Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread

12 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

Can't think of many things more annoying than someone who's a grandma about hitting rematch or end battle at the post fight screen. Especially when you have limited time to play. Figure it out fuck face, I ain't got all day! 🤬

Pretty sure your reaction is exactly why they do it lol. 

But also I’m pretty sure it’s not always intentional. There have been times where by the time I see the rematch screen the other guy was somehow already waiting a few seconds.

Guilty Gear Voice Actor Steps Down To Make Room For Black Women

6e88e5a165a40269430525b27ce0226e.jpg

Erin Fitzgerald, the prolific voice actor who played Ramlethal Valentine in the Guilty Gear Xrd games, won’t be returning in the upcoming Guilty Gear Strive after stepping down to “support more work for Black actresses behind the mic.”

“I happily stepped away so they could cast more appropriately,” Fitzgerald wrote on Twitter, responding to questions about actor Laura Stahl’s recent announcement that she’ll be voicing Ramlethal instead. “The character is black. I am not black.”

“Before I accepted the role of Ramlethal, l asked for clarification on the situation, and not only do I deeply respect Erin as an actor, but as an amazing person as well,” said Stahl, who has previously voiced characters in games like Genshin Impact, Pokémon Masters, and Fire Emblem Heroes. “Thank you for your grace. You are phenomenal.”

Edited by AriesWarlock

Yeah, while a nice gesture, it’s pretty unneeded and I feel it can go badly if this would continue. It’s voice acting, the only job is that you have to be a good fit for the character. If you apply this to more roles, then Phil Lamarr would’ve never voiced Samurai Jack and Aquaman. Not to mention entire animes would have to forgoe a bunch of people, including Fitzgerald, if they were actually genuine with this.

On the other hand, I definitely like Stahl’s performance of Ramlethal over Xrd’s. Fitzgerald was terrible as her.

13 minutes ago, HD-Man said:

Listen, us black folk do NOT care about white ppl voicing us in games/cartoons, especially when the voice fits better. It's a kind gesture, but it's kinda virtue signaling, please stop doing this

Good for you guys. Now when are we reincarnating Bin Laden to voice a terrorist in the next CoD campaign? Don't tell me y'all are bigots? I want my people to be misrepresented accurately, thanks.

7 minutes ago, Pair of Rooks said:

Is Ramlethal black?

She’s not even human, so it really shouldn’t matter. But for all intents and purposes, Ramlethal is a genetic clone of another character in the series named Aria. Aria was undoubtedly white and all the other characters that are cloned from her share the same look, except for Ram who is dark skinned. Like Sonero said, it’s probably meant to evoke the ganguro trend. Which is also probably why she has colors that make her have lighter skin unlike Nagoriyuki and Giovanna.

It’s never explained in the series why she looks different, so I don’t really care what people headcanon her as as long as they don’t be assholes about it. 

2 hours ago, Sonero said:

No, most likely ganguro. Its a Japanese subcultural fashion style where the women get heavily bronze to and dye their hairs blonde:

My guy, spoiler tag that shit, it's 2am, how am I supposed to sleep now?

Also, Ram doesn't really strike me as the kind of girl that's gonna pull up to a tanning session. 🤣

She's black. Maybe without the whole culture that comes with it, which makes sense considering the context, but like, all you need is to look at her and you'll know she ain't white. 🤷‍♂️

9 hours ago, AriesWarlock said:

Spoiler

6e88e5a165a40269430525b27ce0226e.jpg

Erin Fitzgerald, the prolific voice actor who played Ramlethal Valentine in the Guilty Gear Xrd games, won’t be returning in the upcoming Guilty Gear Strive after stepping down to “support more work for Black actresses behind the mic.”

“I happily stepped away so they could cast more appropriately,” Fitzgerald wrote on Twitter, responding to questions about actor Laura Stahl’s recent announcement that she’ll be voicing Ramlethal instead. “The character is black. I am not black.”

“Before I accepted the role of Ramlethal, l asked for clarification on the situation, and not only do I deeply respect Erin as an actor, but as an amazing person as well,” said Stahl, who has previously voiced characters in games like Genshin Impact, Pokémon Masters, and Fire Emblem Heroes. “Thank you for your grace. You are phenomenal.”

I think I know whos english Voice won't even get a chance by me.

I do not support this nonsense, I want the best option for the Job, not PC bullshit.

8 hours ago, Pair of Rooks said:

Is Ramlethal black?  Nothing about how anime uses color on skin hair eyes says anything to me about supposed cultural background...

Like, redheads exist, and anime characters sometimes have hair that is red, but these things are not related.

Ram is part of what I call the Emiya group.

Characters who have bright eyes, blond/white hair and this brownish (chocolate skin), these characters are usually anomalies or special exceptions to the rules.

