Stage Select

The Return of.. Terribly Unpopular Opinions.

Sheeeeeit, I always enjoyed these kinds of topics...

• I enjoyed Simon's Quest; it surprises me how often I notice other Castlevania fans hated that one.
  • Dreamcast was a much more appealing system than Ps2 in the beginning of that era.
  • Overwatch vs. Battleborn --- Battleborn was and still is the much more interesting game for me. It had way more going on in there, but sadly Overwatch would go on to completely destroy it in the popularity contest.
  • The lootbox "controversy" was blown WAY out of proportion, imo. There has been no game I've played where they were an absolute necessity to spend real money on. Usually you could earn the boxes or whatever was in them by just playing the damn game.

• -I have PC and Console versions of Diablo 3---console version (at least XB1 and PS4) is the superior version of the game. PC fans will bring up how it's hacked to hell but I honestly don't care...that has no effect on my game... it's called "don't play with randoms", bruh. (*and even if you choose to play with random folks-- so far I haven't heard of any truly malicious stuff going on, like in the Phantasy Star Online days where people could player-kill or change your character into an NPC, corrupt your save, etc.)
  • -Tetris was only ever "ok" status for me. It's strange to see the amount of praise it got over the years. I don't hate it but it's definitely not something that would be in my "Top 20 of All Time" sort of list...it's just so-so.  It's like the light appetizer or snack you get when you perhaps don't have time to enjoy a real, more substantial full-course meal.
  • There is nothing Telltale can produce that will ever interest me even slightly...same goes for those David Cage "games".
  • I don't get the appeal of "battle royale" games. PUBG looks terrible in every possible way. There is literally nothing about it that looks fun or interesting to me.

• Turn-based RPGs.  Yes I still hate them.  I always have, and I always will.  When I find out that's how a game is, there is nothing else that can save it.  Heh, I used to laugh about this with a certain friend back in the day...how we'd see a game that looks cool in the preview section of EGM... then you read something like "this turn-based RPG puts players into.." and IMMEDIATELY  that page is getting turned, bruh.
Edited by MillionX

Okay I'll join in.

• Final Fantasy VII is the most overrated game of all time. It's an average JRPG with a poor story that just happened to be the first JRPG to get a major ad push in the West. The game is style over substance. Sephiroth is the JRPG version of Broly. "He looks so cool" and his background is so dumb. Cloud is a woman beating identity thief. Tifa is a woman who risked the lives of her friends at Avalanche for the geeky kid she paid no mind to growing up. Yuffie managed to do the impossible by being a ninja in Final Fantasy game that sucks.  I could go on.

• Mass Effect 3 is not a good game. People say it was 95% good until the ending. Maybe if it's your first Mass Effect game. The story is by in large was bad. Characters were OOC. All the Mass Effect 2 characters, except Legion and Mordin, were sidelined. None of them were squad mates. Player agency was stripped away so that Bioware could force their version of Shepard onto the player. A pure Renegade Shepard would not have had PTSD over a random child. Why is the Quest Log that worked in the first two games suddenly trash? WTF happened to the Dialog options? What is with the lack of neutral option conversation options. Why do I make one conversation choice and Shepard rambles on with out my input for several minutes. I could right a damned booked about this....but I'll stop for now.

-I like SF Alpha 3. Yes A2 is better competitively but I like the goofy juggle properties, and stuff like world tour mode, the announcer. It had the best endings in a SF game. It was one of the few post SF2 games to have basically an all new soundtrack instead of just using the  SF2 themes

Those Funko Pop dolls made of various superhero characters look lame.

I like jam, cream cheese on pancakes.

Oh yeah--- I can't stand the Funko Pops...  the only ones that look ok are the Cuphead characters, and that's because the art style is similar enough that it fits with the simplistic style you see in those.  

