Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

Just bought my gf GoW Ragnarok. 80-fucking-quid... thank fuck I only have to buy this one PS5 game because at those prices they can fucking keep em.

For comparison £80 is about $95

Sadly I think Sony has lost me this gen, at least for now.

Big edit: Oh my b it was actually £70 but they had an incorrect sticker on the box, still though this a £20 mark up compared to other games and honestly it ain't for me

Edited by Abbachio
37 minutes ago, Abbachio said:

Just bought my gf GoW Ragnarok. 80-fucking-quid... thank fuck I only have to buy this one PS5 game because at those prices they can fucking keep em.

For comparison £80 is about $95

Sadly I think Sony has lost me this gen, at least for now.

Eh. I would have just waited tbh. Sony tries to talk big about their first parties but their prices for them drop fast. As do most titles from companies not named Nintendo. 

gaming can be super cheap. Just gotta know how to shop and have the patience for those price drops. 

that said, I’m a day one adopter for a lot of games and I don’t fault people when they do. Why would I?

I’m also maybe slightly biased as I have zero interest in Dad of War 2 Boy Boogaloo. I’ll play it at some point but likely when it’s bargain binned. 

Edited by iStu X

These days I only buy full price if I think the title needs the support because early adoption is good support for a title. That's why I bought Bayoneta 3 for full price. It's a niche title that struggles to exist so it needs that early support to show the interest in the IP is real. 

I'd personally wait on Dad of War 2 because it's going to do just fine without me. I'll get if (I I ever do, still haven't played Dad of War 1 yet) when the price goes down some. 

I also understand this was a gift for your sister so the situations a little different then just personal buying standards. 

Edited by RSG3
15 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

Soul Hackers 2 is the last game I brought day one.

It isn't worth to me to buy things day one anymore. Be it the games are unfinished, massive price drops shortly after release or some other nonsense it feels like I will be punished for investing early

70m3sf.jpg

In recent years, the only games I have bought on launch were:  Tekken 7, Yakuza 0, Kiwami 1, and Kiwami 2.

Games come down in price super fast compared to movies, and with all the DLC packs, its better to wait for the GOTY version to get more bang for your buck.

3 hours ago, RSG3 said:

These days I only buy full price if I think the title needs the support because early adoption is good support for a title. That's why I bought Bayoneta 3 for full price. It's a niche title that struggles to exist so it needs that early support to show the interest in the IP is real. 

I'd personally wait on Dad of War 2 because it's going to do just fine without me. I'll get if (I I ever do, still haven't played Dad of War 1 yet) when the price goes down some. 

I also understand this was a gift for your sister so the situations a little different then just personal buying standards. 

I'm probably going to be doing something similar whenever I get my PS5.   If they want me to drop 70 on a game then its going to be something I either need to support or something that I gotta play day 1.  Nintendo first party will be something I'd probably end up continuing to pay day 1 or within a few weeks because regardless of you buying it day 1 or 6 months from now, the chance of the price changing is slim.

2 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

I'm probably going to be doing something similar whenever I get my PS5.   If they want me to drop 70 on a game then its going to be something I either need to support or something that I gotta play day 1.  Nintendo first party will be something I'd probably end up continuing to pay day 1 or within a few weeks because regardless of you buying it day 1 or 6 months from now, the chance of the price changing is slim.

I actually buy my switch games with the tickets that I buy on the japanese nintendo store, by changing the country of my account to japan.

Since the Yen price dropped, 2 tickets go for $60, so you end buying full new games for 30 bucks.

Edited by Hecatom
1 hour ago, RSG3 said:

He said 6 months lol, bro try 5 years, still full price hahaha. 

I said 6 months because I'm comparing 3rd parties and the 1st party titles of the other big 2.  I'm essentially saying that within 6 months most titles would have seen a price drop in some capacity within that time frame.  5 years would be completely overdoing it but not invalid lol.

I finally got the previous God of War... since I noticed it's still a "free" download if you happen to have psn+.  This has the graphics crown for me at the moment... the game is years old and is easily the best-looking game I've had the pleasure of playing on my glorious 4k screen....reminds me of that first day I played Gears of War 4 on this tv, specifically to see how it would look on the big 4k screen....with God of War though, it's on another level.  We're already at that point now where things that would've looked "pre-rendered".....now the game can look like that ALL the time in "real-time" as you're playing.  This level of visuals...it's absolutely insane.

