Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread

35 minutes ago, Yiceman said:

@HawkingbirdThanks for the games, man. I got about 20 wins progress towards the trophy. Progress definitely slowed as you gradually warmed up and remembered how to play though. GGs.

I have Inj2 on pS4 as well (though i haven’t played it past the tutorial). If you want a dummy to just grind wins against, i can help in a few days... I’ll pick Wonder Women... Maybe you can smack the ugly out of her 🤣

1 minute ago, Mattatsu said:

I have Inj2 on pS4 as well (though i haven’t played it past the tutorial). If you want a dummy to just grind wins against, i can help in a few days... I’ll pick Wonder Women... Maybe you can smack the ugly out of her 🤣

Yeah, that would be awesome, thanks.

Also I main WW, that's messed up. She is a beautiful Amazon Princess 😞

18 minutes ago, Yiceman said:

Yeah, that would be awesome, thanks.

Also I main WW, that's messed up. She is a beautiful Amazon Princess 😞

I had a feeling I was going to regret that joke lol.

I’ll download it tomorrow night and should be available Tuesday night to mash rematch, that or I can attempt to play if you’d prefer, though it would be similar outcome lol

Edit: oh, forgot to mention that i’ll be on wifi. But i figured out how to run an ethernet to my office which i’ll try to do on the weekend. Starting to miss FGs

Edited by Mattatsu

Sounds good. And at this point, I'm just trying to crank out the platinum trophy, but I'm more than happy to play some real matches for fun, so it's up to you. If you actually want to try and learn the game, we can do some real matches. If you don't care at all, we can just grind out some wins. If you care about trophies I can help you boost a few of those for yourself.

6 hours ago, Yiceman said:

Sounds good. And at this point, I'm just trying to crank out the platinum trophy, but I'm more than happy to play some real matches for fun, so it's up to you. If you actually want to try and learn the game, we can do some real matches. If you don't care at all, we can just grind out some wins. If you care about trophies I can help you boost a few of those for yourself.

I’ll see. Tbh, I don’t really care to learn the game so you can just wail on me to get those wins, but if I get bored of sitting there, I may randomly throw out an uppercut to keep things spicy lol.

Edited by Mattatsu

Awww yeah, here we go. Fingers crossed for a shadow drop release date on her. I'm gonna get NO work done that day.

For real though, the fact that the show is at 3pm for some reason makes me feel like it is more likely that they're releasing her then, for some reason. It's an odd time that feels like they needed to work around when PSN was able to put out an update like that.

I might just be hyping myself up though.

Edited by Yiceman
11 minutes ago, Skort said:

Many loud mouths that cried for her  will drop her fast but I am happy for  who has been rockin' that avatar for years.

That has happend with a bunch of characters tho.

Remember as literally everyone was a Q main?

I'm skeptical for one I love Rose, but on the other hand, I know how wack this game with redesigns is and how much they hate any form of good zoning and space control, especially consistent one.

11 minutes ago, Mr.Cipher said:

I'm skeptical for one I love Rose, but on the other hand, I know how wack this game with redesigns is and how much they hate any form of good zoning and space control, especially consistent one.

I have difficulty understanding this statement after Poison's inclusion in the game. She is 1) an outstanding total redesign of a character, which is almost unanimously regarded as being cooler than the original moveset, and 2) a strong, consistent zoner and space control character.

Most of the character redesigns in this game have been good. Poison, Seth, Boxer, etc. As far as I can tell the only real dud has been Juri.

Juri's redesign ( move set ) , is not bad. It's just undertuned in every aspect so she can't shine. But most of all it was totally not needed. 

I fully expect in SF 6 she gets 3 way fireballs back and grounded senpusha with maybe keeping an aerial version of the pinwheel.   Stuff like medium fuha and ryodansatsu will be wiped in favor or returning moves or totally new ones.

That's fair, I don't think Juri is bad, by any means, she's just the closest example I could think of.

There's some other characters who, while not super strong in the meta, have re-designs that are definitely (in my opinion) more interesting and fun than their previous versions, like Vega. Juri is the only one who's redesign seems less interesting than how she used to be, regardless of how strong it is or isn't.

I just really don't see this rampant case of poor redesigns plaguing the game, so I'm unclear why this false narrative exists. Except, perhaps, that's it's being held up by people who have stayed locked in their same faulty opinions since 2016, undeterred by any amount of contradicting evidence.

