Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread: Now Featuring Animated Avatars

If you haven't played it TWEWY (that fuckin' acronym) is worth checking out just because of how the battle system is implemented. I played it on the original DS cart so not sure if/how they tweaked it for other releases, but it used the two screen system in an interesting way.

Never beat it, just kinda fell off about halfway through. And to RSG3's point the MC is a cunt. 

Great music though. 

3 hours ago, GetTheTables said:

Ping was pretty good throughout. Add SoR4 to the list of games with better online than SFV. 😝

I don't think our ping was hardly ever above 80 and averaged around 65. 

There wasn't a single hiccup on my end, and things were smooth enough that I hit like 80% of my "victory jumps" so yeah, netcode is leagues better than SFV

5 hours ago, M A R T I A N said:

The first game was a turn based JRPG right?

No. Not really. It’s more action rpg as you can freely move the main character, Neku around in battle but it’s in a limited space. 

You attack using a combination on pins (like enamel pins) you’ve collected over the game.  Each pin has its own stats, as well as abilities and secondary effects when applicable. Every pin also has a cool down phase. 

The more you use the pins you have equipped they better they get until their maximum potential. 

Edited by iStu X
3 hours ago, GetTheTables said:

If you haven't played it TWEWY (that fuckin' acronym) is worth checking out just because of how the battle system is implemented. I played it on the original DS cart so not sure if/how they tweaked it for other releases, but it used the two screen system in an interesting way.

Never beat it, just kinda fell off about halfway through. And to RSG3's point the MC is a cunt. 

Great music though. 

Play it on a DS/3DS because the other versions are a mobile port, which isn't terrible and a enhanced Switch port of the mobile version which sort of is terrible control wise.

Just now, Chadouken said:

What's up with that Godfall game? Is it supposed to be any good? Looks cool, but I don't know about the gameplay. Three player co-op runs like it could be fun. Maybe.

I just saw a video title on YouTube that said it has the same problems as Destiny so maybe you'll like it since you like Destiny. 

I didn't watch it so that's all I got. 

9 hours ago, KingTubb said:

Been thinking about my "Best of 2020" games and I realized I didn't play very much that came out in 2020.

My list so far is (no real order):

SoR4

Animal Crossing

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2

uhh... Squadrons maybe??

I really need to pick up hades so that I could even attempt to scrape together a top 5. 

My personal favorite games of 2020 are Resident Evil 3 and Ghosts of Tsushima. Doom Eternal and FF7R would be here too but I haven't played them yet. 

Yea I know, but i see a ton of peeps on the yootoob backing them up like...what...they can't hold a tourney without Senpai there? Aren't these the guys who literally bullied their way into Evo? What happened to all that gusto? 

So Nintendo told you to fuck off so fuck off and go do your tourney without them. 

I'm gonna try to watch the mahvel tourney all the way through tomarrow but I was fucking hollerin when they played the Marlinpie hype vid. They cut to a shot of yipes who was in mid ptsd  episode remembering all the times Marlin bodied him with swag combos in practice.  His face looked straight disgusted watching the video

3 hours ago, TheInfernoman said:

@M A R T I A N

Peeps still yelling at me on this but didn't we have this discussion on here?

Yeah, supposedly the guy streaming had his hard copy of the game sitting by in the background. If that's true it would make emulating it not piracy. 

Smashers seem to fail to understand that it's irrelevant either way tho, since Nintendo specifically asked them not to stream an emulated version of the game, period.  🤷🏾‍♂️

27 minutes ago, M A R T I A N said:

Yeah, supposedly the guy streaming had his hard copy of the game sitting by in the background. If that's true it would make emulating it not piracy. 

Smashers seem to fail to understand that it's irrelevant either way tho, since Nintendo specifically asked them not to stream an emulated version of the game, period.  🤷🏾‍♂️

Do you only need one copy to run a 32 man tournament? 

Meanwhile capcom is like go ahead max rep that mahvel 😂

1 hour ago, Maxx said:

Do you only need one copy to run a 32 man tournament? 

