW, Miles Morales, P5 Strikers, Dat Madden 21, Ass Creed Valhalla, Minecraft: PS4 Edition, NBA 2K21, FiFA 21, CoD: MW, Little Nightmares II

Top 10 Xbox: CoD:Blops:CW, Dat Madden 21, Ass Creed Valhalla, CoD:MW, Little Nightmares II, Forza Horizon 4, FIFA 21, Minecraft Xbox One Edition, MK11, UFC 4

1 hour ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Bethesda. Fix up something? 

Go read about how Obsidian almost fell apart during New Vegas Development 
Like how they fired their only UI Artist mid development 
And got the founder of the company kicked out 

Edited by DarkSakul

I'm not saying any of that didn't happen. I am saying Bethesda continually releases games, bug filled games, that get fixed by their fans. I got Skyrim for like $5 years ago. I literally spent more time tracking down fan fixes for the game than I did playing it. I mean they launched Fallout 76 with bugs that fans had already fixed in their previous release. I wish the justifiable vitriol that CD Projekt RED got would happened to  Bethesda's after each continual bug riddled release they had. Bugthesda was a meme before there were memes.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
38 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

I love the revisionist events you made there nigga.

Easy to say that when you got nothing. 

32 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I'm not saying any of that didn't happen. I am saying Bethesda continually releases games bug filled games that get fixed by their fans. I got Skyrim for like $5 years ago. I literally spent more time tracking down fan fixes for the game than I did playing it. I mean they launched Fallout 76 with bugs that fans had already fixed in their previous release. I wish the justifiable vitriol that CD Projekt RED would happened to  Bethesda's after each continual bug riddle release they had. Bugthesda was a meme before there were memes.

Had nothing to do with how broke or not broke the game was.

Obsidian needed help as they ether fired or chased away half their team, including their only UI artist. 
They didn't had the people to finish the project and ran to Beth to help.  

Not to mention Beth only gave Obsidian a year for development, and offered no additional personnel or resources. 
Beth needed Obsidian to stick to their schedule, as so that New Vegas don't overlap Skyrim's Release.  

The Whole Metacritic debacle is hilarious 

Edited by DarkSakul
8 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

Halo devs did a Q+A, mention that duel wielding will not be in

https://www.ign.com/articles/halo-infinite-wont-have-dual-wielding-or-playable-elites-but-you-can-knock-enemies-off-the-halo-ring

really strange...

haha and right there in the link---no playable elites either?  It's a shame... I kind of miss those days when Halo was relevant.  At least for me, once I got more into Unreal Championship 2, and then the legendary Gears of War franchise...it was game over for Halo with me.  I did go on to get parts 4 and 5, mainly because I still cared about what was going on in the story of that universe....but at this point it's quite a tough sell to get me interested in that again.  With all the things that have been going on in the world of shooters since Halo, they're just kinda "old hat" at this point.  I think they'd need to implement something major to truly catch people's attention again.

*Reminiscing on The Elder Scrolls and some of my favorite moments again lately... I've been tempted to actually play that mess Skyrim again....though of course I'd have to keep saving every 1 or 2 minutes because y'know.... Bugthesda there.  It's such a frustrating thing, man... if it weren't for it being made by that company...this would clearly be one of the top 5 greatest games of all time, imo....easily.  It's the #1 example of a game I always wish was handled by a better developer....a company that actually makes sure the damn thing works properly before shipping it.

I'm enjoying Astrobot far more than I thought I would. As a platformer it's very basic but it's made me a believer of the duel sense features. Absolutely loving the love letter to playstation all over this game. Got me feeling nostalgic over having the PS2 network adapter, PSP camera, the move and memory cards as collectibles. The references to other games when you spot is always fun to watch.

8 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I'm not saying any of that didn't happen. I am saying Bethesda continually releases games bug filled games that get fixed by their fans. I got Skyrim for like $5 years ago. I literally spent more time tracking down fan fixes for the game than I did playing it. I mean they launched Fallout 76 with bugs that fans had already fixed in their previous release. I wish the justifiable vitriol that CD Projekt RED would happened to  Bethesda's after each continual bug riddle release they had. Bugthesda was a meme before there were memes.

That's the most frustrating thing about the response to Cyberpunk 2077. Mostly justifiable for that game but how come only that game for the most part? Why does Beth skate by for fucking free? Makes no sense. 

20 hours ago, BornWinner said:

Yeah, Max has said a bunch of times he ended up ignoring the SNK games in favor of Capcom. Really the only game he played that had SNK characters was both the CVS games.

But how long it's been since that? when he was in high school? He makes money making these videos he should better be well informed. 

20 hours ago, Hecatom said:

Outside of capcom and killer instinct, he is not really a fan of anything.

He plays some games, but leaves them rather quickly most of the time.

No wonder I find his videos utterly boring his own fans are starting to expose him. For someone with so many subscribers and making a living out of it he sure is doing some lousy work. 

3 hours ago, RSG3 said:

That's the most frustrating thing about the response to Cyberpunk 2077. Mostly justifiable for that game but how come only that game for the most part? Why does Beth skate by for fucking free? Makes no sense. 

Because it's basically expected that Beth games are going to have a shit ton of bugs. People have been getting mad about it but it does no good as they just don't seem to care. 

12 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

Because it's basically expected that Beth games are going to have a shit ton of bugs. People have been getting mad about it but  it does no good as they just don't seem to care. 

Getting mad about means nothing if they still buy the game. See the Pokemon fanbase and their latest "boycott" of Sword & Shield.

Edited by Darc_Requiem