"Arcade style" racing games will always be superior to the horribly boring, slow-ass "sim style" racers... but I tend to prefer kart-racing games anyway since that brings the extra element of attacking and defense options... which leads right into another thing-- Modnation will forever be the king of that category, imo.  There will never be a Mario Kart that can hang with what Modnation Racers brought to the table, unless they just straight up copy what Modnation did and let us have an insane level of customization on everything.

Despite the fact I enjoyed Thor Ragnarok--- I normally don't like when superhero movies go too far into the territory of being a damn comedy show.  It just comes off as lame and takes away from things too much if it's just a series of one-liners and sight gags, witty remarks, etc.  A little of it is fine but don't go overboard with that shit.

One of the most underrated fighters was Eternal Champions.  I absolutely loved that game... it's a shame that this IP is owned by That Company™.

Monday Night Combat - This was one of the best co-op/multiplayer experience ever made during the 360/PS3 era.  It's sad that today most people probably forgot it ever existed.  Like most Live Arcade games, it came out and was kinda hot for a while but forgotten in a tragically short period of time...it seems like console gamers in particular are quick to move on to whatever is the next big thing asap....even if the previous thing was a lot of fun.  I really loved that game though--- I was usually playing the "Support" guy...such good times; I had 2 friends that played it regularly with me for a while.

I've tried to like Fallout a few times now, but that game's world, characters and general story just never grabbed me.  It all looks so damn stale, and the gameplay looks boring too.  Yeah, I say this despite being a big fan of Skyrim despite its flaws... at least with Elder Scrolls, I prefer that world and the general lore in it.  Sometimes I think it's just the post-apocalyptic setting that turns me off... because it's kinda like that with movies and shows---if I see that something is "post apocalyptic.." then I'm already starting to zone out because we've seen that shit 10000 times now for the past few decades in all mediums of entertainment.

My last playthrough of FF8 I used the card method to get everyone's final weapons/limit breaks as early as possible.  Then I drew all the best magic and junctioned it to everyone's stats.  Then I proceeded to beat the game while leveling up as little as possible (enemy levels scale with your chars, so having lvl 99 chars actually makes the game HARDER).  I think I ended up beating the game at lvl 13 or something.

GFs and the junction system are broken if you know what you are doing, but the sense of freedom and the ability to do whatever you want is sickkkkkk.

that reminds me--- I really don't like auto-scaling enemies in any rpgs... I mentioned earlier not liking the turn-based stuff but that silliness is something that creeps into the action-RPGs too.  It's annoying because it takes away from the "power fantasy"...the idea of starting off as a regular warrior or mage or whatever, or perhaps even some random chump... but eventually becoming godlike powerful.  There's no sense of progression or character evolution if the enemies are always stronger than you no matter what.  If I was programming it, I'd design things so that's either only the last boss or 2...or it's relegated to a higher difficulty mode. 

• 3DS vs. PS Vita-- yeah, I'll take Vita any day of the week....at least in my mind that is not even a close battle. 
  • The so-called "classic" Frogger was always lame.  It's strange to see that game continue to get remade and appearing on countless systems over the years.
4 hours ago, MillionX said:
  • 3DS vs. PS Vita-- yeah, I'll take Vita any day of the week....at least in my mind that is not even a close battle. 
  • The so-called "classic" Frogger was always lame.  It's strange to see that game continue to get remade and appearing on countless systems over the years.

I like the Vita hardware, but there are few games worth playing on it for me.  A good chunk of the stuff it has are also on PS4, so I'd just play those versions.

Frogger is popular because it's so simple, and has massive casual appeal.  Crossy Road anyone?

• 2 years later...

RESURRECTION!

I’ll try to list a few to get us going 

1. Eating is overrated. I obviously have preferences but people who pretend food is the best thing ever get on my nerves. 

2. Assassins Creed games have been stale trash since 2 @misterBee

3. NBA 2k games are garbage 

4. Drinking alcohol is overrated 

5. Face>Titties = Ass

Edited by Vhozite

lol why is there a 2 year gap on this thing?

