Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

Dadnarok is excellent! I'm playing in performance mode with high frame rate turned on and it's one of the best gaming experiences I've had on PS5. Even with the hit to resolution, this game looks incredible- better than Forbidden West. I know it was developed for PS4 as well, but this feels like the most next gen game I've played on the system. 

The battle is challenging and fun as hell to. It feels like there's extra polish on it having come from playing a few hours of GoW 2018 this last week.  I'm about 4 hours in and loving it.

5 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

Episode 5 Reaction GIF by The Office

https://legendsoflocalization.com/did-you-know-people-used-to-marry-pokemon-all-the-time/

"there are some old folk tales you can read about in the Canalave Library in Pokemon Diamond/Pearl & Platinum, and one touches briefly on humans and the origin of Pokemon"

image.png

Straight out from the games.

10 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

https://legendsoflocalization.com/did-you-know-people-used-to-marry-pokemon-all-the-time/

"there are some old folk tales you can read about in the Canalave Library in Pokemon Diamond/Pearl & Platinum, and one touches briefly on humans and the origin of Pokemon"

image.png

Straight out from the games.

I couldn't decide to either WTF or Insightful this so I went with WTF.  I'm slightly shocked by this but then I look at some of the designs for some of the pokemon and then people like Markiplier's Smash or Pass and I suppose this tracks lol.

Edited by Sonichuman
2 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

I couldn't decide to either WTF or Insightful this so I went with WTF.  I'm slightly shocked by this but then I look at some of the designs for some of the pokemon and then people like Markiplier's Smash or Pass and I suppose this tracks lol.

Like the professor said, is all about the Harkness Test in thw world of pokemon 🤣

d18.png

10 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

People fuck farm animals IRL so this doesn't shock me too much. I'd probably smash Squirtle.

Edit: Hold up, is Squirtle a dude? I don't know that much about Pokemon.

Edited by Chadouken
6 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

People fuck farm animals IRL so this doesn't shock me too much. I'd probably smash Squirtle.

Edit: Hold up, is Squirtle a dude? I don't know that much about Pokemon.

Most of the shock comes from Gamefreak and to a lesser extent NCL acknowledging it.  NoA was like "oh nah...we're gonna put the top back on this"

Edited by Sonichuman
21 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

Here We Go Again GIF

I just hope that in this case, it doesn't go the Helena route, because that never ends well.

The only reason why I will be willing to almost believe him from the get go, is because is very well documented that Bethesda are very scummy.

But the fact that he waited so long to reveal all of this is a red flag.

I am still watching the video, so I don't know if there were legal reasons that had him tied to not revel anything.

Edited by Hecatom

Damn, I just learned that is Bad Robot and JJ Abrahams who is doing the new Sillent Hill movie.

I didn't pay attention to the announcement at the time, but reading it now, my mild interest on it went to negative 100, lol.

Edit.

Also, the people who will be developing SH F are the people behind Resident Evil Re:Verse, which from what I heard is no bueno, lol

Edited by Hecatom
2 hours ago, Hecatom said:

I just hope that in this case, it doesn't go the Helena route, because that never ends well.

The only reason why I will be willing to almost believe him from the get go, is because is very well documented that Bethesda are very scummy.

But the fact that he waited so long to reveal all of this is a red flag.

I am still watching the video, so I don't know if there were legal reasons that had him tied to not revel anything.

Mick doesn't look like he's trying to scorch the Earth

I'm trying to read through what he put now which starts here

Yeah from the very beginning he's telling people not to attack the others so this isn't the same as Hellena so far.

Edit:  I will say that I'm pretty sure Mick did take some notes from how Hellena handled her shit because of no.1 in his statement lol

1. My response is lengthy and detailed to prevent vague statements from turning into rumours and speculation.

Edited by Sonichuman

Yeeeahh...I'm reading through the stuff Mick put out about his time working on Doom Eternal and it sounds like a frustrating hair pulling ideal.  On top of the fact that they didn't pay the man for 8 months.  I'm only like 1/6 of the way through reading this.

Edit:  Jesus...Mick is saying they promised an OST at the E3 when they announced it and didn't even know that an OST was happening at that time.  This whole section is a big WTF.

During Bethesda’s E3 Showcase on June 6, 2019, Marty announced: DOOM Eternal will release on November 22nd.

• A special Collectors Edition was also announced, which included “Mick Gordon’s original DOOM Eternal soundtrack” (The OST):

The problem: Pre-orders went on sale immediately, a severe issue because customers were putting money down for a Collector’s Edition item that had no way of materialising.

