Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread: Now Featuring Animated Avatars

51 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

16 Bit retro > 8 Bit Retro

imo.

After playing Wallachia, I wish more devs would go 16 bit rather than 8. I remember the transition from NES to SNES and it was GLORIOUS, and as much as I love some 8 bit games, seems like that's the default when the word "retro" comes up.

16bit is about 5x times the work. As fidelity goes up the work load grows exponentially. That's why a lot of Indies for with an 8bit look. It's classic, looks "good" and the work load is manageable for one to 2 people which a lot of Indy devs are. 

For reference Crimzon Clover is made by 1 guy and it took him 7 years. Iconoclast was also made by 1 guy and it took him 6 or 7 or something. 

Edit: Rythm mini games are always the worst part of any game. Karaoke was the only real solid undeniable flaw with Sleepy Dogs. It's also only 1% of the game and yet I dread it every time I play.

Double Edit: I forgot Sakuna of Rice and Ruin was out. I must have it!!!

Triple Edit: And fuck me this review for it just said Odin Sphere had "Sprawling Metroidvania Level design."

NO IT DOESN'T!!! FUCKING CHRIST!. You can't just shove the word Metroidvania into shit because you lack to vocabulary to properly express yourself. God dammit man. How the fuck does a game with 0 fucking exploration in it have Metroidvania Level design? There isnt even any platforming in Odin Sphere like fuck the world man!!!!!

Edited by RSG3
1 hour ago, DarkSakul said:

Real Talk

Later it turns out that the Xbox servers are down. 
Server crashes will keep you from doing that initiation,

This is frustrating as fuck and I still don't have plans to get a seX.  I'm just annoyed that they did this with Xbone and upon hearing and knowing full well the issues with doing this shit this way someone over there was like '......lets do that for the next console' AND NOBODY TOSSED THIS PERSON OUT OF A WINDOW.

2 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

This is frustrating as fuck and I still don't have plans to get a seX.  I'm just annoyed that they did this with Xbone and upon hearing and knowing full well the issues with doing this shit this way someone over there was like '......lets do that for the next console' AND NOBODY TOSSED THIS PERSON OUT OF A WINDOW.

How can we make our Product better?

Lets make it infinitely more frustrating by requiring Internet access for initiation.

You are Promoted to VP of Marketing  

2 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

I know most people have their consoles connected to the internet, but I'm always kind of amazed that there doesn't really seem to be a contingency plan (that I'm aware of anyway) in the case of someone not having internet access. 

I had to change my Apple store password awhile back when I updated my work computer and I had to dig out and charge up my old 5s because they wont let you complete the process on a non i-device (my daily driver is a Samsung phone.) A month or so ago, I had to do something involving Google and not wanting to use my smartphone for the process, I clicked the alternative, and there was essentially no way to complete the process without using my phone because the alternative choice wound up being several clicks to end up at, "just use your phone." Tech companies are hilarious.

Edited by DoctaMario

Ok, I started up with this game ARAGAMI, which is currently the "Free with Gold" game on Live... and yeahhhhhh baby I'm loving this shit.  I just finished chapter 1 perfectly; no detections, all threats killed.  Two of the guards did actually find one of the bodies and new "something" was up but they never found me.  Really, I just got this game because it was a free download at the moment, but when I read a bit more of the concept and description..."oh I get SHADOW powers?! SOLD."  I'll most likely double-dip on this one and get it on Switch as well.  You (as an aragami which is apparently a "vengeful spirit") start off with the ability to teleport from one shadow to another, at least within a certain range, and you get more shadow powers unlocked later.

ah, found a review of the Switch version..

*ha, yeah he mentions 2006 a couple of times here but means to say 2016; that's when the game originally released

Edited by MillionX

I hate game comparisons and monitor reviews on YouTube. My best looking screen is my phone, and I can't tell if a game is running at 4K or 1440p since they're both the same. Don't even get me started on refresh rates. I hope they realise that screen capturing doesn't show it.

'You guys ready for next gen!!  Both of our consoles will can run 120 fps'

*Neither console is able to run a last gen game with a consistent 120fps*

OFF TO A GREAT START!!!

