Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

Elden Ring, folks...

ha, so for quite a while I was fighting Rykard/Great Serpent with just my usual spells... and doing well enough to consistently beat phase 1..then phase 2 was insane..... but it's intended that you use the spear weapon that's just posted right there before the battle.... the special on it is RIDICULOUS.  Since I have a lot of focus points now (about 39), I could just keep spamming the special, which pops the shit out of that boss from a long distance....and it consistently interrupts his moves.  Sure enough... Rykard the Great Serpent was vanquished.  **edit----whoah, 130k runes!!!

...the true power of Alastor, the Tarnished Warlock had claimed another... he continued on for whatever foe would dare challenge him next...

Edited by MillionX

Anyone know of any good resources, YouTube channels, or communities for Shmups (shoot ‘em ups, aka, the classic Raiden-type arcade shooting games)?

I grabbed R-Type Final 2 yesterday and am having a blast with it.

Now I’m getting interested in really digging into these games more, but can’t find much online (other than a somewhat inactive subreddit).

Edited by Mattatsu
30 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

Anyone know of any good resources, YouTube channels, or communities for Shmups (shoot ‘em ups, aka, the classic Raiden-type arcade shooting games)?

I grabbed R-Type Final 2 yesterday and am having a blast with it.

Now I’m getting interested in really digging into these games more, but can’t find much online (other than a somewhat inactive subreddit).

YouTube: Shump Junkie, The Electric Underground, Bullet Heaven

https://shmups.system11.org/index.php

22 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

So you are only ordering a half dozen each then 🙃

I'm gonna go ahead and give this an absolute hell no for this controller.  Not even for novelty or collection purposes.  I can imagine someone legit trying to play using one of this things and having sweaty palms with more insulation and less space for your hands to breathe?  That is a recipe for grossness.

28 minutes ago, Gasarocky said:

We have several shmup fans here as well.

Nice!

I loved these games when I was younger, but I kinda forgot about them tbh (the last one I played regularly was Ikaruga on Dreamcast).

Bought Cuphead this weekend on switch to play with my nephew and I had so much fun during the aviation sections. He left, and I went upstairs, looked at my arcade stick I bought for FGs, and decided to look into a good new game to get. R-Type Final 2 caught my eye (mostly because I liked that it was newer graphics, was native 16:9, and seemed to have a bit more strategic gameplay). Game’s whooping my ass though… I’m in the late 30’s and should probably be playing on the “Kids” difficulty setting 🤣.

Once I’m done this (which will take a while from what I gather), I’ll go into some more classic ones (possibly a vertical scroller).

Edited by Mattatsu

Started playing Yakuza 5. I'm starting to feel bad for Kiryu at this point. It seems that no one wants this guy to have his happy ending. He only gets a year or two of peace before someone he knows pulls him back in over the latest bullshit the Tojo clan got itself into.

The start of 5 is depressing. He's a taxi driver now and he has this "I'm done with life" demeanor. The fuck happened to this man between games? Why isn't he looking after his orphanage? Who's looking after the orphans since he's not there? So many questions

1 hour ago, Hawkingbird said:

Started playing Yakuza 5. I'm starting to feel bad for Kiryu at this point. It seems that no one wants this guy to have his happy ending. He only gets a year or two of peace before someone he knows pulls him back in over the latest bullshit the Tojo clan got itself into.

The start of 5 is depressing. He's a taxi driver now and he has this "I'm done with life" demeanor. The fuck happened to this man between games? Why isn't he looking after his orphanage? Who's looking after the orphans since he's not there? So many questions

Yakuza 5 has some of the best gameplay but the story was a little wtf at times imo.  

2 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

They changed their mind after Yakuza 2. The game was setup for Kiryu to get his happy ending. Then his waifu abruptly leaves to for the US.

19 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

There are aecret ladders in Elden Ring. I knew about the walls and I knew about the new floors...but I didn't know about the ladders. What the fuck....

How does this game have so much fucking content? 

Have you seen the secret walls that take like 50 hits to break? Who the F would hit a wall that much?

I started having a panic attack when wondering if all of the ”hidden path” messages I came across were right.

14 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

Have you seen the secret walls that take like 50 hits to break? Who the F would hit a wall that much?

I just saw those at the same time as the fucking ladders. It's like the secret wall in Arkham Asylun that takes 3 explosive gels to blow up when no other wall in the game works like that. What the fuck yo. 

14 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

I started having a panic attack when wondering if all of the ”hidden path” messages I came across were right.

All the dudes I downvoted and labeled liar with messages that might have been telling the truth....😅

Oh also the Bell Bearing fight in The Isolated Shack in Caelid is bullshit. Whoever put him here didn't think it through cuz the whole area is either a giant cliff or a rabid giant black dog that will attack you while fighting this field boss. Very very frustrating. 

Worth fighting thp as he drops a bell Bearing for each fight. I think there are 4 of them. 

Edited by RSG3
34 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

I just saw those at the same time as the fucking ladders. It's like the secret wall in Arkham Asylun that takes 3 explosive gels to blow up when no other wall in the game works like that. What the fuck yo. 

All the dudes I downvoted and labeled liar with messages that might have been telling the truth....😅

Oh also the Bell Bearing fight in The Isolated Shack in Caelid is bullshit. Whoever put him here didn't think it through cuz the whole area is either a giant cliff or a rabid giant black dog that will attack you while fighting this field boss. Very very frustrating. 

Worth fighting thp as he drops a bell Bearing for each fight. I think there are 4 of them. 

That one in Caelid is exactly the one I decided to put off for later lol

So you all just kill all the merchants?  I didn't even know that was a thing until I accidentally pushed my R1 button and attacked dudes donkey a while back and his ass went HAM on me.  I ended up killing him but damn it wasn't easy, and thought it was cool how even though he dead I could still buy his shit by giving the bell bearing to the 2 dudes in the round table.