Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

Just now, TheInfernoman said:

I mean I kind of knew the answer but I still baffles me that success has been shown that maintaining a decent faithfulness to source material yields more viewers and trust in the quality of the show/movie. 

Well, with how Netflix and other streaming services are bleeding subscribers, I bet that we will see less and less of those kind of "adaptations".

With Cowboy Beebop and Resident Evil being so poorly received and lacking engagement on the platform, and with what sounds like it will be terrible Avatar re imagining, I bet that they will finally learn their lesson.

Hopefully One Piece will be spared, but it seems that it will be too late for Death Note, which suposedly has a series in the works, which I have 0 faith it will be good, lol.

If they manage to not be as crap as the netflix movie, it will be an improvement, but I don't doubt they will do some stupid shit that will keep it on par.

Most people producing shows and movies in the past several years have some sort of "agenda" to push...or at least they're BSing it and just hopping on certain agenda bandwagons (girl and lgbtq power...along with race swaps but only a particular kind of race-swap, of course) since they figure that in itself might generate more views/publicity.  This is why 95+% of entertainment is doomed...there is no hope of good quality for nearly anything out there.  At this point I'm just laughing from the sidelines, wondering "...so how will they fuck this one up?" each time a major new thing is announced.  I kinda wish I knew more about One Piece so I could laugh at that too, because you know they will race and gender swap 1 or more people there too, since obviously general audiences just LOVE being preached too, y'know 😆  

I look forward to the future DragonBall Super live-action movie where Videl, Chichi and Bulma (*who is now a 15-year old black girl) are the ones that step in to defeat Jiren and Toppo because Goku, Vegeta and the other guys got crippled early on.  

...or that Bleach movie where Ichigo gets knocked out in the first 10 minutes so it's up to Orihime (played by Zendaya) to (easily) defeat Aizen, Tousen and Gin and all the Espadas by herself.  Rukia is also gay now and in love with Orihime.

..or that new Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain movie where Kain is now a trans-woman who goes on to overthrow all the black women that were obviously in several positions power across the world during that point in history.

2 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

I liked live action GiTS. I thought they did a pretty good job. A corporation being the badguy is hardly new for Ghost. 

Is not new, but the way it was handled in the movie was weaksauce.

For me it lacked everything that makes GitS great, and what made me enjoy most of the GitS works.

1 hour ago, RSG3 said:

Now that I think about it I just remembered that the CGI Ghost in the Shell was some of the worst GiTS I'd ever watched. That shit was aimless, boring, and fucking ugly to boot. Dunno how it managed to be less engaging then Arise was. 

I have yet to watch that.

I heard is no bueno.

1 minute ago, Lantis said:

So we can get more of bland Cole's antics? No thank you....

MK 2021 was pretty bad. Not Annihilation levels of terrible, but still quite the letdown

Cole is unfortunately not going to go anywhere because the suits put him there.  Best case scenario would be if they let him get killed off but I'm sure that's off the table so the we gotta hope for the middle scenario where they actually make Cole a better character and don't feed him boss characters that he has no right killing off...cause I swear to god if he ends up killing Shang Tsung or something and they didn't work to make it earned then I'm probably out.  Arcana is not going to go anywhere either unfortunately since it's ingrained in the lore as the catch all to explain everything so I so at this point I'm just hoping the characters are done better and the fight sequences better.

Hard-To-Get Infamous Second Son DLC Now Free On PlayStation Store
8718b9de82fe1711fddcef5dcfdd608d.jpg
If you’ve been thinking about revisiting Infamous Second Son, Sucker Punch Productions’ 2014 PlayStation 4 exclusive, now might be a good time since some rare DLC is suddenly free on the PlayStation Store for the first time. Cole’s Legacy provided some connective tissue between PS3’s Infamous 2 and Infamous Second Son, but was previously only available via pre-order or a special edition of the base game.

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP9000-CUSA00223_00-UNLOCKCOLEMISSIO

Edited by AriesWarlock
3 hours ago, Hecatom said:

Is not new, but the way it was handled in the movie was weaksauce.

For me it lacked everything that makes GitS great, and what made me enjoy most of the GitS works.

That's weird, its a pretty quintessential Ghost in the Shell story. It's nit the strongest but I can think of far weaker Ghost in the Shell stories. All of Man Machine Interface comes to mind. 

