Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread: Now Featuring Animated Avatars

21 hours ago, Chadouken said:

Is this your first time, too? And do you play in handheld or docked?

I'm loving my time with it, having picked a knight who is more melee-centric after playing DeSO Remake as a magic user. Although I have taken a break for Outriders, I'm saved right before a boss I slivered on the last attempt so I think I'll be able to fuck him up next go round.

You and @DoctaMarioought to check out Remnant from the Ashes.

It is seriously good, in a Souls way.

I am sorry I didn't check it out sooner.

2 hours ago, JHDK said:

You and @DoctaMarioought to check out Remnant from the Ashes.

It is seriously good, in a Souls way.

I am sorry I didn't check it out sooner.

Soulslikes are very hit or miss for me. Either they do it so well that I figure I might as well just play Souls or they just awful, but I'll look that one up. If it's good and does its own thing well, I'd be down for a game like that.

21 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

This is an odd criticism. Do those games not stand out enough to have it's own merit? 

Very few of then do imo. The only real souls-ish type game that is as good as it's source material while having well more then enough identity of its own is Hollow Knight. Few reach that level tho imo. 

1 hour ago, DoctaMario said:

Soulslikes are very hit or miss for me. Either they do it so well that I figure I might as well just play Souls or they just awful, but I'll look that one up. If it's good and does its own thing well, I'd be down for a game like that.

It is good,and it does its own thing.

It took me a bit to warm up to it,but 9nce it clicked, I was all in.

Few modern day IPs, much less games, do their own sci-fi horror fantasy motif so well as Remnant From the Ashes does.

It has its own themes of play, too - not least of which being that it is mostly a third person shooter, in its battle mechanics, though melee and spells are a large presence, as well.

Its iterative nature, and cycles of repeating with not only different layouts, but different events and even items, is quite compelling, to me.

I was lucky enough to get the AR, on only my 4th Adventure Mode of the first world (fifth iteration, counting campaign), which is insanely lucky, considering the last three were for bosses and their drops.

I find it harder than Souls games, personally.

Edited by JHDK
9 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

This is an odd criticism. Do those games not stand out enough to have it's own merit? 

My main problem with Vigil The Longest Night was that it aped Dark Souls too well. It seemed like almost everything was a nod to either Souls or Bloodborne and while I still thought it was a cool game, it was a little TOO good at it. I don't mind games that take elements from other games, but if everything about them reminds me of those other games, I figure I might as well play that other game. 

Edited by DoctaMario
1 hour ago, DoctaMario said:

My main problem with Vigil The Longest Night was that it aped Dark Souls too well. It seemed like almost everything was a nod to either Souls or Bloodborne and while I still thought it was a cool game, it was a little TOO good at it. I don't mind games that take elements from other games, but if everything about them reminds me of those other games, I figure I might as well play that other game. 

Have you played The Surge? The second game in particular? It's a good souls type game that adds it's own takes to the formula without giving off that feeling. Outside of the sci-fi setting the combat allows you to target limbs to dismember them, directional parrying, being able to switch between inventory loadouts. It's pretty sweet.

3 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

Have you played The Surge? The second game in particular? It's a good souls type game that adds it's own takes to the formula without giving off that feeling. Outside of the sci-fi setting the combat allows you to target limbs to dismember them, directional parrying, being able to switch between inventory loadouts. It's pretty sweet.

See how that sounds like a cool and different take. I'll have to put that one on my watch list. 👍

Edited by DoctaMario
3 hours ago, iStu X said:

The leader of the group 

the party dude

Does machines 

Rude but Cool 

I like that they are going with the O.G. Eastman and Laird personas, and putting them into the mix, gameplay-wise.

"Can't help it... don't think... have no control. Splinter always said so..."

Legit. 👍

sheeeittt, yeah Don was consistently the best pick.  In the classic arcade game, Don and Leo were my top choices.  Hahah Raph was dead last.  In fact, I remember some times when 3 people were already on the machine...and Raphael was the only spot left and seeing that, I'd just go play something else at that point.

Outriders-- my Pyro has surpassed my Trickster in power at this point; I'm up to World Tier 11 in my replay of certain story sections, and challenge tier 6 on Expeditions so far... I can use level 38 items now.  It's interesting how there's some huge advantages to the Pyro, but the character is still in critical trouble once enemies get close....but mannnn when things are at a distance, a level 30 Pyro is basically GOD MODE, folks... it's an odd dichotomy going on there in this character.  When things (usually the creatures) close in on him quickly, Pyro goes from being a God to suddenly being a chump that will probably be killed in the next 2 seconds. 😆

18 minutes ago, iStu X said:

Raphael all day every day*

*except the original game where Donatello was just too busted

Yeah I'll be playing Raph too. Raph and Mike were always my favs but I gravitated more towards Raph in the beatemups

Edited by Gasarocky

IGN has an article talking about the other 3 lords for RE8

https://www.ign.com/articles/resident-evil-village-mother-miranda-other-main-villains-revealed-ign-first

MK reboot takes top spot over the weekend, barely over Demon Slayer

https://www.ign.com/articles/mortal-kombat-narrowly-defeats-demon-slayer-in-weekend-box-office-debut

Sequel for TWEWY took so long because they needed the right environment.....also Kingdom Hearts

https://www.ign.com/articles/neo-the-world-ends-with-you-will-reflect-14-years-of-changes-to-shibuya-culture-and-gaming-hardware

I bet it was 80% KH. 

I feel off KH as a game series during Dream Drop Distance when it was revealed that Xehanort is a Time Wizard Palpatine. 9/10 Time Travel is used as a crutch by hack writers.

I knew the series was only going to go downhill from there. Which it did. KH3 was one of the most disappointing follow up titles I have ever played in any series. It was insulting that fans waiting so long for what they got. 

What made me hate KH as a series itself is learning how badly they handled the square characters which were one of the major appeals of KH, how pointlessly convoluted they made the plot, and how many resources it took from other teams. So many resources that tons of games got shuffled around, delayed, put on the shelf indefinitely or straight up cancelled. 

Fuck alllll that noise. I was one of the biggest KH fans ever. Now the series can complete fuck off and die. Especially due to the fact that 3 was supposed to be the finale of KH yet it wasn’t despite being advertised as such. In fact 3 just made the story even more fucking dumb and convoluted 

fuuuuuuuck Kingdom Hearts

Edited by iStu X

KH3 was somehow made more complicated even tho the creators FORGOT the storyline, which is why the FF characters were left out. You'd think that'd make things simpler but.....

Honestly, I was more disappointed in the combat tho. To go from KH2 which IMO was the pinnacle of the series, to the floaty, easy-mode bullshit in KH3 hurt my heart. It was a major step back, Nothing was satisfying about it 

In Outriders I just put a mod on my shotgun that instantly reloads after a kill if I have 35 percent or less ammo left. The thing is, it works with a huge damage buff skill I have called Twisted Rounds that normally would buff your damage with Anomaly power for the duration of a single magazine. With this mod I can keep the perk active indefinitely. Holy shit it's a fucking game changer!