Stage Select

Street Fighter 6 Lounge: The FGC has a crack problem.

19 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I think you are missing my point. A creator can do whatever they want with their characters. People don't have to like it. You have the right to express your disagreement with their assessment but at the end of the day it's their character. Whatever their motivation, they can get to do what they want with their character. 

As an amateur writer, I've created my own characters. This color's my perspective on the issue. If I want to change a core aspect of one of them, It does not matter what anyone else thinks. It's my character. Now if you have situation where the character's IP is licensed or bought by someone else that isn't the original creator. That's a whole other discussion. 

I hate what NRS did to Sindel. I think the change they made to her character is terrible. I think it turns her into a generic gold digger, but at the end of the day it isn't my character.

I am not missing the point, since I am well aware that a creator can do whatever he or she wants.

I am just pointing out how stupid is that ASW/Ishiwatari decided to make Bridget a girl now.

And how absurd is that people think that is a good change.

Since

A) It contradicts his story up to Strive.

Is not like they put him doubting his identity before, hell, even on Strive he keeps seeing himself as a man, only doubting it when others keep confusing him as a girl.

B) Is a message that goes against of what the people celebrating said change believe in.
Since Bridget arc now is that you are only what others sees you as.

C) It also has the side effect of adding a terrible message that "Grooming is actually pretty cool"  Arc System Works, probably.

Edited by Hecatom
1 hour ago, Hecatom said:

The argument comes that is a betrayal of the story of the character from all games prior to Strive.

Think about it.

The kid was groomed as a child into a gender identity, forced on him because the village where he was born had a superstition that identical twins of the same sex was a bad omen, he then goes into a journey to prove that He isn't what it was forced into him due the superstition of his village, every story so far has him trying to prove that he is a man despite the rest of the world seeing him as a girl. He has always saw him as a Man.

Comes Strive and now he just gives up and decides he is a girl because EVERYONE keeps seeing him as a girl, despite his efforts to prove he isn't.

Tell me how is that a good story or a good representation of what being trans is?

Testament, I can see it working, since he has always been androginous, but with Bridget it contradicts everything they laid down for his character.

Reverse the situation.

Bridget is a boy that sees himself as a girl.

Goes on a journey to prove that she is not what the world sees her.

Comes Strive and decides that she is a boy because the rest of the world keeps seeing her as a boy.

Profit.

But as usual, voicing out why it doesnt makes sense, gets you labeled as transphobic, lmao.

Because logic and character consistency be damn.

Prior to Strive, Bridget's story was about how there were more ways about being a man, that it wasn't necessarily about being a macho man, that he was more than what people saw him as.

Now is about him being a girl because everyone keeps seeing hims as one.

Basically giving up on his own identity in favor of what the world sees him as and what was imposed on him.

If anything is counterproductive to what trans are fighting for, since the story can be summarized as it doesn't matter how you see as, you will always be what the world decides you are/sees you as.

Another reason to add to the pile of why Strive is garbage.

Counter point: Bridget’s origins were always dog shit because Daisuke built a story to support a gimmick. It makes absolutely no sense for Bridget to stay being a girl once they left the village. That was just Daisuke appealing to the coomers. I agree that her being trans now is ham fisted but also her being a trap was dubious as well. Who knows maybe she’ll say she’s a dude again in Strive 2 and Daisuke can reap the biggest KEKS because he plays both sides. 

4 minutes ago, TWINBLADES said:

Counter point: Bridget’s origins were always dog shit because Daisuke built a story to support a gimmick. It makes absolutely no sense for Bridget to stay being a girl once they left the village. That was just Daisuke appealing to the coomers. I agree that her being trans now is ham fisted but also her being a trap was dubious as well. Who knows maybe she’ll say she’s a dude again in Strive 2 and Daisuke can reap the biggest KEKS because he plays both sides. 

Nah, ASW will keep those changes because is obvious they are trying to "broad the appeal" of the franchise by courting a crowd that doesn't play the games, but love talking about them on social media, they probably love the conversation around the game, since they see it as interest on it and engagement.

They are also probably learning all the wrong lesson from this game, and will think that GG sold more due the changes made on Strive, instead of finally reaping the gains for making games like Xrd and DBFZ.

Sadly, now we are stuck with a lot of stupid changes in gameplay, aesthetics, music, lore, etc with the added "bonus" of having the twatter crowd now in the "fanbase"

Strive is indeed the dead of the franchise.

