Stage Select

The MEGASHOCK Saloon Thread 2.0

20 hours ago, DrLariat said:

Doctamario cool costume. Keep you and yours safe and have fun

19 hours ago, TheInfernoman said:

@DoctaMarioThis is the way 😎

Thanks guys! 😎 We wound up missing the trunk or treat but went to the mall and walked around, saw costumes, went to hibachi (in costume lol) for a friend's birthday, etc and then took him trick or treating around one of the neighborhoods here. My girl dressed up as Rey, had the hair going and everything and it looked really great too. 

I got a prompt from one of the music licensing companies I work with that they need covers of a couple Christmas songs for Hallmark movies so I'm gonna go in today and knock a couple out. The placement I got last year paid pretty nice and it was good to start the year with a little money in the bank. Those movies are beyond cheesy but it's pretty awesome hearing something that two weeks ago was cooking through your speakers playing on tv. 

Just now, Reticently said:

Meh, in the context of the full quote Connery comes off worse.  He wasn't talking about self defense, he was talking about not liking their attitude.

I do not infer his meaning as pertaining to their attitude, but rather the whole package of confrontation being enacted.

I guess he really ought to have spelled it out in no uncertain terms, in every possible version of English, leaving no nuance unturned, so as to not be misconstrued.

He relied on the intelligence and honesty of his audience. That was a mistake.

9 minutes ago, Reticently said:

Meh, in the context of the full quote Connery comes off worse.  He wasn't talking about self defense, he was talking about not liking their attitude.

Tbh I wonder if that attitude was the attitude of a lot of people around him growing up. Apparently he was really poor growing up, worked all kinds of crazy jobs including something involving cleaning caskets, but was also a swimsuit model and Mr.Universe contestant. Dude led an interesting life. 

11 minutes ago, JHDK said:

I do not infer his meaning as pertaining to their attitude, but rather the whole package of confrontation being enacted.

I guess he really ought to have spelled it out in no uncertain terms, in every possible version of English, leaving no nuance unturned, so as to not be misconstrued.

He relied on the intelligence and honesty of his audience. That was a mistake.

4 minutes ago, Reticently said:

Occasionally funny, enough to get a casual follow from me.

I just went there to get the larger Connery quote though.

Oh, I can see that.

Pro tip: Hysterical and blood-minded, basically explicitly state physical aggression.

The whole quote only serves to further exonerate Connery.

EDIT:

I do not mean this as an attack on you, @Reticently

But I am pretty sure you get that. ;)

Edited by JHDK
1 minute ago, JHDK said:

Pro tip: Hysterical and blood-minded, basically explicitly state physical aggression.

I don't get that from the reading at all.  And even with the most literal interpretation of "bloody minded", he still said you have to hit a woman for being a "bitch" in the same sentence.

I mean, I'm not on that posthumous cancel train but that attitude is pretty fucked up, even if Connery hardly invented it.

4 minutes ago, Reticently said:

I don't get that from the reading at all.  And even with the most literal interpretation of "bloody minded", he still said you have to hit a woman for being a "bitch" in the same sentence.

I mean, I'm not on that posthumous cancel train but that attitude is pretty fucked up, even if Connery hardly invented it.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bloody-minded

He said being a bitch in conjunction with the other two terms.

Context is not a matter of convenience shopping.

Edited by JHDK
14 minutes ago, JHDK said:

do not mean this as an attack on you, @Reticently

Nah, it's cool- I don't have to agree with a person to enjoy talking to them!

Anyway, he said being a bitch, OR hysterical, OR bloody minded.  So if you're going to imply cherry picking context you have to look at what he actually said.

5 minutes ago, Genghis_Dong said:

"stubbornly contrary or obstructive"

"inclining towards violence or bloodshed" 

"bitch"

"hysterical"

Yep all sound like great reasons to beat a woman /s

edit: oh wait he warned her first so its ok 

Yo udo realize that being obstructive is legally defined as assault in the U.S. right?

Putting 1+1+1+1+1 together, it is not hard to see that you ought to get 5.

If this were discussing a dude acting like that towards him, y'all would be riding Connery's coat-tails.

Don't  even pretend otherwise.

3 minutes ago, Reticently said:

Nah, it's cool- I don't have to agree with a person to enjoy talking to them!

Anyway, he said being a bitch, OR hysterical, OR bloody minded.  So if you're going to imply cherry picking context you have to look at what he actually said.