• The standalone OST wasn’t in production, and I hadn’t been offered a contract to produce it. In fact, we hadn’t talked about the scope, the timeframe, or whether it was even feasible.
  • E3 events are planned months in advance, well-rehearsed, and carefully managed, but nobody thought to discuss the OST with me in any way whatsoever. I learned about it in the media.

I sent an urgent message to id Software, saying they had put me in a difficult position and we needed an agreement immediately to ensure customers would get their product.

But there was no OST strategy

Marty’s response threw me. For reasons I still don’t understand, he flatly denied me the contract and refused to do anything about the OST, saying he didn’t want to cause a “distraction”.

• Didn’t want to cause a distraction? Didn’t they just announce it at E3, the largest gaming show of the year? Couldn’t they see the issue of taking pre-orders on a product without any agreement or strategy to actually deliver it?

I pushed the issue again, but Marty refused to be drawn into an argument and shut the conversation down. He also didn’t leave me with any alternative plan: clearly, there wasn’t one. Pre-orders sold out in days.

Edit:

More fuckery

Desperation

The beginning of 2020 marked six months of pre-order sales without an OST deal. My sustained demands for a contract had become an arduous exercise in expressing myself to deaf ears. id Software had gone silent, and I hadn’t heard from them since November. The release date was fast approaching, alarmingly so, and I was infuriated by the fact that I had been made publicly accountable for this item while being blocked from actually doing the work. Fan expectations for a worthy follow-up to the DOOM (2016) OST were resting heavily on my shoulders, and I did not want the OST to be a catalyst for another botched pre-order story.

Something needed to be done.

• All previous attempts to engage id Software regarding the OST were either shut down or outright ignored. Reaching out to them again would be a total waste of time.
  • I decided to circumvent the stonewall by going above Marty Stratton, outside of id Software and directly to Bethesda to report my concerns and request an OST contract.

I was worried that approaching Bethesda directly might ruffle some feathers at id Software, but I hoped they would see the seriousness of the issue and that it needed to be acted upon immediately.

On the morning of January 8, I emailed Bethesda:

Bethesda quickly responded: they were grateful to make contact and told me they would love to talk about the OST. I was excited to see the wheels finally start to turn. I also noticed that neither Marty Stratton nor anyone from id Software had been included on the email thread.

• That continued to be the case over the following weeks — I discussed the specifics of the OST project and negotiated the deal directly with Bethesda without any involvement from Marty Stratton or id Software.

But we had an unresolved problem with another soundtrack

Back in 2015, I scored another Bethesda-published game from a different studio. Shortly before release, the team asked me to produce a stand-alone soundtrack album and wanted it ready for day one. The whole thing felt very last minute, but I agreed to do it.

Rush: I started working immediately, but they held up the contract, saying their sluggish legal department was so behind schedule that the agreement wouldn’t be ready until after I delivered.

• That was far from ideal, but their assurances led me to trust the contract would come through after delivery.

That was my mistake.

I crunched to finish it on time, but when handing over the finished album, the team abruptly told me they no longer planned to release it. There was no use for it, and, as such, they refused to pay for it. The contract never showed up.

• It was hard not to get mad. But upon reflection, I had to accept it was my fault for working without a signed deal in the first place. I learned a valuable lesson: don’t ever work without a contract.

Four years later: In October 2019, Bethesda suddenly began selling that very same album, without telling me beforehand — I learned about it through social media.

• Worse yet, they hadn’t paid for it.

I sent a demand, and Bethesda agreed to pay for the album but insisted the payment be consolidated into the DOOM Eternal OST contract.

This is some bullshit.  I would never want to do music for Bethesda with all this.  "Oh we we didn't pay you for this project?  Ok well we'll pay you after you finish this other project for us"  GTFOH

Edit 2:

Mick is doing a hell of a job documenting and bring forth his greivances...He's putting out receipts unlike Hellena.

Edit 3:  Marty sounds like one of the biggest douchebags on the planet lol.

Edited by Sonichuman
56 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

Yeeeahh...I'm reading through the stuff Mick put out about his time working on Doom Eternal and it sounds like a frustrating hair pulling ideal.  On top of the fact that they didn't pay the man for 8 months.  I'm only like 1/6 of the way through reading this.

Edit:  Jesus...Mick is saying they promised an OST at the E3 when they announced it and didn't even know that an OST was happening at that time.  This whole section is a big WTF.

