Stage Select

The MEGASHOCK Saloon Thread 3: Chinder Chagger Edition

The only reason I knew fb was down is my best friend and I 99.9% of the time talk through Messenger. So when neither of us could message each other she texted me with a screen shot of a bunch of unsent texts she’s been trying to send me throughout the day. I did so in kind. 

so now we’re talking through phone texts and it feels off. Lol

Lmfao I'm on Twitter alot of the times so today was fine. My boy had actually set up our group chat on their two weeks ago. 

I realized the healthiest meal I eat weekly besides breakfast is a post training Mexican bowl meal. It's big enough that it lasts 3 training sessions but I cook steak to add more protein into it. 

I'd be ok with FB disappearing forever.  It was unfortunate that instagram was inaccessible though... I get SO many hot as pics from there now....it's a good source of hot "material" on a daily basis.  

Really, what does FB even bring to the table anymore?  You certainly can't get away with any kind of real free-thinking commentary there.  Humans in general aren't anything even close to being open-minded so fuck that.  It's a glorified birthday-reminder to me at this point.

Remember those days when people played "Words with Friends" on there?  That was a fun thing at least...then suddenly everyone decided to just stop playing that for some reason.

edit--found some early morning jams, streaming live right now

Edited by MillionX

To elaborate slightly more, the whistle-blower says the Facebook algorithm intentionally puts out misinformation and articles that cause unrest, anger, hatred and every negative emotion you can think of because that creates more traffic on the site, which makes ppl more likely to click ads which makes them monrley. I FULLY believe this 

I know they'll probably never shut down social media, and I'll admit I enjoy it too but some type of social media break like this needs to occur on a weekly basis, like for DAYS at a time. Ppl were a hell of a lot more productive when shit crashed and less drama

Edited by HD-Man
1 minute ago, HD-Man said:

Facebook algorithm intentionally puts out misinformation and articles that cause unrest, anger, hatred and every negative emotion you can think of because that creates more traffic on the site, which makes ppl more likely to click ads which makes them monrley

Yeah, Jaron was talking this shit back in 2018, almost word for word. 

The thing I look at differently now is how much of my data and information social media and websites steal.

For example, when youtube gives me one of the survey ads instead of the normal ads, my thought used to be "Oh this is fun" now my thought is:

Steve Harvey Reaction GIF by Super Deluxe

16 hours ago, HD-Man said:

Social media needs to crash more often, mfers (myself included) were actually productive today. Plus it was great seeing ppl lose their shit not being able to log on and fight to stay relevant. I'm willing to bet some mfers was gonna commit suicide if FB and IG stayed down til tommorow 😂

I have a buddy who quit social media for a month and he said he was amazed at how much more free time he had. I don't really do Facebook or Instagram much unless I have something to promote, but social media feels like a job or an obligation to me these days. 

That said, there's a lot of stuff I don't find out about until later if someone tells me about it. I had a buddy that passed away last year and I didn't know about it until another friend texted me. So it's a double edged sword I guess. 

2 hours ago, KingTubb said:

Yeah, Jaron was talking this shit back in 2018, almost word for word. 

The thing I look at differently now is how much of my data and information social media and websites steal.

For example, when youtube gives me one of the survey ads instead of the normal ads, my thought used to be "Oh this is fun" now my thought is:

Steve Harvey Reaction GIF by Super Deluxe

Jaron Lanier is the shit. Listening to his stuff went a long way to convince me that social media is the devil.  One thing they helps if you are going to use it is the use the web clients vs the apps. You give up a lot of data because Facebook apps especially will grab info from other apps on your device. 

23 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

Jaron Lanier is the shit. Listening to his stuff went a long way to convince me that social media is the devil.  One thing they helps if you are going to use it is the use the web clients vs the apps. You give up a lot of data because Facebook apps especially will grab info from other apps on your device. 

And then you have people who thinks a vaccine contains a microchip that traces all your activities and controls your mind. 😂

The Pandora Papers is a leak of almost 12 million documents that reveals hidden wealth, tax avoidance and, in some cases, money laundering by some of the world's rich and powerful.

More than 600 journalists in 117 countries have been trawling through the files from 14 sources for months, finding stories that are being published this week.

The data was obtained by the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists (ICIJ) in Washington DC, which has been working with more than 140 media organisations on its biggest ever global investigation.

BBC Panorama and the Guardian have led the investigation in the UK.

What has been uncovered?

The Pandora Papers leak includes 6.4 million documents, almost three million images, more than a million emails and almost half-a-million spreadsheets.

Stories revealed so far include:

The files expose how some of the most powerful people in the world - including more than 330 politicians from 90 countries - use secret offshore companies to hide their wealth.

Lakshmi Kumar from US think-tank Global Financial Integrity explained that these people "are able to funnel and siphon money away and hide it," often through the use of anonymous companies.

_120799756_pp_how_big_v3_2x640-nc.png

What do we mean by 'offshore'?

The Pandora Papers reveal complex networks of companies that are set up across borders, often resulting in hidden ownership of money and assets.

For example, someone may have a property in the UK, but own it via a chain of companies based in other countries, or "offshore".

These offshore countries or territories are where:

• it's easy to set up companies
  • there are laws that make it difficult to identify owners of companies
  • there is low or no corporation tax

The destinations are often called tax havens or secrecy jurisdictions. There is no definitive list of tax havens, but the most well known destinations include British Overseas Territories such as the Cayman Islands and the British Virgin Islands, as well as countries such as Switzerland and Singapore.

Is it illegal to use a tax haven?