Anyway, social media isn't actually social. They used to claim being on the internet and messaging people was anti-social and for geeks and nerds or whatever. But now everyone is on social media, and even pre-pandemic it seemed like most people prefer their social media life over their real life (although their social media is usually faking their real life being better than it is).

So this makes me think most people are actually not  sociable and only did that stuff because they felt pressured into it. When they had the choice, they clearly preferred to put some distance between themselves, as is also the case with the wealthier people are, the more distance and space they use and the more excuses they have for not being around people in general, especially regular people or strangers.

So the idea that most people are extroverted is probably wrong, and maybe it's some sort of social programming from the top to try and force people into thinking they are, because somehow that makes things better for the people at the top, but really people just will take the non-social options if they have any choice at it, while claiming otherwise.

aha, it's back...well more logs on the fire then..

Indiana Jones & the Temple of Doom - this is my favorite Indiana Jones film.  I enjoy all of the original 3, but Temple is in the top spot.  It was quite a surprise when many years later, I'd find out that a LOT of franchise fans think it's the worst (until Crystal Skull happened).  The coolest death scene is still that nazi's face getting melted in the first one though....it's hard to top something like that.

The modern interpretation of zombies being always the result of a virus is conceptually boring to me.  Supernatural things are much more interesting when certain things are left unexplained... then there's still the element of magic and the unknown going on there...and thus the scenario becomes that much more disturbing.  It makes for a better horror story if you don't know exactly why these people that were previously dead are "alive" again...perhaps with new abilities in the case of vampires and other things. 

3rd-person perspective is so much more enjoyable in a game-- it's the one major thing I'd change about the Borderlands franchise.  Even now, all these years later as I replay B2 and Pre-Sequel on Switch... I keep thinking of how great it would be if I had the option for 3rd person... then the character customization would matter that much more.  Customization doesn't mean that much to me if I can't see my character 99% of the damn time.  The first major disappointment for me with the hopefully still-upcoming Bloodlines 2 is that they made it first-person only.

Edited by MillionX
1 hour ago, MillionX said:

Supernatural things are much more interesting when certain things are left unexplained... then there's still the element of magic and the unknown going on there...and thus the scenario becomes that much more disturbing.  It makes for a better horror story if you don't know exactly why these people that were previously dead are "alive" again...perhaps with new abilities in the case of vampires and other things. 

Funny enough this is something I disagree with. I don’t need to know every detail but i for sure like to know why things happen or where they came from. 

I remember reading Swan Song 

by Robert McCammon and 2nd biggest biggest reason I hated it  (another unpopular take...apparently this book is supposed to be hot shit) because almost all of the supernatural shit happening in the book is never explained. The book started off fairly based in reality as a post apocalyptic story then gradually adds more fantastical that seem to come out of nowhere and are rarely explained as to how they work. The author creates very interesting questions about what’s going on and by the end of your 1000 page journey half of them are still unanswered when you’re served your generic good guys win/it’s a new day ending. 

Also related to zombies as a virus: World War Z (the book) was just ok 

15 hours ago, Vhozite said:

3. NBA 2k games are garbage

Is this unpopular? Those games feel like they took an actual basketball videogame and covered it in oil and superglue. It's simultaneously too sticky and too slippery at the same time. 

My unpopular opinions:

Bacon is overrated

BoTW isn't that good

You should only have one pair of jeans

People wash some items of clothing way too often

Mittens are way better than gloves  

2 hours ago, KingTubb said:

Is this unpopular? Those games feel like they took an actual basketball videogame and covered it in oil and superglue. It's simultaneously too sticky and too slippery at the same time. 

Maybe it’s just my area but niggas stay jerking off 2k. If you’re young and/or black sometimes it feels like you’re only allowed to like 2k, COD, GTA, and MK. Other than the first one I have nothing against those games but mention playing anything else and most people’s eyes glaze over. Even when I loved basketball the game always felt bad to play. I always preferred Madden but I haven’t played that in a good decade. 

