Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread, vol. 2

Just now, Sonero said:

That's the weirdest thing about it. MK11 sold 12 million copies and its 300 short of catching SF5.

Guilty Gear strive sold 500,000 and has double the entrants. That legit makes no sense. Not sure how they can have sold that much and have so little engagement competitively.

Obviously most people who buy fighting games go nowhere near the competitive scene.

Guilty Gear either attracts more new people who happen to want to compete, or it's a game that people feel is easy to get into and that makes them want to go further with it than they usually do with FGs.

47 minutes ago, Sonero said:

That's the weirdest thing about it. MK11 sold 12 million copies and its less than half of SF5.

Guilty Gear strive sold 500,000 and has almost 5 times the entrants. That legit makes no sense. Not sure how they can have sold that much and have so little engagement competitively.

Seems pretty easy to me: the people who buy Guilty Gear are specifically into competitive play, and the game itself and the culture around it encourages newcomers to play the game competitively; the people who buy Mortal Kombat are possibly people that aren't even normally into fighting games, are encouraged to play the game much more casually, and I think that even the people who play to win online may have more in common "culturally" with the kind of community that plays online Call of Duty than the FGC.

So, MK sells massively but ends up with a competitive scene that's proportionally much smaller than literally any other fighting game. MK attracts communities that have nothing to do with the FGC.

54 minutes ago, Sonero said:

That's the weirdest thing about it. MK11 sold 12 million copies and its less than half of SF5.

Guilty Gear strive sold 500,000 and has almost 5 times the entrants. That legit makes no sense. Not sure how they can have sold that much and have so little engagement competitively.

The casual market is astoundingly large.  

39 minutes ago, AriesWarlock said:

Kensimp stans in shambles.

LMAO at that team. But more importantly, she looks good, Effects on point, model is nice... They're starting to polish that game a bit,

Edit: I don't watch streams, but for those who do...

Edited by Volt

They could've given Ryu the stomps as a new way to combo. Instead they made Kage to really put a period on Ryu not falling to the Satsui No Hado.

Now we have Sagat dealing with it. So in the future we'll have Evil Sagat who will get high tiger, low tiger, knee, uppercut AND stomp combos. Man is gonna do Kara EX stomp and overhead for a hard knockdown from half screen.

10 minutes ago, Sonero said:

Now we have Sagat dealing with it. So in the future we'll have Evil Sagat who will get high tiger, low tiger, knee, uppercut AND stomp combos. Man is gonna do Kara EX stomp and overhead for a hard knockdown from half screen

And somehow he will still be off-meta. 

#PutRollCanelingInSagat

Edited by Pair of Rooks
1 hour ago, Phantom_Miria said:

In case you missed it, here's the VOD for the Darkstalkers exhibition matches they had today:

Darkstalkers 3 is such a crazy game. It gets talked about being high execution but that mostly relates to movement and other stuff. Almost a good 90% of all the combos you're gonna see in that game involve going through the whole chain into sweep for the knockdown. Not a lot of fancy combos in general.

But god forbid a new game come out that doesn't have a lot of fancy combos and boy oh no its suddenly a game for babies.

😂

46 minutes ago, Reticently said:

All of the 'evil' shotos are fun mechanically.  It's just tedious that they feel the need to keep introducing edgier and edgier iterations of the aesthetic.

I’d take this a step further and say shotos in general are fun mechanically, and that constantly introducing evil versions of these characters is redundant. But money talks and they’re popular so 🤷🏽‍♂️

At the very least they tried to do something a little different with Kage. 

9 hours ago, Reticently said:

All of the 'evil' shotos are fun mechanically.  It's just tedious that they feel the need to keep introducing edgier and edgier iterations of the aesthetic

Yeah they finally manage to have strong distinction

When you come to think of it was just Capcom in the past that is being lazy in the late 90s with their fighters that all there shotos had been always in a negative perception . Like it was technology that making them do the headswap.

Unlike SNK which did a better job with there "shoto" being unique KOF even in AOF, while Midway is also doing better with their palette swap ninja.

8 hours ago, Vhozite said:

I’d take this a step further and say shotos in general are fun mechanically, and that constantly introducing evil versions of these characters is redundant. But money talks and they’re popular so

I'm okay with them keeping the current edgy shoto version alternating to each future title and revamp or redesign each new SF game.

Than  Capcom creating new separate version that exist of those edgy version like Evil Ryu 2, Oni2, Yokai or whatsoever.

