Stage Select

The MEGASHOCK Saloon Thread 3: Chinder Chagger Edition

1 hour ago, AriesWarlock said:

'Babylon 5' is getting a reboot

Best of all, series creator J. Michael Straczynski is attached to the project.

9da38670-1fc9-11ec-adf8-dd0fc886b50a.cf.

Some 23 years after its original run, Babylon 5 is making its way back to TV. According to Variety, The CW has ordered a reboot of the seminal sci-fi series. What’s more, original creator J. Michael Straczynski is attached to the project.

That’s good news because Straczynski penned 92 of the 110 episodes that make up Babylon 5. At the moment, there are relatively few details on the production, but what we do know is that it’s being billed as a “from-the-ground-up reboot.” None of the original actors from the series, including Bruce Boxleitner, are currently attached to the project, but that may change. With its sometimes dated visuals, it can be hard to see what makes Babylon 5 so special. However, in many ways, it was ahead of its time. It told a serialized story long before shows like The Wire popularized the format.

I hope they don't fuck it up man. Star Trek was always my favorite, going back to when my dad and I watched it as a kid. It's in tatters now. While I wasn't as into Babylon 5, I really enjoyed it though. It was the first I remember watching where "no one was safe". If Babylon 5 said someone was going to leave or die. It wasn't some random person it was an integral cast member. I always wanted a Star Trek show in that vain.

uh oh... right when I saw CW I knew to drop my expectations wayyy low.  We know what CW showrunners tend to do these days....and with all the subtlety of a live grenade, since to those people...that agenda is far more important than silly little things like good characters and story.  There's times when I feel a bit relieved that their "The Lost Boys" show never made it to air.   It would've been a heartbreaker to see what they did to that.

Kill Me Smh GIF

1 hour ago, Serpent said:

I don't know how many hours of sleep I got last night, but it's more than the usual 0-5. I feel so much better. If only I could get 8+ hours of sleep a night for a month straight. 

Set a sleep schedule (Try to go to bed and wake up at the same time)

Exercise 5-6 hours before bedtime

Avoid caffeine (coffee/soda) after 5 pm.

Minimize looking at smartphone while in bed.(It has blue light that causes melatonin to produced less. Melatonin is repsonsible for sleep schedule)

3 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I hope they don't fuck it up man. Star Trek was always my favorite, going back to when my dad and I watched it as a kid. It's in tatters now. While I wasn't as into Babylon 5, I really enjoyed it though. It was the first I remember watching where "no one was safe". If Babylon 5 said someone was going to leave or die. It wasn't some random person it was an integral cast member. I always wanted a Star Trek show in that vain.

Sadly, I'm not optimistic.  Babylon 5 the show was great.  All but one of the movies and all of the spinoffs were not great.  Fans like to blame it on the network[s], but . . . .

Also, later work leaned way too heavily on technomages fixing everything.

I'm reasonably hyped for Babylon 5.  Honestly I'd just be happy if the redid the PS1 era cgi that the show relied on and just rereleased the original series.  The storyline, writing and character arcs from that show were SOLID.  The author had intended all of the plot points from the beginning so the way ideas teased early in the series tie together later on was really well thought out.  

5 hours ago, Maxx said:

May have to burn down Twitter over this 

spacer.png

Yeahhhh...I took a peak at how this was going a couple weeks ago.  Considering this is all general public voting I can't say I'm surprised GTAV is a finalist.  I'm not happy about it but I'm not surprised by it.  I'm more surprised that God of War 2018 ended up being a finalist.  Great, Amazing game?  Absolutely.  Finalist for best video game of all time?  Uh...no.  And looking at the games it was up against I feel it was getting hit with mostly soft balls on the way to the top.  And like Lantis mentioned earlier, I'm sure there's a ton of upsets in this bracket that will make older gamers have a headache.  I'm pretty sure some games that have been getting taken out first round is due to most of us  (older gamers) not making up the majority of the gaming population and the newer gamers just not playing or having much access to the older games.  Chrono Trigger deserved better.

49 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

It makes my top 5 😬

Edit: Honestly, it wins that side of the bracket for me. The other side is STACKED tho

I know everything is subjective but when I think of Best Game of All Time lists I'm thinking of games that are masters in their genre like usually when some asks 'what is a good game to play in this genre?' usually it comes up within the first 5 responses and then even more so if the game has had a major impact or influence on the industry.   God of War 2018 def deserves to be ona greatest of all time list but I'm having trouble placing it too high do to my 2nd criteria.  If it somehow manages to topple GTAV I'll be impressed.

It seems more accurate to go by category, imo... like it's odd for me to imagine what's better between a fighting game, shootemup, and an action-rpg; 3 genres I enjoy but are quite different.  