Edited by Hecatom

I have to highlight how insane this is because this is including the big games like SFV, DNF, DBFZ, Tekken 7 etc on Team Spooky's channel.. Now to be fair the BFTG VOD hasn't gone up and that was the one that broke out with the Combo Breaker VODs, but to be at 25K when it's been up about the same time as all those other games as well as the most established legacy games like VSav, CVS2 and ST is super impressive

Edited by Psychoblue
5 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Anyone up for some Soul Calibur 6? @TWINBLADES @Hecatom  @Mattatsu , anyone else with the game? Twin and Hecatom can duel to settle their differences 😉

Edit: The Matchmaking Discord seems to be dead before anyone asks? @AriesWarlock  @Yiceman....invite spam. Sorry.

I got your notification on PSN but I’m not home yet. Also I haven’t played in like fucking forever so o would be omega rusty. But if you have a lobby up I’ll join and get my ass kicked. It’s actually funny because I literally transferred the game to my PS5 with all the DLC like a month ago. 

6 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Anyone up for some Soul Calibur 6? @TWINBLADES @Hecatom  @Mattatsu , anyone else with the game? Twin and Hecatom can duel to settle their differences 😉

Edit: The Matchmaking Discord seems to be dead before anyone asks? @AriesWarlock  @Yiceman....invite spam. Sorry.

Shit, I haven't played SC6 in like three years, lol. Don't have it installed on my console atm. Maybe I'll dust it off over the weekend and try to remember how to play.

21 minutes ago, TWINBLADES said:

I got your notification on PSN but I’m not home yet. Also I haven’t played in like fucking forever so o would be omega rusty. But if you have a lobby up I’ll join and get my ass kicked. It’s actually funny because I literally transferred the game to my PS5 with all the DLC like a month ago. 

20 minutes ago, Yiceman said:

Shit, I haven't played SC6 in like three years, lol. Don't have it installed on my console atm. Maybe I'll dust it off over the weekend and try to remember how to play.

Don't worry, yesterday was the 1st time we played in months if not a year and months, lol

2 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I haven't played in months. Been busy with other stuff, and we're moving. I'll let you know when I get back to it.

17 minutes ago, Pair of Rooks said:

Other way around. This game exists because of the lessons learned. 

Remove weebs, add trans, Profit!

Also rollback.

I doubt GG will ever go back to the way it was.

Personally i like almost everything they did

-More muted colors than xrd (always thought xrd was too bright)

-Redesigned/new characters are almost all straight improvements aesthetically

-cutting a lot of xx/xrd era mechanics that lo and behold, the game feels just fine without

and it seems to have worked out for them financially, based strive

19 minutes ago, Shahenzan said:

Personally i like almost everything they did

-More muted colors than xrd (always thought xrd was too bright)

-cutting a lot of xx/xrd era mechanics that lo and behold, the game feels just fine without

disgusted new girl GIF

and it seems to have worked out for them financially, based strive

Considering that plenty of the purchases came from people curious about their games after playing Xrd and DBFZ, and that a considerable chunk of people already abandoned the game after the honeymoon period, I would argue that the next GG wouldn't sell as close as this one, since

A) Not many people like the current direction

B) Not many people who bought it liked it enough to comeback for a next entry.

Edited by Hecatom
26 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

disgusted new girl GIF

Considering that plenty of the purchases came from people curious about their games after playing Xrd and DBFZ, and that a considerable chunk of people already abandoned the game after the honeymoon period, I would argue that the next GG wouldn't sell as close as this one, since

A) Not many people like the current direction

B) Not many people who bought it liked it enough to comeback for a next entry.

I know you dont care for the gameplay choices but do you really think strive wasnt an aesthetic upgrade? like for real???

Funny enough in spite of me approving of strive conceptually, i dont play strive anymore bc i think their patches have been really wack 

then again thats classic arcsys

25 minutes ago, Jocelot said:

This makes me sad

what do you miss from old gg? having to learn character specific combos bc hitboxes were weird and janky? character specific wakeup timing? yrc eating inputs? tech buttons (ESPECIALLY in xrd)? constantly OSing throws?

I will say i miss grabbing bursts, that is some shit that they should have kept around

6 minutes ago, Shahenzan said:

I know you dont care for the gameplay choices but do you really think strive wasnt an aesthetic upgrade? like for real???

Funny enough in spite of me approving of strive conceptually, i dont play strive anymore bc i think their patches have been really wack 

then again thats classic arcsys

Strive is gorgeous to look at, but I don't consider it an upgrade, because it lost its edge.

It no longer has the Metal elements that it draw inspiration from.

Then add that it no longer feels like they are trying to fool you into thinking that it is hand drawn animation, since is very obvious that are 3ds.

