Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

I checked out a couple games yesterday.

This one is called Ravenous Devils.  I guess its like a shop/store management point and click adventure game.  I dunno.  Its pretty cool though and mad grizzly.  hmhmhm

The other game I tried is MythForce.  Its got a cool art style, like 80's cartoon but better...yeah.  Its a rogue style game and its an EA game, so its pretty rough right now.  But if the devs keep at it it could be a pretty dope game.  Gonna try co-op today and see how that is. 

The Gunk finally made its way to Steam so that's nice.  Its a really cool game and its not very long.  Rogue Legacy 2 is outta EA and that's also pretty cool.  Its a good game as well.

10 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

I picked up Elden Ring. Before I start I want to know the best path forward in terms of build. In past Souls I usually went with pure melee strength builds but that's apparently suicide with Elden. I'm leaning on Strength/faith and wondering if that's good enough. 

Melee Str is really strong lol. 

I'll be honest every build is really strong, but for easiest, Bleed is really good and Int is really good with the right gear. Faith is really good most of its spells are found mid to late game.

I'm running a Str/Int build right now. Started pure Str with the Greatsword, but respect into Str/Int to use the Royal Greatsword and it's beating. 

Jmyou can respect so honestly do what looks or sounds fun and if it's not respect later. 

Dexterity effects cast speed so Dex/Int or Faith is a good combo. 

Edited by RSG3

I'm a big fan of the Faith/Arcane build... it made some things surprisingly easier than expected.  You get such huge damage out of Bleed and Scarlet Rot it's insane....my main thing for Rot was that Dragon Breath ability.  For the bleed, I always had my "Reduvia" dagger equipped.  There's also a katana I think "Rivers of Blood" that is pretty ridiculous...the damage is crazy.  

The other popular easier route is to go with sorcery either starting as Prisoner or Astrologer.  You can get one of the best staffs in the game "meteor staff" super early...in that same area you can also get "Rock Sling" (which is naturally boosted by the meteor staff!) which is one of the best spells, imo.  With high intelligence, that spell with that staff hits enemies like a truck....I am not even sure if anything has high resistance to it either, since the rocks are counting as physical damage.

...mannnn I don't even know what to play at the moment; I was just messing around in Wonderlands and Diablo 3 earlier, but I also want to play Godfall and Elden Ring... and now of course I have Blood Hunt going on with PS5 lately...gotta get as many early cheap kills as possible before the skill of the other fans far surpass my occasional cheap/lucky shots.

sheeeittt, some story, PvE content would be so cool in that... imagine; missions against the Entity soldiers and other vampire factions, other supernatural beings, etc....like you're fighting with other vamps and then  a couple of werewolves show up to start trouble...(*note---sadly it would indeed take multiple vamps to take on 1 werewolf in World of Darkness.  Yes, the balance is that far off, unfortunately.  Wolves are quite ridiculous compared to the general power level/capability of an "average" vampire.  If it's 1 on 1 and you're the vamp... you should run away asap.)

Edited by MillionX

I went on and got Shadows of New York... since it's only 5 bucks and change right now, and I had enough Reward points to cover that so I wasn't even paying for it directly anyway.  The characters from that and the "Coteries" game are pretty interesting, and I'm hoping they show up later in other VtM games.

It's a late start but I got into Diablo 3's new season earlier yesterday; already did the challenge rift for the week...which always gives your new season character a good start with a few million gold and materials.

13 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

I picked up Elden Ring. Before I start I want to know the best path forward in terms of build. In past Souls I usually went with pure melee strength builds but that's apparently suicide with Elden. I'm leaning on Strength/faith and wondering if that's good enough. 

Every kind of build has gross shit and pure melee is NOT suicide, anyway, Str/Fth is a great combo but like RSG said the better Faith spells come later in the game so you could probably focus on Str for some of the early game as you can get some great str weapons early on as long with some disgusting ashes of war (weapon arts)

This random person I just noticed on reddit had some cool highlights... playing as a Ventrue character:

Sometimes this game also reminds me of those good ol' days of Unreal Championship 2, which had a mixture of melee with the usual gunplay...but also with superhuman abilities in the mix....it was why UC2 will forever be one of my favorites of all time.  (e.g.---really cool shit too, btw---things like the "wraith form" the Necris characters had... the juggernaut characters becoming temporarily invincible, super speed/agility, "ethereal" form, etc.)

