Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

3 hours ago, Hecatom said:

Unless is a situation where the team behind BotW dosn't want to share tech, which from what I know, at least in the past, it was something very common inside Nintendo. (And other game companies.)

That would be weird since a big reason BOTW works so well.is Monolift Soft helped them out big time with the tech to make it work. 

Would be pretty petty to secret away tech someone else gave you because reasons? 

15 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

That would be weird since a big reason BOTW works so well.is Monolift Soft helped them out big time with the tech to make it work. 

Would be pretty petty to secret away tech someone else gave you because reasons? 

IIRC Monolith has same team that just goes around and helps other Nintendo developers with their games. They have their hands in so many titles, it's truly impressive really. They aren't the biggest studio and they've managed to churn out two massive JRPGs, a remake of a massive JRPG, and an expansion that's large enough to be it's on game while helping EAD out on the regular.

Just now, RSG3 said:

Well, my reasoning comes mostly due the historical facts we know, on how Some internal Nintendo divisions operated in the past with R&D1 and R&D2 very the most known examples, seeing how the NES team blocked the GameBoy team on getting in touch with their chip providers, hence why the Gameboy ended going with a Sharp LR35902 cpu instead of using the same family of cpus that the NES and SNES used.

Which is very fucked up when you consider that Uemura, the chief of R&2 was the one doing this, and some years prior his ass was saved by Gunpei Yokoi when the NES project was having troubles.

Dunno if I am remembering this correctly, but I think Yamaguchi in some way promoted this rival mentality since it brought a sense of competition and a desire to work harder on the projects. (I could be confusing this mentality with Apple)

One thing for sure, is that this rivalry between divisions was like that for a long time until Iwata came in and unified the console and portable divisions and also promoting an Unified Nintendo mentality set, where everyone worked together in synergy so the company could thrive.

Also, because sadly is a very common thing in companies, specially on the tech industry.

Since no one wants their division/studio being absorbed into the most successful branch.

7 minutes ago, iStu X said:

Can’t wait for ScVi to break all-time sales records for the Pokémon series. 😂

It will totally do it.

Regardless of the quality of the game, or the valid criticism, people are still willing to buy, play and defend pokemon, even for its failings.

Like people saying that graphics are not everything, like if the criticism is about that, lol.

13 minutes ago, iStu X said:

Can’t wait for ScVi to break all-time sales records for the Pokémon series. 😂

Yeah...the unfortunate thing is that a good majority of the base that's going to buy Pokemon will probably notice the issues but then just shrug them off because the game is so fun and I think its going to send the wrong message to TPC and Gamefreak.  The "This series is still doing dumb numbers, why should we bother trying to optimize or make sure our game's presentation is on point before we release it?"

3 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

It will totally do it.

Regardless of the quality of the game, or the valid criticism, people are still willing to buy, play and defend pokemon, even for its failings.

Like people saying that graphics are not everything, like if the criticism is about that, lol.

I don’t have my copy yet. I’m still waiting on UPS but I’m extremely excited to play it. Like I mentioned in the Switch thread almost every thing goofy, silly, wtf, broken that’s being posted about it has been in handheld mode. People are acting like this is the Sonic 06 of Pokémon and it really, really, really isnt. 

Pretty much every account I’ve read about being played docked has been the normal criticisms for Switch titles. 

Have they made some bad choices? Absolutely. Have they made a lot of quality of life choices to make the game better? Absolutely. 

For instance I genuinely don’t fucking care about not being able to enter random buildings or stores anymore. I love the idea of auto battling, I like having a Pokémon “in” your party that’s solely for transportation and so on. 

39 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Not a Nintendo decision. They own 33% of The Pokemon company. Creature and Game Freak own the controlling interest.

Yea I know. My comment is in response to someone saying Nintendo held out. I don't see it. This is a bottom line decision made by some fuck in a suit. 

I have my doubt Nintendo held out because most people are unaware of GameFreak, Creature, or the whole PokemonCo deal. They just see Nintendo, and releasing a Pokémon game like this makes Nintendo look awful. I don't see them doing this. This is a decision made by someone else imo. 

7 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

Yeah...the unfortunate thing is that a good majority of the base that's going to buy Pokemon will probably notice the issues but then just shrug them off because the game is so fun and I think its going to send the wrong message to TPC and Gamefreak.  The "This series is still doing dumb numbers, why should we bother trying to optimize or make sure our game's presentation is on point before we release it?"

Literally every community for gaming franchises do this though and so do companies. So why does Pokémon and GameFreak get held over the coals for it so harshly? 

Bethesda’s bread and butter is making unplayable garbage but their games still sell millions upon millions of copies. The CEO of their company has even joked about how their games are unplayable garbage yet they still sell like crazy. 

I mean FFS Skyrim is how old and has been released on how many SKU’s and it’s still a fucking pile of garbage 

Edited by iStu X
Just now, iStu X said:

I don’t have my copy yet. I’m still waiting on UPS but I’m extremely excited to play it. Like I mentioned in the Switch thread almost every thing goofy, silly, wtf, broken that’s being posted about it has been in handheld mode. People are acting like this is the Sonic 06 of Pokémon and it really, really, really isnt. 

Pretty much every account I’ve read about being played docked has been the normal criticisms for Switch titles. 

Have they made some bad choices? Absolutely. Have they made a lot of quality of life choices to make the game better? Absolutely. 

For instance I genuinely don’t fucking care about not being able to enter random buildings or stores anymore. I love the idea of auto battling, I like having a Pokémon “in” your party that’s solely for transportation and so on. 

Meanwhile, I am still waiting for my Switch.

