Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

7 hours ago, axeman61 said:

I loved the game, so I started this, interested in hearing different opinions. But just a few minutes in, he says Kratos "mysteriously" lost his abilities since the last game. They explain several times that Fimbulwinter and just plain old usage wore down his stuff. He also says the first berserker fight is mandatory, when it isn't. I looked down and saw the description used "woke". I rolled my eyes. I know I shouldn't judge this harshly, but I closed it off; I doubt the rest of the review is worth a shit.

EDIT: OK, morbid curiosity. I skipped to the story chapter since it was so big. In the first few minutes, he says that Freya doesn't kill Kratos despite knowing where he lives, and that Kratos turns down Odin's peace treaty, which may as well be a declaration of war. They say a protection stave keeps Freya away from their home (they have to repair it), and it's been hammered in over and over to Kratos not to trust Odin. Kratos, who's made a bad deal with a God before, probably wouldn't trust him anyway. Again, I doubt the rest of the review is worth a shit.

I noped out at "Doesn't respect your time." I've come to find this to be a reviewer buzzword and very few are able to justify it. It almost always boils down to "I have 0 patience." 

Then play DOOM. 

Edited by RSG3

It's just a personal pet peeve of mine when reviewers clearly miss or disregard pieces of what they're talking about. It bothers me way the hell more than it would most others, I bet. Most others might stick with a review if they get something small wrong, but I typically nope out. This guy is already getting medium-level things wrong.

Edited by axeman61
1 hour ago, RSG3 said:

I noped out at "Doesn't respect your time." I've come to find this to be a reviewer buzzword and very few are able to justify it. It almost always boils down to "I have 0 patience." 

Then play DOOM. 

I see "don't respect your time" differently. Some games like to pad their runtime. How Gotham Knights force players to do repetitious side missions to continue with main story missions and go through a gauntlet of them to unlock the characters main traversal move. The game wants to force a time investment a player doesn't want to put in. I know that's why I can fuck with any mobile game.

They're still adding to Warhammer Inquisitor...

This is another game where it's very existence frustrates me a bit... because it doesn't really need to be online-only...it's just one of the many games out there that they decided to make online-only just because it's their game and they said so.  There is seriously nothing I hate more in this industry today than that.  ...but otherwise, this is also one of the few Warhammer games that is actually good and fun to me.... I got it as a "free" download when it was a Live game of the month or whatever they're calling that these days.

16 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

I see "don't respect your time" differently. Some games like to pad their runtime. How Gotham Knights force players to do repetitious side missions to continue with main story missions and go through a gauntlet of them to unlock the characters main traversal move. The game wants to force a time investment a player doesn't want to put in. I know that's why I can fuck with any mobile game.

Yea this tends to be more how I see it. Pointless grinds to pad put length. I don't mind grinding long as I'm doing something meaningful, boosting a Stat or building a weapon or something. 

Edited by RSG3
1 hour ago, Lantis said:

I hate the overuse of the word "woke".  Seems like the go-to definition for anything people dislike about something regardless of ideology

As someone who hates fake and/or parasitic wokeness, this.

All these clowns using "woke" because they're too stupid to articulate something real, or too pussy to say what they REALLY mean, are clouding whatever valid anti-woke movement there is.

On 11/26/2022 at 7:09 PM, Hecatom said:

Dunno man, perhaps I am misremembering, but I recall that all their games, at least for the home consoles during their partnership with Nintendo were always well received, even their less successful games like JFG are still being remembered fondly, with flaws and all;  At least for me,  I think that It was when they became part of M$ that they started to fall apart, specially because some time after the acquisition a lot of the founders and old guard started to jump from the studio since they were always on a costant battle against M$ to get projects greenlit  or have their ideas be put on the games, basically having a lot of corporate meddling on the projects affecting the quality at the end.

But I have to admit that I wasn't really much of a nintendo player by the 5th gen onwards, and mostly going by the people around me who were still plaing on nintendo consoles at that time, and only playing their games at the house of my best friend or exchanging my ps1/ps2 with him for his n64/gc to play games.

Nintendo saw the writing on the wall. Rare was bleeding talent. Basically the entire team behind Goldeneye and Perfect Dark left to form Free Radical Design (Timesplitters). MS bought a shell of the company that made hits for Nintendo. In American Football terms. Nintendo was the Seattle Seahawks, Rare was Russell Wilson, and Microsoft was the Denver Broncos. 