Edit:

More fuckery

This is some bullshit.  I would never want to do music for Bethesda with all this.  "Oh we we didn't pay you for this project?  Ok well we'll pay you after you finish this other project for us"  GTFOH

Corporations always take their sweet ass time paying creatives. They're usually the last in line to get paid when a project wraps and it'll usually be several months after the end of it. I don't think I've ever gotten paid in any less than 6 months for any corporate stuff I've done.

Every time I think the music industry is bad, the game industry says "hold my beer." The difference is, while scummy shit has always happened in music, the music business has never had the veneer of being somewhat respectable like the game industry does.

Edited by DoctaMario

I finally unlocked Alraune in Bayo3, which was my go to weapon in Bayo2 and I think it might actually be even better here than it was in 2. It seems to have some nice synergy with the Yoyos too. The Alraune demon is a pretty good one too.

I'm starting to get the hang of the combo system with the second and it's really starting to come together.

Edited by DoctaMario

Man...reading through this is like a good lesson....ALWAYS have receipts.  I didn't even know that there was a settlement between Bethesda and ID for the music that Mick didn't get paid for.  They were originally going to deny it to him but he showed them the receipts and they quickly moved to settle....and then tried to make a deal with him that they'd pay him what was owed if he actually redid the Doom Eternal OST.  The absolute balls of the company holding this man's money.

Lawyers become involved

There wasn’t just one serious issue, but two: Marty published a series of false accusations against me, and id Software shipped DOOM Eternal with double the amount of music than what they paid for.

Lawyers: I immediately had my legal representative contact id Software with complaints about both matters. Marty forwarded my complaints to Zenimax, and within days I got a response from the executive legal authority from the upper echelons of the company.

• Zenimax assumed that Marty had acted appropriately and denied needing to pay me for the additional music.

To combat their stance, I:

• demonstrated Marty’s allegations directly contradicted contractual terms, public announcements and contents of emails and phone calls;
  • concluded he exploited his position of authority to deliberately spread misinformation, used Reddit as a vehicle, and substantially damaged my reputation;
  • showed that DOOM Eternal included almost five hours of music, over double what they agreed to pay me per the contract.

Once I presented those details, they quickly offered to settle.

Settlement offer negotiations

id Software and Zenimax engaged a large multi-national law firm as representation, and we began settlement negotiations. I demanded Marty withdraw his false accusations and issue an apology. But they rejected this on Marty’s concern that if he admitted fault publicly, that would negatively affect his reputation.

Instead, they proposed a deal: they would pay me the money owed, but on the condition I produce a new, polished version of the DOOM Eternal OST, appearing to suggest that if I gave them something to sell, that would somehow make up for the damage Marty had caused to my reputation.

Edit:

That prompted a spectacular meltdown

Their mood suddenly changed, and a threatening tone edged their letter of response. They withdrew the settlement offer and vowed the Reddit post was just the beginning. Marty was willing to issue legal proceedings to use the court process to damage my reputation further. They threatened legal action:

• over times I had discussed DOOM Eternal publicly, forcing me to remove my YouTube streams;
  • and for using DOOM Eternal on my portfolio. Meaning I cannot share any of the music I produced for the game, and I had to remove any mention of DOOM Eternal from my website.

The letter then devolved into a bizarre rant that attempted to frame Marty’s behaviour not as wrongdoing but instead as something I deserved. But contrarily, that same letter presented me with a new settlement for damages caused anyway.

Edit:

I really fucking wish that the human race was better than this...

Threats, abuse and harassment

Just when I thought things couldn’t get any worse, incidences of online abuse escalated at an alarming rate as Marty’s Reddit post led to frustration over my alleged professional failure, and toxic gamers grew openly aggressive.

• They shared my personal details via message boards, including Reddit, which meant that abusers could now reach me in more ways than ever.
  • They email-bombed my inboxes, crashing the server and clogging my messaging services, crippling my ability to communicate.
  • They harassed my other clients with attempts to get me fired from their projects.
  • They called my phone numbers around the clock, screaming messages full of abuse.

I began receiving specific expressions of violence, the content so vivid it made me sick. The torrent of abuse telling me how to kill myself, how I’d be mutilated, how they would circulate photos of my body to traumatise my family, how my family would be murdered, how they’d hurt my animals, how they’d shoot up any event I attended, how I’d be raped to death, really started to wear me down in ways I couldn’t previously imagine.

Edited by Sonichuman

Was gonna try and start a new play through of Dark Souls 1 and record. Forgot how jankey that games fucking roll is, got under my skin so bad I quit. Almost had the Gargoyles when a side roll just enexplicably turned into a front roll right into their fire breath killed me right up against my hour deadline. Got me fuckin salty. 