3 hours ago, Hecatom said:

I have yet to watch that.

I heard is no bueno.

It fucking sucks.

Edit: I highly doubt Atlus is going to do anything to make the PS5 version of Royak worth purchasing again. I'm sure I'll be just fine with my overstuffed PS4 copy. 

Bring on Souls Hackers 2 I'm over Persona 5. 

Edited by RSG3
12 hours ago, Lantis said:

So we can get more of bland Cole's antics? No thank you....

MK 2021 was pretty bad. Not Annihilation levels of terrible, but still quite the letdown

Would've been great if they mostly kept it about Scorpion and Sub Zero being a horror movie villain. It's when it went to Cole (not the directors fault on that) and the other shit where it turned to mediocrity. Kano was a highlight too

18 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

The CGI Movies are fine. Live action is the problem. 

Given how RE is rendered now, production of a live action series make less sense. 

14 hours ago, Hecatom said:

Is simple, many "creatives" see established ips as vehicles for their ideas that they couldn't get off the ground.

Just look at Halo, which was turned into a generic scifi story with the generic is the establishment that is the true evil, like what they did with GitS movie.

So far, I think the only live action adaptation that is unanimously considered an improvement over the source material is The Boys, but that is because the original comic kind of sucked.

Agreed on all points here. Most of these stories try to shoot for a larger audience, but that also makes the story elements bland. 

14 hours ago, Hecatom said:

Well, with how Netflix and other streaming services are bleeding subscribers, I bet that we will see less and less of those kind of "adaptations".

With Cowboy Beebop and Resident Evil being so poorly received and lacking engagement on the platform, and with what sounds like it will be terrible Avatar re imagining, I bet that they will finally learn their lesson.

Hopefully One Piece will be spared, but it seems that it will be too late for Death Note, which suposedly has a series in the works, which I have 0 faith it will be good, lol.

If they manage to not be as crap as the netflix movie, it will be an improvement, but I don't doubt they will do some stupid shit that will keep it on par.

It's crazy to think that Sonic the Hedgehog may be one of the best adaptations done at this point. Netflix just needs to stop trying at this point. 

1 hour ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

Given how RE is rendered now, production of a live action series make less sense. 

Agreed on all points here. Most of these stories try to shoot for a larger audience, but that also makes the story elements bland. 

It's crazy to think that Sonic the Hedgehog may be one of the best adaptations done at this point. Netflix just needs to stop trying at this point. 

I much as I enjoy the Sonic movies they aren't really great adaptations but what they have though has been good though.

Also I don't want Netflix to stop because even though they've made some of the worst VG related content they've also made some of the best VG related content.  It's mostly their live action takes that have been gone horrible or meh.  They just need to stick with doing animated content until the people doing live action get their shit together.

1 minute ago, Sonichuman said:

I much as I enjoy the Sonic movies they aren't really great adaptations but what they have though has been good though.

I could see that. For the most part I treat an adaptation as borrowing from another medium and using that source material as a foundation. I look at the 2007 Transformers movie as an adaptation of the 1984 TV show. 

4 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

Also I don't want Netflix to stop because even though they've made some of the worst VG related content they've also made some of the best VG related content.  It's mostly their live action takes that have been gone horrible or meh.  They just need to stick with doing animated content until the people doing live action get their shit together.

You're right, maybe I should have said "live action" as Castlevania is top-tier. 

27 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

I much as I enjoy the Sonic movies they aren't really great adaptations but what they have though has been good though

The Sonic movies are the best type of adaptation of you ask me. Instead of giving us an inferior version of something we already experienced it instead uses the game elements, remain faithful to it and use it in a context we can only get in the film. How the movie did the snowboarding section with Ice Cap. A recognizable set piece from the games but the movie turns into a chase sequence with Sonic and Tails needing to dodge missiles and Knuckles. This aspect where the Uncharted and the new Resident Evil movie completely fail at.

1 hour ago, Hawkingbird said:

The Sonic movies are the best type of adaptation of you ask me. Instead of giving us an inferior version of something we already experienced it instead uses the game elements, remain faithful to it and use it in a context we can only get in the film. How the movie did the snowboarding section with Ice Cap. A recognizable set piece from the games but the movie turns into a chase sequence with Sonic and Tails needing to dodge missiles and Knuckles. This aspect where the Uncharted and the new Resident Evil movie completely fail at.

