Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread: Now Featuring Animated Avatars

8 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

The magazines I would read would always describe Zelda as an RPG because you visited towns and talked to NPCs. It never resonated with me as I play games that did one or both of those and I wouldn't call them RPGs.

God yes. I remember this too. It drove me nuts since I grew up playing then Dragon Quest series. You know, an actual RPG. 

Edited by iStu X
24 minutes ago, M A R T I A N said:

I seem to remember "Adventure" games being synonymous with "point and click" games, once upon a time 

Not sure whether or not I'm making that up 🤔

An adventure game is a game that focuses on exploring the world, seeing the options and discovering things as you progress, sometimes allowing you to find new areas to discover as you grow your skill set. Point and click did that and Metroid games do that (with more emphasis on action depending on the game). 

Zelda to me was always adventure with elements of other genres depending on the game. 

NPD October 2020

https://venturebeat.com/2020/11/13/october-2020-npd-nintendo-and-fifa-power-gamings-growth/

Nintendo was no.1 again and EA Sports titles take over top spots on the chart last month.  This may be the last time we see switch top the charts for at least a few months...Probably won't show back up until maybe March if that depending upon whatever Ninty has coming for next year.  Watch Dogs also managed to make top 3 and Mario Kart Live managed to crack top 5.

Top 20 Oct:  FIFA 21, Dat Madden 21, Watch Dogs: Legion, NHL 21, Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit, Super Mario 3D All-Stars, Animal Crossing: NH, Star Wars: Squadrons, CoD: MW, Crash 4, MK8D, GoTsu, NBA 2K21, Marvels Avengers (13 spot drop), Smash Ult, Ring Fit Adventure, LoZ: BotW, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2, Super Mario Party, NSMBUD

Best Selling games of 2020 so far: CoD: MW, Animal Crossing: NH, Dat Madden 21, LoU II, GoTsu, FF7R, Marvel's Avengers, Super Mario 3D All-Stars, MK8D (Jesus...I thought we might get MK9 this generation but why even bother at this point? I feel like they're probably gonna skip to the next generation at this point), DBZ: Kakarot

Best selling games of the last 12 months: CoD: MW, SWJ:FO, Animal Crossing: NH, Dat Madden 21, LoU II, Dat Madden 20, GoTsu, Pokemon: Sw, MK8D, FF7R

Top 10 Switch: Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit (For real?  I didn't think it's take over the whole damn chart for Ninty but ok), Super Mario 3D All-Stars, Animal Crossing: NH, MK8D, Smash Ultimate, Ring Fit Adventure, LoZ:BotW, Super Mario Party, NSMBUD, Pikmin 3 (I've been hearing Pikmin 3 hasn't been selling as well as they expected...hope that doesn't change anything for Pikmin 4)

Top 10 PS4: FIFA 21, Dat Madden 21, Watch Dogs: Legion, GoTsu, NHL 21, Crash 4, CoD:MW, Star Wars: Squadrons, NBA 2K21, Marvel's Avengers

Top 10 Xbone: FIFA 21, Watch Dogs: Legion, Dat Madden 21, NHL 21, Star Wars: Squadrons, CoD: MW, Crash 4, NBA 2K21, Marvel's Avengers, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2.

aha, more info on "Operation 5" that's about to drop for Gears...NEW PVE classes?!?!  They're putting even more into this than I thought...

edit---ah, and it's  as I figured with "Jack"...they are indeed just going to leave him attached to that role.  I was expecting that since it would be quite strange and probably difficult to figure out programming and balance-wise to have Jack be anything else than what it is currently.

*edit 2---and ohhhh yes... the Scorcher weapon FINALLY has returned to us! 

Edited by MillionX

So yesterday I completed a playthrough of GTA3 for the first time. Did a total of 61 of 73 missions, although I usually don't bother with "collectibles" like unique jumps, hidden packages and the like.

Despite obviously being a massive step for the franchise and open world games in general, 3 is...kinda rough. I found its mission design to be somewhat basic and less interesting compared to 2, controls don't feel all that smooth, completing missions gives you so much money you're probably never gonna run out of cash for weapon restock, cars tend to slide a lot and barely have HP, and it's very annoying how I failed several missions just because I happened to be driving through a gang controlled district since there's no "karma"/respect system like 2 meaning all of them will attack you on sight. Mafia is equipped with shotguns which more often than not will basically oneshot your car, and of course the "story" is more like a checkbox here

It's kind of incredible how much of an improvement Vice City is from 3 - character and cars controls are more snappy, soundtrack is miles ahead, mission design is much more varied, there's an actual ongoing narrative, polygon counts are higher across the board, the city and the game as a whole is beautiful, there's an actual map in the Pause menu, there are many more markers on the map (most importantly for ammunation and paynspray), and travelling across Vice City is easier too since there aren't any tunnels so the entire map is on sort of "same height/level" if that makes sense

PS5 Early Adopter Comments- 

Looks like the console has some database issues with Spider-man when you are resuming from power off. I just saw an update came through last night for the game so this may correct the issue. Didn't read the patch notes to see what it was, but the version number didn't cycle up much higher. 

