Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread, vol. 2

9 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Didn't realize Luke's VS2 cancelled out the Shun Goku Satsu....erm Raging Demon

Who would win?

The Shun Goku Satsu, the demon-powered move that hits a thousand times, instantaneous and unstoppable, ultimate move of the Master of the Fist, said to be able to kill anyone who falls in its graps (except for all those that survived)?

OR

One dodgy boi taking a step back?

On 11/30/2021 at 6:50 AM, elliephil said:

Why tho, I thought it was pretty cool and added some depth for offense

Breakers do add depth for offense, there is undeniably more to think about because you have to mix strengths of button/timings based on what you think the opponent will do. Thing is, I draw the line of how much interaction I want right around there.  I can deal with a burst in say GG, because it's a resource that will come up 1-2 times a match and I have a lot of ways to bait it. Some characters don't even have to change their combos to bait bursts.  But in KI you're telling me the reward i get for winning neutral is...more reading my opponent to determine how much damage I earned? It feels terrible and distasteful lol

But it is ultimately a matter of preference that's true.  How much do you like "interacting"/guessing what your opponent will do? If your answer is "as much and as often as possible" ki is there for you.  Me, I enjoy games that let the interacting stop for a bit mid- match, especially after someone has already fucked up enough to get hit

1 hour ago, FlyingVe said:

They said if you friend is hard on boots its probably better to buy cheap ones and accept that you will replace them

That's not good advice. Never buy cheap boots. Your feet and lower back will make you pay for it. I've had Tims, Wolverines, and even a pair of Under Armour boots. All are fine from a comfort standpoint. I found the Wolverine's most comfortable but the Tims, in my experience, are more durable.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
19 hours ago, Vhozite said:

I don’t really agree with this logic at all. Focus Attacks are definitely are garbage game mechanic despite being integral to SF4’s design.

Then what exactly determines an intentional game mechanic from being the "worst ever"? Cause I'm pretty sure both of those were not exactly game breaking.

Focus Attack had a goofy command, but you could play the whole game without them. 

KI, by admission of the guy who made it, was created to have ridiculously long combos. In order to do that you needed a way to get out of them. So the whole game was made to be dumb from the start.

Could be worse though. Vanilla skullgirls was made to have obscenely long combos and no combo breakers.

6 minutes ago, Serpent said:

Wait we can oppress Zoomers now? I've been waiting for this. After four decades of getting mocked by Boomers I'm ready to mock the Zoomers. I'll just pretend they're Boomers, only one letter difference anyway.

No you can't do that. You must mock us in a different way to boomers. Be brash, loud and uncaring.

18 minutes ago, Sonero said:

All your generation knows is dancing on videos, order door dash, be bisexual and not get jobs.

You tell him Perth. Lazy bastards. Back in our day we had to actually go to school. Now these fuckers sit at home and remote learn.

Zoomers are so damn inept they can't even play video games now. They have to watch other people play.

7 hours ago, Sonero said:

KI, by admission of the guy who made it, was created to have ridiculously long combos. In order to do that you needed a way to get out of them. So the whole game was made to be dumb from the start.

That doesn't mean it was "made to be dumb". That means you have to learn how to actually play the game lol.

39 minutes ago, elliephil said:

We are men of refined tastes, we only play the Gawd Games of MvC2 and ST.

Strive is turbo fun though.

The whole point of KI literally do super long combos. In order to let you do that, it needs to have a massive band aid as a core mechanic.  You can load up the HoldBackToBlock documentary and one of the creators will basically say this.

The thing about the game though, is that you can't escape these two core mechanics enough to like other stuff. Its kinda like v-trigger. If you don't like v-trigger, there is no way to avoid it. Super long dumb combos and combo breakers are the identity of Killer Instinct as a series. Love it, hate it is irrelevant. That's what you're playing those games for. You can try and talk up other stuff they did with the game but those two things are inescapable.

37 minutes ago, Sonero said:

The whole point of KI literally do super long combos. In order to let you do that, it needs to have a massive band aid as a core mechanic.

Again, I'm going to assume we aren't talking about KI 2013 lol. I never played og KI any more than casually on super nintendo with friends.

Also, be a man. Play Hyper Fighting.

40 minutes ago, elliephil said:

Again, I'm going to assume we aren't talking about KI 2013 lol.

Wtf does 2013 have to do with anything? They made a KI game. That game is going on with the same ideas as the original one.

" And I had a dream to make a fighting game. I had this idea of "I wanna do bigger combos and I wanna have a resolution to bigger combos."

I'll even time stamp where he says the damn thing. Long combos are ass, having long combos and then dealing with combo breakers is also ass. Watching shitty long combos is boring 98% of the time. The combo has to be insanely hype to look at for it not to be a drag. Even then as a player it sucks having to just sit there and watch things happen.

So the core idea of KI is that you get to do long combos and you can try getting out of them. But if you don't get out of them right, you  sit there eating the long combo.

I'll even timestamp where he says it:

This applies to KI 2013 too.

11 hours ago, Sonero said:

Wtf does 2013 have to do with anything? They made a KI game. That game is going on with the same ideas as the original one.