Oh yeah---I noticed there's also a very "Blade" looking trenchcoat/outfit in the game, btw... haha I might have to get that 

Edited by MillionX

Yo @MillionXwas recently discovered the Glintblade Phalanx Ash of War has a unique feature. Its an Ash of war that does summon swords,, but the summon swords pick up your weapons affinities. So if you put it on say a fire weapon the swords now do split fire/magic damage. 

I wonder if this intended or a glitch, either way it's pretty cool. 

Interesting...  I'll have to try it.  Since I started off as sorcery on one character, and Arcane/Faith with another character, I never actually used ashes of war....other than the one that is naturally part of the Reduvia dagger...that move where it looks like you're slinging blood at the enemy.

ha, I wonder how many people have re-created Vergil and use the summoned swords as their regular thing? 😆  It fits.

*I should track down Malenia and see what all the fuss is about... I know that many consider her to be one of the toughest bosses in the game.  

Meanwhile... in Shadows of New York-- easy achievement points here since it's a visual novel... yeahhh the girls in this are HOT.  I'm sure some fans of this have recreated the characters in Blood Hunt already.  The main character reminds me of 90s-era Winona Ryder... I had it bad for that one ever since Beetlejuice.  I'd still hit it today, tbh.  Anyway, I'm really loving the music in this game too.

Tried out some beta build of this game here.  Its pretty dope and has potential to be a good game.  Not much to the game yet.  A basic control tutorial, the practice room in the video below, bad guy swarm mode and one level intro part.

Edit - These games look pretty cool.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1252680/SENTRY/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1389020/The_Cleaner/

Edited by Faltimar the Dark
46 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I react wtf but I’m actually not even remotely surprised. Squee has been getting increasingly frustrated with their western studios and subsidiaries for the last decade, if not longer. 

They had likely been sitting on this decision for a while but the last few blunders (COUGH AVENGERS COUGH)  is likely what finally convinced them to pull the trigger. 

Edited by iStu X

Elden Ring...

Another hellish series of fights against Astel... it took quite a while but I finally got lucky and got him with this new character on ps5.... level 85 at the time; Arcane/Faith. (this one started as a Prophet) 

I'm nearing the end of Ranni's quest now... oh yeah I have to make sure this character gets the Tiche summon.

...so continues the story of the mysterious Tarnished that would be the consort of Mistress Ranni....

edit---ok yeah... experiencing this again reinforces my stance on the Tiche summon... I'd say they shouldn't nerf this because of just how much shit you have to go through to get it.... the whole Ranni questline, several dragons you need to either fight or get past... tons of bosses including Astel (it still seems like you need luck on your side to avoid the grab) and Radahn (*though he isn't quite as bad as he was pre-patch), and then the hardest Evergaol fight in the game by a longshot.  (other Evergaol bosses are like Krillin, compared to Alecto being basically Ultra Instinct Goku) Man, after going through allllll that.... hell yeah you deserve the reward to be something godlike.

Edited by MillionX
7 hours ago, iStu X said:

I react wtf but I’m actually not even remotely surprised. Squee has been getting increasingly frustrated with their western studios and subsidiaries for the last decade, if not longer. 

They had likely been sitting on this decision for a while but the last few blunders (COUGH AVENGERS COUGH)  is likely what finally convinced them to pull the trigger. 

I'm not surprised they were sold. I had to look up Embracer Group though. Found out they are huge BTW. As for the blunders, they had blunders but I'm certain it's Square Enix's fault. This Balan Wonderworld and Babylon's Fall situation only solidifies my opinion. I mean who thinks putting single player focused devs on a Live Service game is good idea. Especially after it blows up in your face once. Probably the same people that thinks can the lead developer of a game half way through development and pushing it out unfinished. 