This is how I feel as well. I don't need a 1:1 remake. The concepts need to be there, but that's about it. A 90% recreation shouldn't be a thing.  That Ice Cap example is pretty much spot-on. 

Edited by OPTIMUS124

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2022/07/21/resident-evil-season-2-on-netflix-feels-increasingly-unlikely-to-happen/?sh=211b1c1e3691

I’ve been doing this long enough where I can get a certain vibe for whether a streaming series seems likely to be renewed or not, which is a bit different than how things used to be with networks. Sometimes it’s obvious, but with so many hidden metrics, it can often feel like a crapshoot in terms of what gets renewed and what doesn’t. Especially on Netflix.

For Resident Evil, the new video game adaptation that surfaced to #1 on the service before being unseated by Stranger Things again, I have a feeling that it may not live past this first season here, no matter what plans its showrunners have, or how many cliffhangers it ends on.

Here’s what’s working against Resident Evil:

A Potentially High Cost – While it may not be a Jupiter's Legacy-level money sink, Resident Evil is a sci-fi show about a post-apocalyptic future, full of practical effects for its zombies and lots of digital effects for its larger monsters. As such, it’s probably a good bit more expensive than your average series on the service, which would require higher viewership to justify a continued investment.

Critics Don’t Like It – We live in a golden era of TV where right now, I can list probably two dozen shows across six streaming services airing right now that have gotten above a 90% on Rotten Tomatoes, while Resident Evil has 51%, very low by TV review standards these days. And you can’t really say “well critics are snobs and don’t like video game stuff” because Netflix also has Arcane (100%), Castlevania (94%) and The Witcher (81%) in its roster, which have not faced similar criticism. And then there’s the next point:

Audiences Hate It Even More – This is not some issue where critics hate something fun and audiences are much more tolerant. Resident Evil has some of the lowest audience scores I’ve ever seen for any series on Netflix, a 26% on Rotten Tomatoes and a 3.7 on IMDB. Resident Evil fans really dislike the “original” take on the universe, and have rated it lower than the endless string of blockbuster movies. Non-fans are either ignoring it, or don’t like it either.

The point is, even though Resident Evil rose to the top of the charts briefly after its debut, it may need a lot of viewership to justify its cost. Past that, I don’t think Netflix enjoys this current narrative that many of its original productions are low quality, and what message does it send when something is this poorly reviewed (and not even a trashy reality show at that) but continues to be invested in?

The one thing working in Resident Evil’s favor is that Netflix also doesn’t like being the service accused of killing shows too soon or not letting them wrap up their storylines. Considering pretty much nothing is resolved in Resident Evil season 1 and it ends on a lot of cliffhangers, that would be another example of a show not finishing its narrative. But given that the showrunner has said he wants to adapt essentially all major parts of the series over a number of years, I’m not sure it would ever be finished. I do wonder if the cliffhanger ending was a tactic to try and make sure they got renewed. I just don’t think it will work.

The one thing working in Resident Evil’s favor is that Netflix also doesn’t like being the service accused of killing shows too soon

I chuckled when I read this because if there is one thing that Netflix is known for is for cancelling shows too soon.
BUT, they are also known for keeping bad shows around regardless the reception, if they are cheap to produce.

The article brought up Jupiter's Legacy, I would be hype if they brought that series back, since while it wasn't at the level of The Boys or Invincible, it wasn't bad.

Of all the new live action shows that they have done recently and cancelled, that one is the one that deserves a second chance, imo-

Edited by Hecatom

Why would a remake automatically incorporate the mechanics of and animations of 2? It's a remake....of the first one.....that means you're getting the first one....again. 

They aren't just gonna jam tlou2 shit into the first 1. That's how you get The Twin Snakes. 

Edited by RSG3
1 minute ago, TheInfernoman said:

I loved Twin Snakes

There's stuff to love about Twin Snakes but them just throwing FPS aiming into the game and the tranq gun damages it severely, I don't think this can really be argued. I like Twin Snakes but they haphazardly threw mechanics in without bothering to think about how they impact the game. 

31 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Why would a remake automatically incorporate the mechanics of and animations of 2? It's a remake....of the first one.....that means you're getting the first one....again. 

They aren't just gonna jam tlou2 shit into the first 1. That's how you get The Twin Snakes. 

