Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

BLOOD HUNT---

man...I just thought about the damage I got on that 1 guy who didn't see me since I was crouched and invisible with a shotgun... it was 146 points... and the normal hp is 200 not counting any body armor a person may have picked up ...definitely an "oh shit!" moment for him out of nowhere. 😆 I love that.  I only just now messed with customization a bit; I changed him from the default outfit to a brown leather jacket at least. 

The queue/wait times are getting pretty bad though... a little while ago I was waiting on another match, but the time just kept increasing until eventually it said "20 minutes.." and I just gave up at that point....it's yet another reason why I'd prefer games that have actual story mode/PvE content.  Multiplayer should always just be a nice "extra" thing on the side.

Edited by MillionX

Read about the news about mandatory trial versions of games for PS+ subscribers

holy shit, this is actually amazing. I remember how back during PS3 days you had the option of downloading hour-long trials for most AAA projects and if you liked the intro sequences and wanted to continue - all you had to do was go to PS Store, purchase the "unlock key" and boom, the full game is ready to go (since the trials downloaded the entire games, unlike dedicated demos which only had a slice of the content)

This will also hopefully help avoid the shit like 2042 being purchased en masse when people can try them out for a hour or two and see how shitty the game is

The Nosferatu trailer for Blood Hunt was pretty cool too:

...I was also forgetting about "sewer bomb" in yesterday's matches... that could be devastating to already have a bomb in place, then crouch to be invisible with something strong like a shotgun... your victim runs into the bomb then you destroy whatever was left of their health with the shotgun.  It's a fast-paced game though so that may be tough to set up, I bet.

57 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Came across this video on another forum and am pretty much in agreement 100% with it. 

I usually put some of the vids you guys put up in my watch later playlist buy its been slow this morning and I had a chance to watch this.  Pretty solid video.  BotW doesnt really have much markers on its map that you don't put yourself but I've never really considered turning everything off the HUD and experiencing the games in that manner....may actually do that for my master mode run that I'm semi doing currently in BotW.

9 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

I usually put some of the vids you guys put up in my watch later playlist buy its been slow this morning and I had a chance to watch this.  Pretty solid video.  BotW doesnt really have much markers on its map that you don't put yourself but I've never really considered turning everything off the HUD and experiencing the games in that manner....may actually do that for my master mode run that I'm semi doing currently in BotW.

I really liked Master Mode in BOTW, only thing you get to have is your hearts. I've honestly gotten in the habit of disabling mini maps in open world games, I much prefer Elden Ring/Horizons use of a compassion over a mini map. You actually learn the world and land marks instead of staring at the mini map the whole time. Turning it off was one of the best things I ever did in The Witcher 3. 

2 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

I actually turned ON the hud in Elden Ring.  I didn't like how it only showed up when you were doing certain things.  I wanted to always see the information all the time.  I'm glad they make things like this settings though since people prefer different things.

I personally don't NOT enjoy games that have the Ubisoft formula, but I just don't typically enjoy open world games in general.  Typically they feel super repetitive very quickly.  The ones I have enjoyed are Breath of the Wild, God of War, and Ghost of Tsushima.

The first 2 were already well established franchises that I enjoyed and would give them a shot regardless.  I loved how God of War basically reinvented itself.  It felt like no god of war prior.  I would have been perfectly happy if that game was super linear too like The Last of Us or Uncharted.  Breath of the Wild, I dunno why I enjoyed it so much to be honest.  It did feel pretty damn repetitive with the 120 shrines where some of them were literally identical with the same boss that just had more/less strength.  I hated how weapons broke so quickly but later on that became a non issue and you get TOO many weapons.  There was A LOT of baren places in the world where nothing was there.  I thought the climbing/stamina stuff was kind of lame and annoying.  But it was Link and I enjoyed the 4 beasts a lot.

