Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread: Now Featuring Animated Avatars

3 hours ago, RSG3 said:

Swing back?

My issue with OOT isn't that it's good because it's pretty damn good especially for when it was made, my issue is that people still call it the best. Not just the best Zelda game either but the best game of all time. It wasn't when it came out and it wasn't a year later when Majoras Mask came out and did everything it did better. 

OOT is awesome and it's historical significance can not be under stated, but the worship level the game gets is painful. It's not the best Zelda game much less the best game of all time. 

My issue with OOT is the worship level it gets and that so many people call it the best Zelda game... when ALttP had already been around for 7 or so years.

Calling ANY game categorically the greatest game of all time is a hot take cry for help, imo.

Edited by JHDK
1 hour ago, RSG3 said:

Yea it's frustrating there to. I love Symphony. Great game...far from perfect. As much as I love it they really dropped the ball on gear and lvl balance. You get so fucking strong so fucking fast and using trash gear doesn't even help much with offsetting the issue.  Where Symphony really succeeds is in atmosphere, music, and joyful exploration. Exploring Drags castle in that game is really fun, especially the first time, even if most of what you find tends to be kinda trash or a health/heart booster. Least most of the gear tends to have some kind of silly gimmick attached to that makes it some level of interesting even if the stats aren't good/game can't really support it. 

Rods are so OP. No homo.

It's always a tough choice when I think of what I would say the "best of all time" is....because there's so many out there that are Legend status with me.  I prefer to break that down into categories, like "favorite arpg of all time" or "favorite sidescrolling action game of all time" etc....and even then it's always a tough call so I just go with things I consider to be legendary for me....like most of you have heard my usual top picks constantly at this point---> Bayonetta 1 and 2, Kingoms of Amalur, the controversial (at least to me) pick of Skyrim, Dragon's Crown, Soul Sacrifice Delta, Vampyr, Gears of War franchise, Unreal Championship 2, Phantasy Star Online/Phantasy Star Portable, Diablo franchise, Quake 3 Arena, DOOM franchise, Borderlands 2, etc.

From way back in ancient times: Ms. Pacman, Dig Dug, Gyruss, Solaris (atari 2600), Defender II, and of course the Super Mario Bros. franchise, mainly 1 thru to World... Actraiser, Street Fighter II, Mortal Kombat 1 - Ultimate 3, etc.  As you can see, it would be quite difficult to narrow this all down to any kind of small list.

Edited by MillionX
2 hours ago, RSG3 said:

Yea it's frustrating there to. I love Symphony. Great game...far from perfect. As much as I love it they really dropped the ball on gear and lvl balance. You get so fucking strong so fucking fast and using trash gear doesn't even help much with offsetting the issue.  Where Symphony really succeeds is in atmosphere, music, and joyful exploration. Exploring Drags castle in that game is really fun, especially the first time, even if most of what you find tends to be kinda trash or a health/heart booster. Least most of the gear tends to have some kind of silly gimmick attached to that makes it some level of interesting even if the stats aren't good/game can't really support it. 

I'm willing to forgive a lot of the flaws in that game because it's pretty obvious it was a labor of love and they had so many cool ideas and probably not enough time to balance them out that they were probably like, "Fuck it, that's a great idea, put it in!" Even if the reverse castle is kind of lazy, it speaks to how well designed the castle is altogether that it still works even upside down, and it's one of the only metroidvania CV games where you can kinda make builds and do stuff other than equip a sword and go to town (I did a Necromancer run where I used Monster Vials and the duplicator as my main weapons, tough but really fun.)

I also think it gets so much love because IGA spent so much time trying to chase it and recapture what made it so special that a lot of the other games felt like copies. Portrait Of Ruin was the first metroidvania where it didn't feel like he was trying to do that, even if some of the games in the interim were decent to excellent.

Edited by DoctaMario

Of those I mentioned just now---I could narrow it down a bit more to a generalized 5 perhaps....just what comes to mind first, perhaps no particular order..

Diablo 3, Bayonetta 2, Gears of War trilogy(3 if I only limit it to one of them), Kingdoms of Amalur, TES V: Skyrim

at least that is what the current mood is.

Gears in particular, man... I never imagined a shooter would have such emotional moments in the mix like that franchise has.  *That Moment* (Dom and his wife scene) in part 2 was some devastating shit...I can't think of anything else that is really on that same level.  Of course the voice acting in that really drove it home.... then in part 3 when Marcus says his last line to the Queen after shanking that bitch...and the sequence that follows that... holy shit man.  That's gold right there..."Feel that?  This is for Dom.  ..and everyone else you killed, you bitch."  ...hell of a way to finish off such a legendary trilogy.  