I also had a problem transferring game data over. The hard drive I used likely had errors on it coming from the PS4 since it''s been rebuilt a countless number of times. This only applies to game data and not saves (which transferred fine). 

Honestly these are relatively minor and appear to be software related. 

Edited by OPTIMUS124
3 hours ago, PVL_93_RU said:

So yesterday I completed a playthrough of GTA3 for the first time. Did a total of 61 of 73 missions, although I usually don't bother with "collectibles" like unique jumps, hidden packages and the like.

GTA3 is definitely rough in places but it's the game that allowed RockStar to make Vice City. I've never been huge into the GTA games even though I have several hours in 3, VC, and LCS, but AI don't really remember any game allowing the degree of freedom that 3 did that was that popular. 

I also prefer the player character in those games not really speaking or having any kind of backstory because much like the Soulsborne games, it allows you to determine the morality of the character with your actions rather than having it fed to you through the narrative. 

Just got hit with a @ Everyone ping on the Resident Evil server regarding a data breach on Capcom's servers. No player data was stolen, but Capcom personnel and shareholder info was. We might get some leaks regarding upcoming games, so keep an eye open for that (Or make sure to stay off Youtube for a while if you don't wanna see them.)

Spoiler

Capcom leak huh..so...

is SF6 real?

Whens mahvel?

How are Darkstalkers doing?

Will there be a Dead Rising 5 or Lost Planet 4?

Will we hear about that Residen Evil 4 remake soon?

Are they remaking DMC1 to celebrate the franchise's 20th anniversary next year?

MegaMan 12 anyone?

I HAVE SO MANY QUESTIONS

Metroidvania-style action game The Spirit of the Samurai announced for PC

Kickstarter campaign seeking $35,555 in funding.

• About

The Spirit of the Samurai is a Metroidvania-style game with a unique style and environment, in which you will be a samurai, a cat, and a kodama. With a spectacular design and animations, taking care of every detail, we offer you the possibility of immersing yourself in a great adventure, with a great story told as if it were a movie in which you are the protagonist.

Explore a dark and beautiful world set in medieval Japan and its ancient mythology, fight against mythological creatures, demons, undeads… Join a samurai and his cat on an epic and dangerous adventure to recover his body and destroy the evil.

• Gameplay

The Spirit of the Samurai is a Metroidvania with a deep exploration style gameplay with non-linear levels. While you travel around the giant map, every single spot counts, as you can discover new items, new secret areas, particular puzzles to solve and unique enemies.

One of the main features of the game is the possibility of playing with three characters in very different ways throughout the adventure, such as a Samurai, a Kodama and a cat.

Each character has different characteristics from the other. Only with the combination of all of them can we succeed.

Kitsune will guide us through the journey, show us how to continue and help us in many ways. He is a fundamental piece in this story.

With stunning visuals, different abilities, combos and special attacks, The Spirit of the Samurai provides highly agile control and deep, smooth action combat. You can switch between a variety of powers where each of them has different stats and you can evolve each power throughout the game. You can upgrade your character’s basic skills by leveling up strength, stamina, or agility. Every choice counts.

1. Combat System – We have worked hard to get a fast, smooth and intense action combat. More satisfying than usual in Metroidvania-style games. You have numerous combos that you can combine between them.
  2. Kill Cams – During combat the fatal blows will be shown from another more visual and spectacular perspective through high end quality cinematics that will not affect the fluidity of the gameplay.
  3. Special Powers. – You can get special powers to deal extra damage to enemies and bosses. You must unlock and evolve these powers along the game. These powers at full strength can be terribly destructive.
  4. Enemies and AI – Each enemy behaves differently. Most of them have an unpredictable behavior, they have been equipped with an AI that makes each game different and difficult, very difficult. It can be challenging to beat them successfully.
  5. Character Evolution – The characters will evolve each time you level up, you can increase their abilities and in the case of the Kodama, their powers as well. To increase the level you must defeat enemies, get objects, unlock secondary objectives…
3 hours ago, PVL_93_RU said:

Are they remaking DMC1 to celebrate the franchise's 20th anniversary next year?

Man I hope not. They'd fuck it up.  Probably mess it up listening to the community or some shit. 

If they remake DMC1 they need do only two things. Upgrade the graphics and add in some more costumes from across the series (Like his 2, 3, 4 and 5 looks, and DMC1 without coat look from 3 would all be dope).

Otherwise DON'T TOUCH SHIT!!!!