Fate has a bunch of them for example.

29 minutes ago, delete_me said:

IIRC the dude voicing Bison is black and nobody cares, or rather, everyone cares because the voice just fits and it'd be dumb to switch him out for a reason like this.

Bisons english voice makes my Chesthair grow at an exceptional rate and makes me buy Colgate.

11 hours ago, AriesWarlock said:

As goofy as this is, I have to give her props for putting her money where her mouth is and actually doing something that potentially puts her at great personal expense to give a black actor an opportunity. I don't think most woke white people would even consider doing something like this. 

But with that said, put me in the "Ram is black?" camp. 😂 

13 hours ago, Vhozite said:

Pretty sure your reaction is exactly why they do it lol. 

But also I’m pretty sure it’s not always intentional. There have been times where by the time I see the rematch screen the other guy was somehow already waiting a few seconds.

Depending on the game it can take a few seconds for the screens to line up if you skip the win poses. But I usually wait at least 30 sec to a minute and if nothing's happening, I leave. It's one thing if you're playing someone you know and that happens but it's annoying with randoms. 

Edited by DoctaMario
3 hours ago, delete_me said:

IIRC the dude voicing Bison is black and nobody cares, or rather, everyone cares because the voice just fits and it'd be dumb to switch him out for a reason like this.

I dislike Dictator as a character and a fighter, but I can't lie... His VA is godtier. Straight up Herculean. I think DBFZ is a cooler sounding game than SFV, but SFV's rhythm and predictable lines and sounds make it sound so damn satisfying to do things. Because DBFZ has variable voicelines, you don't get beautiful things like Marvel's "FOO- FOO- FOOTDIVE!" or SFV's Guile going, "FIRE, DOUBLE... SOMERSAULT," after a target combo. Come on, man. That's just badass.

8 hours ago, Volt said:

She's black. Maybe without the whole culture that comes with it, which makes sense considering the context, but like, all you need is to look at her and you'll know she ain't white

But she isn't. There's not enough information from her presentation to say what she is or isn't. When you already have a country that uses tanned members of its own group as a story telling motiff, things are even sketchier.

If all you'd need is a cursory look at how tanned a character is, then even Revy from Black Lagoon would be black. Oh wait, she isn't, she isn't black at all. She's Chinese. You're adding a western interpretation of race into the design of the character. At that its a pretty poor interpretation given what was mentioned earlier, she's a clone of a light skinned person. If she's black, then she's doing black face.

1 hour ago, Sonero said:

she's a clone of a light skinned person. If she's black, then she's doing black face.

spacer.png

You know what? 

This ain't a hill to die on. Whole convo got the potential to get hella weird, hella fast.

I hereby declare that Ram is an honorary Brazilian for those S-Tier thighs. 

Just now, Volt said:

Whole convo got the potential to get hella weird, hella fast.

No it didn't. The only thing weird about it is treating every character's skin color as a facsimile of only one population of the world. Why does Ramlethal have to be black as opposed to Indian? Indians are dark and there are a lot of them with that complexion. She could also be Filipino, Viet etc. You get those tones in those countries too.

Any time a character is darker than pale white, it gets co-opted as having subsaharan ancestry. Its the same with C.Viper. She has a tan so is she black? Nope, just mystery meat like the rest of the tan skin games Japan likes to play. Not like Japan is shy about things. If they want a character to be black, they'll make them black. Look at Nago, they won't hesitate from making a character be dark as hell so you know they are "black".

That VA quitting her job for somebody darker than her to get is buffoonery. Unless they are going to post Ramlethal's family history, she's just a tanned person.

I hoping for Shockdingo's thoughts but personally this bothers me. I'm not sure what the solution is to get minority VAs a fair shake but this ain't it. When I was growing up the goal was to try to get everyone an equal opportunity. Now it's locking people out opportunities. Its crazy to me. This mentality is spreading and I don't like it. Only (insert ethnicity here) can do (insert subject here) used to be considered racist. On the entertainment side of things (comics, books, games, etc.) It's going to stifle creativity. Just because I'm black doesn't mean I should be confined to writing solely about black characters. How could you write anything if every character you create has to be just like you?

Edit: Sorry for the unintentional rant. :tldr:

Edited by Darc_Requiem
8 minutes ago, Sonero said:

That VA quitting her job for somebody darker than her to get is buffoonery.

That's pretty much the core of the subject.

And the only thing that matters. And frankly, yeah, that was silly as fuck.

People don't understand that when you're doing any kind of charity, you gotta remind everyone involved of one rule: "Snitches get stitches".

The whole publicity stunt cheapens the act and makes potentially sincere acts come off as virtue signaling. 

