Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread: Now Featuring Animated Avatars

1 hour ago, Maxx said:

Yipes commentating dragon ball fighterz national tournament? 👀👀👀

Also Chris g drama will never not be funny. Homie stays mentally free for like two decades 

What did Chris G do THIS time?  If its pertaining to him quitting due to lag/ getting trolled by Reynald in his first match then I already know about that.

9 hours ago, axeman61 said:

What's a good external drive for the PS4 and PS5 (or just the PS4; same question)?

I'm realizing that the PS5 won't have better storage options for a while. Hell, SSD storage won't get cheaper for a while. So I'm thinking with the PS5 (when I get it next year) I'll offload games onto an external drive when I'm not playing them. I just want the external I pick to be good for the PS4 too, as I'm not going to immediately dump it.

Been looking at these:
https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Playstation-Portable-External-STGD4000400/dp/B076826S5R/ref=sxin_9_sxwds-deals-bau?cv_ct_cx=external+drive+4tb&dchild=1&keywords=external+drive+4tb&link_code=qs&pd_rd_i=B076826S5R&pd_rd_r=dd0da2de-cf0a-43ac-b40c-08a830b35c3e&pd_rd_w=IFYwN&pd_rd_wg=aBHIy&pf_rd_p=2c544996-d1bf-4fce-93e0-4834f2351955&pf_rd_r=A9Q3TYVGG220X98TFFJR&psc=1&qid=1606561482&sourceid=Mozilla-search&sr=1-1-1903e5b0-5a58-4801-8a92-532ede568110&tag=mozilla-20

https://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Elements-Portable-External/dp/B07X41PWTY/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=external%2Bdrive%2B4tb&link_code=qs&qid=1606561482&sourceid=Mozilla-search&sr=8-4&tag=mozilla-20&th=1

EDIT: Never mind. I'm going with this WD My Passport drive I'm seeing. Might buy 2 (one for my computer).

Hey Axeman, I actually have a USB 3.0 Thumbdrive. I got it for $70 its 512GB and it works damn well. The read speed is more than 4 times (430MB/s vs 100MB/S) a 5400rpm HDD and the write speed is 2.5 times (250MB/s vs 100MB/s) a 5400rpm HDD. It's plugged into the back of PS5 so it's don't take up any space. 

Edit: As a point of reference a SATA 3 SDD is 500-600MB/s read/300MB/s write.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01E17LOL6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by Darc_Requiem
40 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

What did Chris G do THIS time?  If its pertaining to him quitting due to lag/ getting trolled by Reynald in his first match then I already know about that.

Yeah lmfao. The fact he went crying about lag and quitting the tournament when you knewwwww the lag was an issue from jump is hilarious. Just classic Chris g shit 

I'm probably getting that Jedi Fallen Order since it's on the Black Friday sale.... 23 bucks and change at the moment.  The one thing irking me a bit though is that it appears there is no freedom to join the "dark side" of the force in that game.  My dream Star Wars game would be pure action and have that issue of morality at play, where you could be light-side or dark-side if you want....and of course it drastically changes where the story goes depending on what you do.  

..also from the big sale--- I'm considering DBZ Kakkarot and the "Aftermath" addition for MK 11....but then again there's also the "Ultimate" edition of Tekken 7 which is only 20 bucks right now....

53 minutes ago, MillionX said:

I'm probably getting that Jedi Fallen Order since it's on the Black Friday sale.... 23 bucks and change at the moment.  The one thing irking me a bit though is that it appears there is no freedom to join the "dark side" of the force in that game.  My dream Star Wars game would be pure action and have that issue of morality at play, where you could be light-side or dark-side if you want....and of course it drastically changes where the story goes depending on what you do.  

..also from the big sale--- I'm considering DBZ Kakkarot and the "Aftermath" addition for MK 11....but then again there's also the "Ultimate" edition of Tekken 7 which is only 20 bucks right now....