Edited by RSG3
7 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

If they remake DMC1 they need do only two things. Upgrade the graphics and add in some more costumes from across the series

I'm kinda afraid of them touching graphics now since they'd use RE Engine again and DMC5 is bland as fuck with incredibly boring level design, they'd completely strip the game of color and its creepy Resident Evil-ish atmosphere, as well as make Trish ugly, again just like in DMC5

As far as gameplay goes I'd only like a minor speed up for the combat/animations and tone down the whirly shit when you switch weapons, give us the QOL update from later games where you can just toggle between devil arms using L2 and R2, be it a limit of two at a time or cycling through everything like in 4

Also add a Trish mode like the secret unlockable in DMC2

But really though I'd rather Capcom just remake DMC2 and do that game justice. The original has a solid foundation, it just needed faster gameplay, weapon upgrades to actually mean anything, and more interesting boss encounters where guns don't just do the job for you

17 minutes ago, PVL_93_RU said:

'Im kinda afraid of them touching graphics now since they'd use RE Engine again and DMC5 is bland as fuck with incredibly boring level design, they'd completely strip the game of color and its creepy Resident Evil-ish atmosphere, as well as make Trish ugly, again just like in DMC5

All of this has to do with art design and level design which have little to do with the engine. 

With that out the way the look and level design of 5 is the best it's been since 1 imo. Train Ni Gru gets pretty boring really fast, I think its funny people complain about the Tree but don't say anything about 3 being 3 colors, brown, grey, and really dark blue 95% of the time in a tower they make you run up and down 4 times.

DMC4 has really vibrant colors but its locals are steril, lack character of any kind, and have the worst level design since DMC2. The fact you have to hit the red orb caches in every stage every time to get an S compounds the level design issues x10. While the graphics themselves are high quality the actual lacals are generic. The first is just a forest. The Castle is just a castle. And each ine gas some lame gimmick that makes them kind of suck, Ice Castle with the Gyro Towers, Forest with the timed platforms and the fog maze, slow mo lazer shit in the HQ, the fucking Dice "Game." 

DMC5 is the closest the series has come to its dark creepy gothic look since the first one, it gives a lot of different room shapes and types to fight in, the City is a fusion of Modern City with Gothic Architecture, but also has that mini times square with the huge TVs. 

Bot trying to say 5 has amazing level design because it doesn't and has moments that do annoye me, deffinitly not flawless but a step forward since 3. I think 3 and 5 are about equal in this regard. 3 has a couple cool areas but they also make you revisit almost all of them multiple times in some way and doesn't remix the areas in clever ways imo. Usually just destroys the area to represent the tower shifting. DMC1 reuses areas but did it in creepy and creative ways. 5 keeps moving forward with new places to go. It starts to slump a bit in the tree but o my a bit and some of the best actual level design is there, even if the visuals start to get a bit repetetive. 

As for Trish...i guess? Like I dunno man what's the standard here? If you saw her in real life I seriously doubt you would call her ugly for even a second, and if we are comparing her to 4, she looks like a plastic Barbie doll with helium balloons for a chest. She's attractive in that fake shonen exagerated sort of way. Lady is the same, she looks cool and "attractive" but at the same time she looks like an action figure and her tits bounce like they defy gravity. 

Like I don't think Trish looks ugly. She looks realistic. It hits different. 

That's my opinion on it anyway. 

35 minutes ago, PVL_93_RU said:

As far as gameplay goes I'd only like a minor speed up for the combat/animations and tone down the whirly shit when you switch weapons, give us the QOL update from later games where you can just toggle between devil arms using L2 and R2, be it a limit of two at a time or cycling through everything like in 4

See this is exactly what I don't want. Don't touch the gameplay. It's extremely balanced as is with only a couple broken features like Grenade Rolling. You go making it so you can not swap weapons on the fly and you'll snap the combat in half. This is exactly why I don't want Capcom to listen to the community, they over prioritize things like player expression or QOL to the detriment of the game. Its fun and cool and convenient to be abke to switch on the fly but the enemies where not designed with that ability in mind. You'll just fuck it up if you do that. 

40 minutes ago, PVL_93_RU said:

Also add a Trish mode like the secret unlockable in DMC2

That would be a cool skin for Dante since that's what she is in 2, DMC1 Dante. 

41 minutes ago, PVL_93_RU said:

But really though I'd rather Capcom just remake DMC2 and do that game justice. The original has a solid foundation, it just needed faster gameplay, weapon upgrades to actually mean anything, and more interesting boss encounters where guns don't just do the job for you

I'd rather they just make something new since DMC2 is so bad it would need to be rethought from the ground up. Keep the skeleton of the game and just redo everything else. Everything about that game needs to be re-thought imo. I honestly think it would be pointless because Itsuno already re-thought the game, its how we got DMC3. Judt make DMC6 instead. Capcon was better off when they pretended 2 didnt exist imo.