Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread, vol. 2

9 hours ago, BornWinner said:

If Goutestu turns out to be the final character, Akuma would be the lamest killer alive. 

Characters like this should be playable only if they exist in a canon “what-if” vacuum unique to player modes. Akuma’s dwindling body count is a perfect example of trash tier retcons that I would like to see avoided as someone tangentially interested in SF’s lore.

Edited by Vhozite

That's the thing about fighting games. People are either bitching about them or talking shit to other players. It's an obnoxious genre to play unless you've got a good local offline group, and then it's really more enjoying a hobby with friends than anything else. Now generally speaking every multiplayer game is better with friends, but you can usually still have plenty of fun just playing solo queue in most games. Not really for FGs though.

If I was a young dude growing up today I would not touch them. I happened to grow up in the arcade era and the games were popular, and so I enjoyed them. Totally different world today though. The FGC will usually gaslight about this, until some personality wants to ask about it, then suddenly they'll....usually attack casual players and gamers for not playing or not being "good" enough.

Were in an era that competitive games have a very tailor made experience for a target demographic and combine it with social media which makes exploration in game system and sharing game tech is more faster than before

Games back then are not as filtered like it was today with more narrowed down experience. While complexity and too much creativity is not the current trends in game design anymore for the current designers to reach out to their expected casual demographic.

SFV survive this because of still having a bit of variety on how to play characters along with it's nostalgia. KOF and Mahvel like games would sustain because of the team base possibilities.

Edited by Shakunetsu
8 hours ago, Vhozite said:

Characters like this should be playable only if they exist in a canon “what-if” vacuum unique to player modes. Akuma’s dwindling body count is a perfect example of trash tier retcons that I would like to see avoided as someone tangentially interested in SF’s lore.

Exactly, just don't make them appear in story mode, but there's no reason to not have them playable if it's an interesting character design or concept. I don't remember how often I had to read that character XY couldn't appear in SCVI because "it was too early in the timeline". I'd rather have someone unique like Hilde (well, pre-SCVI Hilde) in the game without any context than the developers withholding her inclusion due to story reasons. I think that's a perfectly reasonable way to make both groups of players happy (those who care about the lore and those who don't).

Edited by delete_me
Just now, delete_me said:

Exactly, just don't make them appear in story mode or whatever, but there's no reason to not have them playable if it's an interesting character design or concept. I don't remember how often I had to read that character XY couldn't appear in SCVI because "it was too early in the timeline". I'd rather have someone unique like Hilde (well, pre-SCVI Hilde) i the game without any context than the developers withholding her inclusion due to story reasons. I think that's a perfectly reasonably way to make both groups of players happy (those who care about the lore and those who don't).

Their have been a concept of this in other games, not really needed to be called as Nightmare battle like Geese which is a dream match in SNK. I have one that occurs in the memory and origin stories, I call it "Flashback Battles" and also something that occurs to preview the future which is I call "Future Battles". That was the time when we were speculating about Ed in SFV being suddenly grown up. I was thinking his journey in SFV storymode was supposed to be set in the future but I was wrong.

The only thing I see wrong is Alinoue’s statement. Evo is literally this Friday. It would be stupid to do balance changes before a huge event like that. 

I don’t care if SonicFox is falling out of Strive. It’s fine if they do, no point in playing a game if it isn’t fun. Though it is funny that a bunch of other people felt the need to say how much they hate Strive after Sonic. If you need a top player to say something in order to do something as easy as stop playing a game, then I can’t imagine what else you need others to tell you what you can or cannot like.

2 hours ago, BornWinner said:

Though it is funny that a bunch of other people felt the need to say how much they hate Strive after Sonic. If you need a top player to say something in order to do something as easy as stop playing a game, then I can’t imagine what else you need others to tell you what you can or cannot like.

I don’t think most people are coming out of the woodwork hating Strive because of Fox. I think it’s people who already disliked the game feeling validated about their criticisms of the game. Most criticisms of Strive I see you’re either brushed off completely or strawmanned as someone who only wants marvel combos, an old man who hates any new game in a series, or any other variety of negative FGC stereotypes. The main difference now is that it’s someone who’s known I guess, tho idk if he’s actually any good at GG. I don’t give a shit about pro players. 

I will say that as annoying as you find people like you mentioned hating Strive instead of just leaving it be, I myself find Strive players acting like it’s the 2nd coming of Christ to be just as annoying. Liking the game is reasonable, but people like the guy on the Reddit sub right now claiming that Strive has combos and self-expression “2nd to none” get on my damn nerves.

Honestly I think I just hate fighting game players period. The super tribalist attitudes over every series and every game in a series is so tiresome.

Edited by Vhozite
14 minutes ago, Sonero said:

also remember that SF5 js gonna be saved today.

They're gonna do the mid year patch after the release of these two characters. They'll update the game to have SF4 quality netcode too.

Are these characters actually coming out today? I have no idea.

I miss being excited about Street Fighter.

Strive is weirdly polarizing for some reason. 

Most games you can nitpick the flaws, and the zealot defense force is small enough that everyone knows their names.  And for the most part no one pretends that the preferences of a handful of tournament players is going to make or break the game's player base.

No game has ever been saved just because SonicFox enjoys it, so why is everyone acting like SF's killing the game by not enjoying it?

Edited by Reticently
22 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

Most criticisms of Strive I see you’re either brushed off completely or strawmanned as someone who only wants marvel combos, an old man who hates any new game in a series, or any other variety of regular FGC stereotypes.

The problem is his comment. You feel limited in the game compared to what? 

Compared to Skullgirls just letting you do w/e? Compared to NRS giving you 10 million strings? Compared to older GGs?

Because if you make it around the FG block a lot, you're gonna play games with small movesets. Some have a lot of stuff but doesn't feel like you do a lot. Others don't have much but it feels like you have massive firepower. 

A lot of characters are swinging some serious power at people in Strive. A lot of the game has Fuck You energy to it. Even Ky, who got memed early on, is going to make you hold a lot.

People are mad that meterless options of but you didn't have a lot of those in Xrd and hella other games.

So thats the issue. Lacking and limited compared to what? In what instances do you think there should be something? Instead of getting good discussion we just get shitty twitter stuff.

On the Strive discussion it's herd mentality everywhere with people repeating things they think more famous people said (even if that's not necessarily what they said or meant), regardless of whether those things make sense or check out with how Strive and older GGs work.

The only people saying stuff that makes sense in the current debate are those that are telling people to make their own opinion and play what they enjoy (which is just common sense, but common sense has always been a pretty uncommon resource) and Majin Obama because he obviously vastly prefers Xrd and +R over Strive but he's been one of the few I saw who, shitposts aside, could actually get in the details of explaining why he prefers the older mechanics over the new ones, as opposed to "limited, idk" or "baby game".

Some animations looked a bit rough with Oro but overall he seems really cool. Will be interesting to see someone like Xian play him and do some nasty stuff with V-Skill fireball and Tengu stones. Speaking of, it looks like he has a duo of easy-but-bland V-stuff and the opposite.

CA looked phenomenal though, even though the overall choreography and angles aren't too different from Rose's.

Edit: for the record I can already say I preferred the previous format. I really don't need to Vicious and Steve rambling along during a presentation like this.

Edited by delete_me