Obviously I'm not gonna be able to think properly when sleep-deprived at 2am, especially with that nightmare fuel chick you posted, but quite frankly, I call Ram black because people call her black. I literally don't give a damn about whether or not she's black.

The one thing I'm concerned is how I'm gonna deal with her swinging those big-ass swords in neutral.

Just now, Volt said:

That's pretty much the core of the subject.

That isn't' the issue at all. The issue is the conclusion you made, which is the one the original VA made: Ramlethal, because of her tanned skin, has subsaharan ancestry.

You also should care about whether or not people are adding their own nonsense to things. Mostly because it leads to the stuff with the VA.  Hell her skin tone looks closer to Rami Malek than it does the voice actress. And then look at her:

tm1sb1n8zxf31.png

She voiced all these hella light skinned people. Is she gonna start refusing those roles? If she won't refuse those roles, then she shouldn't accept the Ramlethal one. The entire line of reasoning is wack and will continue being wack.

The conclusion that Ram is either Subsaharan or Mulatto is unfounded. This behavior is just weird virtue signaling to appease who knows who. She also has no problems playing white characters either so its all a massive non-issue.

4 minutes ago, Sonero said:

You also should care about whether or not people are adding their own nonsense to things.

17 minutes ago, Volt said:

And the only thing that matters. And frankly, yeah, that was silly as fuck.

People don't understand that when you're doing any kind of charity, you gotta remind everyone involved of one rule: "Snitches get stitches".

The whole publicity stunt cheapens the act and makes potentially sincere acts come off as virtue signaling. 

Already said my piece on that. It's a stupid ass decision and good luck finding a green asshole to voice Blanka. 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, Sonero said:

No it didn't. The only thing weird about it is treating every character's skin color as a facsimile of only one population of the world. Why does Ramlethal have to be black as opposed to Indian? Indians are dark and there are a lot of them with that complexion. She could also be Filipino, Viet etc. You get those tones in those countries too.

Any time a character is darker than pale white, it gets co-opted as having subsaharan ancestry. Its the same with C.Viper. She has a tan so is she black? Nope, just mystery meat like the rest of the tan skin games Japan likes to play. Not like Japan is shy about things. If they want a character to be black, they'll make them black. Look at Nago, they won't hesitate from making a character be dark as hell so you know they are "black".

That VA quitting her job for somebody darker than her to get is buffoonery. Unless they are going to post Ramlethal's family history, she's just a tanned person.

People called Nagataro Black.

She is Japanese, white and is tanned from doing outdoor sports a lot.

but according to Twitter she is black.

This whole racial, PC, SJW, nonsense does nothing.

It looks stupid, it is stupid and it will just damage media as a whole in the long run.

And as I said 1000 times, keep your fucking political correctness out of my bloody videogames, I don't want any of that nonsense even near my hobby!

54 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I hoping for Shockdingo's thoughts but personally this bothers me. I'm not sure what the solution is to get minority VAs a fair shake but this ain't it. When I was growing up the goal was to try to get everyone an equal opportunity. Now it's locking people out opportunities. Its crazy to me. This mentality is spreading and I don't like it. Only (insert ethnicity here) can do (insert subject here) used to be considered racist. On the entertainment side of things (comics, books, games, etc.) It's going to stifle creativity. Just because I'm black doesn't mean I should be confined to writing solely about black characters. How could you write anything if every character you create has to be just like you?

Edit: Sorry for the unintentional rant. :tldr:

If you want to see how brainfucked the Comic department currently is.

Look at Marvels new super heroes.

Gender Fluid Twins.

A Fat Black Chick, that defends Social Justice.

A green version of Cyclopse who is probably gay.

And someone who is supposed to be Trans.

DC turned Clark Kent, fucking Superman, into a Black Dude.

Edit: I also don't know if this is legit, but apparently WB fired a bunch of people for wanting Power Girl to be sexy.

Yes that Power Girl, the super busty female Cousine of Super Man, who had back in her original versions already bigger muscles than 90% of the male population on this planet.

So yes, you as a black person should only write about black people. Thats how mindfucked some people are at this point.

Edited by Mr.Cipher
Just now, Mr.Cipher said:

Yeah recent black comic book geeks in YT have negative impression with that from what I hear they said it was some sort of tokenization

There was a real black Superman, There is also the Static Shock and etc that deserve more than that.

It feels like DC is disingenuous to black community by experimenting with that approach.

Edited by Shakunetsu
18 minutes ago, Mr.Cipher said:

Edit: I also don't know if this is legit, but apparently WB fired a bunch of people for wanting Power Girl to be sexy.

Didn’t hear anything about that but I did see a dude talk about the how sexist and misogynistic manga are compared to comics because they are eclipsing them.

Said dude is the co-creator of Power Girl.

Edit: Found the post

Edited by BornWinner
14 minutes ago, Mr.Cipher said:

If you want to see how brainfucked the Comic department currently is.

