Stage Select

The Return of.. Terribly Unpopular Opinions.

Just now, hanzohattori12 said:

Three people before you, @RSG3 ? You’re slacking.  And here I thought you were focused. SMH 

I have a job you goofy fuck lmao.  Making my paycheck is more important then clowning you and your itty bitty tiny weeny little floppy dick.  I do that in my free time for entertainment. 

I'll try to be faster on the draw next time tho, just for you bro. 

Edited by RSG3
49 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

I have a job you goofy fuck lmao.  Making my paycheck is more important then clowning you and your itty bitty tiny weeny little floppy dick.  I do that in my free time for entertainment. 

I'll try to be faster on the draw next time tho, just for you bro. 

Much appreciated, though it is the least you can do, since you took quite an interest the last few times I posted.🤷🏽‍♂️  I’ll be watching 👍🏽

Just now, hanzohattori12 said:

Much appreciated, though it is the least you can do, since you took quite an interest the last few times I posted.🤷🏽‍♂️  I’ll be watching 👍🏽

Ah you are confusing convenient with actual interest. 

1 hour ago, misterBee said:

Potato is potato baby.

Baked, boiled, mashed, fried, or what ever Potatoes are still potatoes. 
I usually get ether baked or mashed potatoes with my Steak, and a House Salad with Caesar dressing as the actual  Caesar Salad in most places is just Lettice and crotons. 

Plus you never had steak till you had a rare filet mignon steak with a lobster tail, shit is to die for. 
If it's done right, the steak melts like butter in your mouth and the lobster just adds to the experience. 

9 hours ago, HD-Man said:

What type of psychopath eats steak with fries? If you don't put a baked potato or salad with that shit. Uncivilized heathens 😤

Oh, the salad with thousand island dressing is still going with the steak fries and steak. 

Speaking of salad ranch dressing, the Hidden Valley Ranch packets that you buy and mix at home are the business. As a matter of fact, that homemade like flavor used to be the norm for Hidden Valley Ranch, while the generic tasting ranch sold in stores today was usually sold at discount stores, most notably the 99 cent store. It seems like only some mom and pop burger spots/pizza joints carry the ranch dressing of old.

EDIT: Wait a minute...

...any time now...⏱🕰

...nothing?

🦗 🦗 🦗 

Like Rei from BoF 3 says, “Don’t that just beat all?”

😂

Edited by hanzohattori12
1 hour ago, AriesWarlock said:

Sweet potato fries are👍

Green and white tea are 👍

Baked Japanese sweet potato is 👌. It's got a bit less mushy texture than regular sweet potato, and the flavor is sweeter and less carrot-like.

Tea is like a lot of things, if you're mixing things with it and get the proportions wrong, it'll be bad. Also, people should steep their tea a little longer than recommended for a stronger flavor, that makes it easier to get proportions right. 

9 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

What kind of tea we talking about here? 

For real. When people say blanket statements about an entire category of stuff, I figure they haven't really tried it. 

Like when people say they hate spicy food. That's such a giant spectrum, and there's so many kinds of spicy. Habanero is not the same as horseradish/washabi spicy.   

47 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

Tea is like a lot of things, if you're mixing things with it and get the proportions wrong, it'll be bad. Also, people should steep their tea a little longer than recommended for a stronger flavor, that makes it easier to get proportions right. 

I never take out the tea bag from my cup until I'm done drinking it lol. Adding too much water dilutes the flavor. I've found 10 ounces is the right amount of water for the tea to keep a strong flavor.

I was also watching a show on... Asian Food Network, was it? They visited a tea shop, and the owner said a tip to make good tea is not to use boiling water because it damages the tea. Just hot water is fine.

48 minutes ago, AriesWarlock said:

They visited a tea shop, and the owner said a tip to make good tea is not to use boiling water because it damages the tea. Just hot water is fine.

Read your directions :coffee:

Green tea should generally be steeped in water that's less than boiling, but black tea and herbals usually use boiling water.

My sister-in-law is into tea and has a temperature-controlled hot-water dispenser for getting the exact right temperature.

2 hours ago, AriesWarlock said:

I never take out the tea bag from my cup until I'm done drinking it lol. Adding too much water dilutes the flavor. I've found 10 ounces is the right amount of water for the tea to keep a strong flavor.