I'll try again in a bit, but man that irked the fuck outta me.

Diablo----so I went on and made a hardcore-mode season character earlier today... already got it to level 70, paragon 11 so far.  It always adds that extra thrill when you know that a character's death is permanent here.  I've had a few close calls already with this character.  One reason for this character is simply that one of the seasonal conquests is to finish GR45 with no set items with a Hardcore character.  With a good "Legacy" gem build that shouldn't even be a problem, once I get that gem unlocked and level it up.

...ha, it again reminds me of 2 fellow D3 fans I know that were too chicken to play Hardcore mode... they never did and never will. 😆

*oh yeah---sale note--- Scarlet Nexus on Steam/pc is on sale currently for about 23 bucks.

Edited by MillionX
1 hour ago, Sonichuman said:

Man...reading through this is like a good lesson....ALWAYS have receipts.  I didn't even know that there was a settlement between Bethesda and ID for the music that Mick didn't get paid for.  They were originally going to deny it to him but he showed them the receipts and they quickly moved to settle....and then tried to make a deal with him that they'd pay him what was owed if he actually redid the Doom Eternal OST.  The absolute balls of the company holding this man's money.

Edit:

I really fucking wish that the human race was better than this...

I've just gotten caught up on this myself. 

Zenimax & Stratton can all fuck off and EAD. All of this lines up well and he seems to have his reciepts.Kinda salty I have both of those games sitting in my collection now. I wont get rid of them but playing them will always have a salty after taste after this. 

Fuck these guys. BFG Division might never hit the same way again. 

Edited by RSG3
3 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

I've just gotten caught up on this myself. 

Zenimax, Stratton and Mcdonald can all fuck off and EAD. Kinda salty I have both of those games sitting in my collection now. I wont get rid of them but playing them will always have a salty after taste after this. 

Fuck these guys. BFG Division might never hit the same way again. 

I'm trying to just hold Marty as the most responsible because through reading through this whole ordeal I'm just...blown away at how much of douche this guy is.  And then the whole "I don't want to retract my post because it's going to look bad on me and I don't want to take the L for the shit situation that I've created" is so god damn souring.    I don't know to the extent that how much everyone else in the company especially above Marty knew how much this guy was being a shit heel but I'd imagine like most big corporations, as long as everything works out and money is made they don't really care how it was done until backlash occurs.  I'm not saying don't be mad at them because obviously once lawyers got involved they had to have been in tuned to some of the situation especially to have the cahones to ask for Mick to remake the OST and then they'll pay him for the music that he never got paid for that was used.   I just would like Mick to get what's owed to him at this point and get his name cleared...if remake of the OST happens at some point great but I wouldn't even expect and or want Mick to even have to touch anything under ID especially if Marty is still in charge. 

6 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

Previous animator at ID software vouching for Marty's character

It's been shown multiple times that how you're treated as an employee in this industry vs being a contract worker are on vastly different levels unfortunately so I get he's trying to vouch for this dude but he was an employee and Mick has the receipts.

I get what he's trying to do but all he's really done is say "Marty Stratton is my friend and he's nice to me." Thats cool I guess, doesn't mean he isn't an asshole to other people. 

9 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

I'm trying to just hold Marty as the most responsible because through reading through this whole ordeal I'm just...blown away at how much of douche this guy is.  And then the whole "I don't want to retract my post because it's going to look bad on me and I don't want to take the L for the shit situation that I've created" is so god damn souring.    I don't know to the extent that how much everyone else in the company especially above Marty knew how much this guy was being a shit heel but I'd imagine like most big corporations, as long as everything works out and money is made they don't really care how it was done until backlash occurs.  I'm not saying don't be mad at them because obviously once lawyers got involved they had to have been in tuned to some of the situation especially to have the cahones to ask for Mick to remake the OST and then they'll pay him for the music that he never got paid for that was used.   I just would like Mick to get what's owed to him at this point and get his name cleared...if remake of the OST happens at some point great but I wouldn't even expect and or want Mick to even have to touch anything under ID especially if Marty is still in charge. 

Same.

In case this is 100% true, I would hold it entirely on the management.

Considering what Bethesda/Zenimax did to Human Prey Studios, I wouldn't be surprised they knew.

VGM Friday, Saturday edition, lol

This is easily my favorite song from CTRNF.

I even listen it when I am jogging or riding my bicycle.

It also helps that the stage is one of the best on the game and shows why CTR >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Mario Kart

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by Hecatom