46 minutes ago, Yiceman said:

I have difficulty understanding this statement after Poison's inclusion in the game. She is 1) an outstanding total redesign of a character, which is almost unanimously regarded as being cooler than the original moveset, and 2) a strong, consistent zoner and space control character.

Most of the character redesigns in this game have been good. Poison, Seth, Boxer, etc. As far as I can tell the only real dud has been Juri.

The entire System of the game discourages zoning/defensive play.

The way it is structured also discourages fundamental play and wants you to go nuts all the time.

AAs are weak and unrewarding even after the new changes.

The majority of buttons in the game are still ass.

Even after the nerfs there are still dozens of fast moves, that cover large portions of space and are safe.

Fireballs are asschecks, even Guiles isn't that great.

They're not Alpha 3 bad tho, so at least there is that.

Regarding the redesigns. They were all not needed.

But they did them anyway, since the Toolkits largely clashed with their idea of SFV.

What is that everyone needs to have the same gameplan, so they have to adjust the characters for that.

It is also why I worry to see Rose with stubby buttons no/bad fireball and some gimmick mechanic that is eitherly completly weak and gimps her or so strong that they nerf it into the ground to make it useles that way.

It's all conjecture until Rose actually comes out, from either of us. Certainly from the footage she appears to have some very long range buttons, a fireball, an air fireball,  a fireball trap, as well as solid anti air that leads to damaging combos in her EX Soul Bind. We won't know until she releases for sure, but she appears to have everything you're bemoaning she will surely lack.

But anyway, my initial point was there's no history or track record of character redesigns being weak as a rule, like you seemed to be insisting. Now it seems like you've changed that arguement from redesigns being consistently weak to simply being "not needed," which is a different thing entirely.

The few years of DLC characters released have all been really fun, interesting, or strong (in my opinion). So if you're going to declare Capcom has this history of "ruining" characters with their SFV iterations, I would say the facts disagree with you.

I do not think that SFV ruins every characters iterations. 

Ken is well done actually, they finally made him different enough from Ryu.

I also like Juris Redesign, but I would change one crutial thing.

Rework her Stores to work like Jams from GG. Juris Store Moves are not good enough to justify having to be stored. So instead, she always has acces to the moves, but storing makes them stronger.

Or she has to still store the moves, but they have to be much stronger.

The rest is a prference thing, liked Cammy more in V, than in IV.

Same with Chun and a couple of others.

I just wish I would like the game even a bit, I'm stuck playing ST and Fightcade runs like shit.

It's funny people were complaining about no zoning in SF4 too because of focus attack.  And no zoning in 3rd Strike because of parry.  This zoning argument comes up in every new SF iteration.  

I'm not really seeing it in V.  The game is aggressive for sure but Poison, Menat and Guile have all been top tier or near top tier every season.  Sim has been underrated throughout and has been a viable option.  If all the zoners in the game sucked then maybe there would be a valid argument there.  There is definitely zoning in this game - but it seems people are just missing ST or something?  Those days of turtling up and chucking 10 thousand fireballs the entire round are most likely gone.

3 hours ago, Mr.Cipher said:

It is also why I worry to see Rose with stubby buttons no/bad fireball and some gimmick mechanic that is eitherly completly weak and gimps her or so strong that they nerf it into the ground to make it useles that way.

We got some pre-release footage showing otherwise. Rose legit looks like a "Greatest Hits" version of herself.

She even got Satellite as a V-Skill. Not Trigger. V-SKILL!!!

2 hours ago, Mr.Cipher said:

I also like Juris Redesign, but I would change one crutial thing.

Rework her Stores to work like Jams from GG. Juris Store Moves are not good enough to justify having to be stored. So instead, she always has acces to the moves, but storing makes them stronger.

YES

2 hours ago, HeavensCloud said:

It's funny people were complaining about no zoning in SF4 too because of focus attack.  And no zoning in 3rd Strike because of parry.  This zoning argument comes up in every new SF iteration.  

Because it's an intentional thing Capcom does to avoid Fireballs reaching ST-levels of good again. 