Random thing just came to mind--- in the new era of past story things being "fixed" ...Elder Scrolls fans should get ready for all kinds of changes in the lore... how vampirism started is probably going to be completely different, I bet, because that lore is QUITE raw for today's "baby-soft", "rated PG" standards. (*basically, a Daedric Prince named Molag Bal abducted a woman and... "had his way" with her.  You all know there is no way in HFIL they allow that to remain in any future iteration of the franchise, considering how things are going in entertainment these days....because even firmly established villains in a story aren't allowed to do certain things that are considered "too far" these days.  We have to pretend like certain sick, twisted things don't ever really happen, I guess.  

30 minutes ago, TheInfernoman said:

Link's Awakening is the best Zelda  game to me...but down the line, I can see BotW taking the OoT crown of the best in the series in the eyes of "normies" 

I don't see it personally. Too many people get upset at the weapon system and lack of big was dungeons (I kinda feel the dungeons issue myself, needed another Hyrule Castle or 2 imo). 

Games amazing but it also created something of a divide in the fambase while everyone rallied behind OOT. 

4 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

I don't see it personally. Too many people get upset at the weapon system and lack of big was dungeons (I kinda feel the dungeons issue myself, needed another Hyrule Castle or 2 imo). 

Games amazing but it also created something of a divide in the fambase while everyone rallied behind OOT. 

Exactly my point, peeps did this with Wind Waker and Mario Sunshine...the "changes" were so sudden that fans were divided until years later things settled and both were praised years after the initial creation. 

OOT is great but when it comes to console zelda’s I’d rather play almost any of the others instead. Wind Waker is my favorite console Zelda and in my top 5 Zelda’s of all time. 

(Does Links awakening 2019 count as a console Zelda now? Cause it’s a remake/port. It’s my favorite Zelda of all time and arguably my favorite game of all time) 

Edited by iStu X
17 minutes ago, iStu X said:

Does Links awakening 2019 count as a console Zelda now? Cause it’s a port. It’s my favorite Zelda of all time and arguably my favorite game of all time

That's a good question. My first thought would be it's a remake instead of a port, just because of the graphical improvement and the change in perspective. But I'm not an expert on what technically constitutes a port vs a remake, so that thought could easily be wrong.

2 hours ago, RSG3 said:

Just scored Cotton Boomerang for Saturn for a really good price of 160. 

Yea that's expensive but it's a 400+ dollar game so I still made out. 

Edit: I'll give you the Shield Rod Jabs but the other rods are mostly meh imo and Shield Rods only as good as the Shield you pair it with. 

Holy Rod ain't something to sneeze at, either.

Every time I see those New Day skins in Gears it's rather disgusting to me, tbh... oddly enough I didn't see many reaction vids on youtube about this silly nonsense, other than this one

He kinda sums it up.  The shit is SO trash.  This isn't far off from having Barney the Goddamn Dinosaur in the game.... or Naruto and Krusty the Clown.  It started in Gears 4 when you had those dumb looking "COLORBLAST!" skins and the Luchador version of the fat mexican dude...nah man get that clown shit out of here.  Oh I know...how long until we get Tyler Perry in the "Madea" outfit in the game?  ...maybe RUPAUL too, right?  Because that sure is something that needs to be in a heavy machismo "shoot everything" violent game, right?  ...fuckin nonsense.

The Wire Reaction GIF

Edited by MillionX

Sonic 2 movie is officially under production

Been hearing that Sega's plans for Sonic games have been put on hold again and instead they're going to be relying on Sonic Prime to promote the IP.    Don't know how much of that is true or not.  All I want is Mania 2 right now...each time a track from Mania comes up on my playlist while I'm working it just makes for the fact that a sequel hasn't been announced yet that much more painful for me.  I NEEEED more Sonic Tee Lopes in my life.

Rockstar thanks GTA Online player who fixed poor load times, official update coming

9db447c0-85d8-11eb-afbd-a5b801b9586b.cf.

A player recently claimed to have improved GTA Online’s loading times by up to 70 percent. Turns out, they were right.

Rockstar Games has confirmed to PC Gamer that a fan-made solution to GTA Online's abysmal loading times will become official in a forthcoming update. 

At the beginning of March, Github user tostercx, who also goes by t0st, claimed they'd discovered a way to reduce GTA Online's loading times by up to 70 percent. Further, they also released a fix that you can pick up here—with a caveat that it's an unsupported "proof of concept, not for casual use.”

For those interested in the technical angles of such things, tostercx also wrote up a detailed analysis of what was wrong, and how they’d fixed it. It's fairly technical, but the short version is that the slowdown was being caused by "a single thread CPU bottleneck while starting up GTA Online,” a problem they estimated "shouldn’t take more than a day for a single dev to solve."