While I do get what you’re saying in that new mechanics can seriously mess up an old game, Druckmann introduced this game saying it was from the ground up remake and that there would be improvements to combat. Making it seem like there was something new to enjoy with this game instead of TLOU again with different graphics. That’s what some people are upset about. 

7 minutes ago, BornWinner said:

While I do get what you’re saying in that new mechanics can seriously mess up an old game, Druckmann introduced this game saying it was from the ground up remake and that there would be improvements to combat. Making it seem like there was something new to enjoy with this game instead of TLOU again with different graphics. That’s what some people are upset about. 

I don't remember hearing anything about improvements to gameplay, just that they remade the game from the ground up, which could mean a whole slew of things. Its why the conflation of remaster and remake in the last 10 years is extremely frustrating because everyone's confused now. Like a ground up remake could easily mean they redid code for optimization, so faster loading, higher resolutions, sub surface scattering on skin and shit. Like "improvements" is so vague and could mean anything, even "Improvements to combat" is incredibly vague and does not promise TLOU2 features for this.

If he said improved combat it would be interesting to see if he said more or not, because thaty line still doesn't tell you much of anything.

Their upset their expectations weren't met, I'm over here upset Naughty Dog remade a game from the ground up supposedly, and its for a game thats not even 10 years old yet. If i wanna play through the Uncharted series i have to slog through Uncharted 1, a game that could really use a remake from their damn catalogue. Bu no waste time on a slightly prettier and higher fidelity version of something that already plays fine and looks fucking amazing.

The truth is this got remade to promote the TV show. That's it. This is to keep the IP socially relevant in the consumer eyes because they have a fucking TV show coming out. The product is what it is, an ad for their show. There is no reason to buy this imo, just like there's gonna be 0 reason to buy Persona 5R on PS5. If you played the original releases of these games you dont need to buy them again. Spend your money elsewhere.

DeS Remake had some different mechanics, like rolling in any direction instead of just 4, being able to send shit directly to storage, and new animations. If the developers are saying that TLOU remake is from the ground up, but it looks more like a remaster with improved fidelity and performance, then that's a hard pass from me spending $70 on it.

22 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

DeS Remake had some different mechanics, like rolling in any direction instead of just 4, being able to send shit directly to storage, and new animations. If the developers are saying that TLOU remake is from the ground up, but it looks more like a remaster with improved fidelity and performance, then that's a hard pass from me spending $70 on it.

And a lot of DeS fans took issue with those changes so you know you cant please everyone. I personally don't like most of the new Backstab animations, they are too long.

"No asshole do not do a flourish with your fucking rapier after a reposte, we are surrounded, we have more important shit to worry about then looking flashy god dammit!" lmao.

Pretty sure everyones cool with 8 way rolling tho lol.

Edited by RSG3
11 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Stuff and thangs

Looking at the reveal and a few Twitter posts promoting the game and you’re right. In the original reveal, he would go on about how the artstyle and graphics were built from the ground up while barely talking about changes to the game. To be specific he said 

…There’s brand new AI, all the combat is redone.

Which is vague enough to say that they didn’t make many, if any, changes to the gameplay. Though it does suck for TLOU fans that thought it meant the opposite. 

You and I can both agree that there are other ND games that could’ve been remade, especially since the last TLOU remaster still looks good and is easily available on the PS5.

23 minutes ago, BornWinner said:

Looking at the reveal and a few Twitter posts promoting the game and you’re right. In the original reveal, he would go on about how the artstyle and graphics were built from the ground up while barely talking about changes to the game.

Yea this is what i suspected it was the moment they announced it.

Which is vague enough to say that they didn’t make many, if any, changes to the gameplay. Though it does suck for TLOU fans that thought it meant the opposite. 

Yea exactly, What did you change about the combat? What about the AI is different? What did you change? I would have went into this with very low expectations for new gameplay of any kind. Minor tweeks is what i would expect at best as far as gameplay is concerned. This was a graphics and performance update (and a big ole ad for the TV Show) and nothing more imo.

ou and I can both agree that there are other ND games that could’ve been remade, especially since the last TLOU remaster still looks good and is easily available on the PS5.

Dude so many other projects in their portfolio worth revisiting then the game you made before the last game you made. This is way more frustrating to me then their remake they did do, while not changing much.

Edited by RSG3