I saw theirs a version of tekken 7 that comes with soul calibur on Amazon. 

nah, I didn't get Godfall since I don't have PS5 (*with the way things are going on that front; I guess I'll also be in the "later next year" camp).... I think it's on pc as well but no way in hell my machine could run that... and I am not a fan of playing games on pc in the first place; if there's a console option I'll go for that basically 100% of the time....ha, I still regret wasting money on pc-version Diablo 3, which is still the handicapped version, imo. 😄 of course pc Diablo fans will never admit it though.

Dead Cells---finally beat Mama Tick; I'm also noticing they have added a whole new area lately... I didn't know about the "Distillery" area until now.  After beating the Giant, you now have 3 options of where to go--- High Peak Castle, Distillery or straight to the Throne Room.

note--- Giant is an insanely difficult fight if you don't have a shield.... I'll always pass on even going to that fight if I happen to not have a shield equipped.  I enjoy the design of what's going on there... check out the craziness that the Giant involves:

Edited by MillionX

Hades is too fun, finally unlocked all the weapons and I'm happy and surprised that I like 4/6 of them. The gun is nutty as fuck especially with the Daedulus upgrade that splits your special into 5 separate bombs, there's something about dashing upto an cunts face, placing a Venn diagram of pain on it and then watching the ensuing carpet bombing of said cunt. 

I FUCKING HATE Anime notation and spend a good chunk of time transcribing them into Letter Notation whenever I'm looking up new shit.

I get why people like Anime notation but long strings of numbers can just absolutly fuck off, personally speaking. I despise looking at a Jam combo and it looks like fucking quantum theory mathamatics. Shit gives me a migrain. 

Edited by RSG3
12 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

I FUCKING HATE Anime notation and spend a good chunk of time transcribing them into Letter Notation whenever I'm looking up new shit.

I get why people like Anime notation but long strings of numbers can just absolutly fuck off, personally speaking. I despise looking at a Jam combo and it looks like fucking quantum theory mathamatics. Shit gives me a migrain. 

And unfortunately that's the disadvantage of being a legacy player. But if we had a universal language for fighting games we can get alot more new people involved. Without a constant flow of new blood shits gonna look like third strike Era of fgc again. You don't have to dumb games down to make them accessible. 

Personally I think anime notations have never been an issue because I played soul calibur 2 when I was like 14. That was probably the first form of it. 

Also unist is great because they teach you it all in tutorials. 

Also this is something I was literally typing to a friend about. Advanced tutorials taking you from basic concepts to really advanced stuff. This is the kinda tutorial that will take someone from a casual to a real player and not end up on scrub quotes crying about gettin murked because someone's playing like evos next week. 

Edited by Maxx
15 minutes ago, Maxx said:

And unfortunately that's the disadvantage of being a legacy player.

No, thats the unfortunate disadvantage of transposing numbers and in general being bad at reading groups of them. 

It's not a legacy thing. It's a me being asstastic with numbers issue. 

I'm sure this plays as a legacy issue for others but not for me. I can read it but its very slow and hard to do because I am terrible with numbers. 

You unfortunatly completely missed what I was saying, fullstop. 

Also we did have a universal language, we just introduced another one for other types of games because people found it easier to type out on BBC and Message boards. 

Edited by RSG3

re numerical notions vs. traditional: 

Thankfully I learned numerical notions when my brain was still a FG sponge. Learning Melty blood when I was around 18-19 and posting on dust loop and Melty bread forums helped a lot with that. 

don’t get me wrong. Shit is hella confusing at first. You feel dyslexic when reading them or it’s some advanced equation where if you put it in wrong the world explodes but it just takes time like everything else. 

that said, I’ll take traditional over numerical any day of the week cause numerical is whack as fuck. 

Edited by iStu X

For sure, and I'm not saying it's a bad system, I hope no one is getting that inpression. It's a perfectly fine system, it's just not a fine one for me. Numbers give me issues, I literally see them backwards in my mind sometimes, I transpose them, so like I look at 89 and see 98 in my brain. You start jamming long sequences of them together and it just turns to soup on me. Melts down the page. I have to transcribe them into Letter notation because I don't have that issue with letters, only numbers. 

It's a personal problem. Too many people like and read number notation just fine for me to call it bad. Just that I personally hate it because my brain is broken. I despised math class lmao. 