I stopped after what appears to be the prologue section, where it finishes up with that epic fight against that "The Stranger"....unfortunately I had already been spoiled and saw a piece of that fight years ago, so I knew what was up already when Kratos heard someone outside the front door.

-meanwhile in Diablo 3--- my hardcore character is up to paragon level 73 at the moment; several more close calls as I push further into the Greater Rifts, but still alive.

7 hours ago, RSG3 said:

*cries in Star Ocean*

Secret conversation references PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale in God of War Ragnarok

God of War Ragnarok was released just last week. The game is a lengthy single player experience that sees Kratos' journey through as he battles enemies such as Thor, the God of Thunder from Norse Mythology.

Kratos carries quite the history with him into this latest adventure. Under certain circumstances, a unique conversation between him and Mimir, the "Smartest Man Alive," can occur that directly references the inclusion of Kratos as a playable character in PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, a platform brawler that originally released November 20, 2012.

"Brother, I've heard my share of stories about your homeland," begins Mimir once the conversation is triggered. "But I'd also heard that you once fought in a tournament."

Spoiler

Kratos acknowledges this simply by stating that he's "fought in many contests." As usual, Kratos has very few words to offer.

"But this particular one... I heard you did battle with beasts, scoundrels, princesses, the undead, automatons, and... history's greatest musician," continued Mimir. "That's not... that's not true, is it?"

Unfortunately, Kratos was unwilling to speak about this any further, but his response seemingly confirms the legitimacy of the rumor.

The beasts that Mimir is referring to could be references to characters like Jak & Daxter, Sly Cooper, and Toro Inoue. Mimir's comment about "scoundrels" could be seen as a reference to characters like Nathan Drake, Sly Cooper, Sweet Tooth, Evil Cole, or Heihachi.

As for the mention of "princesses," this comment seems directly tied to Fat Princess. Sir Daniel Fortesque is the aforementioned undead while Raiden and Big Daddy are the automatons.

"History's greatest musician" is a very specific title that's seemingly being reserved for PaRappa the Rapper. Indeed, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale was effectively Sony's version of Nintendo's Super Smash Bros. series.

While Mimir's comments could also be perceived as a reference to Kratos' guest appearance in the PlayStation 3 version of Mortal Kombat 9 (released 2011), Press-Start has confirmed with God of War Ragnarok's Narrative Director, Matt Sophos, that this is in fact a reference to PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale.

It's been over 10 years since PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale was released for the PlayStation 3, but there are still no signs of a sequel for the game. After development for PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale had ceased, the then president of Sony Worldwide Studios noted that, although the game had sold over a million units worldwide, PSASBR didn't have the momentum to continue adding characters or do a sequel.

The last characters added to the game were Isaac from Dead Space and Zeus from God of War. Fans later learned that Dart from The Legend of Dragoon and Abe from Oddworld were also planned as DLC, but development was inevitably scrapped.

It is certainly interesting how PSASBR has now been confirmed as "canon" within the God of War universe with this conversation, especially with the resurgence of the platform brawler genre with games like Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl and MultiVersus. Fans probably shouldn't take this as some sort of hint that a sequel for PSASBR is currently in the works, but perhaps it could happen someday. We'll just have to keep our fingers crossed for that day.

On 11/12/2022 at 7:02 AM, RSG3 said:

I get what he's trying to do but all he's really done is say "Marty Stratton is my friend and he's nice to me." Thats cool I guess, doesn't mean he isn't an asshole to other people. 

As Sonic Human said he was an employee. Mick was a contractor and it's documented how much worse contractors get treated in comparison to employees in gaming. 

^ I started watching that earlier but he was about to go into spoiler territory so I had to nope out.  I'll have to revisit it when I finish the game.

