Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread

7 hours ago, TWINBLADES_SRK said:

This game is pretty 

The characters and stages are pretty, but Christ the UI and presentation are still terrible imo. The announcer sounds like he’s doing a depressed version of what GG should sound like. The enormous “ C O U N T E R” text that takes up the bottom 3rd of the screen. The ass cheeks beat counter that looks like a placeholder from alpha SFV. The rest of the UI elements that have absolutely no personality besides being rectangles of various colors. It all clashes with the comparatively beautiful characters and stages. 

Also gonna continue to be a Debbie downer and say that the gameplay looked off to me. I can’t exactly put my finger on it, but it looks kinda...slow? Idk I watched all 3 sets and I just felt like there wasn’t a lot going on most of the time. Also I know I’m the only ones who cares about this but the combos looked kinda lame, though that could be due to unfamiliarity from the players.

This game might not be for me. 

Edited by Vhozite
58 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

The characters and stages are pretty, but Christ the UI and presentation are still terrible imo. The announcer sounds like he’s doing a depressed version of what GG should sound like. The enormous “ C O U N T E R” text that takes up the bottom 3rd of the screen. The ass cheeks beat counter that looks like a placeholder from alpha SFV. The rest of the UI elements that have absolutely no personality besides being rectangles of various colors. It all clashes with the comparatively beautiful characters and stages. 

Also gonna continue to be a Debbie downer and say that the gameplay looked off to me. I can’t exactly put my finger on it, but it looks kinda...slow? Idk I watched all 3 sets and I just felt like there wasn’t a lot going on most of the time. Also I know I’m the only ones who cares about this but the combos looked kinda lame, though that could be due to unfamiliarity from the players.

Thats the entire point of the game.

It is another of those games made to be beginner friendly.

And for eSports apparently, so thats why the UI still looks like a more stylish mobile game.

1 hour ago, Vhozite said:

Also gonna continue to be a Debbie downer and say that the gameplay looked off to me. I can’t exactly put my finger on it, but it looks kinda...slow?

Yeah, I understand this. I was watching gameplay from the first video a few days ago and the animations and stuff looks great, but I found it hard to be interested in what I was seeing. It didn’t captivate me. It didn’t seem exciting.

happy the beta is free... will definitely try it, but I’ll be honest, I’m not sure how invested in it I’ll be.

Edited by Mattatsu
Just now, Mr.Cipher said:

You can all still get Blazblue when it's on Sale on Steam again, I'm always free to play that <.<

I have it on steam. I should probably dig into it more. I just really hate playing on my laptop, and it’s hard for me to be motivated to boot it up to lab and shit. I also remember not be able to find a character I liked.

2 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

I have it on steam. I should probably dig into it more. I just really hate playing on my laptop, and it’s hard for me to be motivated to boot it up to lab and shit. I also remember not be able to find a character I liked.

Just hit me up, when you're online on steam, I'm sure I can help with all your problems.

One thing I find really interesting about how Strive is supposed to be "beginner friendly" is that it looks like guts has been taken out or completely rehauled, and damage is high. 

I honestly think guts is one of the most beginner friendly mechanics in fighting games, or at least it's a great placebo. Matches look a lot closer than they actually are when you look at the health bar in Xrd, so a new player gets the feeling that they're hanging in there. 

1 hour ago, Vhozite said:

The enormous “ C O U N T E R” text that takes up the bottom 3rd of the screen.

This is definitely a beginner friendly addition tho lol. But that only happens with sweeps and HS I think. 

Edited by KingTubb
1 hour ago, KingTubb said:

One thing I find really interesting about how Strive is supposed to be "beginner friendly" is that it looks like guts has been taken out or completely rehauled, and damage is high. 

I honestly think guts is one of the most beginner friendly mechanics in fighting games, or at least it's a great placebo. Matches look a lot closer than they actually are when you look at the health bar in Xrd, so a new player gets the feeling that they're hanging in there. 

This is definitely a beginner friendly addition tho lol. But that only happens with sweeps and HS I think. 

Yeah I was looking at the hp bars and guts is either gone or toned way the fuck down, which I like. As a new GG player in Xrd I always found the super scaling from guts made it harder to tell how good or bad I was doing. Like at the low hp levels unless I was using a heavy hitter like Pot it often felt like guess work trying to figure out if you could finish someone off because that last 20% of the bar could actually be half their hp.