Bacon IS overrated for sure but it’s definitely still good. 

15 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

If you’re young and/or black sometimes it feels like you’re only allowed to like 2k, COD, GTA, and MK

I honestly haven't touched it since college, same applies to COD (until very recently) and GTA, so I see where you're coming from. 

I didn't play much 2K in college, but loved watching my roommates and their friends play, cause it would almost come to blows a quarter of the time and grown men would get so frustrated at that doo doo game that teared would be shed. Good times

18 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

I always preferred Madden but I haven’t played that in a good decade. 

Madden also fucking sucks. FIFA and NHL are the only annual sports franchises that are kinda ok. The Show can suck my left nut

15 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

I'll throw in my 2 cents.

I'm perfectly fine with physical media going away. I find digital far more convenient. I don't have to waste physical space, can purchase/rent whenever and wherever, easier to backup, have instant access to my product and tend to be cheaper in the long run. 

It has its downsides, but I agree about the convenience and overall positive effect of digital distribution. I don't miss the scarcity of good games  (especially more niche/cult/hardcore games that didn't sell millions) after they went out of print. The prices go down instead of skyrocketing, and assuming the title isn't yanked due to licensing or left on a dead platform (i.e. Konami's Rebirth games), they'll be available for years to come. Also, the publisher continues to earn on games after initial release, which means we're more likely to get sequels for games/franchises that see interest grow after the release window passes. But right now we still get the best of both worlds, so I certainly wouldn't wish for physical media to go away. I'm surprised we didn't see publishers going to a print on demand model for old releases since the days of expensive ass cartridges ended. 

11 hours ago, MillionX said:

aha, it's back...well more logs on the fire then..

Indiana Jones & the Temple of Doom - this is my favorite Indiana Jones film.  I enjoy all of the original 3, but Temple is in the top spot.  It was quite a surprise when many years later, I'd find out that a LOT of franchise fans think it's the worst (until Crystal Skull happened).  The coolest death scene is still that nazi's face getting melted in the first one though....it's hard to top something like that.

Same for me. I think it's partly because I grew up only with regular TV, and they aired ToD all the time, and it was on the channels that actually came in with good reception with the old rabbit ear antennas. That, Hercules, Star Wars ANH and Speed were probably the most aired stuff on TV. Saturdays you'd also see Conan sometimes.

I was surprised how fans hated ToD, but in retrospect, when I went to rewatch the old Hercules: legendary journeys with Kevin Sorbo, it was really pretty crappy. It's possible if I actually did rewatch Indy, I'd think it would suck too. I don't know when I'd see it again though.

23 hours ago, Vhozite said:

2. Assassins Creed games have been stale trash since 2 @misterBee

I've never seen anyone be more wrong in their life.

21 hours ago, Vhozite said:

Yeah I agree social media is ass

I have friends all over the world and messaging apps/social media are the main way I am able to keep up with them.  I also use social media to show off my work/projects. Gonna hard disagree here.

1 hour ago, RSG3 said:

Well if you insist...

You're already dead.

martial arts shin GIF

8 hours ago, Saikyotic said:

Do you read the Korean webcomic "Solo Leveling"?  Sounds right up your alley.

nah I've never heard of this.  ..but yeah, I enjoy the character evolution probably the most in action-rpgs....enemies that were a major problem eventually become a joke later once you have new powers and abilities and battle experience.  

The Matrix franchise-- I'm one of those people that still enjoyed Reloaded...and *some* aspects of Revolutions.  With Reloaded, I love that Burly Brawl fight scene, and the soundtrack for Reloaded was actually best of of the 3 films, imo....that Burly Brawl fight theme, along with Chateau... I still listen to those themes regularly.  They are 2 of my favorite "action scene" themes of all time....

goddamn GOLD, right there; and inspiring too... I've always visualized action scenes I'd direct or storyboard with this theme as the background music.