Ghost of Tsushima I just LOVED the environment and world.  I also really enjoyed the combat and story in the game too though so that helps.  But I even did all of the side missions and stuff which did start to feel repetitive, but I dunno, I just enjoyed the world and atmosphere so much.

But Elden Ring is on another level.  And A LOT of it is because there is zero hand holding.  You get a much better satisfaction feeling in it when you accomplish side missions than you do in the other games where it is literally go from point A to point B, knowing exactly where they are.  The mystique around Elden Ring is just incredible too, and the scope of the world is unreal.  I remember when I first got to the underworld and was like WTF THERE IS AN UNDERWORLD TOO?  Then later on you find out not only is there 1 part, but more than that.  Oh and the first part has MORE parts you can't access until later on.  And then after you realize the initial size of the map, is not the actual size of the full map, it's like HOLY SHIT!  And then again, even THAT is not hte full size you are like WHAT THE FUCK?

And nothing in it really feels forced or unnecessary.  That is what is amazing about it.  The variety in enemies too.  None of the other games I mention are even CLOSE to the variety in enemies as Elden Ring.

I could go on and on about how much I enjoyed that experience but I'll stop lol.

21 minutes ago, purbeast said:

The variety in enemies too.  None of the other games I mention are even CLOSE to the variety in enemies as Elden Ring.

Dude it blows my mind how often I see people complaining that Elden Ring reuses its enemies and bosses too much. I'm like really? It has like 70 unique enemies and bosses is really high to. They use the Erdtree Grave Watchdog boss 7 times which might be a bit much but there's over 100 boss fights so is it really? 

26 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Dude it blows my mind how often I see people complaining that Elden Ring reuses its enemies and bosses too much. I'm like really? It has like 70 unique enemies and bosses is really high to. They use the Erdtree Grave Watchdog boss 7 times which might be a bit much but there's over 100 boss fights so is it really? 

The Erdtree boss being a dupe makes sense though in the context of the game too.

And yeah, there are a handful of dragons, but none of them really feel the same to fight other than when you had multiples of the same kind at the same time.

But since there are no markers telling you where to go in Elden Ring everyone just uses a guide of some kind they find online.  I know a number of you will say "I didnt use a guide" or "I didnt use a guide till...".  But you're full of it.  Everyone uses a guide to find their way around in elden ring else they'd take years (as long as me) to finish the fuckin' game.

P.S.  Finding your way around in the game does not take skill or anything.  It just takes time and most people dont want to spend hunneds of hours wandering around lost.

Edited by Faltimar the Dark

I didn't use a guide till I got to the last boss and wanted to see what I missed. I've used one on subsequent pkaythroughs to rind shit I found on my first run but couldn't remember where, like the Dragoncrest Shield Talisman. Markers wouldn't help with that kind of stuff anyway. That's more for side quests which really aren't as esoteric as people say if you just pay attention to what the NPCs say and explore pretty decently. You'll miss some but you'll find others. I did all of Ranni's questline without ever looking it up in a guide. Millicent tells you exactly the direction she's going in for you to find her, otherwise she appears near Grace Sites everyone will find. 

You really don't need a guide for these games, that's mostly an issue for people who shit at exploring and are used to having a check list in a question that tells them the region their missing shit, while probably highlighting it on their map or compass or something. 

I found almost every shrine in BOTW without a guide as well. I'm missing like 5 or 10 of them (this includes the DLC content) I just never found them all because I started playing something else. 

Generally when I need a guide it's to solve a puzzle of some kind, usually with an esoteric solution. Guides for exploration are rather pointless to me because exploration isn't hard and is half the point of the game to begin with. If you don't want to explore and just have item locations spelled out for you I question why you're really bothering to in the first place. If you don't wanna spend time lost in a world dedicated to you exploring it then again I ask why the fuck are you even bothering to play? Getting list is half the point. Even in the older Souls games they designed the world for you to get lost in. Exploration is half the game. I found most stuff in the game on my own and it only took around 100 hours. 