Loopholes in the law allow people to legally avoid paying some taxes by moving their money or setting up companies in tax havens, but it is often seen as unethical. The UK government says tax avoidance "involves operating within the letter, but not the spirit, of the law".

There are also a number of legitimate reasons people may want to hold money and assets in different countries, such as protection from criminal attacks or guarding against unstable governments.

Although having secretive offshore assets is not illegal, using a complex network of secret companies to move around money and assets is the perfect way to hide the proceeds of criminality.

There have been repeated calls for politicians to make it harder to avoid tax or hide assets, particularly following previous leaks such as the Panama Papers.

But Mr Ryle said the Pandora Papers show that "the people that could end the secrecy offshore… are themselves benefiting from it. So there's no incentive for them to end it".

List of people named in the Pandora Papers

Spoiler

Heads of state

Former heads of state

Heads of government

Former heads of government

Heads of organizations

Ministers

Bankers

Media

Legislators

Politicians

Royalty

Businesspeople

Other

Organisations

some stand out names

Tony Blair, former Prime Minister of the United Kingdom

Ángel Di María, Argentine football player

Elton John, British singer

Ringo Starr, British drummer and former member of The Beatles

Claudia Schiffer, German model

Julio Iglesias, Spanish singer

Shakira, Colombian singer

Mario Vargas Llosa, Peruvian-Spanish Nobel Prize in Literature laureate

Apple Inc., American technology company

Nike, American clothing company

RJR Nabisco, American tobacco manufacturer

Edited by AriesWarlock
26 minutes ago, Lantis said:

And then you have people who thinks a vaccine contains a microchip that traces all your activities and controls your mind. 😂

Those are my favorite people. Like if the government had that level of tech... The fuck they need a vaccine for? Bitch they gonna put that in our mind controlling town water. Wait... Def not in the phones 99.9% of every American carrying... Wait Def wouldn't put it..... Lmfao

3 hours ago, Reticently said:

The Pandora Papers are super interesting, but the real lesson is about how the ultra rich make sure that the shady, underhanded shit they exploit the system with stays technically legal, to the detriment of us working plebs who don't make enough money to be able to dodge taxes 🙃

The wild thing to me was that several of the world leaders were publicly talking about "the rich need to pay their fair share" "You shouldn't be ashamed to be rich, but you should be ashamed for not paying your taxes" etc and here they are on this list. If there was ever any proof that there's a tierlist in the world based on wealth, this is it. If you don't know how or why they're doing these things

spacer.png

ah, the lovely Amanda the Jedi also did a review of Midnight Mass----naturally if you haven't seen this series yet and would rather be surprised, I'd say it's best to avoid this and any other review until you've seen it already... I think *most* shows are best experienced without any prior knowledge going in, imo...

2 minutes ago, MillionX said:

ah, the lovely Amanda the Jedi also did a review of Midnight Mass----naturally if you haven't seen this series yet and would rather be surprised, I'd say it's best to avoid this and any other review until you've seen it already... I think *most* shows are best experienced without any prior knowledge going in, imo...

You keep raving about that show, but is it worth it if I had no interest in it as is and generally don't like horror?

eh, probably not... since horror is absolutely what you get here.  It's not as generally "disturbing" as either of the Haunting shows though.... I'd say those 2 would be definite nightmare fuel for most people.  It seems like Flanagan's usual thing to spend quite a bit of time setting up the characters and setting to make the audience care that much more about them....here it's like you really get into the head of these people and this place that's such a "small town" that literally everyone there has known each other all or most of their lives.  The main guy in Midnight Mass---the show starts off right away at the scene of this vehicle accident he caused as a drunk driver...so that unending guilt of his screw-up causing the death of another person naturally hangs over him, basically haunting him forever. 

I noticed that same deep exploration of the characters from the Haunting shows... I enjoyed all those characters and how screwed up they were.... Hill House especially---that's a whole family of people that's quite a mess, psychologically speaking....none of them are really "ok"...and it's so fascinating to me.  I have that one on dvd or blu-ray but I never saw a dvd/blu-ray of Bly Manor... I may have to just order that online, I guess.  

...and look at that incredible intro (Bly Manor)...even the intro itself is a masterpiece (and it's interesting that the visual here suddenly means something once you get past a certain point in the show):

Edited by MillionX
45 minutes ago, HD-Man said:

Remind me not tell my family when my off time is. They seem to think my personal free time is dedicated to doing favors for them.  See now I'm finna start lyin 😂

oh yes... this right here is yet another example ---lying just makes life easier.  There's people I know that assume I never take time off....but really I just make sure they are never aware of it....at best, people like that are allowed to know after the fact ---like "oh yeah...I had some days off back in March, mainly to do ____ though.."...and it would be several months later when ya tell them this.  My time off is exactly that... it's mine. 

20 hours ago, Scanman said:

I'm 30 now.

I had 4 drinks last night and woke up feeling like death.

Tolerance goes away damn fast as people age. Or at least as I age.

Yup.  that shitI used to pull in my 20s didn't float when the big 3-0 hit me.  it's like running through an old 2D shooter all powered up and then suddenly you lose everything but  the basic gun but you're still stuck on the harder stage.  Well, just take it easy from now on. It's gonna be like that from now on I'm afraid.

30 minutes ago, Deadly_Raver said:

Yup.  that shitI used to pull in my 20s didn't float when the big 3-0 hit me.  it's like running through an old 2D shooter all powered up and then suddenly you lose everything but  the basic gun but you're still stuck on the harder stage.  Well, just take it easy from now on. It's gonna be like that from now on I'm afraid.

Drinking's like working out tho. If you go hard only a couple times a year, then yeah, you will hurt yourself