Because there's more to the 2K13 game than long combos. Most players won't even go for them if you get too predictable with combo routes or have an eye for which strength button was used. 

Original game didn't have throws because Rare at the time thought they were cheap. That obviously didn't take for the new game. 

Edited by Hawkingbird
11 hours ago, Sonero said:

" And I had a dream to make a fighting game. I had this idea of "I wanna do bigger combos and I wanna have a resolution to bigger combos."

I'll even time stamp where he says the damn thing. Long combos are ass, having long combos and then dealing with combo breakers is also ass. Watching shitty long combos is boring 98% of the time. The combo has to be insanely hype to look at for it not to be a drag. Even then as a player it sucks having to just sit there and watch things happen.

So the core idea of KI is that you get to do long combos and you can try getting out of them. But if you don't get out of them right, you  sit there eating the long combo.

I'll even timestamp where he says it:

This applies to KI 2013 too.

There is no way the original KI plays anything like 2013 KI. I don't even know if we are talking about the same thing. If I recall, combo breaking in the old games had to be done really quickly otherwise you eat it all. KI 2013 isn't like that.

That's like saying Street Fighter V goes on with the same ideas as Super Turbo. Like, yeah technically. But in execution? They play way differently.

24 minutes ago, elliephil said:

There is no way the original KI plays anything like 2013 KI. I don't even know if we are talking about the same thing.

How do long combos and combo breakers not apply to KI 2013?

You had people tell you they don't like combo breakers. If you don't like combo breakers, KI as a series is essentially a no go for you. It's baked into the whole series as a foundational idea.

Who ze fuck... Iz Luke? 

Spoiler

Hey guys. 

I have to build my youtube back up again. Luckily I saved a good portion of my old tutorials and match videos from the last ten years ago, so I'll have to reupload them to another channel. 

Evidently, uploading FFVIIRE stuff is cardinal sin to some folks. 

I genuinely hope everyone is doing okay for this holiday! I really apologize for not posting lately. 

3 hours ago, Sonero said:

How do long combos and combo breakers not apply to KI 2013?

You had people tell you they don't like combo breakers. If you don't like combo breakers, KI as a series is essentially a no go for you. It's baked into the whole series as a foundational idea.

Because they don't function the same way as in the older games. The ideas are there, but the way they are used are completely different. You can combo break at any point of getting hit as long as you can spot the right hitstun, it's not always viable to go for max damage combos in KI 2013, and on top of that there is a literal combo limiter in 2013. Og KI did not function that way at all.

It's like saying fireball spamming is "built into" street fighter when sfv fireballs are not anywhere near as strong as the sf2 series.

10 minutes ago, elliephil said:

You can combo break at any point of getting hit as long as you can spot the right hitstun, it's not always viable to go for max damage combos in KI 2013, and on top of that there is a literal combo limiter in 2013. Og KI did not function that way at all.

Right, so even if you do a short combo, you can still get your stuff broken. So if people don't like combo breakers, which can even jack up short combos, why should they play Killer Instinct?

All you did was basically say combo breakers are an integral part of the game. Which Is what I said. Which is also what the guy who came up with the series said.

So if you think the mechanic is ass, then it means that there's no point in you playing KI.

13 minutes ago, elliephil said:

It's like saying fireball spamming is "built into" street fighter when sfv fireballs are not anywhere near as strong as the sf2 series.

Throwing fireballs is a key part of Street Fighter gameplay for all save for SF3. If you don't like dealing with fireballs, this is literally not the franchise for you.

24 minutes ago, Sonero said:

Right, so even if you do a short combo, you can still get your stuff broken. So if people don't like combo breakers, which can even jack up short combos, why should they play Killer Instinct?

That's not how it works, you can vary your timing by linking instead of gatling normals together to make it more difficult to be broken. There is plenty of depth behind the system and exposing a player who will just mash combo breaker is not really that difficult to do.

25 minutes ago, Sonero said:

Throwing fireballs is a key part of Street Fighter gameplay for all save for SF3. If you don't like dealing with fireballs, this is literally not the franchise for you.

But the point is that they don't work the same across every title. That's a fact. A fireball in sf2 is not as strong as one in Alpha or 3 or 4, etc.

Comparing the original KI combo breaking system to the new one is not a fair comparison, the same as a fireball game in sf2 to sfv.

4 minutes ago, Shakunetsu said:

Max is really someone that advocates guest characters, not a fan.

Yeah. TLDR Fuck guest characters. Could my favorite Italian restaurant offer Chinese Food? Sure but if I wanted Chinese Food, I go to a Chinese restaurant. People act like crossover fighters aren't a thing. Who looks at KOF and says "You know that SNK fighting game that doesn't have enough slots for SNK characters? How about we waste slots on non SNK characters?" Dafuq outta here with that nonsense.

On 12/1/2021 at 12:45 AM, Vhozite said:

Just for walking around maybe snow. Nothing too specialized just a brand that will last. This person specifically has a problem with their shoes wearing out really fast that’s all.

I have a pair of Lowas that have lasted me for ten years and counting. They're a bit pricey though.