Also even without a guide it took me a fraction of the time to hit lvl 40 as it seemed to take you to get there, you where like over 30 hours and still sub lvl 40, you're experience isn't most other people's honestly because you seem to kinda sorta fucking suck Elden Ring lol. 

Edited by RSG3

spacer.png

Anyhow, I started playing this game a week or so ago.  Its pretty fun and I generally don't like crafting and shit in games.

I'm still pluggin' away at Weird West and Elden Ring.  I'm just trying to get lot of goods and skills in WW cause all that stuff carries over to the next character you play as.  I think there are 3 or 4 different characters/stories.  ER I'm still just wandering around.  After I beat that margarete monster I just been wandering around inside this castle.  Found a guy that sells spells or some shit...assassin type spells.  Globe of Darkness and Silent Footfall...my kinda stuff. 

Edited by Faltimar the Dark
1 hour ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

But since there are no markers telling you where to go in Elden Ring everyone just uses a guide of some kind they find online.  I know a number of you will say "I didnt use a guide" or "I didnt use a guide till...".  But you're full of it.  Everyone uses a guide to find their way around in elden ring else they'd take years (as long as me) to finish the fuckin' game.

P.S.  Finding your way around in the game does not take skill or anything.  It just takes time and most people dont want to spend hunneds of hours wandering around lost.

Umm I didn't use a guide at all for Elden Ring and I don't really give a shit if you believe me or not.  I even got Ranni's ending.

The only time I started looking at a guide was after I beat the final boss to see what I missed.  I missed like 6 caves/catacombs/tomb things.  Then a handful of legendary items.  One I can't even get because it's only available in the Capital pre-ash.  There was a big dragon boss I missed on Crumbling Altus too and I think that was the only "major" boss I missed.

It took me 144 hours to finish it my first play through.

Edited by purbeast

man... I'd like to try the best of both worlds control-wise and use a left analog stick for movement and a mouse control for looking around in something like Blood Hunt... I bet that's exactly the kind of "groove" I could get into 🤔  Unfortunately this isn't an option for that game, of course.  From what I hear, unfortunately you can't use mouse for pretty much any game on PS5...?

Elden Ring--- heh, I was just telling a friend yesterday when we brought up Skyrim that there's basically no further need for that game, imo... now that Elden Ring exists.  (haha it will take another 62 years for the next Elder Scrolls anyway, unless Microsoft lights a fire under their ass to get some shit done) The only little nitpick that comes to mind when comparing the 2 is that Elden Ring isn't a world where you can become a vampire or werewolf, sadly.... unlike the world of Elder Scrolls.  There's enemies that appear to be vampire-bat women but that's about it, unfortunately.  

Edited by MillionX
34 minutes ago, MillionX said:

man... I'd like to try the best of both worlds control-wise and use a left analog stick for movement and a mouse control for looking around in something like Blood Hunt... I bet that's exactly the kind of "groove" I could get into 🤔  Unfortunately this isn't an option for that game, of course.  From what I hear, unfortunately you can't use mouse for pretty much any game on PS5...?

You ever play Metroid Prime 3? The Wiimote and nunchuck are one of the best control schemes I've ever used, specifically for that game (no waggle mechanics).

Blood Hunt... I think a few more people are playing at this point...either that or more console players turned off the crossplay option, leading to a bigger console pool, I guess?

So I finally started getting some kills... solo queue.  My tactics are actually paying off sometimes... always going for cheap shots on people who are currently distracted.  About 2 matches ago I was 9th out of the 40 in there.  

funny screw-up... I saw a firefight in the distance, one guy on the rooftops, another on street level... the guy on the street got downed... at first it didn't look like his killer was going to follow-up on that, so I zipped over there asap to get that free "diablerie" meal.... sure enough the other guy popped up while I was in the middle of that snack... my "vanish" ability had already been used in getting over there so I couldn't use that to get away in time 😆  ehhh that's what I get for being a little greedy snake, trying to steal someone else's well-earned meal.  The intended victim actually got back up as well (when downed, you are "regenerating" and can get back up if no one finishes the job), since his killer was distracted by shooting at me.