I was also watching a show on... Asian Food Network, was it? They visited a tea shop, and the owner said a tip to make good tea is not to use boiling water because it damages the tea. Just hot water is fine.

I actually remember reading a study done by an English scientist who found that microwaving the tea water with the bag in it releases the most tannins or whatever you'd call it. Needless to say the general English population was nonplussed lol. 

I usually drink English breakfast tea and I'll steep it for about 10 min then add whatever I mix to it, but I don't usually keep the bag in as I feel like its too much of a good thing like when you get too much sleep and feel like shit. I don't often even fill the mug up all the way so I'm usually drinking 6-8 ounces at a time. 

Edited by DoctaMario

Since he's been mentioned lately---Woody Allen movies -- just not funny, imo.  As a kid I always figured they were only appealing to my parent's generation.

As much as I enjoy dabbling in Elder Scrolls Online, especially lately... I still don't generally like mmorpgs.  I keep thinking "this would be so much better if it were a *regular* game.." 

10 minutes ago, MillionX said:

Since he's been mentioned lately---Woody Allen movies -- just not funny, imo.  As a kid I always figured they were only appealing to my parent's generation.

As much as I enjoy dabbling in Elder Scrolls Online, especially lately... I still don't generally like mmorpgs.  I keep thinking "this would be so much better if it were a *regular* game.." 

Have you played Tales of Vesperia, yet?

It is my favorite JRPG on the Switch.

Also:

The funniest thing about Woody Allen is that he married his adopted daughter.

That is all kinds of fucked up.

Edited by JHDK

Whole lotta whack blanket statements in here.  If someone said "Games are dumb.  I played Farmville so I'm a gamer and that is dumb so games are dumb," you know y'all would seethe.  That's what it's like when you guys are describing "steak" instead of "ribeye, strip, filet, etc."  Or "Tea/coffee is bad.  I had Lipton's/Folgers all the time and it's terrible so tea is crap." 

I know this is the unpopular opinions thread, but there's a whole lot of underinformed opinions here.

"Steak should be rare." There's multiple cuts of beef that can be steaks, and they all need to be treated differently.  A well-marbled ribeye needs to be medium or hotter--fat doesn't render properly at temps below that and you don't get that flavorful fat self-basting the rest of the meat.  Filet mignon has zero fat and needs to be rare to preserve that beautiful tenderness it's known for.  The fact it has no fat also means it has no flavor (which is why its always served wrapped in bacon or some sauce over it) and is thus only for people who prize tenderness over flavor--wack people.  People who think a super-fatty marbled wagyu steak need to be served as rare as possible will be biting into cold meat butter.  T-bones/Porterhouses are nice since you get two cuts in one (strip and filet), but I find them tricky to cook properly.  Lesser cuts than I mentioned definitely should be served rare or med-rare so they don't get tough, but then your problem is why are you eating cuts that make inferior steaks?  Save a few dollars more for at minimum a choice-grade ribeye.  Prime is awesome.  God Bless Costco for having amazing price/quality ratio for Prime and Choice ribeyes (and meat/fish and everything else).  Steak night to me is a somewhat special, not frequent occurrence, so I justify spending a bit more on these cuts.  Costco definitely helps that.

"Tea is bad" if all you've ever had is the basic yellow box  Lipton.  Lipton is the old, shitty remnants left on the ground after the rest of the  tea leaves were picked by superior companies, overroast them, and stuff them in bags.  Without diving into the rabbit hole of fresh loose-leaf only with temp-controlled kettles, for basic bagged black tea, try something from Yorkshire Tea (English and Scottish Breakfasts are pretty approachable, Assam is great) or PG Tips.  Black tea in general can be hit with boiling water (I've had better results with off boil maybe 207°F) for 3-5 minutes.  Green tea needs to be brewed no hotter than 80°C (176°F) for like only 1 minute.  Ito En is like the standard for green tea.