Also to be clear...I actually really don't care about 120fps...like at all.  I just find it funny that this is feature that was pushed for the consoles and it isn't consistent on a last gen title.  Only thing I want personally is consistent 60fps if thats the target...anything else is gravy.

12 hours ago, Dayaan said:

I hate game comparisons and monitor reviews on YouTube. My best looking screen is my phone, and I can't tell if a game is running at 4K or 1440p since they're both the same. Don't even get me started on refresh rates. I hope they realise that screen capturing doesn't show it.

They actually talk about some of the difficulties in capturing some of this footage with their current equipment in this video.

Edited by Sonichuman
1 hour ago, BornWinner said:

Apparently the Xbox smoking may be a hoax? I’ve seen a few people state that. I have no idea which side is true, I’m not planning to get either this or a PS5 until way later.

Yeah it looks bogus to me, but we'll see. Both MS and Sony went purposely overboard on cooling this gen. It's the reason for each systems unusual form factor.

Edit: 2020 is undefeated we got @DarkSakulstanding up for Xbox 😮

Edited by Darc_Requiem
11 minutes ago, Angel said:

Since you can't put a hdd in the ps5 yet, what would you have to do to use your old hdd for it?   I have everything on a 2tb internal hdd, would I need something like a toaster or whatever to plug it into the ps5?

You'll need an enclosure like this to make you internal HDD into an external one

https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Tool-free-Enclosure-Optimized-EC-UASP/dp/B00OJ3UJ2S/ref=sr_1_3?crid=R5NKE91D24LY&dchild=1&keywords=hdd+enclosure+2.5&qid=1605125760&sprefix=hdd+en%2Caps%2C160&sr=8-3

HDDs will only work to run PS4 games on. It won't work for PS5 games. 

Edited by Hawkingbird

Well this is kind of a bummer. For better performance, Psyonix will have to recode RL for PS5 due to the way it handles backwards compatibility. 4K checkerboard is what the PS4 Pro already does so there won't be any enhancements for PS5. Was hoping it would run in native 4K, but since it's already programmed to checkerboard, that's how it's gonna be.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gamesradar.com/amp/rocket-league-is-full-4k-on-xbox-series-x-and-checkerboard-4k-on-ps5/

Edited by Chadouken
Stupid autocorrect makes me type things I don't Nintendo.
23 minutes ago, BornWinner said:

Imagine spending 500 dollars to pretend the brand new thing is broken. I seriously don’t get it.

Same universe where people bought N.W.A. records and then broke them as a form of 'protest'.  Same universe where people buy games specifically to make a video of them snapping the disc in half to voice their displeasure over something that they got nettled over.  I mean I could go on and on....this is pretty much par for the course really.

that next Gears 5 operation is on the way very soon... I've really been looking forward to this one, mainly because of the characters and classes being separate finally in Horde.. (so more like Gears 4, where characters are really just whatever "skin" you want to play, and the "class role" is something else....so now I could play as a DR-1 robot but with Kait's "Scout" role and abilities, or anyone else.)

8 hours ago, Angel said:

Since you can't put a hdd in the ps5 yet, what would you have to do to use your old hdd for it?   I have everything on a 2tb internal hdd, would I need something like a toaster or whatever to plug it into the ps5?

That a misnomer You can't use a external HDD on ether the Series S/X or the PS5. You can off load games to a HDD. 
Scratch that, you can use a HDD on the Series S/X for backwards compatible titles Only. But they are going to be slow loading (depending on the drive used).
A external M.2 SSD connected via USB 3.0 would be the fastest external but not faster than the Internal SSD or one of the Memory card expansions. 

For the Series S/X you have to buy proprietary Memory cards (which has a SSD inside) at $220 to expand the Series S/X
The PS5 has a regular M.2 slot that takes NVMe m.2 SSDs from a last of compatible drives, you don't have to buy Sony's. 

Now with the PS5 you need to use one of the rear 3.0 USB ports on back or the USB C port up front.