Edited by MillionX

CoD Modern Warfare 2  uhhh...reboot...2022?  You know what I mean.  It's been announced

I highly doubt it's really a "new era" but sure.

There's also rumors of a leaked script of the Mario Movie floating around that Jeff Grubb also talks about.  I read over the leak and it's interesting...more than likely if it's real it's gonna be mostly obsolete with the delay happening.  If you want to look over it you could easily do a quick search.

Yuji Naka is filing a lawsuit with Squeenix over Balan Wonderworld, Naka got booted out of the director's seat 6 months before the games release and says the game was unfinished

https://www.gematsu.com/2022/04/yuji-naka-was-removed-as-balan-wonderworld-director-half-a-year-before-release-claims-game-was-unfinished

Tales of Arise shipments and digital sales reach 2 mill

https://www.gematsu.com/2022/04/tales-of-arise-shipments-and-digital-sales-top-two-million

^ha, so the pathetic chumps win again with more cut content to appease them, I guess... "oh please remove the problematic content that makes fun of us!"  I guess some folks have no concept of "thick skin" at all, apparently.  God forbid your little group is offended for 6.2 seconds at some point in life...can't have that.  Kindergarten-minded ass softies.  So everything else in the world can be the target of jokes and comical references in the various forms of entertainment out there.... just not their group?  Ok yeah, that makes sense.  We can laugh at everything else....just not those weak little babies over there, apparently.

Oh yeah you know this will hit that new Saint's Row coming later this year too.  It's basically guaranteed that it will be a pansy-ass "CLEAN" game that plays it safe on everything.  I'd bet there won't even be any pimps and hos in the game...or if there's hos... definitely no pimps (*just "madam" characters since you can't show a male character in any sort of superior position over female characters....that's the new rule in all entertainment now.)

Enjoy your always-watered-down , always "clean" "rated G" entertainment era, folks.  I'm sure it's going to be a lot of fun, right?  Sure.

edit---ah, the latest World of Darkness vid with Blood Hunt and other stuff

Edited by MillionX

So there is cross play in that Vampire game.  Maybe I'll run into Million at some point. 

Anyhow I like this battle royale game.  I've tried a number of them but I always end up bored of them in a week or so.  I like this one and another one called Super Animal Royale.

@MillionXI would imagine PS5 users turning off crossplay cause they're at a disadvantage.

1 hour ago, RSG3 said:

Nice. I've never played that game but the designs are really cool, I'd be tempted to pick up the Amiibo for it based on character design alone. 

It’s a decent piece. The figure is actually fairly hefty compared to most amiibo but that’s because in terms of plastic used compared to others it’s “bigger”  and thus heavier than most amiibo. The little details in the dragon arm, noodle arm and attire are really well done. 

If you or anyone else is wanting it your best places to look are Best Buy and GameStop. Best Buy only have them for in-store pick up and the pick up isn’t available until the 7th.

While GameStop’s online inventory system is really hit or miss. The website said the GameStop near my friends house was out of stock but when we swung by after getting groceries next door they still had several in-stock. So just call ahead to double check so you’re not wasting a trip. 

Edited by iStu X

Well, VtM: Shadows of New York is on sale for $5.19 now; ending in 2 days.  This is a bit tempting at such a low price.... I might be forever torn on whether or not to get that since I love the lore BUT it's one of those visual novel "games".  At least the artwork and some of the music is cool...but of course one could easily check that out for free online.

Other things of note...

Far Cry: Blood Dragon is 9.74 at the moment.

Slain: Back from Hell is 5.99

Carrion = 11.99

Devil May Cry Collection = 17.99

Scarlet Nexus = 29.99

Skul: The Hero Slayer = 13.99