Folgers and the like grocery store level shit are garbage beans that are roasted to the point where you can't taste the original bean anyways so all you taste is burnt shit.  Starbucks does this too with their core lineup, overroasting for the sake of large-volume consistency.  This is how people are convinced this is what coffee flavor is.  Starbucks does have some legit beans, but it tends to be seasonal (Casi Cielo) or is part of their way overpriced reserve line, which is more expensive and inferior to a local fresh coffee roaster if you have access to one of those.  "Dark Roast" means burnt, "Medium" means dark, "French Roast" and "Italian Roast" mean charcoal.

Ditto goes for whiskey haters when all they've had were the basic level Jack/Jim/Johnny.

Upgrade ya palates.  Doesn't necessarily mean spending more.  Also, get a decent instant-read food thermometer.  Not only for nailing perfect steak/meat temps, but for measuring water temp for the above and fry oil temp.  Really changes things, especially if cooking isn't intuitive to you.  Definitely wasn't for me.

I really did not enjoy the highly praised Western rpgs like Fallout, Outer Worlds, Outer Wilds, etc.  They werent awful, but I absolutely can not see how so many people labeled these as the epitome of gaming. I did remember enjoying Fallout 2 when I played it over a decade ago. 

Big text dump.  Back to lurking.

Edited by Saikyotic

oh yeah, that's one I may have mentioned before--- I tried giving the Fallout games a chance... this was all before the travesty that is 76, btw... but it just never kept my attention.  I think the main problem there is that the "post apocalyptic" setting has been done soooo many times that it is just stale at this point....actually it's been stale for many years now, at least for me.  Also, the later ones tried to be more of a shooter that happens to be an RPG kinda thing, but it's terribly lame in terms of being a shooter.

BIO Freaks - I thought this was just a case of poor execution.. the concept seemed alright to me.  I think it would be interesting if a company tried to resurrect that with today's level of graphics and budget.

Counterstrike - I keep wondering when this will finally die.... (*it's still a pretty big deal, right?  I haven't bothered watching twitch in quite a while) This is another one where I just never got the appeal of it.  This is my supernatural/fantasy/sci-fi bias at play here, because if something is just based mostly on "real world" shit like "regular humans shooting at each other", it's automatically a boring thing in my eyes.  This is also why the only thing that could ever interest me about Call of Duty is the zombies mode, but that's played out for me as well now because zombies are the most stale supernatural things out there, imo.  They will never be as cool as vamps, werewolves, ghosts and witchcraft, at least for me.

9 hours ago, Saikyotic said:

Snip

One of my legitimately unpopular opinions is that I don’t even care about food and drink the way y’all are posting about. 

“steak has to be made this way at these degrees with this kind of potato sipped with tea made from leaves shaved straight from Athena’s bush” blah blah blah I don’t fucking care. 

As I’ve said before I have my preferences but food is so overrated like I can’t imagine having opinions this strong on a fucking cut of meat I’m gonna shit out in less than 24 hours. People who take pictures of their food or absolutely need hot sauce on everything also annoy me like just fucking eat. 

59 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

One of my legitimately unpopular opinions is that I don’t even care about food and drink the way y’all are posting about. 

“steak has to be made this way at these degrees with this kind of potato sipped with tea made from leaves shaved straight from Athena’s bush” blah blah blah I don’t fucking care. 

As I’ve said before I have my preferences but food is so overrated like I can’t imagine having opinions this strong on a fucking cut of meat I’m gonna shit out in less than 24 hours. People who take pictures of their food or absolutely need hot sauce on everything also annoy me like just fucking eat. 

I completely understand caring about food is prepared. The smallest thing can have a huge impact on how a meal turns out. For something like steak where how you cook greatly impacts how it tastes damn fucking right I'm going to be picky about it.

Man, I just think its silly to assume just cause I say, "I think tea sucks", that I've only tried one brand of generic tea.  I guess that one guy would assume I've never eaten a rare steak either...cause you know, I said its nasty.

P.S.  Also preparing the steak is important to the overall taste and tenderness.  Gotta salt it on both sides and let it sit in the fridge overnight.  Let it sit on the counter and get to room temperature before cooking.

You know what I think sucks now.  Sneakers.  They are all ugly.  I have to search high and low to get a pair of sneakers that aint some kinda ugly.  Y'all wear ugly shoes.  And they're mad expensive.