So I doing Turf War in Splatoon 3 last night and rather than the game giving me a hard time, I got two nutsacks on my team, clowning around. These useless players spend the first minute or so of the match not moving from the spawn point and spamming Booyah. Meanwhile, the opposing team has taken most of the map and we can't leave our bass thanks to the aforementioned bafoons. We even got a brand new player on our team and their experience is ruined by two idiots that chose to goof off in an open match. 

I wish they'd take another shot at "The Order: 1886".  I never played that yet but everything I've seen of it looks interesting...like something I would probably be into.  It's a shame that I hear so much negative stuff about it though... like it's linear and an extremely short game.

*good thing I woke up right before the current sales ended, around 1 am today... various Friday sales were to end at 1:59 on psn.  Alienation was 4.99 so I got that just in time.  There's new sales that just went live though until 12/22, like Dead Cells for 15 bucks though I already have that on 3 other systems at this point.

edit---oh yeah, this week's challenge rift in Diablo is laughably easy.. a full-set "Typhon" Wizard build....easy win there.  I let my hardcore character (on Switch) get the rewards this time.

Edited by MillionX
4 hours ago, RegH81 said:

So I doing Turf War in Splatoon 3 last night and rather than the game giving me a hard time, I got two nutsacks on my team, clowning around. These useless players spend the first minute or so of the match not moving from the spawn point and spamming Booyah. Meanwhile, the opposing team has taken most of the map and we can't leave our bass thanks to the aforementioned bafoons. We even got a brand new player on our team and their experience is ruined by two idiots that chose to goof off in an open match. 

Hold up are you talking about Overwatch here?? No?? LOL wellllllllll  because it's basically the same thing there too. Maybe its just a Shooter game thing......

7 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

@HecatomHey do you know how The Avengers situation is being handled. Didn't Square Enix sell Crystal Dynamics to The Embracer Group? Who's maintaining/updating the game now?

Is not entirely clear.

It seems that since the game is published by SE, they are still in charge, at least for anything related to any work that is contractually obligated prior the acquisition.

But for what I heard, the future of the "series" and any work be the current game or any future game (also for GotG) is now up to Disney, since Embracer Group doesn't have any deal with them in place, and the licensing doesn't transfer with the buyout.

Some of the berserker battles on GoWR are making me to consider removing some points from the game, lol.

They are putting front and center the issues the combat has, specially with some encounters that are not designed for this game, like

Spoiler

The Alfheim berserker battle with the berserker and the siblings

And it seems that I am not alone on that this battle is utter bullshit in the bad way, such a bad designed encounter.

Is hard in the not fun variety.

I strongly believe that no one play tested that shit.

The only thing in recent years that I see as bad as this fight is Solaris Ascendant on GodFall.

Not even Alma on Ninja Gaiden on the hardest difficulty feels as bullshit as this, lol.

Edited by Hecatom

Edit

Also people are comparing other dubs to the english...specifically Mario aaaaaaand yyyyyeeahhh...

I do think ultimately Pratt is just going to be OK.  The only problem is that he's going to be just OK/decent in a movie full of people all around him who are just doing better with their characters.  I honestly don't think it's going to ruin the movie but listening to the other dubs?  Yeah...it's pretty obvious.

Edit 2:

Oh boy...here we go

Edited by Sonichuman
On 11/29/2022 at 12:34 AM, MillionX said:

I wish they'd take another shot at "The Order: 1886".  I never played that yet but everything I've seen of it looks interesting...like something I would probably be into.  It's a shame that I hear so much negative stuff about it though... like it's linear and an extremely short game.

*good thing I woke up right before the current sales ended, around 1 am today... various Friday sales were to end at 1:59 on psn.  Alienation was 4.99 so I got that just in time.  There's new sales that just went live though until 12/22, like Dead Cells for 15 bucks though I already have that on 3 other systems at this point.

edit---oh yeah, this week's challenge rift in Diablo is laughably easy.. a full-set "Typhon" Wizard build....easy win there.  I let my hardcore character (on Switch) get the rewards this time.

The Order 1886  playing like Evil West plays would’ve been the business.

Edited by hanzohattori12
13 hours ago, Hecatom said:

Some of the berserker battles on GoWR are making me to consider removing some points from the game, lol.

They are putting front and center the issues the combat has, specially with some encounters that are not designed for this game, like

Hide contents

The Alfheim berserker battle with the berserker and the siblings

And it seems that I am not alone on that this battle is utter bullshit in the bad way, such a bad designed encounter.

Is hard in the not fun variety.

I strongly believe that no one play tested that shit.

Completely agree. The fight is infuriating and by far the most bullshit boss fight I’ve played in any game. I was going to try and 100% the game but this fight is making me question that choice.