Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread: Now Featuring Animated Avatars

4 minutes ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

Gonna pick up my PS5 today. I haven't bought a single game for it yet. Waiting till Dec 1 for the physical release of DMC5. My primary reason for getting it was that it's a 4K player, This was the main reason why I didn't upgrade to a PS4Pro.  I  am interested in the Miles Expansion for Spider-Man though. 

Miles Morales is a full stand alone game. Its not an expansion. 

Just fyi. 

I'm about 3ish hours into Alien: Isolation, and this game is infuriating.

It needs an autosave, badly. The fact that I have to replay a "intense" scene several times cause that alien is cheap as hell or completely random is some BS. 

Also, it's placement is completely random every time you load in a save. There was one time last night, I load a save and the motherfucker was practically on top of me and I died instantly. Loaded the save again, it was all the way across the map. 

Director of MH movie already writing for sequels

https://www.ign.com/articles/monster-hunter-director-writing-more-for-movie-universe

Bruh...can we get through the first train wreck first?

Sony Exec says it will take 3 years to transition from PS4

https://www.ign.com/articles/sony-exec-transition-from-ps4-to-ps5-expected-to-take-3-years

Scalpers for PS5 are out in full force

https://www.ign.com/articles/ps5-scalpers-selling-consoles-close-to-2000

Anyone who buys a PS5 at near 2000 dollars needs to have their spending privileges taken away.

Edited by Sonichuman
1 hour ago, KingTubb said:

It needs an autosave, badly. The fact that I have to replay a "intense" scene several times cause that alien is cheap as hell or completely random is some BS. 

Also, it's placement is completely random every time you load in a save. There was one time last night, I load a save and the motherfucker was practically on top of me and I died instantly. Loaded the save again, it was all the way across the map. 

I missed your ping about the stream. Sorry about that. Speaking of infuriating save points, I started Hollow Knight last night and I'm already sick of having to walk to that one bench in Dirtmouth.

I know there are other save points somewhere, but dang, I can't find em!

In other news, I need AoC to drop already, dodging spoilers and resisting the temptation to download the demo are getting harder by the second.

2 minutes ago, Volt said:

I know there are other save points somewhere, but dang, I can't find em!

You musta just started then, fam. Excited for you, that game is a 10/10 for me. Hope you enjoy it.

Also, here's a comprehensive map for hollow knight. I wouldn't recommend using it unless you're really stuck, but it could come in handy if you're looking for something or feel stuck:

https://scripterswar.com/hollowknight/map-sketch 

27 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

3-4 times the price on an item to have it immediately instead of paying retail in a month.

I'm way out of the loop, so don't roast me too hard, but what's the console selling SKU on next gen? Demon souls? What's coming out that people have to have now? 

^sheeeeitttt, for me yeah it's Godfall.  That game had me from the first few seconds of gameplay footage that was shown off...also the Demon Souls remake has my interest as well, in addition to the Miles Morales game.  Sadly, the only thing keeping my interest in Xbox land at this point is really the Gears franchise, and *possibly* Fable which is apparently coming back....and Gears 6 won't be out for quite a while, most likely.

More Avengers shit---I didn't know things were THIS bad:

😄 holy crap man how did this get to be such a mess?!  An AVENGERS game should've been such an easy money home-run to pull off... the only thing that jumped out to me as a negative in the beginning was their pitiful roster (especially in contrast to the vastly superior roster of Ultimate Alliance 3) and their intent on pushing a character few fans really care about as the star here.

Edited by MillionX
4 hours ago, KingTubb said:

Auto save would kill the horror instantly. RE used to know what was up with the Ink Ribbons. 

The monster being random is a fantastic idea to, but it probably shouldnt spawn right on top of you lol. 

Edited by RSG3
1 hour ago, KingTubb said:

You musta just started then, fam. Excited for you, that game is a 10/10 for me. Hope you enjoy it.

Just booted it and went back to the room I was.

I thought a puddle of weird stuff was acid, went alllllll the way back to Dirtmouth and saved.

Turns out that it restored my magic and there was a bench right after it.

images_72-1.jpg

Edited by Volt
4 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Auto save would kill the horror instantly.

I agree, sorta. It depends on where the autosave is.  The cheapness of how you die and having to replay a sequence over and over kills it too. 

The times it's busted is when you have big story beat after 20 minutes since your last save, the game decides to throw everything and the kitchen sink at you, you die, then you have to go back 20 minutes and do it all over again. 

Starting me right after  the story beat/cutscence wouldn't ruin the tension at all. Plus you'd still be able to load your last save if you wanted

My experience last night, spoiled:

Spoiler

Was in the hospital, had to turn the power back on to get the elevator working after picking up the trauma kit. Only problem is, when you get the power on, an enemy spawns in the room and you have to wait 2-3 minutes to sneak around him to hack the terminal. When you hack the terminal everything goes crazy, the alien shows up, and the humans in the area shoot on site.  