Meanwhile capcom is like go ahead max rep that mahvel 😂

Technically yeah. The game itself supports up to 64 man tournaments on one console. What makes it muddy is that they were using a program to emulate the game and play it through netplay, and as far as I can tell there isn't a ton of legal precedent set in place for something like that. So my guess is Nintendo wanted to sidestep it altogether by telling them flat out not to emulate it at all. 

I imagine if they played the game this way, every player involved would need to own a physical copy of the game as well, but I really don't know. Maybe just the person hosting needs to have a copy. And if it's the former, would Nintendo really wanna spend time verifying all these players actually own copies of the game?  Sounds like a pain in the ass. 

These are all questions Nintendo probably already considered and why they considered emulation off limits. 🤷🏾‍♂️

Edited by M A R T I A N

I watched Max’s stream of Alien to see how much more I have left and NOW I have like 10 minutes left. 
also, low key fuck Max a little. He did this clickbait title about playing on hard mode, but the dude for sure had some mods to make walk speed and tasks waaaaay faster, making the game a hell of a lot easier. 
cheating ass BITCH

Edited by KingTubb
4 hours ago, M A R T I A N said:

Technically yeah. The game itself supports up to 64 man tournaments on one console. What makes it muddy is that they were using a program to emulate the game and play it through netplay, and as far as I can tell there isn't a ton of legal precedent set in place for something like that. So my guess is Nintendo wanted to sidestep it altogether by telling them flat out not to emulate it at all. 

I imagine if they played the game this way, every player involved would need to own a physical copy of the game as well, but I really don't know. Maybe just the person hosting needs to have a copy. And if it's the former, would Nintendo really wanna spend time verifying all these players actually own copies of the game?  Sounds like a pain in the ass. 

These are all questions Nintendo probably already considered and why they considered emulation off limits. 🤷🏾‍♂️

It's also important to remember that in America at least if a company doesn't enforce their IP protection...they lose it. 

This is a much larger issue then just some guys wanting to play an old game online. 

Edit: Got a new genre descriptor I hate for you guys. Only just saw it. 

Boomer Shooter. 

Used to describe old FPS games likes DOOM/2 Duke 3D, Blood, Rise of the Triads and the like. DOOM 2016 and Eternal are said to be designed with a Boomer Shooter mentality. 

Fucking kill me now. Just get it over with. 

Edited by RSG3
5 hours ago, M A R T I A N said:

So I guess the real issue that they shouldnt push the issue on is tournaments. Yes in court you can play a rom for a game you own. But now your running tournaments and getting money on someone else's ip. 

Technically I can see two big things from nintendo

1. You are making a profit off Nintendo work. You aren't giving Nintendo a cut of the profits also they denied the rights. Just like how the music industry wants a cut everytime a piece of music is used in media I can see Nintendo going to court if they wanted over this. 

2. The other issue is tournaments haven't been tested in court. We know they argued one person could play the one game... Not 32 people who are also paying money I assume to be in this tournament making a profit in theory off of Nintendo ip. 

Again.. Smashers shouldn't try to push this issue. I see more evidence for Nintendo being on the winning side than nerds 

8 minutes ago, AriesWarlock said:

Man, Squidboard is a treasure trove. They just posted the Demon's Soul new OST, both Blasphemous OST's, 320kbps versions of a few Igavania games. The SOTC 2018 ost. There's even the River City Girls OST!!!! @M A R T I A N

Tell me more about this... Board of Squids 

1 hour ago, RSG3 said:

Got a new genre descriptor I hate for you guys. Only just saw it. 

Boomer Shooter. 

Used to describe old FPS games likes DOOM/2 Duke 3D, Blood, Rise of the Triads and the like. DOOM 2016 and Eternal are said to be designed with a Boomer Shooter mentality. 

Fucking kill me now. Just get it over with. 

I can see us becoming parodies of ourselves in 5 or 10 years with this shit.

"Introducing our looter shooter melee based exploration-focused Boomervania, a turn based RPG with survival horror aspects. It's also a dating sim."