Edited by Faltimar the Dark
16 minutes ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

You know what I think sucks now.  Sneakers.  They are all ugly.  I have to search high and low to get a pair of sneakers that aint some kinda ugly.  Y'all wear ugly shoes.  And they're mad expensive

Agreed. I'm not a sneakerhead by any means but I don't understand why anyone would want to rock these

la-ig-nike-kobe-6-protro-grinch.jpg

Don't want my shoes looking like Mountain Dew.

Edited by Hawkingbird
1 hour ago, Vhozite said:

Food, a life requirement, is overrated. 

All the shit I posted was mostly not even being picky and preferential but about people making bad  judgments of entire foods when they only experienced the worst of it [/lifemetaphor].  And reasonings based on objective food science.  I wasn't even like "I only drink 150ppm spring water at 76F through a titanium straw in a crystal skull" or whatever Beyonce had for that rider request. 

Here's my first, actual unpopular opinion for the thread: Coke Zero > Coke.  After having Zero for so long and trying the original for the first time in a while,  Coke is cloyingly sweet and syrupy and really doesn't go well with meals at all (usually when I drink soda).  Of course, Mexican Coke is awesome for not being those things.

Taste is one of the most complex and pleasureable senses we've got.  Treating it nice

doesn't take much.  One of the lower effort and less expensive things to make life that much less miserable.  We need food and drink multiple times a day, might as well make it enjoyable.  These "food is food I don't care its just fuel that I poop out anyways the end result is all that matters" people and the like...man.  If you could get all your nutrition from a machine like in Chrono Trigger future world ("You're HP/MP is fully recovered...but you're still hungry") and skip the tasting and satiation process...would you intentionally choose that?

I've met and/or read about on the internet people with poor-as-shit backgrounds who previously had to eat whatever they could for survival become great cooks and are really picky what they eat because they don't want to relive that misery again and helps them feel more in control of their situation.  So that mentality can't come from survival eating only.

About that raw meat and disease shit, definitely a thing.  If you get meat from a source you don't really trust fully or you have a compromised immune system, well-done all the way.  Not gonna leave it in steak form, definitely gonna slice it up and stir fry it, maximum surface area disinfecting that meat lol.  Not gonna order anything colder than med-well from some rando burger joint on the backstreets.

And yeah, a burger can taste better than any Prime ribeye when the mood strikes.  I know the trendy style right now is thin, smaller smashed patties ala Shake Shack (and I love it), but I prefer the "traditional" thick steak burger of old.  Fuddruckers was the GOAT chain restaurant for this style, R.I.P.  Their fake molten cheese from the pump > any real cheese you could put on a burger.  Shit was liquid gold.  That's another actual opinion that belongs here.

Which brings me to another actual arguable opinion: Whataburger is wack.  I looked forward to it when I moved and lived in Texas for a while and was sorely disappointed.  Their meat is so bland, I wondered how it could get so much praise.   The Texans I asked all said the same thing: "The best part is ya can stack it with any toppins ya want as much as ya want!" I think the main show of the burger is the meat and the rest of it are support to complement and bring out the best in the beef.  But clearly, many people just want a 10-ingredient salad with meat texture between bread.  And "muh freedomz" to add whatever they want to a burger.

oh yeah that's another thing---the hot sauce. 😆 I cannot stand "hot sauce".  Around 99% of the people I knew while growing up love to put hot sauce on everything.. it's like one of those "rules" of being from the Southern part of the U.S.  ...it's the same deal with the chicken; some places or social gatherings just *assume* that since it's the south and/or since everyone involved is Black--- we ALL want hot spicy chicken.  Nah, give me the mild chicken any day over the hot shit.  To me, the "hot" aspect of it is interfering too much with the real chicken taste... also, I'd rather my experience eating something be a pleasurable thing.

..and those commercials with the Popeye's chicken sandwich... that giant clump of mayo they show on there... goddamn that repulses me every time.... seriously, I'm having trouble imagining a visual more disgusting than that....horrible, man...like a little pile of jizz and puke on what would've been a perfectly good sandwich.  Hell nah, man.  I actually have to look away or change the channel each time that nonsense is on tv.  For me, it's the same level as if you showed someone a pizza with a giant elephant turd on it as a "topping".  Nah, fuck that.