The newcomers look out of place with the exception of Nagoyuki, which is a great character design.

Many redesigns are bad, Chipp was almost an improvement, but they had to give him sandals for the narutards, Millia looks weird due her proportions, May is now just a girl with a bi sweater, Ky looks like a kpop pretty boy instead of a priest warrior, Leo looks like a retired dad instead of a warrior king that looked like the animal that inspired its namesake, etc, etc

And the GUI is horrid, it looks like some Overwatch shit instead of GG.

The muted colors mean shit when the game feels more like Violet Ever Garden or some other shoujo esque anime.

I love Violet Ever Garden BTW, but the look is not GG.

what do you miss from old gg? having to learn character specific combos bc hitboxes were weird and janky? character specific wakeup timing? yrc eating inputs? tech buttons (ESPECIALLY in xrd)? constantly OSing throws?

Outside the wakeup timing, everything else that you mentioned aren't mechanics.

Edited by Hecatom
7 hours ago, Shahenzan said:

Hard disagree here. I dislike how many of the new characters and redesigns make the characters look almost like normal people. May looks like an average girl rather than a pirate, Giovanna & Goldlewis look like ordinary government employees. I find it to be a major downgrade compared to the character designs of previous games. 

7 hours ago, Shahenzan said:

what do you miss from old gg?

Well I don't want to get too into it but Strive just feels weird to me. There are things I just liked doing in XX and Xrd that just aren't present in Strive. Mostly game flow. 

I genuinely liked the okizeme in past games. I know Xrd went kinda overboard with "knockdown into death" vortexes/ setplay with characters like Raven/Elphelt/Vanilla Ram but I felt like getting a knockdown was one of the most intense moments in old games that I guess Strive isn't in to. And I liked the clearer usage of anti airs and the way both Gatling and air combos worked. Strive just plays in a way my brain just can't comprehend honestly. 

But in all honesty I'm very happy for the games success. And I like to watch it too. I just don't like playing it that's all lol. 

7 hours ago, Hecatom said:

Strive is gorgeous to look at, but I don't consider it an upgrade, because it lost its edge.

It no longer has the Metal elements that it draw inspiration from.

Then add that it no longer feels like they are trying to fool you into thinking that it is hand drawn animation, since is very obvious that are 3ds.

The newcomers look out of place with the exception of Nagoyuki, which is a great character design.

Many redesigns are bad, Chipp was almost an improvement, but they had to give him sandals for the narutards, Millia looks weird due her proportions, May is now just a girl with a bi sweater, Ky looks like a kpop pretty boy instead of a priest warrior, Leo looks like a retired dad instead of a warrior king that looked like the animal that inspired its namesake, etc, etc

And the GUI is horrid, it looks like some Overwatch shit instead of GG.

The muted colors mean shit when the game feels more like Violet Ever Garden or some other shoujo esque anime.

I love Violet Ever Garden BTW, but the look is not GG.

Outside the wakeup timing, everything else that you mentioned aren't mechanics.

I'm just going to have to accept you and I have opposite opinions on this, I think the increased use of washed out colors and shadows make it seem "harder". Especially with how bright Xrd was

Chipp I agree, the chanclas were a bad idea lol, Millia I see nothing wrong with her proportions, May I like now because I thought her old outfit looked stupid, Ky I like more in strive than in Xrd but less than XX, Leo I dont care bc I dont like Leo lol. I think sol's outfit is better, axl's outfit is better, ino better, fausts whole design is better...really besides chipp I think theyre all a step up from Xrd

whatever you wanna call them they sucked and I dont miss them lol

1 hour ago, Hawkingbird said:

Hard disagree here. I dislike how many of the new characters and redesigns make the characters look almost like normal people. May looks like an average girl rather than a pirate, Giovanna & Goldlewis look like ordinary government employees. I find it to be a major downgrade compared to the character designs of previous games. 

I can understand finding Gio boring but Goldlewis is peak aesthetic 

Big ass american with an alien in a coffin >>>>> bedman and kum from xrd. Nago also shits hard on every GG design arcsys put out in xrd era.

43 minutes ago, Jocelot said:

Well I don't want to get too into it but Strive just feels weird to me. There are things I just liked doing in XX and Xrd that just aren't present in Strive. Mostly game flow. 

I genuinely liked the okizeme in past games. I know Xrd went kinda overboard with "knockdown into death" vortexes/ setplay with characters like Raven/Elphelt/Vanilla Ram but I felt like getting a knockdown was one of the most intense moments in old games that I guess Strive isn't in to. And I liked the clearer usage of anti airs and the way both Gatling and air combos worked. Strive just plays in a way my brain just can't comprehend honestly. 