Edited by MillionX
2 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

I'll throw in my 2 cents.

I'm perfectly fine with physical media going away. I find digital far more convenient. I don't have to waste physical space, can purchase/rent whenever and wherever, easier to backup, have instant access to my product and tend to be cheaper in the long run. 

I don’t mind digital media when it’s something I can actually download and put on a hard drive. If I’m paying for a service where whatever I’m watching/listening to can randomly disappear one day and I’m SOL then no. 

I’ve bought maybe 5 physical games in the last 2 years but I still buy dvds for movies and tv because I don’t trust streaming services.

yeah, and besides the threat of things just vanishing in a world of streaming dominance.. there's the scenario of things being changed "in light of modern sensibilities"....and fuck that.  People should realize this is probably going to start happening more and more, with various old movies, shows and games being "fixed" to avoid modern-day controversy from sad saps that get offended by anything and everything.  One recent example is that they digitally made Darryl Hannah's hair longer so it covers her butt in 1 scene of the old movie Splash!.  More than likely, that sort of thing will start becoming the new normal.  Expect movies like "Revenge of the Nerds" and Porkys to be "fixed" soon too....or at some point they change that one scene in Indiana Jones to make it look like that guy with the scimitar had a gun too, so Indy doesn't look too bad for shooting him...or they may even erase whole scenes like the one guy getting his heart torn out.... or in Fright Night, perhaps the whole scene of Jerry Dandridge dancing seductively with Amy will be taken out since that's "too creepy".  Basically, if you want to preserve things you care about, it's best to buy them all on physical media NOW while it's still possible to do so.

...also, speaking of things being changed--- a future version of GI Joe will of course make Scarlet a black woman, since she's a redheaded white woman in the old cartoon and you know how the rules go concerning that.

another one---Ian McKellen is an awesome presence on screen... but I always considered him to be just too damn old to be Magneto.  

Edited by MillionX
7 hours ago, MillionX said:

yeah, and besides the threat of things just vanishing in a world of streaming dominance.. there's the scenario of things being changed "in light of modern sensibilities"....and fuck that.  People should realize this is probably going to start happening more and more, with various old movies, shows and games being "fixed" to avoid modern-day controversy from sad saps that get offended by anything and everything.  One recent example is that they digitally made Darryl Hannah's hair longer so it covers her butt in 1 scene of the old movie Splash!.  More than likely, that sort of thing will start becoming the new normal.  Expect movies like "Revenge of the Nerds" and Porkys to be "fixed" soon too....or at some point they change that one scene in Indiana Jones to make it look like that guy with the scimitar had a gun too, so Indy doesn't look too bad for shooting him...or they may even erase whole scenes like the one guy getting his heart torn out.... or in Fright Night, perhaps the whole scene of Jerry Dandridge dancing seductively with Amy will be taken out since that's "too creepy".  Basically, if you want to preserve things you care about, it's best to buy them all on physical media NOW while it's still possible to do so.

...also, speaking of things being changed--- a future version of GI Joe will of course make Scarlet a black woman, since she's a redheaded white woman in the old cartoon and you know how the rules go concerning that.

another one---Ian McKellen is an awesome presence on screen... but I always considered him to be just too damn old to be Magneto.  

I think the risk of PC/woke edits/erasures is  a lot greater in movies/TV shows, and do agree that it's better to physically own anything a soy chugging twitter addict might want to campaign against.

PvP in ARPGs-- I never care about this being in that genre.  It surprises me that a lot of fans seem to crave that.  For me, that never comes to mind for any game of that genre... the appealing part of those games to me is just the adventures, character evolution, and the pure gameplay aspect of destroying thousands of enemies/monsters with new, interesting character builds while getting cool legendary gear for doing so.  It's any rpg, really... I just remembered a major part of Elder Scrolls Online is the PvP aspect... it's just not that interesting to me, even though it's probably better executed there (huge battles and fights actually lasting decent amounts of time) than it could be in your average Diablo-style ARPG.  With Elder Scrolls' franchise in particular, I'm more interested in the lore of the world and my character's adventures in that world.  Of course, I don't mind the option existing for those that love pvp, but it's just not my thing.