2 hours ago, HeavensCloud said:

The game is aggressive for sure but Poison, Menat and Guile have all been top tier or near top tier every season.  Sim has been underrated throughout and has been a viable option.  If all the zoners in the game sucked then maybe there would be a valid argument there.  There is definitely zoning in this game - but it seems people are just missing ST or something?  Those days of turtling up and chucking 10 thousand fireballs the entire round are most likely gone.

Exactly, a lot of V-Skills are designed to avoid fireballs. This is why people talk about Zoning like that.

Menat is a zoner, sure, but she got raw hitboxes to throw around, Guile is still chucking plasma, but his plasma was straight up the best the game had to offer, fast and +oB. 

SF is never commiting to Anime-tier zoning (Which is good tbh) but on the other hand, classic ST-style zoning is constantly kept in check by system mechanics.

You can take a look at how Ryu plays in each game to have a solid idea of how much "Zoning" they want in that game.

4 hours ago, HeavensCloud said:

The game is aggressive for sure but Poison, Menat and Guile have all been top tier or near top tier every season.  Sim has been underrated throughout and has been a viable option. 

When people say a game has no zoning they don’t mean it literally doesn’t exist. In fact it would be impossible to totally eliminate it as a gameplay element as long as you have characters use tools at different ranges. 

What they (we) are really saying is that zoning do not exist as a viable strategy to win. All the characters you mention can zone, but the reason they’ve been historically performed well is because of their offensive options. Guile booms are obviously strong zoning tools but the reason he’s been top tier is because his booms were easy flow chart pressure tools and he has one of the best throw bait moves in the game. Sim can zone with his long buttons but nobody actually plays him that way...every Sim I’ve ever seen plays him hyper aggressively with gale pressure, teleports, and drills. 

The characters most reliant on their zoning to win in this game imo are Sagat and Falke, and both of them are trash. Sagats zoning would actually be pretty strong if over half the roster couldn’t ignore shots with an EX bar or by pressing MPMK. Falke has long buttons but they’re all slow as shit with mediocre damage conversions. 

8 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/support/important-notice/

And with this stupid move, Sony just handed over this gent to MS.

MAn, moving their HQ to stupidfornia surely is leading to one idiotic move to another.

You can't buy PS3 stuff but you can still access what you already got? That ain't as bad as I expected.

Tbh, I don't get why people are so mad about this. How long one expected Sony would keep the PS3 servers running with no upside and little to no profit? I guess they could've waited another year or 2 for PS5's to supply the market properly, but that doesn't affect the current gen and the PS4 anyway.

1 hour ago, Vhozite said:

When people say a game has no zoning they don’t mean it literally doesn’t exist. In fact it would be impossible to totally eliminate it as a gameplay element as long as you have characters use tools at different ranges. 

What they (we) are really saying is that zoning do not exist as a viable strategy to win. All the characters you mention can zone, but the reason they’ve been historically performed well is because of their offensive options. Guile booms are obviously strong zoning tools but the reason he’s been top tier is because his booms were easy flow chart pressure tools and he has one of the best throw bait moves in the game. Sim can zone with his long buttons but nobody actually plays him that way...every Sim I’ve ever seen plays him hyper aggressively with gale pressure, teleports, and drills. 

The characters most reliant on their zoning to win in this game imo are Sagat and Falke, and both of them are trash. Sagats zoning would actually be pretty strong if over half the roster couldn’t ignore shots with an EX bar or by pressing MPMK. Falke has long buttons but they’re all slow as shit with mediocre damage conversions. 

I don't think zoners having good offensive options is a bad thing.  Guile, Menat, Poison and Sim all have good offensive options but (depending on the matchup) are usually playing keepaway for most of the round.   They might at some point activate V-trigger and go in.   That back and forth to me is much more fun to watch than a character that is only throwing fireballs and uppercutting and doing nothing else for the entire match.  At the same time, I've literally seen Wong and Infiltration win with Menat doing nothing but st.HP, st.MP and cr.HP.

I don't see how SF3 and SF4 were any different.  And I can pretty much guarantee people will be complaining about the same thing in SF6 because Capcom is never going to make a game with ST style zoning again.  

2 hours ago, Hecatom said:

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/support/important-notice/

And with this stupid move, Sony just handed over this gent to MS.

MAn, moving their HQ to stupidfornia surely is leading to one idiotic move to another.