10 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

No, thats the unfortunate disadvantage of transposing numbers and in general being bad at reading groups of them. 

It's not a legacy thing. It's a me being asstastic with numbers issue. 

I'm sure this plays as a legacy issue for others but not for me. I can read it but its very slow and hard to do because I am terrible with numbers. 

You unfortunatly completely missed what I was saying, fullstop. 

Also we did have a universal language, we just introduced another one for other types of games because people found it easier to type out on BBC and Message boards. 

What other universal language that translates to consoles? 

Your post didn't come off as a you specific thing since I was talking generals with core concepts for the broader audience. I didn't think you'd be talking just about yourself with it 

Edited by Maxx
11 minutes ago, Maxx said:

What other universal language that translates to consoles? 

Letter notation. QCF and the like. Was writing those down when I was in 1st grade. Would go to the arcade with my friend who was older and learn from people there. Would write stuff down and take it home. It worked fine. Number notation took off when it was realized jamming on the number pad was way faster to type. It took off because it works quite well. 

11 minutes ago, Maxx said:

Your post didn't come off as a you specific thing

I figured all the personal nouns ( I used "I" a lot) and the "Personally speaking" comment thought made it clear I was referencing myself. I know you where talking broadly but thought I would chime in with a bit of personal experience that can make number notation an issue for people. 

Not saying my problem is reason to not use it or make it universal, just that people like me exist and it's something to consider in your thoughts about this system and it's inplementation. 

Edited by RSG3
4 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Letter notation. QCF and the like. Was writing those down when I was in 1st grade. Would go to the arcade with my friend who was older and learn from people there. Would write stuff down and take it home. It worked fine. Number notation took off when it was realized jamming on the number pad was way faster to type. It took off because it works quite well. 

I figured all the personal nouns ( I used "I" a lot) and the "Personally speaking" comment thought made it clear I was referencing myself. I know you where talking broadly but thought I would chime in with a bit of personal experience that can make number notation an issue for people. 

Not saying my problem is reason to not use it or make it universal, just that people like me exist and it's something to consider in your thoughts about this system and it's inplementation. 

I think atm it's gotta be one or the other in terms of languages. Sf language style was the dominant one for a long time. But now you almost have too many. Tekken uses a hybrid form that is part numbers and part sf. I think snk (it's been a while since I played) uses sf style. For a new player to come in, and wanna play diff games. I guess just one language is important is my real point. 

I'm not saying anime. Numbers is the right one. But it Def does seem to be more and more the dominant language for fighters now. 

12 minutes ago, Maxx said:

I think atm it's gotta be one or the other in terms of languages. Sf language style was the dominant one for a long time. But now you almost have too many. Tekken uses a hybrid form that is part numbers and part sf. I think snk (it's been a while since I played) uses sf style. For a new player to come in, and wanna play diff games. I guess just one language is important is my real point. 

I'm not saying anime. Numbers is the right one. But it Def does seem to be more and more the dominant language for fighters now. 

I would be highly inclined to agree, one language would do a lot to help and would be a good first step. We also need to formalize names for mechanics across the board, there's how many names for just Alpha Countering? Lol. 

Edited by RSG3

I beat the first boss, the Phalanx, in DeS and I was able to level up with the souls I collected. Now I'm kinda at a loss of what to do next. Should I keep going in Boletarian Palace, or mice in to one of the other areas? Seems it leaves it pretty open, but I'm not sure what the recommended way to go is. I ended up going to the next area to check it out, the one with the mines, and seem to be doing OK there.

Oh, some fuck invaded my game and back stabbed me. WTF is that shit about? Was that another real person? Now I'm back in spirit form and my HP is cut in half.

Overall I'm really enjoying the shit out of the game so far. It's a little confusing at times though. There was this dude in the first level I was supposed to save or something. But I ended up hitting him and he went agro on me so I liked him and he gave me a Mausoleum Key.  Hope I didn't fuck anything up 😂

17 hours ago, M A R T I A N said:

I don't watch Skill Up. I find his content a bit too hyperbolic and he states his feelings in the titles of all his videos. Not much reason to watch the video and see his verdict when he just flat out says he hates or loves a game right in the title. 🤣

I watch because I want to why he hates it. Just saying the game is bad doesn't give me much to go on. His in depth explanation on how badly the melee is made me double back on it. If those issues get addressed I'll fuck with it.

