Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread: Now Featuring Animated Avatars

5 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

#Fuuuuuuckmelee

Yikes. I wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume maybe they had legally acquired the Roms at least, but I guess that's what I get for believing in Smashers at all... 

The fact that they got a warning and still persisted is just baffling to me. Honestly surprised they were even warned, lots of peeps just get smacked by Nintendo with the immediate C&D. 

1 minute ago, M A R T I A N said:

Yikes. I wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume maybe they had legally acquired the Roms at least, but I guess that's what I get for believing in Smashers at all... 

The fact that they got a warning and still persisted is just baffling to me. Honestly surprised they were even warned, lots of peeps just get smacked by Nintendo with the immediate C&D. 

Some people are masochistic.   Like that one dude who Nintendo actually gave a warning too a couple of years ago and didn't take the hint and then they were like 'aight...well clearly you want the full butt fucking so here we go'

15 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

#Fuuuuuuckmelee

The fact people are mad at Nintendo for doing something literally any company would do is laughably stupid. 

If the major sponsor of the event who is also the MAKER of the game tells you “hey, if you’re going to do A please don’t involve Y” and you essentially tell them to go fuck themselves than wtf do you expect the outcome to be? 

Edited by iStu X
13 minutes ago, iStu X said:

The fact people are mad at Nintendo for doing something literally any company would do is laughably stupid. 

If a sponsor and MAKER of the game tells you “hey, if you’re going to do A please don’t involve Y” and you essentially tell them to go fuck themselves than wtf do you expect the outcome to be? 

Sadly, this kind of mentality is prevalent in the whole gaming community.

They live in this bubble that think that because companies aknowledge that there is a bennefit in allowing players to do stuff like tournaments, streams and the like, that somehow it means that companies owe them for the exposure that they give to the games by playing them or supporting them.

Just look at the comments that people post on the twatter threads on this subject, claiming that nintendo is morally on the wrong, lmao.

Or our boi Martian here, thinking that nintendo is being petty.

People let their feelings override their common sense.

Edited by Hecatom
4 hours ago, M A R T I A N said:

I think the height of my agony this year has been watching every single influencer on every social media platform playing Demon's Souls while I'm over here emulating the original game. 

I am pretty much living in denial telling myself it's not that different. It can't be that good, right? That's the only possible way I can cope. I haven't missed out on a launch day Souls title for 11 years and this could arguably be the best one yet. 

My displeasure is immeasurable and my suffering is endless. 

/rant 

Yeah, if you had a PS5 you could be unlocking that new armor set that apparently it's very cool

https://www.destructoid.com/stories/the-secret-demon-s-souls-door-was-unlocked-and-it-s-guarding-a-cool-item-set-610754.phtml

https://kotaku.com/demons-souls-speedrunner-opens-remakes-mysterious-door-1845720156

edit: nvm, I am late 😆

Edited by AriesWarlock

There's just a lot of dumb shit involved with this that if the Melee people took the time to take themselves out of the equation and look at it objectively that they'd see that Ninty was well within their rights to do what they did...ANY COMPANY IN THAT POSITION WOULD BE.  I get Ninty ain't helping them with not having to take the fatback CRTs every where...I get that.  But they still own the IP period.  There's no 'morally' wrong thing on them at all.  They own it, end of discussion.  If Sega was to suddenly be like 'aight...no more sonic fan games moving forward starting from now.  In fact we're getting what's out there scrubbed off of the internet.'  then that sucks but the sonic community is gonna have to hold that shit.  No game company is going to be generally ok with an event that they're sponsoring where there's modded/copied/emulated version a game.   And then on top of this the IP holder is like 'hey...we're sponsoring this so we'd appreciate it if you didn't do this' and they go 'hey go fuck yourself', just what in the actual?!  I mean Smashers should already know how Ninty rolls with stuff like this so the fact that they even bothered to give them a courtesy of trying fix it before pulling the plug should show that they actually gave a damn before they caught the spit in the face.  I mean after all the shit that happened in the smash community this year you'd think that they'd be trying to repair the relationship with the IP holder but this reeks of entitlement that they have NO ROOM at all for right now. /end final 2 cents

Smash community has always been hella entitled. They think they are the video game community. It’s why no respects anything about their community. 

The icing on the cake for me with all this is all these people who swear off smash and/or Nintendo will come right back when the next direct, new model of switch or next smash character pass reveal happens. They’ll be worshipping the mighty N’s nuts again in no time. 

edit: Smashers on Twitter are quoting Iwata like theyre Bible verses. Kinda gross. 

Edited by iStu X

Was wondering if we would talk about the Melee Slippi thing. I see it made the rounds here already. 

I really don't get how the Melee crowd can get mad at Nintendo when they asked them not to use an emulated version of their game. Everyone knows how Nintendo rolls when it comes to protecting their IPs. 

I know Melee players love sucking that game's nuts but there is a perfectly good Smash game called Ultimate that has the entire roster from Melee and way more characters. Yeah, the online can be dookie but you can play that game legally and without using a CRT TV. Ohhhhhh right, Ultimate isn't Melee, so it sucks.  Granted, not every Melee player feels that way but the hyping that game has received is blown way out of proportion. It is hard for me to watch Melee matches because so often, you see the same handful of characters and stages. No wonder Sonichuman has that Melee hashtag. 

12 hours ago, Wellman said:

Sucks but yeah it is expected if you got Nintendo as a sponsor. I mean they are not getting any new money off Melee to begin with, why would they be cool with a legit tournament essentially advertising emulation as the best method to play it?