Look at Marvels new super heroes.

Gender Fluid Twins.

A Fat Black Chick, that defends Social Justice.

A green version of Cyclopse who is probably gay.

And someone who is supposed to be Trans.

Yes that Power Girl, the super busty female Cousine of Super Man, who had back in her original versions already bigger muscles than 90% of the male population on this planet.

So yes, you as a black person should only write about black people. Thats how mindfucked some people are at this point.

Comics jumped the shark long, long ago.

5 minutes ago, BornWinner said:

Didn’t hear anything about that but I did see a dude talk about the how sexist and misogynistic manga are compared to comics because they are eclipsing them.

Yeah I heard about that too.

The problem is, Mangas sell and become more and more popular, because they don't try to appeal to a vocal minority, who wants their view forced upon everyone.

What appeals to more people? Fit, good looking and attractive characters? (both male and female) or Ugly ones who have the same qualitys otherwise?

It's the first.

They can call Mangas sexist and misogynistic all they like. They are jealous.

Not just that, you would also wonder why you lose more and more buyer, when a pair of anime tiddies has more character, than your entire new super hero lineup.

Anime is also getting more and more popular.

While we're at that point, Netflix will make a Anime about Yasuke.

The people in here who played Nioh, might know him as the Obsidian Samurai, the black Samurai who serves under Oda Nobunaga.

Just as a fair warning I like Yasuke as a character, if Netflix butchers him and turns it into a "I'm black, thats the whole anime!" I will personally start a Crusade against them!

12 minutes ago, Volt said:

Comics jumped the shark long, long ago.

There's a lot of great American comic books out there. Unfortunately people assume that MCU characters/ DC's animated characters are all there is to the genre. This is mostly the American Comic Book industry's fault though.

Edit: Although to the Powergirl's creator point, the twitter voices have made things be super silly. i.e. the SamSho debacle with their cheesecake character.

Edited by Sonero

I dunno if it's naive or shortsighted but voice acting was always different from on screen acting because only the voice mattered. It never bothered me who was voicing who as long as they did a great job bringing a character to life.

I just feel like these "issues" people are having are sort of inconsequential. Like last summer in the wake of the George Floyd incident, the guy who voiced Cleveland in Family Guy stepped down because of similar sentiments to Erin Fitzgerald. Which weirded me out, it felt like a TOTALLY different issue.

Like.... I never considered Ram "black" until she brought it up. In all the messed up shit in this world, does that *really* change anything? Just seems a bit disingenuous. 

Anyways thought I'd chime in because voice acting is a big deal for me sorry okay byeeeeeeeeeeeee~

2 hours ago, Mr.Cipher said:

People called Nagataro Black.

She is Japanese, white and is tanned from doing outdoor sports a lot.

but according to Twitter she is black.

This whole racial, PC, SJW, nonsense does nothing.

It looks stupid, it is stupid and it will just damage media as a whole in the long run.

And as I said 1000 times, keep your fucking political correctness out of my bloody videogames, I don't want any of that nonsense even near my hobby!

It's wild to me that even in fantasy/fictional contexts, people are still bound and determined to carry over the same problems we have in real life. 

2 hours ago, BornWinner said:

Edit: Found the post

And he's getting justifiably cooked. I wonder do these people actually believe these takes or are they posting what they think people want to hear.

2 minutes ago, Shakunetsu said:

Goku was voice by a female in Japan

here in the philippines ASH ketchum is also voice by a teen female in Pokemon cartoon

I wonder what would happen later of that issue would be later on about gender thing.

Here in the US. No one, on Twitter, would care. Now if guys were voicing female characters, they'd lose their collective minds.

Editing a new video. This time is it mostly concerning 3D fighting games. 

I will sprinkle a SFV match in the Interlude section. It may be one or two matches sets, depending on the time frames (I would have to win two match sets in a row to slip in two matches). When the SFV interlude does happen, I'll administrate the matches with Rose and reintroduce the Soul Powah onto the hapless online warriors. 

Otherwise, the rest of the video will consist of 3D fighting game matches. I will slip in a least one or two *very* quick SFV matches in the interlude sections. 

This may also be the last video will not do commentary on. 

So when the time comes for GDH's Game Room, get your popcorn, booze, water, sodas, or dinner plates ready. Make sure y'all are sittin' cozy in y'all's homes or seating areas and prepare for some traditional FG asswhoopin's. 

12 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Looks like Najd to me. What do you guys think?

Ralph and clark for sure imo, you can see clarks hat brim on the right and ralphs bandana head on the left. Gonna be a two for one deal like Ryo and Robert, bet they do the same for Vice and mature or other duo type characters. The real sauce is that they aren't gonna be on team with Leona I bet.