16 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

I beat the first boss, the Phalanx, in DeS and I was able to level up with the souls I collected. Now I'm kinda at a loss of what to do next. Should I keep going in Boletarian Palace, or mice in to one of the other areas? Seems it leaves it pretty open, but I'm not sure what the recommended way to go is. I ended up going to the next area to check it out, the one with the mines, and seem to be doing OK there.

Oh, some fuck invaded my game and back stabbed me. WTF is that shit about? Was that another real person? Now I'm back in spirit form and my HP is cut in half.

Overall I'm really enjoying the shit out of the game so far. It's a little confusing at times though. There was this dude in the first level I was supposed to save or something. But I ended up hitting him and he went agro on me so I liked him and he gave me a Mausoleum Key.  Hope I didn't fuck anything up 😂

When it comes to where to go I will only give you one bit of advice since this game is about finding yoyr way in the dark. It's obtuse for a reason. 

So here is my advice. Save the Valley of Defilement for later. Doesn't have to be last but you'll want to do it when you are stronger. 

Also each area is divided into sections and you don't have to do an entire region before going to another one. You can do 2-1 of the mines and then go somewhere else if you like.  He'll you don't even have to finish 2-1 of the mines before going elsewhere if you want. Explore man. 

Also you killed Ostrava which kinda sucks but isn't the end of the game or anything. 

Edited by RSG3
2 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Also you killed Ostrava which kinda sucks

Oh no 😂 What did I fuck up?

Word, thanks for the advice about exploring. Wanted to make sure I'm not doing anything out of order.  It's pretty awesome you have the freedom to go where you want.

What's up with the invasions though? Is that gonna keep happening? I don't think I'm strong enough to fight other players yet.

14 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

Oh no 😂 What did I fuck up?

A quest line. 

14 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

Word, thanks for the advice about exploring. Wanted to make sure I'm not doing anything out of order.  It's pretty awesome you have the freedom to go where you want.

Yea there is no proper order. Only time people have a specific order is when they are aiming for gear for their build. Like if was making a mage build I would be tempted to hit Valley of Defilament first, good magic weapon in 5-2 I think it is. Been a while. 

16 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

What's up with the invasions though? Is that gonna keep happening? I don't think I'm strong enough to fight other players yet.

Yea as long as you are in body form and are online you will get invaded by other players. NPCs can invade but that tends to require specific conditions be met, 90% of the time they will be players. 

You can summon friendly players into your game as well. Keep that in mind. 

Also you got the first shortcut in Bolataria right? In the tower? If so you have a ring in your inventory that should help with you health problems in Soul Form. It's called the Cling Ring. Check it out. Be aware the bonus this ring provides gets worse as world tendency shifts more toward Black. 

haha, that brings back memories of when I first played Demon Souls... I think that's the same guy I remember killing in the "Nexus"(?) area... same deal, I hit him, and the dude was attacking me constantly whenever I came back... eventually I got him to chase me up the stairs and then I managed to knock him off there so he fell to his death.  Strange thing is that this game was THE reason I bought a PS3 back then, but I never ended up finishing the game.  At the time, I was fascinated by how brilliant the game's overall design was.  Folks should remember, of course... this was back in the beginning when this was all new---- back before the dreaded "Souls-like" term became a thing with tons of companies trying to copy certain aspects of the formula (*to the point where it has become tiresome, imo...)

1 hour ago, iStu X said:

That said, I’ll take traditional over numerical any day of the week cause numerical is whack as fuck. 

I grew up using traditional SF style notation ("d,df,f+P" etc which sucks and is way harder to type than the much better "qcf" or "dp" system) but learned numeric when I started playing SamSho and to me the numeric system makes more sense especially when you consider that SNK and GG games have attack buttons tht could be confused with directions (SNK's

B & D buttons and Guilty Gear's Dust button.)  