Frustrated Clint Eastwood GIF

Edited by MillionX
2 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

Agreed. I'm not a sneakerhead by any means but I don't understand why anyone would want to rock these

la-ig-nike-kobe-6-protro-grinch.jpg

Don't want my shoes looking like Mountain Dew.

I went to like 3 or 4 shoe stores the other day (Footlocker, Footaction, etc) and the selection was super trash. Everything is either mono-color dad shoes or some clown looking Jordan’s that somehow look crazy and uninspired at the same time. 

I will say that I do actually like the shoes in the picture, though I wouldn’t buy them because low top sneakers give me ankle pain in my left foot for some reason. I need the extra support from higher up shoes. 

Chitlins are amazing.

Sugar on grits > salt and pepper/hot sauce (Grandmother and father’s thing, never understood it)

Didn’t know shrimp and grits were a thing until recently. Hard pass, though. Grits are strictly breakfast food for me.

Malt-o-Meal is the 🐐 

Edited by hanzohattori12
22 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I prefer not to get mad cow disease.

*pushes up glasses* cooking a steak well done will not kill mad cow. Mad cow is caused by infectious proteins called Prions, and they are heat resistent. 

" In general, prions are quite resistant to proteases, heat...134 °C (273 °F) for 18 minutes in a pressurized steam autoclave has been found to be somewhat effective in deactivating the agent of disease"

Source:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prion#Sterilization

So unless you cook the ever living fuck out of your meat, mad cow will still be in there and infectious. 

Best bet would be to grill, then pop in a 350 degree oven for 20-30 minutes if you're worried about mad cow, but you better have some A1 or something on hand, cause that steak will be a boot at that point. 

On 3/7/2021 at 12:06 PM, Saikyotic said:

"I only drink 150ppm spring water at 76F through a titanium straw in a crystal skull" or whatever Beyonce had for that rider request.

Actually the reason for goofy rider requests wasn't to be difficult (at least initially, I'm not sure how it is now.)

The famous example is Van Halen asking for a big bowl of M&M's with no green ones, but that was actually a shit test for the promoter. They had a lot of pyro in their shows and so the stage had to be certain dimensions so that everything was safe, and they knew that if they walked into a green room and saw green M&M's, that the promoter probably didnt read the rider all too closely where it was important much less insignificant stuff like the M&M's and they could potentially end up with a Great White situation and a lot of death. So it gave them an out contractually without having to check what else might be wrong. 

7 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

Actually the reason for goofy rider requests wasn't to be difficult (at least initially, I'm not sure how it is now.)

You're right.  I know they're mostly shit tests to test overall attention-to-detail--I was just using that as an example for actually outrageously picky people who do that for real.  Maybe I should've used the stereotypical Starbucks order.  I know Kanye ordered a Hennessy-Coke-slushie machine on tour that I'm sure just wasn't a shit test.  ngl sounds baller as hell 🤣

35 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

The famous example is Van Halen asking for a big bowl of M&M's with no green ones, but that was actually a shit test for the promoter. They had a lot of pyro in their shows and so the stage had to be certain dimensions so that everything was safe, and they knew that if they walked into a green room and saw green M&M's, that the promoter probably didnt read the rider all too closely where it was important much less insignificant stuff like the M&M's and they could potentially end up with a Great White situation and a lot of death. So it gave them an out contractually without having to check what else might be wrong. 

I would say that children are overvalued, but I understand why they have no one to speak for them. However, I think on this subject of some of them being apart of the transgender community, the kids should have a say in their transition while being at that age, because the suicide rate in that community is high enough. The think the fixation of controlling their decisions on this subject until adulthood is outdated and obsolete, which the same can be said for marriage from the latter. Regardless, a little leniency wouldn't hurt them.

5 hours ago, Emptyeyes said:

I would say that children are overvalued, but I understand why they have no one to speak for them. However, I think on this subject of some of them being apart of the transgender community, the kids should have a say in their transition while being at that age, because the suicide rate in that community is high enough. The think the fixation of controlling their decisions on this subject until adulthood is outdated and obsolete, which the same can be said for marriage from the latter. Regardless, a little leniency wouldn't hurt them.

Parents co-signing transitioning that would cause permanent physical or physiological changes for a kid under 17 is child abuse

Edited by DoctaMario