Edit: Yeah I noticed that counter thing was only for certain hits but I still found it extremely obnoxious. I understand letting players know when they got a big hit is important but I feel like between SFV, MK11, and now Strive it’s turning into an arms race of “OMG KID YOU GOT A BIG 🤬HIT HURRY UP 🏃🏽‍♂️ AND GO FOR A CAWMBO RIGHTT NOW BIG DAMAGE TIME 🥳🥳🥳

Edited by Vhozite

Hopefully the show has plenty of content and a concrete release date.

Edit: to add on to the gg talk. I've said from the beginning I'm somewhat nervous that aws may shoot themselves in the foot with strive. They may miss the casuals because let's be real fighting games and especially gg are niche. I don't see making the game slower and easier bringing in too many casuals. 

And then you have the possibility of not pulling in the die hards. It could be a lose lose. I hope not. 

Edited by Illwill88

Guts is still in Strive. It’s just shown way later on the health bar. A Pot Buster took half my life when they used it as their first attack and would become smaller and smaller when I kept getting grabbed.

You can also see it in the recent Ky vs Nagoriyuki video when Ky activates DI and the combo he does barely did anything. Though with the game’s high damage, I could understand why the confusion of guts.

3 hours ago, Dayaan said:

This is so bad. If they knew what was going on, they'd know that Eleven was a failure of a model, which is why the improved Twelve model exists. 

That's actually pretty fitting for SFV tho.

Besides, this is a prequel to 3S. Wouldn't be surprised if the last pick is some random fun pick like Eleven.

3 hours ago, BornWinner said:

If you see someone cry about this, call them a nerd and bully them with this button.

Nago Players: spacer.png

3 hours ago, Vhozite said:

The UI got massively improved. Now it's functional.

Says a lot about how utterly trash it was before.

I honestly hate it. GG is supposed to be over the top and they bring out this Pokemon SwSh garbage that doesn't fit anything the game stands for.

The COUNTER thing really looks like a Crush Counter kind of deal. But it's better than CCs at least one thing. The hitstop is humongous, so you can at least buffer a super on the hitconfirm.

Still gotta look at the actual mechanics behind it, but as distracting as it is, it's pretty interesting.

1 hour ago, KingTubb said:

Matches look a lot closer than they actually are when you look at the health bar in Xrd, so a new player gets the feeling that they're hanging in there.

Not really. As a beginner, I'd be demoralized if a dude whacked me for 60% plus a meaty without knowing just how much left I really got left.

Fuck Guts. It's a completely retarded mechanic that messes with visual clarity. You already gotta keep track of too much shit to be guessing how much health people got despite looking at their health bar.

13 minutes ago, BornWinner said:

Guts is still in Strive. It’s just shown way later on the health bar.

I figured. I could tell that something had changed, cause if I'm watching an Xrd match the last 30% of the health bar feels like the last minute of a college basketball game.

TAKES FOOOOOOOORRRRREEEEEVVVVVVEEEEEERRRRR 

3 hours ago, Vhozite said:

Is like this game is not GG, 🤔

5 minutes ago, Pair of Rooks said:

Maybe it's a "comeback mechanic"

It doesn't help you come back any more than a longer health bar would...

I mean, hidden health values in SF are kinda wack imho, I think the bars should be different lengths and all attacks take the same chunk of damage on every character, but I understand that's a lot of unnecessary UI work. 

But maybe guts is better, I dunno.  

5 hours ago, Dayaan said:

This is so bad. If they knew what was going on, they'd know that Eleven was a failure of a model, which is why the improved Twelve model exists. 

It's not gonna be a  "character" like twelve I think I know were they are heading into

I think I already know this one way before the speculators and fake theories in eventhubs comment section and article.

here's the clue:

Spoiler

ddiikcq-1e825afc-1c16-4726-8d5e-1cd33492

sfex2p.png

06_urieneleven.png

Trust me guys, I'm a head of this... nah just joking

Edited by Shakunetsu

Guts is a trash tier mechanic. As the attacker it turns kill situations into guessing games because the near death player basically has hidden hp. Imo there should almost never be variables hidden from a player like that.

People say it’s a comeback mechanic but it’s pretty shit for that too. As it turns out, dying slightly slower does not do much to help a critical health player win. 

Never mind the fact that it makes no logical sense. Why is someone who has damage from a whole round of fighting suddenly more resilient? It’s nonsense.