If they aren't making any new money off Melee because the game is out of print and not available on current consoles, who's fault is that? It isn't like the players have a legit option that doesn't involve paying someone other than Nintendo for the game. I get nintendo's stance, but if they aren't trying to offer the game in any legit way, what are players supposed to do, just forget the game exists altogether? 

Fuck, I can't believe I'm defending smashers. I need to take a look at my life 🤔 though Big House deserved to get clapped for being so brazen. This goes for all companies though. How can they be mad at players for emulating their old games when they themselves don't give those players a legit path to owning the game? 

Edited by DoctaMario
12 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

Nintendo even asked the TO's to not play Melee with the emulation and all that jazz and they refused.

Well, yeah, they’d have to refuse. 
 It was an online event for a game that doesn’t have online. 

I get what people are saying, it’s Nintendo’s yard and they can yell at the kids to get off it if they so choose. 

But I honestly think that Nintendo should read the room and realize if they rereleased melee with good netcode people would buy it. The player base is telling you what they want, you didn’t give it to them, so they made it themselves. 

8 hours ago, iStu X said:

edit: Smashers on Twitter are quoting Iwata like theyre Bible verses. Kinda gross.

I started seeing this. Smashers acting like Nintendo didn't crack down on emulation and fan projects when Iwata in charge. Iwata was in charge when Nintendo took down R4 flash cards and killed a bunch of fan games like 2 metroid 2 remake projects and a handful of Pokemon ones.

ah, he did a video on my beloved Aliens vs. Predator arcade game

It's a real shame there's basically no chance this will ever get an official release/port on anything.  This game is actually the #1 reason I got a 2nd PSP and modded it, after I noticed a friend had it on his system. 

I don't even remember the other games I put on there after that; it was all about AvP for me.... arcade perfect... and portable

Happy Robert Redford GIF

12 hours ago, iStu X said:

If the major sponsor of the event who is also the MAKER of the game tells you “hey, if you’re going to do A please don’t involve Y” and you essentially tell them to go fuck themselves than wtf do you expect the outcome to be? 

Facts. 

1 hour ago, KingTubb said:

But I honestly think that Nintendo should read the room and realize if they rereleased melee with good netcode people would buy it.

That will never happen. Were never, ever going to get a rerelease of Melee, especially not when Smash Ultimate is still making money. 
People need to understand Melee is DEAD. And when it comes up to time Nintendo rather Develop a new Smash bros than to ever remake Melee.
We will see the N64 game and Brawl remade a dozen times over long before we see Melee see the light of day.

9 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

Melee turds only hope is if Nintendo brings back virtual console and puts Melee on it.

And Nintendo isn't even doing the VC thing on the switch. 
Nindy hinted they are going more than just Sunshine on the Switch, but no ideas is it going to be VC-like, what they are doing with the NES and SNES, or a emulated port like Super Mario 3D All-Stars.

But I can tell you right now, Melee is not apart of that development. Melee has a huge security hole that allows the running of outside code, and Nintendo rather spend the effort elsewhere than to fix a security glitch in a GC game. It's easier to squash IP violations than it is to spend money on fixing a 3 or 4 generations ago Game. 

Plus I am pretty sure Nintendo wants to distance themselves from the Melee crowd as much as they can. 

Edited by DarkSakul
5 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

If they aren't making any new money off Melee because the game is out of print and not available on current consoles, who's fault is that? It isn't like the players have a legit option that doesn't involve paying someone other than Nintendo for the game. I get nintendo's stance, but if they aren't trying to offer the game in any legit way, what are players supposed to do, just forget the game exists altogether? 

Fuck, I can't believe I'm defending smashers. I need to take a look at my life 🤔 though Big House deserved to get clapped for being so brazen. This goes for all companies though. How can they be mad at players for emulating their old games when they themselves don't give those players a legit path to owning the game? 

They have to do what they have already been doing for years, haul Cubes and CRTS to events. Thats what they have to do. Get with it or move on to a newer Smash. 

Also I liked RCG more then SOR4 personally. I find the RPG mechanics of gaining new moves and buffing your fighter to be more engaging over the long term, i like the Aesthetic and music more, and i really liked the combat a good deal. SOR4 was awesome, but RCG edged it out by a hair. Frankly I am thrilled to have two amazing brawlers in 1 year. 

@M A R T I A NWait till you beat the game my dude. 

Edited by RSG3
44 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

Get ready for my shitty Axel/back pain from carrying the team. 

Gonna take a look at that sale. 

They buffed him at some point right? Only one of the core cast I found kind of a drag to play initially. 

I'm definitely using this as an excuse to grab RE3R. Played a lot of that game back in the day along with 2 so I gotta represent. 

Double post, sorry. 

apparently Square is in talks with Ubisoft to sell them Crystal Dynamics and other western studios they own that helped in Marvel’s Avengers as a way to distance themselves from how big of a failure and embarrassment Marvel’s Avengers has been for Square.

It’s also a way for Square to recoup some of the massive losses they took because of Avengers 

Donald Glover Reaction GIF

Edited by iStu X

If anyone can save the sinking ship that Gamestop it's Reggie. 

Also Square that's hella grimey. Man Avengers....what a shit show from beginning to end. 

Well maybe if Ubisoft doesn't burn to the ground any time soon Crystal Dynamics can float another Legacy of Kain game *Pie in the Sky Dreams*

If I had a band that might be the name...or the name of one of our Albums. 

Edited by RSG3