On 2/10/2021 at 1:29 AM, Reiraku said:

Pulp Fiction isn't a good movie. It just has a few good quotes in it.

Gave this a thumbs up for how hard I disagree with it lol. I’d say it’s overrated but definitely good. 

A couple gaming ones from me:

1. I don’t understand the (long term) appeal of loot based games. They always start out fun with you leveling up and acquiring gear at a reasonable pace to taking on stronger enemies. But then you get to endgame and it always devolves into fighting RNG for hours while farming a couple high level enemies for a few small % increases on your build. The actual gameplay always ends up a tedious load screen to the “real” game which is just RNG sim. 

2. I don’t like hard mode/new game+ if the only changes are enemies becoming bullet sponges or insanely powerful. It’s a sinful double whammy of padding a game with content using copy/paste and adding artificial difficulty with damage changes that only make the game take more time instead of actually forcing the player to use different strategies. Not sure if this is an actually unpopular opinion but I’m still saying it because devs still make games this way. 

3. I don’t really care for air dashers or fighting games with fucktons of special mobility options. Nothing wrong with those games, but I much prefer combat that’s ground based and focuses more on walking in/out. 

2 hours ago, Vhozite said:

The actual gameplay always ends up a tedious load screen to the “real” game

I feel like this is what happens to me in every JRPG I have ever played. Including Nier: Automata, which I know isn't an JRPG, but the same thing happened:

I got too OP from doing all the side quests, and the end of the game became a cakewalk.

I have to bump up the difficulty just to keep it interesting. If I can't change the difficulty in the middle of of playthrough, I usually lose interest and stop playing. 

The Metal Gear Solid games (1,2, and 3- haven't played the PSP games, 4, or more than a few minutes of Ground Zeros/The Phantom Pain) aren't really that fun to play in hindsight. A few minutes of gameplay in between 40 minutes of cutscenes or codec conversations gets pretty boring after the novelty of it being more like an interactive movie wears off.

24 minutes ago, Camacho said:

40 minutes of cutscenes or codec conversations gets pretty boring after the novelty of it being more like an interactive movie wears off.

More like an hour and a half if you're talking about 4. 

5 doesn't really have much of this at all, it's the most gameplay heavy entry in the series.

But also, MGS3 is fucking dope😤

5 hours ago, KingTubb said:

I feel like this is what happens to me in every JRPG I have ever played. Including Nier: Automata, which I know isn't an JRPG, but the same thing happened:

I got too OP from doing all the side quests, and the end of the game became a cakewalk.

I have to bump up the difficulty just to keep it interesting. If I can't change the difficulty in the middle of of playthrough, I usually lose interest and stop playing. 

This was why I stopped playing monster Hunter world despite playing like a fiend for 2 weeks. The game is really easy. When I got to the elder gods and beat them on my first try with almost no trouble i uninstalled. 

7 hours ago, Vhozite said:

1. I don’t understand the (long term) appeal of loot based games. They always start out fun with you leveling up and acquiring gear at a reasonable pace to taking on stronger enemies. But then you get to endgame and it always devolves into fighting RNG for hours while farming a couple high level enemies for a few small % increases on your build. The actual gameplay always ends up a tedious load screen to the “real” game which is just RNG sim. 

I maintain my interest by switching up my builds. Being a pack rat I horde a bunch of shit. With games that freely let you which your classes like monster hunter, Dragon Dogma and Nioh it will feel like a new game. The experimentation it gives is my replay value. 