Or is still a conjunction. Given the context it is rather easy to see that he is implying that the woman is behaving violently in any circumstance.

It takes a rather unfathomable degree of willful ignorance to not see it.

Edited by JHDK
Just now, Reticently said:

My guy, the legal definition of "obstruction" in US Code of Law is so far from what he was talking about it's like you're lost in the woods.

My dude, look up obstructive.

Connery wasn't approaching the bench when he said that.

Enough with the plastic mobile goal posts.

2 minutes ago, JHDK said:

My dude, look up obstructive.

Connery wasn't approaching the bench when he said that.

Enough with the plastic mobile goal posts.

Look, we're just going to disagree on this.  You're telling me that  "or" means "and", and that "bloody minded" refers to the legal definition of "obstruction".

I have to concede that we're not speaking the same language on this.

Please don't think I'm trying to tell you not to enjoy Connery movies or appropriately use self defense though. Just don't smack anyone for giving you attitude, which it seems to me to be the least convoluted interpretation of what he was talking about.

15 minutes ago, Genghis_Dong said:

You can defend hitting a woman all you want. If thats the side you want to take here then all power to you. I never said anything about cancelling him and I already stated I love the guy. But his comments did not age well.

You are stating that I am defending hitting women.

That is as dishonest an argument as can be made.

It is Logic 101 levels of false.

The goal posts move yet again.

10 minutes ago, Reticently said:

Look, we're just going to disagree on this.  You're telling me that  "or" means "and", and that "bloody minded" refers to the legal definition of "obstruction".

I have to concede that we're not speaking the same language on this.

Please don't think I'm trying to tell you not to enjoy Connery movies or appropriately use self defense though. Just don't smack anyone for giving you attitude, which it seems to me to be the least convoluted interpretation of what he was talking about.

Look, let's face facts that you are unwilling to put the broader context into the situation, and are picking apart specific words in a vacuum, to the death of all coherent meaning in order to justify your assertion that Sean Connery was a woman beater.

That was the original contention.

You asserted that Sean Connery has a checkered past rife with woman beating.

How about you prove it.

Edited by JHDK

https://www.distractify.com/p/sean-connery-abuse

Sean Connery's first wife also accused him of abuse in their marriage.

Diane Cilento, who was once married to the movie star, stated that he first beat her in Almeria, Spain after a day of filming The Hill. He waited for her in their hotel room and hit her repeatedly until she locked herself in the bathroom and he went to sleep without mentioning it to her.

Edited by Sonero
You guys seriously spent 2 pages arguing over stuff you could google.
2 minutes ago, Reticently said:

We got hung up interpreting his word choices, and whether Scotland is part of Great Britain.

Way to deflect.

Address the point.

Prove your claim.

And whilst you are at it, stop the semantic shift fuckery.

British English, is Oxford English is English English.

Your arguments are full-on Sophistry.

39 minutes ago, JHDK said:

Way to deflect.

Address the point.

Prove your claim.

And whilst you are at it, stop the semantic shift fuckery.

British English, is Oxford English is English English.

Your arguments are full-on Sophistry.

You can bust out all the GRE words you want, just makes you seem weirdly heated about the topic.  We've posted now multiple interviews clarifying his position and Cosplayers stepped in with an ex-wife's allegations.

I'm satisfied that the guy had enough baggage that it bears mentioning. If you want to exonerate some perceived besmirching of his legacy to own the feminists or something, more power to ya.

Edited by Reticently
16 hours ago, Scanman said:

Has anyone placed a bet on the US election? Because I'd like to.

If so, where did you place the bet (what company or website)?

I thought about it, but didn't.  I don't trust those online sites.  I'm worried that they'll pull some shady shit the second the election is over. 

10 minutes ago, Volt said:

Why is this even a topic? Dude is dead.

Because Reticently and JHDK are trying to figure out which words really convey under which circumstances he admitted to doing something he tacitly admitted to doing already. Something which his exwife both wrote about in a book and gave interviews about him doing.

So reasons.

🤷‍♂️

ah, I didn't know this one was coming up but they just premiered it recently today...

Sadly for werewolf fans, these 2 characters are the only notable times I can think of in gaming history where you get to play a werewolf....hahaha unless one is willing to count Sonic in that "Unleashed" game when he was one. 

edit--Sabrewulf also has one of my favorite themes of all time, from the original "Killer Cuts" CD

Edited by MillionX