It actually took a somewhat longer than that, but Rockstar has confirmed that tostercx's findings were accurate, and that a fix is on the way.

"After a thorough investigation, we can confirm that player t0st did, in fact, reveal an aspect of the game code related to load times for the PC version of GTA Online that could be improved," the company said in a statement. "As a result of these investigations, we have made some changes that will be implemented in a forthcoming title update."

Rockstar didn't say when the fix might become available, nor did it confirm t0st's estimation of a 70 percent reduction in load times. It did confirm that the company has been in touch with t0st, however, "and would like to thank him again for his efforts." Hopefully it also threw a truckload or two of GTA$ his way—or even better, some of that sweet (and real) Rockstar Bug Bounty cash.

Update: Shortly after Rockstar confirmed that a load time fix is in the works, tostercx said that they were in fact awarded $10,000 through its Bug Bounty program. That's normally reserved for discovering security or privacy issues in Rockstar's online games, but the studio decided to award the bounty "as an exception" in this case, they said. Rockstar confirmed to PC Gamer that the payment is being made.

https://www.pcgamer.com/rockstar-thanks-gta-online-player-who-fixed-poor-load-times-official-update-coming/

sheeeittt, today is the day folks... that double-header on Switch for me

Kingdoms of Amalur

*edit---oh, Monster Hunter isn't until 3/26?!  I was sure it was today alongside Amalur...

The only problem will be finding time for both, as mentioned earlier Amalur continues to be on my list of LEGEND-status games I could play for insane amounts of time.

On another note--here's a random thing to keep tabs on I just noticed on youtube... Godstrike:

Edited by MillionX
49 minutes ago, MillionX said:

sheeeittt, today is the day folks... that double-header on Switch for me

Kingdoms of Amalur

*edit---oh, Monster Hunter isn't until 3/26?!  I was sure it was today alongside Amalur...

The only problem will be finding time for both, as mentioned earlier Amalur continues to be on my list of LEGEND-status games I could play for insane amounts of time.

On another note--here's a random thing to keep tabs on I just noticed on youtube... Godstrike:

Alamur on Switch seems like another great Lite before sleeping game.

I love lying on my back, playing my Switch Lite in bed.

That thing is literally lighter than my cell phone.

EDIT:

Lighter than my cell phone + Otter Box.

Dunno what kind of mad man rolls with a naked Galaxy 10 Note.

Edited by JHDK

Jade Raymond founds Haven Studios, already developing new IP for PlayStation

'It's time for us to refocus on GAMES'

622934-havenjaderaymond.jpg

Canadian video game producer Jade Raymond has announced the founding of a brand new studio. Based out of Montreal, Haven Studios is a new and independent developer that has already gotten straight to working on a brand new mystery IP for PlayStation platforms.

"Many of the talented game developers I have worked with for years (and love dearly!) are coming together to do what we are most passionate about," said Raymond in an official PlayStation blog. "It’s time for us to refocus on GAMES in a place where we can practice our crafts without any barriers or impediments. We want to create worlds where players can escape, have fun, express themselves, and find community. We want to pour our passion into a project. We want to make something wondrous for people to experience."

The founding of Haven Studios comes a mere month after the news that Raymond - formerly of Ubisoft and Electronic Arts - had left Google following the closure of Stadia's internal studios. In the introductory blog, Raymond alludes to the difficulties she has faced - both in games development and the world at large - over the past year, and how she hopes her studio will offer a metaphorical "haven" for its staff and customers.

"We want to make something wondrous for people to experience. Because we believe in the power of games to bring joy to people’s lives. And Sony does, too. Their commitment to excellence is unmatched. It’s why I couldn’t be happier for their backing and support," continues Raymond. "Together, we want to create games that are a haven for players, and we want to build a studio that is a haven for developers."

I wasn't aware Stadia's internal studios had closed down 🤔

Edited by AriesWarlock

sheeeittttt, I saw "D&D"... ACTION-based combat (I'll never settle for less)... and precisely 1 second of footage and that's all I needed.  SOLD.  Whenever that is released I need it immediately on day 1.

So I went to a Gamestop today; first time I've been since before the pandemic started... and of course, they were "out until 2pm".  Looks like you just missed out on some money, bruh; I was in a spending mood today, and on the hunt for Amalur on Switch since apparently there is a physical version... I was going to check for a PS5 and/or new Xbox of course while I was there, but so much for that....so I guess they only had 1 person on the clock today then?  Not even enough staff to cover that particular hour of the day while he/she was at lunch?  Bruh...

Anyway, yeah---as usual if I can find a physical version, I'll always prefer that....since I trust these game companies about as much as I'd trust an evil djinn/genie.