Edited by Darc_Requiem
8 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Embracer sees an opportunity to invest in these franchises, as well as the additional acquired intellectual property such as Legacy of Kain

head explode GIF

SQ was never satisfied. Their best selling Tomb Raider performed below their expectations apparently. SE put their trust (and money) on Crystal Dynamics who asked for a budget that was bigger than what they could deliver. Hopefully they won't try to be so ambitious if they make a new LoK game.

Edited by AriesWarlock

It's Square Enix Corperate's direct fault the Deus Ex franchise is in the shit hole its in now. Literally corperates fault and they won't take accountability for it at all. Both of the newest Deus Ex games are fantastic but Corperate just had to do that greedy as fuck "Augment your Special Edition" bullshit and ran the series name through the fucking mud for nothing more then greed. 

In many ways SE pisses me the fuck off. 

Edited by RSG3
10 minutes ago, Camacho said:

I finished the main story in Ghost of Tsushima yesterday. I'm usually not very interested in storylines in games, but man that one was really good. Definitely tugs the heartstrings in a way that only the best movies and series do, and arguably moreso since you're more vested in the characters by virtue of the medium. 

GoT was game of the year IMO. Most open world games have these tacked on feeling side quests. Ghost of Tsushima's side quests had the same level of care as the main story line. That game is damned exceptional.

15 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I remember the Reboot doing numbers, everyone was impressed, and SE was like "it didn't meet our expectations". Which was met with a near universal  "WTF were expectations!?"

The original DID sell and was received rather well.

I believe it was the sequels that kinda took the steam away.

6 minutes ago, Lantis said:

The original DID sell and was received rather well.

I believe it was the sequels that kinda took the steam away.

Nah they were complaining about the original reboots sales. 

https://www.eurogamer.net/tomb-raider-has-sold-3-4-million-copies-failed-to-hit-expectations

Edit: original reboot....what a phrase

Edited by Darc_Requiem

Rogue Legacy 2:

Been branching out and unlocking new classes, so far my three top classes are Valkyrie, Cook and Bard.

Valkyrie:  Can attack in 8 directions and can pogo off of enemies that are directly below.  Can also refect projectiles with special.

Cook:  Can reflect projectiles with regular attack which helps considering some parts of this game are LITTERED with projectile throwing enemies.  Is a little gimped by having short range and the primary weapon not scaling as well as other fighters.

Bard:  Can play ranged and leave musical notes all over the place which keep damaging enemies.  Basically this class is runaway storm. I suspect this class has the most potential to be top tier if built right.

My favorite innate ability so far is Vamprism.  It's just too GOOD since this game is so cheap about giving out health and dishing out unavoidable damage.

Elden Ring---

Day 2 of this now... Still at it trying to beat Alecto on this new character.... I can't even get her below 65% or so.  I've reset my skills about 3 times at this point.  Yep, it was definitely a fluke when I beat her the first time.  I notice that the insanely useful "Stars of Ruin" so far isn't really doing much on her.  

Adula's Moonblade seems like a good option so far; I'm actually managing to at least damage her with that... of course the problem is dodging her 987,002 moves per second she's doing, along with that ridiculous area-effect downward slam that has insane reach.  I think I said this before when struggling against this one... it's like if you as a normal human being are trying to fight someone like Spiderman or the Flash....and they aren't holding back just because you're a slow-ass regular human.  No, you cannot keep up.

edit---I don't think she gets hung up on the rock anymore, so that little cheese method might've been patched out.

edit 2----annnnd GOT her... hell yeah... I got back into the groove of things there.  The Adula's Moonblade was indeed The Way....I just kept waiting for those 2 occasions where it's safe to hit her. (after either type of jumping attack she does; there's a delay there.  I temporarily went all in on sorcery and had the "Snow Witch" hat to boost Adula's Moonblade...along with that talisman that boosts sorceries)  Oh yeah it's ON now since this character finally has Black Knife Tiche....THE best summon possibly in gaming history.

...ha, just ran into the dragon Ekzykes!  So...now I have the superior version of the Dragon Rot breath attack!

Edited by MillionX