Kage gets a pass to me because Evil Ryu is redundant and people always wanted Evil Ryu even Ryu is already there. I hope Ryu will never turned Evil Ryu again.

It's inevitable to have a edgy version of an FG protagonist, like it's already a staple motif in modern FG, Shadow Jago, Devil Jin and etc. Yet it's all money talk, Even how much it is frowned upon by competitive and fanbase, it will happen to SF, even it would undergo a major reboot.

If you come to think of it NECALI is a failed attempt to recapture the success and appeal of SF4 Evil Ryu, and they tried it again with Kage.

I always hated the idea in the story that Ryu being a better version of him needs to be Evil Ryu or somewhat is a power up version. His to old to be edgy with internal conflict and Akuma is already there.

Good Direction is that Capcom could alternate Oni and Akuma in each future game. So they don't need to appear both in a same game. As for Ryu that's a different game but it's better that Kage finally take over Evil Ryu slot.

Edited by Shakunetsu
1 hour ago, Shakunetsu said:

Good Direction is that Capcom could alternate Oni and Akuma in each future game. So they don't need to appear both in a same game. As for Ryu that's a different game but it's better that Kage finally take over Evil Ryu slot.

As much as I like Oni aesthetically I really have no desire to see him in a future SF. He feels like a regression of Akuma’s character just for the sake of giving him a DBZ power-up.

1 hour ago, Vhozite said:

As much as I like Oni aesthetically I really have no desire to see him in a future SF. He feels like a regression of Akuma’s character just for the sake of giving him a DBZ power-up.

That's exactly what he is. What makes Akuma special is his mastery over Satsui No Hado. Most people can't handle it and lose themselves to it. Becoming mindless murderous savages. Evil Ryu is what most Satsui No Hado users end up like. Just killing anyone that crosses their path. Akuma has the same moral code he had before his SnH mastery. The tradition of Ansatsuken, like Bushinryu before Zeku, was that their could only be one master. The student killed his master to become one. He didn't kill Goutestu out of malice it was out of respect and Goutetsu held no ill will towards him for it. Oni is Akuma overtaken by Satsui No Hado i.e. it rules over him instead of the inverse. Like Evil Ryu he's just a murderous savage. Necalli without the speech impediment.

2 hours ago, Vhozite said:

Yeah he only exist in a what if scenario that never happened anyway, I'm too with just Akuma being the better character to stay, because there is no sense of the two existing at the same time.

I just hope Capcom would stop making new separate version of edge lord shotos like in namco did with SC havint multiple and different edge lord which are all separate existing  entities that are all manifestation of Soul Edge lol

Another version of a edgy possesses Ryu would just make generic Ryu obsolete. 

We don't need Kage's brother, Kage's sister or whatsoever and also Akuma doesn't need a supersaiyan Oni2 and supersaiyan Oni Blue haha

Shouldn't have whiffed that flash kick. Also what made season 1 kinda fun with multiple characters. Boy were you gonna EAD if you whiffed a DP and they had v-trigger.

Also who are we speculating on the last character of SF5: Returning or Brand New?

Edited by Sonero

This is my order for what I find most likely to least.

Crossover (Capcom or otherwise) > Completely new character to the series/NPC that hasn’t been playable > Reinvention of an obscure character  (Like Retsu or Sawada) > Returning character.

Not only have they not given any hints as to who the character is, they are also following up from Akira. After highlighting that she’s from a different series and the crossover aspect of her inclusion, I don’t think they will end the final season with some like Makoto or Dudley or even someone like Fei Long. Think we are getting someone that would be a surprise.

Edited by BornWinner
On 7/31/2021 at 5:47 PM, Shakunetsu said:

Yes! Daigo Ikeno did a great job on the portraits for 3rd Strike, and while I think Ken's head and neck are the best looking in the game, I think his body is one of the weaker parts of the overall artwork.

This Hawk sprite, however, is great and shows me how great it can look when the whole upper body is given context with the bottom half. Good stuff!

As for the last character, I just hope the whole mystery stuff will be worth it in the end. It would be cool to have someone like Zeku pop up, a known entitiy in the SF universe that never was playable. But if it turns out to be something like Decapre, i.e. just a modified version of something we already have, then ugh...

I agree that having Akira as the second-last character is really weird. Usually you'd keep a character like that as the final one.

I'm not into the SF lore very much, but characters like Goutetsu for example, that are kind of legendary figures in the lore but never have been playable before. 

I feel like that's the only way to beat Akira's inclusion in terms of fan appeal and without doing another crossover character (which I feel they won't).