As an older player I get what "dp" or "tk" connote, but if we aren't playing street fighter then they're just more esoteric concepts that make no sense to use in a game that doesn't have those actual moves in them. I don't know that I have an easier time reading one or the other, but I think the numeric system is more universal and makes more sense to be the one people use especially in games that aren't SF.

Edited by DoctaMario
5 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Also you got the first shortcut in Bolataria right? In the tower? If so you have a ring in your inventory that should help with you health problems in Soul Form. It's called the Cling Ring.

Yeah I got the Cling Ring. I've been playing pretty thoroughly to try and find all the secrets. Seems like there are a lot! I'm glad I picked this game up- definitely having a blast with it. Makes me want to play the Dark Souls games next. 

Just now, Chadouken said:

Yeah I got the Cling Ring. I've been playing pretty thoroughly to try and find all the secrets. Seems like there are a lot! I'm glad I picked this game up- definitely having a blast with it. Makes me want to play the Dark Souls games next. 

I have all the "Souls" games (minus Demons remake pbviously)  so hit me up whenever. Would love to co-op some DS1/3 or Bloodborne or something if you ever get them. 

4 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

You don't happen to have DSR on Switch do you?

Is that Dark Souls Remake? I don't have it on any system. Demon's Souls Remake is my first foray into the Souls genre, except for Sekiro. But Sekiro seems like they went a different direction. Less RPG and more skills based for character builds, which I honestly prefer. I find myself getting too bogged down with traditional RPG elements when it comes to building a character. I'd rather just get to the action. I also love the focus on vertical movement and stealth in Sekiro. 

How does co-op work with these games? We can just join up on one of our campaigns? That sounds pretty fun actually.

3 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

Is that Dark Souls Remake? I don't have it on any system. Demon's Souls Remake is my first foray into the Souls genre, except for Sekiro. But Sekiro seems like they went a different direction. Less RPG and more skills based for character builds, which I honestly prefer. I find myself getting too bogged down with traditional RPG elements when it comes to building a character. I'd rather just get to the action. I also love the focus on vertical movement and stealth in Sekiro. 

How does co-op work with these games? We can just join up on one of our campaigns? That sounds pretty fun actually.

I'm not sure what the matchmaking threshold is in the Remake, but usually in these games you can find people to summon within 10 levels down or up from your character. 

You summon people by simply looking for signs along the ground and touching them. 

If you're trying to summon a friend, you'll have to coordinate with them on where they laid their sign and try to look for it in that spot. Simple as that.

As a side note: if you ever need to go human form but you have no Stones of Ephemeral Eyes, you can lay your sign down and help someone else kill a boss, and when you return to your world you'll come back in human form with all your health. 

You must be in human form to see people's signs. 

Edited by M A R T I A N
15 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

You don't happen to have DSR on Switch do you? I've started DS1 several times over the years and never gotten too far but it would be fun to coop. 

I do not but I'll keep an eye out for a cheap copy. I have DS1R on PS4 tho if you can find it there for cheap perhaps that would be dope. We still have to play Bloodborne you know. 

6 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

Is that Dark Souls Remake?

It's the remaster. Not a remake like Demons. 

6 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

You get an item that let's you leave a mark on the ground. Other players interact with it to enter your world and vice versa, and yes co-oping is a ton of fun. 

Edited by RSG3

Meant to post this earlier but kinda forgot:

was out grocery shopping earlier at Walmart and decided to pop by electronics to see if any of their games were still on Black Friday discount. 

unfortunately Ghost of Tsushima was not. However $30 dollars later 

49BC6F9B-AA4D-489F-8EFE-68DF3096A1F0.thumb.jpeg.05267095ecd0b9c9332f9d4270615cfd.jpeg

definitely a price I’m comfortable with paying considering how much I generally refuse to support Activision,. Hopefully it’s worth it. 

I’ll likely fire it up after I’m done with Age of Calamity. Which will likely be by the end of  this week. 

Edited by iStu X
7 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

Bloodborne is easily one of my top 5 games of all time. AMAZING game!

I downloaded it when it became free. Maybe I didn't let it breathe long enough but I couldn't get into it. I've heard nothing but good things about it though.

Edited by OPTIMUS124