Stage Select

The MEGASHOCK Saloon Thread 3: Chinder Chagger Edition

ooook... MIDNIGHT MASS, folks.  Holy shit this show... this has been GOLD.  I already had high expectations because the same guy Mike Flanagan from the "Haunting" shows is behind this one too...and both "Haunting.." shows are modern-day classics to me...brilliant stuff, actually.  It also has some of the actors from those other shows too....like Katy Siegel's fine little ass.  Yeah I'd pounce that. (well, just looking her up now... she's actually married to Mike Flanagan.)

It's frustrating that I probably shouldn't even hint on what exactly is great about it ---this is one of those things where you have to see the gradual revelation for yourself.  It's quite easy to figure out what's generally the deal before it actually happens but it's still cool.  I'm up to the final episode now, where shit has fully hit the fan, and everything is crazy.  There's one jump scare that was pretty damn awesome around episode 4, I think...when the main character sees a certain thing he wasn't supposed to see.  You see it coming but it STILL will get most people.

random tidbit/easter egg?--- in episode 4, actually... I noticed there was a NES on the shelf in the background!  I think there was a Genesis sitting right next to it.

Edited by MillionX

oooh and I just happened to get Dr. Sleep a few days ago on dvd...I'm definitely looking forward to that now; I got a double-pack of The Shining + Dr. Sleep for just 10 bucks...couldn't resist at that price.  

The Shining has that top honor of being the only movie that ever gave me continued nightmares for quite some time....though part of it was likely because I was a small child when I first saw it.  It's funny that my parents allowed me to watch something like that at a young age.

1 hour ago, MillionX said:

ooook... MIDNIGHT MASS, folks.  Holy shit this show... this has been GOLD.  I already had high expectations because the same guy Mike Flanagan from the "Haunting" shows is behind this one too...and both "Haunting.." shows are modern-day classics to me...brilliant stuff, actually. 

_____

The Shining has that top honor of being the only movie that ever gave me continued nightmares for quite some time....though part of it was likely because I was a small child when I first saw it.  It's funny that my parents allowed me to watch something like that at a young age.

You talking about the Haunting of Hill House? I watched that and really liked it.  I might have to check out this Midnight Mass show.

Shining scared the hell out of me when I first watched it. I was like, 10, and stayed up late and watched it by myself on the sly. Big mistake 😂

Let me know how Dr Sleep is. I've been thinking about rereading the Shining and then reading Dr Sleep before watching it. 

Edited by Chadouken

so now I'm checking out reviews and reactions of course... I think Perri's review is good without spoiling the main situation of the show...

sheeeeittt, what a ride, this show... I'd agree with others saying the pace may be "slow" for a lot of people, but you get to know these characters and the town that much better as a result, I still loved every minute of this.  

The "small town atmosphere" is something that has always been kinda interesting to me, since of course that was not my experience growing up in normal "big city life"... so I've always wondered what that would've been like (*though overall I still prefer being a "city boy" as my fellow southerners would say).  Actually, the only time I've even visited a small-town area was for a friend/co-worker's wedding in a very "middle of nowhere" area of TN.  but yeah....when "everyone" shows up to church in that show there it's like what... 20-something people sitting in the congregation?  My old church was oddly enough similar to this though since it was about as small as someone's house... our congregation was basically just people from 3 or 4 families, so everyone knew each other.

Edited by MillionX
3 hours ago, Reticently said:

Australia throwing its hat back in the ring for title of craziest English speaking country?

k

I need whoever is in charge of this to go on TV and explain why 2/3 of Australia being like this makes logical sense...and they need to have a Q+A section that they can't run from and they have to answer every question until this person either comes to the conclusion that this is Dumb AF or they somehow make it make enough sense that people stop asking questions/challenging this stupidity.

Edited by Sonichuman

Wingstop is better than Buffalo Wild wings by a huge margin but is probably inferior to a local wing shop if you have one in your area.  But I really dislike Buffalo Wild Wings in general as a restaurant so that might just be my own bias.  The Atomic Wings at Wingstop are seriously hot and are not a joke.  I like Garlic Parmesian or Mango Habanero the best personally.

Edited by J-ride
49 minutes ago, DangerousJ said:

Has anyone here ever eaten at Wingstop?

Yes.

49 minutes ago, DangerousJ said:

Did you like the wings compared to other places?

I don't care for chicken wings, so I get the tenders. They are pretty good. However it's been a while since I have been to the one not to far from the house as the customer service is ass. You get more of what you pay for, so I'm good. 

Edited by OPTIMUS124
1 minute ago, KingTubb said:

You buy memes for like a million dollars so you can say it's yours. 

It stands for "Nobody Fucking Thinks" 

Except it’s also not yours because someone can just buy the ownership from you without you even knowing. 

Also they’re insanely bad for the environment. 

NFT “artists” can get fucked. 

on a positive note: I’m baking banana bread for a friend because she’s been having a really bad week. My entire house smells like said bread and it’s paradise. Pictures soon 

Edited by iStu X
9 minutes ago, iStu X said:

Also they’re insanely bad for the environment. 