I got a mail with this info and, if I got it correctly, one should still be able to download everything you bought digitally before the store closed. So, I'm assuming that digital games, DLCs and patches are still going to be available with or without the store, and since all that stuff is tied to your Playstation account even if your old PS3 ends up breaking you should still be able to redownload everything on a new one once you log in.

Unfortunately sooner or later these stores had to close, but as long as they make sure that you keep complete access to everything you bought and need to play old games (such as patches) it should be fine. It would be even better if they finally started investing heavily in extending the PS5 retrocompatibility to PS3, PS2 and PS1 games (and considering that mobile phones can run PS1 and PS2 games at this point the only real problem is making PS3 stuff and its weird original infrastructure work on newer consoles), there are a lot of digital-only PS3 exclusives that would be a shame to become unavailable and it's kinda ridiculous that big Sony exclusives like the Resistance series, the Killzone series and a bunch of Ratchet and Clank games aren't supported on new hardware.

In any case I think that in the long run emulation and piracy will make sure everything will remain available in one way or another. I make searches from time to time and apparently PS3 ISOs aren't hard at all to find, with DLCs and all, but I could never try to use them because I have a shitty PC.

Time to buy Darkstalkers Resurrection and the DLCs for SFxT I guess.

1 hour ago, Dayaan said:

I'm not gay... but I've been thinking about himbos a lot lately...

That post about Brendan Fraser in The Jungle Book or Tarzan or whatever hit me hard today...

unknown.png

20 minutes ago, Dayaan said:

In other news, recent studies have found that there are other fighting games, some of which are out right now! Incredible!

Great, then I'll play some KoF15 while I wait for Strive... 

Oh. 😭

Edited by Volt
21 hours ago, Skort said:

Juri's redesign ( move set ) , is not bad. It's just undertuned in every aspect so she can't shine. But most of all it was totally not needed. 

I fully expect in SF 6 she gets 3 way fireballs back and grounded senpusha with maybe keeping an aerial version of the pinwheel.   Stuff like medium fuha and ryodansatsu will be wiped in favor or returning moves or totally new ones.

In SFV it was needed.  If she handled stores like the way she did in sf4 she would get blown up in this game with how easy it is to get around fireballs.  They're definitely afraid of making her too strong so the moves she got don't do nearly enough damage.  I do believe they help her more in the sfv meta than the old fireball stores would.  That being said I do think her sf4 moveset was a little more interesting to use.

1 hour ago, Murphy0X said:

In SFV it was needed.  If she handled stores like the way she did in sf4 she would get blown up in this game with how easy it is to get around fireballs.  They're definitely afraid of making her too strong so the moves she got don't do nearly enough damage.  I do believe they help her more in the sfv meta than the old fireball stores would.  That being said I do think her sf4 moveset was a little more interesting to use.

I disagree.

The way Juris Stores and Fireballs worked in SFIV, would make them pretty strong in SFV.

Juris Store was not just bigger, but even from a long range she would get the store on block.

Now lets just assume that there were no changes to the move and she just wouldn't have to hold the buttons to keep them stored.

Juri would get one of the best, if not the best fireball in the game, as well as one of the best if not the best pressure tool in the game, alongside one of the best if not the best comboextender in the game as well.

She would also get pretty good options overall and probably get her EX Fireballs back in that scenario.

Juris Stores from SFIV in V would be oppresive as all hell, especially with that fireball attached to it.

26 minutes ago, Volt said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if Sony flashed that sweet money for some exclusivity.

Yeah after storing Juri’s fireballs were actually really good. I’m almost certain they were comparable to sonic booms in terms of startup/recovery. 

However as discussed the issue isn’t fireball stores vs non-fb stores. The latter group could work if they were actually strong enough to justify them being resource locked. 

15 hours ago, Volt said:

You can't buy PS3 stuff but you can still access what you already got? That ain't as bad as I expected.

Tbh, I don't get why people are so mad about this. How long one expected Sony would keep the PS3 servers running with no upside and little to no profit? I guess they could've waited another year or 2 for PS5's to supply the market properly, but that doesn't affect the current gen and the PS4 anyway.

M$ isn't doing shit like this. In fact, they seem to be going out of their way to preserved all the digital content they legally can to build a strong ecosystem. Us Playstation fans want the same from Sony as their library of content drawfs Xbox live.