I already bought the game, since I bought it with one of the 2 tickets I got for Bayonetta 3.

The Switch is one I got second hand from a friend who owed me money, and hopefully he will send it to me this weekend.

So far, the only info I know about the game is what it has been posted here, so I don't think I have a horse on this race yet.

This will be the 1st pokemon game that I play since the gameboy advance era, so I am hoping that the problems don't out weight the pros of the game when I finally get my hands on the game.

BTW

I went with Scarlet due the Dr. Waifu. Lol

70c1138dbf71851825efdc69e303d25d.jpg

98e7f729d40bd5abeb34cb4b7bc2f280.jpg

10 minutes ago, iStu X said:

Literally every community for gaming franchises do this though and so do companies. So why does Pokémon and GameFreak get held over the coals for it so harshly? 

Because people think they are Nintendo and Nintendo releases extremely solid software, so people have the same expectation when it comes to Pokémon. People expect a piece of shit from Bethesda. Like people buy Bethesda games with a NexusMods tab open in the other window. That's not Nintnedos rep, and people think Pokémon is Nintendo. 

Beth should be raked over the coals for their fucking horseshit by the way, not saying you don't think they should. 

Edited by RSG3
5 minutes ago, iStu X said:

Bethesda’s bread and butter is making unplayable garbage but their games still sell millions upon millions of copies. The CEO of their company has even joked about how their games are unplayable garbage yet they still sell like crazy. 

I mean FFS Skyrim is how old and has been released on how many SKU’s and it’s still a fucking pile of garbage 

I've mentioned Bethesda before in a comment I made before about a game having technical problems and a game being good and fun aren't mutually exclusive.  The issue is when there's a clear issue and it's just being shrugged over like it's not a problem.  That sends the wrong message to the company especially like Bethesda where they end up giving less care into the product when it's printed out from the start.  That type of mentality leads to Fallout 76 eventually.   And while Fallout 76 eventually somewhat managed to pull itself out of the hole it dug, not every game is going to have that opportunity. 

Considering me being a Sonic fan, I definitely know allllll about a game having faults so it's not just Pokemon getting raked over the coals.  I acknowledge the good and the potential that Frontiers has but I'm not shrugging off the flaws and problems that it has because I know it can be better.  In much the same way for Pokemon, I KNOW they can do better easily, whether the suits are going to be willing to take the time to do that or not is another story because at this moment they don't have any incentive to do so until they run into their Sonic 06/Fallout76 moment.

15 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Beth should be raked over the coals for their fucking horseshit by the way, not saying you don't think they should. 

The good news is that their fuckery is catching up with them.

Each of their games (not the published ones, but developed ones) is steadly selling considerably less than the previous one.

So perhaps, the playerbase is wising up, hopefully.

And as you say, I think that is a combination of people expecting better from Nintendo, but also, people who genuinely think that Gamefreak/Pokemon Company/Creatures and even Nintendo are sleeping on their laurels when it comes to the franchise, that they know that the bare minimum effort is enough, those of course, being the subset of the fanbase that think that is them being comfortable with doing that, and not Gamefreak being ill equipped for the task, that is another camp.

Also a subset of people who actually want them to actually try like during the handheld era (specially the 2d ones), since for what I have saw on many videos, like the Radical Soda ones, they want Pokemon to live to the legacy it had.

The franchise has the potential to be great, and like other games in the system have shown, the switch is still capable of delivering on said potential.

Many people feel that is sad that for a huge franchise as it is, the studio behind it doesn't get enough investment so that they can deliver said potential.

Plus, some feel that is sad that a game with many shortcomings surpasses/outshines other games developed with so much care to deliver an actual quality product, that is insulting in some way

Edited by Hecatom

sheeeitttt, that reminded me of how surprising it was to see at least 3 people I know on my friend list that got Fallout 76....well, 1 of them was no surprise because he just has notoriously bad taste , but with the others it was shocking that they spent any money on that at all.  Even if someone is a fan of Fallout, what about F76 was standing out as appealing?  In the beginning, that game looked like trash in every conceivable way... like I would not waste 2 cents on it.  ha, I would not even play that game for free.

...so I finally started Bayonetta 3; I just played the prologue part so far, and as usual with this franchise, it started off with some incredible action....it pleases me so much to see all these characters once again, and all the insane, over the top action that goes with them.  It's been a while since I played either of the first 2 games so of course my skills were terribly rusty to say the least.

It looks like Bethesda was secretly helping them out... I'm loving all these clips of how fucked up that Pokemon game is.

Diablo 2 is currently on sale on eShop for 20... also, Speedrunners is super-cheap as well.

Aragami 1 and 2, and Bioshock (7 or 8 bucks) are also on sale as well, along with many others since it's *that* time of year again.  Over on PSN I saw that Metal Hellsinger is on sale too....and the Miles Morales Spiderman; soooo I have quite a bit of interesting things to pick from in terms of new sales...

Surprisingly, Atari 50 has a physical version for Switch; I wasn't expecting that...so if I get it then yeah I'm getting that version.  One of the reasons I'd get it is this one game "Solaris", which was my absolute favorite game from the 2600.  I think the predecessor, Star Raiders was so cool....but Solaris was even better.  I'm also interested by the fact they also have games from the 5200 and 7800.  

Edited by MillionX
1 hour ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

Finally finished GOWR. It's a worthy followup to the 2018 game. This game does a good job humanizing Kratos and showing growth in the character. My only flaw is that that story (while impactful) is not as tight as the first game.  

I'm only 14 hours in and I just met that dready bitch in the forest. I'm loving it, but I'm taking my time. Wish I had more time to play but being a dad takes priority.