But in all honesty I'm very happy for the games success. And I like to watch it too. I just don't like playing it that's all lol. 

If you wanted to loop setplay then I totally understand why you didnt care for the strive changes bc they definitely targeted that style 

some characters can play that way with wall slump loops in strive, but even that wouldnt compare to what it used to be

You know Strive catches a lot of strays for stuff that happened in previous titles. So lets take a look at a lot of random shit that preceded Strive as opposed to blaming it:

1) A.B.A. mummy with a key looking ass. Looks beyond out of place compared to the rest of the cast. Good riddance.

2) LMAO Ramlethal, Elphelt, and Bedman. All three looked dumb  as hell. No amount of heavy handed rock references in the design saved either Bedman or Elphelt from looking goofy. Ramlethal just looked awful with the two big swords flying around. I got used to it but it doesn't make it any better.

3) Leo skinny jeans. Dude out here mad 24/7 because his own pants give him a wedgie.

4) Kum's goofy ass too. Its a robot and there's a waifu inside. Fetish character.

Complaining about Strive designs is silly when technically things have been kinda wack with the newcomers for years. Nagoriyuki's visual design dunks on literally everybody I've mentioned so far. Hell Gio's design dunks on those bitches too. Goldlewis swinging a coffin? Better than the 4 goofballs on top.

Gameplay wise we could probably talk about this, that and the third. But what is fundamentally important about discussing gameplay is..that dudes don't wanna fess up to how many awful ideas were in the XX series.  The original GG is technically an unplayable broken mess, GG X is an unplayable broken mess, XX flipped between them etc. Either way there is a lot of dumb shit and awful balancing in the series; like legitimately and intentional bad balancing. Compared to the older ones, balance is "technically" better in Strive.

Either way, the point is I hope Chun straight punches Juri in her good eyeball for the disrespect.

@Skort I noticed Juri's FSE doesn't automatically make her dash forward from Yossan video. They also nerfed her fireball game having to store twice in order to get a fireball.

8 minutes ago, Sonero said:

Either way, the point is I hope Chun straight punches Juri in her good eyeball for the disrespect.

Unlikely. Auntie Chun is already in decline while Juri is gonna rub it in her face.

ezgif-2-b673e104c1.gif

4 minutes ago, AriesWarlock said:

They also nerfed her fireball game having to store twice in order to get a fireball.

Nope, from what i saw only once. 

She has the uncharged fireball that travels nowhere, but most likely used to make herself safe

Only has to store once and she has the fireball she currently has in SFV

She also has EX version of her fireball that double hits and travels faster ( she has EX versions of all her stores as opposed to SFV where it was only heavy one ) 

4 minutes ago, AriesWarlock said:

noticed Juri's FSE doesn't automatically make her dash forward from Yossan video.

I saw that as well, i wonder if she can do that only while in FSE. 

Edited by Skort
43 minutes ago, Shahenzan said:

I can understand finding Gio boring but Goldlewis is peak aesthetic 

Big ass american with an alien in a coffin >>>>> bedman and kum from xrd. Nago also shits hard on every GG design arcsys put out in xrd era.

If you remove the alien coffin gold lewis ends being just as boring as Gio. It's not enough to save the design for me.

I actually like Kum. She takes a common troupe and turns it on it's head.characters like Kum is what I want from GG.

I like Nago. I think he is the best design in Strive.

2 minutes ago, Skort said:

Nope, from what i saw only once. 

She has the uncharged fireball that travels nowhere, but most likely used to make herself safe

Only has to store once and she has the fireball she currently has in SFV

She also has EX version of her fireball that double hits and travels faster

Yeah, you are right. I meant the "uncharged fireball" was #1, fireball #2. But that "uncharged fireball" that has no distance and only hits low looks pointless to me. Yossan did two in a row of those uncharged fireballs, meaning the store motion is no longer 236 + LK, it seems.

24 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

If you remove the alien coffin gold lewis ends being just as boring as Gio. It's not enough to save the design for me.

I actually like Kum. She takes a common troupe and turns it on it's head.characters like Kum is what I want from GG.

Goldlewis looks like what you'd expect a high ranking American general would look like in the GG universe. Gio is kinda boring visually; but her being kinda boring visually is more about how there's more to the Guilty Gear world than just the goofs in the first tournament.

She looks fine for what her character is supposed to be. Still leagues better than Elphelt, Ram, Bedman or Kum.