8 hours ago, JHDK said:

Alamur on Switch seems like another great Lite before sleeping game.

I love lying on my back, playing my Switch Lite in bed.

That thing is literally lighter than my cell phone.

EDIT:

Lighter than my cell phone + Otter Box.

Dunno what kind of mad man rolls with a naked Galaxy 10 Note.

I've had a case on every smart phone I owned because considering how much they cost, it's insane that people don't at least try to protect them. Same with my Switch though, I put a screen protector and have a rubber case that goes on it, and the case actually helps with the ergonomics of playing it hand held a bit. 

That reminds me I have Dishonored 2, and was considering playing it yesterday... I only did the first mission, then got sidetracked by various other games at the time...but that first impression was good; I like when games also account for that detail of what to do about the dead body of an enemy you just killed... since obviously it's bad if the other guards happen to see that.  Little details like that go a long way in making something an interesting gaming experience.  If I recall, it amused me that I could just throw the dead body out the window; haha that's what I did with the first victim, so they wouldn't find him.

edit--on another note, Jade Raymond is still quite adorable... I would jump at a shot with that one, tbh...

Edited by MillionX

Cyael on another Avengers rant here... apparently it will be on Gamepass soon?  I'm continually entertained by how much of  disaster this game turned out to be...and fortunately I didn't waste money or hdd space on it...

**also one recent development---now an upcoming update is actually going to slow down the rate of EXP you get! Bruh... 🤣  There's so many things wrong here it is astounding...

ah, it warms my heart to see others (especially D3 fans, surprisingly) actually making sense about the "online-only" nonsense; some folks in this thread over at the D3 forums made some good points

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/d3/t/offline-mode-to-all-diablos-please/29709/41

Ok yeah---I had to check and be sure... there is indeed a physical version on Switch and it has everything on the cart:

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2021/01/physical_version_of_kingdoms_of_amalur_for_switch_includes_the_full_game_on_cartridge

Edited by MillionX

The topic of best Zelda came up a few days ago, so I started playing ALttP again. 

This game is so very very good. 

The one thing I'd say as a criticism, which really isn't much of one, is I wish that it came out later in the SNES's cycle, cause the music can come off as a little flat sometimes. I mean, the music itself is amazing, but I feel like it wasn't optimized to its hardware as much as it could of been. 

In comparison, when Super Metroid, Earthbound, and DKC dropped, I feel like they figured out how to squeeze as much as they could outta the SNES when it comes to the OST. 

I will say, that SFX in ALttP are pretty stellar, so that part of the sound design is great. 

Buncha FF7 related shit

FF7R Integrated info
* Sonon will not be playable but will act as a sort of “combo extended” for Yuffie. You trigger him by using L2.

* Yuffie will have several unique spell, command and summon materia

*No other content is planned. All work related to FF7R will be on Part 2

FF7 First Soldier Info 

* Nomura admits the game is based on current gaming trends, especially in the mobile market 

*Nomura feels as it will help introduce people to the FF franchise and FF7 in a new and unique way 

* There will be job classes in First Soldier 

FF7 Ever Crisis Info 

* the “Core” FF7 we know of will be “roughly” 10 chapters.

* Nomura does not give a definitive chapter number but says “The player escapes midgar in chapter 3” 

* All chapters will be free to play but weapons in the game are gacha based

* Game will have unused plot threads from original console release. 
* The game will go over the entire entries lore (Advent Children, Before Crisis, Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus)

* FF7 Ever Crisis will connect First Soldier into FF7 continuity 

* There is a new mode that has reworked dungeons 

Edited by iStu X
55 minutes ago, iStu X said:

Buncha FF7 related shit

FF7R Integrated info
* Sonon will not be playable but will act as a sort of “combo extended” for Yuffie. You trigger him by using L2.

* Yuffie will have several unique spell, command and summon materia

*No other content is planned. All work related to FF7R will be on Part 2

FF7 First Soldier Info 

* Nomura admits the game is based on current gaming trends, especially in the mobile market 

*Nomura feels as it will help introduce people to the FF franchise and FF7 in a new and unique way 

* There will be job classes in First Soldier 

FF7 Ever Crisis Info 

* the “Core” FF7 we know of will be “roughly” 10 chapters.

* Nomura does not give a definitive chapter number but says “The player escapes midgar in chapter 3” 

* All chapters will be free to play but weapons in the game are gacha based

* Game will have unused plot threads from original console release. 
* The game will go over the entire entries lore (Advent Children, Before Crisis, Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus)

* FF7 Ever Crisis will connect First Soldier into FF7 continuity 

* There is a new mode that has reworked dungeons 

So... FF7R is basically going to be two parts.

The Hobbit, then The Lord of the Rings?

(Sorry J. R. R. - it was the closest analogy)