"Overall" there are the usual suspects I've mentioned countless times before that always come to mind for me---Bayonetta, Actraiser, Kingdoms of Amalur, Soul Sacrifice Delta, Dragon's Crown, Dead Cells, Diablo franchise, Gears of War franchise (perhaps 2 and 3 if I were to be specific there), Saint's Row franchise and Prototype....I'd say Borderlands 2 and Bioshock are worthy of mention in this category of "greats" as well.  Ah, and Viewtiful Joe.  Another I'm in the minority on---Vampyr, another one that gave vampire/supernatural fans exactly what we've wanted for a long time in gaming form.

There's also Skyrim....which is forever a controversial pick for me... since the technical problems hold it back from being even more legendary than it is.  If that game could only be as solid performance-wise as any of the others I just mentioned that have that "Legend" status for me... it would truly be an absolute top rank contender.  It was such a fun time in terms of exploring that world, and going on your own adventures, making the main character what you want it to be....and as you guys know, it being one of the only games to let me live out some vampire power fantasies; that was a huge selling point right there.  I had a werewolf character too, but more good times were had with my vamp characters, especially once the Dawnguard DLC was out.

Edited by MillionX

I'm at the bank right now, some woman that just came in was kinda rude. She asked for some checks to be deposited. She didn't have the total amount, seemed kinda bothered she had to sum up the checks amounts herself.

For some reason, maybe some fee, she wouldn't receive like 30 cents. And she was like "I don't care." As she was walking out, she didn't even thanked or said bye to the teller she said "I'm not gonna die for 30 cents, you can't even buy a piece of dung with that". And left feeling indignant

🤨🤨🤨

oh yeah, I was a big fan of Wizard magazine back in the day... the Toy Galaxy guy finally covered this one in a vid

I loved their regular "Mort of the Month" section, which highlighted especially goofy/lame characters.  

My favorite was the hypothetical vs. battle section... and there was a great "Top 10 Most Powerful" list they did...I still have that issue; it was definitely accurate at the time, imo... they had Silver Surfer ranked at #1....the list had all the usual ones you'd expect on a list of "OP" characters---Hulk, Thor, Spawn, Wonder Woman, etc.

1 hour ago, AriesWarlock said:

I'm at the bank right now, some woman that just came in was kinda rude. She asked for some checks to be deposited. She didn't have the total amount, seemed kinda bothered she had to sum up the checks amounts herself.

For some reason, maybe some fee, she wouldn't receive like 30 cents. And she was like "I don't care." As she was walking out, she didn't even thanked or said bye to the teller she said "I'm not gonna die for 30 cents, you can't even buy a piece of dung with that". And left feeling indignant

🤨🤨🤨

This shit is why people are quitting the service industry right now.

What I always found odd is that a lot of people are aggressive dicks, and when other people are even trying to be diplomatic and diffuse stuff, they pretty much spit in their faces and just up the aggression. Then when people don't like them they surprised pikachu face and legit seem unable to handle that. A lot of times the assholes band together and kind of emotionally support each other, but all that does is isolate them into a small group that most people want nothing to do with. Then they usually of course start attacking each other, while running back to each other for said emotional support because nobody else wants anything to do with them.

It's just such an interesting dynamic I guess. It used to annoy me so damn much growing up, because of course as Schopenhauer says scoundrels are the most sociable. It takes time to see and understand it's not worth engaging and the better social circles are all very exclusionary and hidden. Whatever our mainstream culture is, it's fairly toxic and kind of ropes in what is really a lower, less desirable class of people. What you'd think is normal behavior just keeping up with social media or mainstream media in general, none of it is acceptable in "polite society". But there is this big cognitive dissonance about that, and it feels intentionally done to keep the majority in this type of ignorant and lesser state. Or perhaps it's not even truly intentional, and it's human nature, since Plato's Cave allegory pretty much describes it too. 

heh, sheeeeitttt, yeah college years are a golden age.... well, not for the current generations though, of course.  Gen-X and the older end of Millenials may be the last generations of people that actually had fun in their undergrad years, without fear of "cancellation" or some unbelievably intolerant chump protesting in your face because of their little childish safe-space ass feelings.

There's some other juicy "missing person" story I noticed a little while ago on cable news... the girl is missing, and the person of interest was found dead.  It should be interesting to see how that one ends up.... and they STILL haven't found Laundrie yet apparently?!

...sure would be nice if I had time to play some more Actraiser... I have so much nonsense to do at work, there's no possible way to get it done in a normal shift.  This is the reason I've been exhausted and violently angry for quite some time now.