One of my wife's friend's husband cornered me and talked at me about NFTs and crypto for a couple hours once and I swear to god he was giddy about how much energy it uses and how bad it is for the environment. His explanation was that they cost so much energy and money to get and that makes them more valuable. 

I think it goes without saying, but I don't like this guy very much 

Edited by KingTubb

So it's basically a speculative asset? You buy a fucking meme or some shit for a retarded price in the hopes that you can sell it for an even more retarded price?

That's fucking retarded.

Edit: I don't get the energy thing though.  How does it waste electricity?

Edited by Chadouken

Another one of those finds due to the algorithm. 

Interested to see how far this channel will go. The basis is about how certain industries impact the climate. I checked out a couple of the other videos and have a similar format. 

This was also a pretty solid one as well about how the Carbon Footprint is just a marketing term. 

Edited by OPTIMUS124
25 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

Edit: I don't get the energy thing though.  How does it waste electricity?

Because "owning" an NFT isn't just having a copy stored somewhere for you- your copy exists as an element of a blockchain (a type of distributed program running on thousands and thousands of computers).  Think of it like BitTorrent, except all the computers already have a copy, and keep talking to each other about how they agree that you are definitely the owner of the thing.

43 minutes ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

Another one of those finds due to the algorithm. 

Fast fashion is wack. 

People look at me like I'm insane when I tell them that my jeans cost me $200, but I look at it like this:

1.) I bought the jeans over 3 years ago and they're the only pair of jeans that I have

2.) I wear them all the time, and since they were raw unwashed denim when I got them, they've worn and faded into some amazing looking jeans

3.) the company will repair them FOR FREE as long as it isn't catastrophic damage.

When you consider that a pair of Levi's on sale are going for $40 and would last me about 2-3 months if I wore them the same way, I've saved hundreds of dollars on pants over the last three years.  

50 minutes ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

Interested to see how far this channel will go. The basis is about how certain industries impact the climate. I checked out a couple of the other videos and have a similar format. 

Way to make me feel bad about just recently donating 2 boxes of clothes and essentially buying a new wardrobe cause of all my weight loss bro. 

LOVE YOU TOO BRO 

Edited by iStu X
7 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

Fast fashion is wack. 

People look at me like I'm insane when I tell them that my jeans cost me $200, but I look at it like this:

1.) I bought the jeans over 3 years ago and they're the only pair of jeans that I have

2.) I wear them all the time, and since they were raw unwashed denim when I got them, they've worn and faded into some amazing looking jeans

3.) the company will repair them FOR FREE as long as it isn't catastrophic damage.

When you consider that a pair of Levi's on sale are going for $40 and would last me about 2-3 months if I wore them the same way, I've saved hundreds of dollars on pants over the last three years.  

Its more expensive to be poor

30 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

Fast fashion is wack. 

What exactly are you doing with your jeans? I have Levi's going back some 20 years. 

man, I forgot how old my current jeans are... but I got them for around 11 or 12 bucks from either Walmart or Target...probably Walmart.  They're probably 4 or 5 years old at this point at least.  One thing that may help their longevity is that in the pre-pandemic era I only really wore them in situations outside of work, of course. (for a long time we didn't have "casual Fridays" anymore)...so just nights or weekends, or when visiting family/friends.  Before this pair, the previous ones were maybe 10 bucks and they lasted some years too.  I'm living the cheapskate dream here, folks. 

on another note...I enjoy this channel

The only time my jeans wore out was when I went to Chicago. I used public transport (buses mostly) but I walked around so much - for sightseeing, to meet people, to get to clinic etc. There were two  holes near inner thighs near the end of my time there.

Most of the time here in FL I wear shorts and I walk around a lot less compared to Chicago so i never had it happen to me here.

I usually get Old Navy jeans for $20-30 and they usually last between 7-8 years.

Edited by DangerousJ

Most of my jeans tend to last forever unless I wear em to work or they're made of some ultra shoddy material. My preference are those jeans with the little stretchy, elastic type material, they usually cost a bit more but are so worth it for the comfort. Even the cheap brands of those feel good . Kinda wish it was standard on all jeans

Edited by HD-Man
1 hour ago, KingTubb said:

Living, baby!

Honestly, I just got big thighs that rub, so I get crotch blowouts in levi's more often than not. 

I walk a ton, I'm at least 10,000 steps a day. 

I used to have that problem when I would squat heavy and really built up my legs and butt (butt is probably more from lunges and good mornings, regardless, it still got too big and hard). The Levi's or whatever Athletic jeans helped a bit. But nothing really fits too well. Except pajamas and workout shorts. 

You ever notice how in really old fiction and pictures the men are usually in tights and skirts? I wonder if that's because since historically most men had to labor that was just found to be the most ideal clothing for that. I have a huge bone to pick with Western clothing in general. I've worn clothing of different cultures and they are all so, so, so much more comfortable. Practically everyone else wears robes and loose fitting clothing that you can really move around in, sleep in, do practically everything in. 

Women typically have bigger butts and hips so skirts are more practical even now and many athletic women ironically tend to prefer those in regular wear and skimpier stuff for athletic wear.