HOT TAKE MEGA DUMP (much of which I ranted about on SRK)

-Despite thinking they were great as a kid in the early 90's, I do not enjoy the Sonic games at all anymore. Childhood nostalgia isn't enough to save them. 

-I am a big Metroid fan. I bought a GC, a Wii, and a 3DS mainly to play their respective Metroid games. I even had fun with Other M, which certainly isn't great. But I have never been able to enjoy the original NES Metroid. Maybe if I had played if first (with a Nintendo power map or something) I would have enjoyed it, but having played Super Metroid  (or even Metroid 2) first, it's just too obtuse.

-Konami brawlers  (X Men, The Simpsons, both Turtles arcade games, etc) suck ass, and were only popular because of the licenses and great for the time graphics. There are even worse brawlers, but those ones are way too fondly remembered.

-Mortal Kombat was only successful because of its gore/fatality gimmick and maybe it's cool attention getting sound design. Fucking  Hey Punk, Are You Tuff E' Nuff  was more fun that those early MK games (I haven't played one since UMK3, for the record). 

-Art of Fighting, AoF2, and any of the Fatal Fury games have much better OSTs than the SF2 family.

-3rd Strike's OST is fucking rancid. MvC2's music sucks, CvS2's (which might still be my favorite fighter) music is mostly crap. I don't know what Capcom was thinking around that period- maybe someone there thought that stupid "house" music that polluted a ton of PS1 games was cool. 

-Bayonetta's music, much of its presentation (exception being the increasingly demented angels, which I generally like), and story is embarrassing, even by DMC standards. I played it a ton and consider it a great game (enough that I double dipped when it released on PC), but it is overrated on account of Kamiya fanboy hype. The bosses mostly suck, the wicked weaves take a lot of fun out of the combos, and the quicktime events were an idiotic inclusion (man, I loved having a great stage run ruined by those dumb things). Also the dog angels that grab you over and over are super annoying. 

One of the things that holds my interest forever with Diablo; the builds.. most people may complain that D3 is shallow, but there's actually a lot of different ways to build all the characters...and the "season" thing allows for a fresh start each time, so that's always fun for me.  Of course the depth isn't even close to what I see going on in Path of Exile, but it has *enough* going on that I have fun with various builds (since there's quite a difference in how they function...e.g.--naturally a "Vyrs" Wizard is quite a different thing compared to Tal Rasha or Firebird Wizard), along with the visual customization.

That X-men arcade beatemup... I never got into it back then, purely for a superficial reason---the character designs.  They were more based off certain designs in the older comics, which I did NOT like at all.  The X-men designs I fondly remember are from the early 90s cartoon on Saturday mornings....so anything that was not in line with the cartoon's designs instantly looked lame to me.

The entire MMO genre is still unappealing to me.  I think Elder Scrolls Online qualifies as one, but I only *tolerate* that 1 exception because it's an Elder Scrolls game (and oddly enough, it's been a more stable experience than the Skyrim Special Edition.)  One of the disappointments about Diablo 4 is that I think they're implementing more MMO things in that, if I recall...it's like they're determined to make sure I *won't* be interested in buying it.

Edited by MillionX
1 hour ago, MillionX said:

One of the things that holds my interest forever with Diablo; the builds.. most people may complain that D3 is shallow, but there's actually a lot of different ways to build all the characters...and the "season" thing allows for a fresh start each time, so that's always fun for me.  Of course the depth isn't even close to what I see going on in Path of Exile, but it has *enough* going on that I have fun with various builds (since there's quite a difference in how they function...e.g.--naturally a "Vyrs" Wizard is quite a different thing compared to Tal Rasha or Firebird Wizard), along with the visual customization.

I put maybe 3-4 hours into Diablo 3 and didn't like it at all, the amount of loot it drops had me spending way too much time comparing stats and swapping things out constantly. I have the same problem with the Borderlands games (though I did still have enough fun with those to play through 2 and the prequel with friends).