At this point in the game, there's no real way to fight back against any of this, and because of how the alien, average joes, and humans AI is random, you can't plot a course. So either you have to turtle your way along (even then, you can get unlucky) or just go for it and hope for the best. 

An autosave after shit goes crazy wouldn't take away from the horror imho, because the "haunted house" mad dash to the Exit before the next cutscene is still going to be tension filled. 

Overall, I ended up going from being scared to being incredibly frustrated. And the alien's vision seems to be really inconsistent. There's times it'll blow right past me, and other instances where it scopes me from way far away. 

33 minutes ago, MillionX said:

and their intent on pushing a character few fans really care about as the star here.

Hard disagree here. As far as Marvel's new batch of characters good she's one of fan favorites along with Miles Morales. If the Avengers game was a success it would have raised her stock much like how PS4 Spider-man raised the stock of Mr. Negative. 

22 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

RE used to know what was up with the Ink Ribbons. 

RE is "survival horror" which I like a lot more. 

Right now, Alien feels like "horror". I don't have any way to fight back, there isn't too much downtime or puzzle solving, and the exploration feels a lot more directed than RE. 

It feels way more like a haunted house (ironically) than RE, where it's whole goal is to have a monster jump out and go "OOGLABOOGLA BOO!!!" and make me scream. 

RE has more of an anxiety to it tied to the resource management and wondering if you have enough stuff to survive the next room, instead of being worried about a giant penis monster eating your face off without you having any way to fight back

Edited by KingTubb
24 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

The times it's busted is when you have big story beat after 20 minutes since your last save, the game decides to throw everything and the kitchen sink at you, you die, then you have to go back 20 minutes and do it all over again. 

How did you ever survive the era of Lives? 20 minutes is no time at all dude. 

"RE has more of an anxiety to it tied to the resource management and wondering if you have enough stuff to survive the next room, instead of being worried about a giant penis monster eating your face off without you having any way to fight back"

If you dont manage your resources well enough then you absolutely have to worry about some penis monster eating your face off without any way to fight back, unless you enjoy using the Knife I guess. 

Edited by RSG3
34 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Losing 20 minutes is nothing. Hunt a Monster for an hour and not finish the hunt. THAT is frustrating. 20 minutes is a smoke break. 

I've done hunts where I killed monster and failed the hunt because I or someone else got carted as it died.

Edited by Hawkingbird
1 hour ago, MillionX said:

More Avengers shit---I didn't know things were THIS bad:

😄 holy crap man how did this get to be such a mess?!  An AVENGERS game should've been such an easy money home-run to pull off... the only thing that jumped out to me as a negative in the beginning was their pitiful roster (especially in contrast to the vastly superior roster of Ultimate Alliance 3) and their intent on pushing a character few fans really care about as the star here.

The problem when the executive board room controls the game direction more so then game creators or those that are aware of the IP they are adapting. 

There is honestly some very good stuff in The Avengers game, they just soured it all with the focus on trying to be a service game and not refining the fun game aspects.

13 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

I've done hunts where I killed monster and failed the hunt because I or someone else got carted as it died.

Yea someone did that to me yesterday. Killed my very obviously Capture Hunt after 45 minutes of chasing its ass all over the Wild Spire. I was kinda fucking heated at hime for wasting my time. 

Edited by RSG3
1 hour ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

I have never played one of those games.

Yakuza 7 ties into the Kiyru Saga (Y0-6) but not directly. It’s one of those games where it’s a stand alone sequel but you’ll appreciate the game more if you’ve played the previous titles. 

@RSG3 it is a weird tonal shift but the gameplay ties directly into the story and how the main protagonist, Kasuga sees the world 

Edited by iStu X
10 minutes ago, BornWinner said:

What an asshat

I'd like to say I hope he doesn't sell 3/4 of his stock and he ends up being stuck with them unable to return but people are too thirsty out here.  He'll make his money because the impatient people enable him.

Edit:  This is also a perfect example of why you can only mitigate scalpers but you can never truly stop them. 

Edited by Sonichuman

Miles is fucking dope. I played through the first part in fidelity mode, which is default, and it looks amazing. I'm gonna switch it over to performance and get that 4K 60fps experience going when I boot it up again. 

I also tried Rise of the Tomb Raider in high frame rate mode on PS5 and it feels locked at 60. I recently started it and have been playing it at 4K/30 on PS4 instead of the unlocked frame rate because the inconsistency of unlocked was a bit jarring. Plus that ass looks great in 4K. I'm gonna finish the game at 60fps though. The difference is night and day, and that ass still looks great at 1080p.