It's really strange to me how things blew up the way they did between ID and ultimately Bethesda and Mick cause Mick had been doing the music for the Wolfenstein series too at this point and you'd think at this point that they had a pretty good working relationship.  And then suddenly Doom Eternal's marketing and planning plus Marty being an alleged (I'm saying alleged since despite me believing Mick especially since he has the receipts, nothing has been 100% confirmed and considering how things have gone...I highly doubt they ever will.  Prob will only happen if Mick fully goes in on trying to get the money he's owed.)  complete horse's ass just spun everything out of control.  This really feels like there were several points in the timeline where headaches and frustration could have been avoided but for whatever reason they just weren't despite Mick seeing the problems in the future and trying to avoid it.

XBC3 getting a nom?  that's cool.  Kinda wish Bayo 3 could have gotten at least a nom too.  Expecting XBC3 probably to take RPG of the year unless Elden Ring is in that cat then...it has no chance.  Bayo will probably get nomed in the action cat and then get washed out by Dad of War.

22 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

XBC3 getting a nom?  that's cool.  Kinda wish Bayo 3 could have gotten at least a nom too.  Expecting XBC3 probably to take RPG of the year unless Elden Ring is in that cat then...it has no chance.  Bayo will probably get nomed in the action cat and then get washed out by Dad of War.

Bayo 3 is nominated for Best Action Game.

DNF The Duel and KOF XV is nominated for Best FG

We all know that normies will probably vote for Multiversus

I'm playing God of War:Ragnarok now, and it's a solid 10/10 GOTY for me. That is, unless it fumbles the ending. I have to be 3/4ths through by now.

It actually makes me want to play Elden Ring, because ER is the most famous competitor for that title and I don't see how any other game could beat this. I am sad for Horizon though. Not only does Elden Ring take away any steam it had upon release, GOW:R is straight kicking it out of the window as far as maybe getting a GOTY from anywhere. HFW was a great game. I understand people thinking it was too much like the first, but they still did great. Just not great enough.

Full list of noms

https://www.thegameawards.com/nominees/best-esports-event

quick glance through and most of the noms weren't bad...but there ALWAYS...has to be at least one nomination that is ??????  and that goes to Sifu in the fighting game category lol.

Edit:  Horizon getting nomed atleast is great but in just about every category its going up against Dad of War or Elden Ring.  Both of those games are about to sweep everything and best adaptation is a god damn bloodbath.  I subjectively want to vote Sonic 2 but Arcane...Arcane is pulling me objectively.

Edit 2:  also kind wish they didn't put CoD MW2 in the action cat but I guess there really wasn't a shooter cat this year so they felt they had to put it somewhere.

Edited by Sonichuman
1 hour ago, axeman61 said:

I'm playing God of War:Ragnarok now, and it's a solid 10/10 GOTY for me. That is, unless it fumbles the ending. I have to be 3/4ths through by now.

It actually makes me want to play Elden Ring, because ER is the most famous competitor for that title and I don't see how any other game could beat this. I am sad for Horizon though. Not only does Elden Ring take away any steam it had upon release, GOW:R is straight kicking it out of the window as far as maybe getting a GOTY from anywhere. HFW was a great game. I understand people thinking it was too much like the first, but they still did great. Just not great enough.

Yeah you gotta play Elden Ring. It still has the edge over GoW for me, but I'm still pretty early into GoW and that could easily change because GoW is fucking incredible. 

The adaption category is full of good shit. You can make a good case with every entry.

Arcane has a beautiful artstyle and gives more  dimensions to the previous one note characters.

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 adds in more elements from the games than the first movie did and does it in a way that satisfies both fans of the game and average moviegoers.

Edgerunners makes great use of the Cyberpunk setting and revitalized interest in the game.

Uncharted

The Cuphead Show makes full use of his cartoon origins and is absolutely insane with it’s episodes.

This is a tough choice, but I can see Arcane taking it. It deserves it from what I’ve seen and heard.

2 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

This is a tough one. This one I can see Arcane winning.

Honestly that was the toughest category for me. Before Edgerunners dropped it was Arcane by far. I ended up going with Edgerunners for my vote. I wouldn't be upset if Arcane won. The only entry that would piss me off by winning is Uncharted.

Edit: Bayonetta 3 hands down should win the  "Game That Shows How Utterly Full of Shit Polygon Is" Award

Edited by Darc_Requiem