Stage Select

The MEGASHOCK Saloon Thread 3: Chinder Chagger Edition

I'd say... MJ for sure.

but seriously, folks---definitely Michael Jackson.  He had universal appeal that seemed to go beyond the context of "just" being a top-rank pop music star... from childhood to his adult years he would be one of the most fascinating celebs ever.... of course partly because he was also a strange character.  One of the first things that comes to mind when most think of 80s pop culture is Michael Jackson and his music.

On my way to pick up a pizza, I noticed they were playing that "Running Up that Hill" song on the radio.  It's strange that I somehow missed out on that song until now.  Yep, I had never heard it until this current Stranger Things season.  The big scene it was used for was also one of the most emotionally moving things I've seen on a show or movie in the past several years.  That shit was incredible for so many reasons.  It's unlikely I'm sure, but I'm hoping they produce a series collection on blu-ray after this or perhaps after season 5 since I guess it will indeed go to a 5th season.

This song will forever be connected to that scene now, in my mind.  

56 minutes ago, BB_Hoody said:

Who had the bigger impact? 80s Micheal Jackson or 90s Micheal Jordan? Based on

Impact on their industry/proffession

Impact on American society

Impact internationally

Jackson easily, a global megastar. Jordan was famous outside of the states for a brand of Nike trainer, like you cant go from a mainstream thing like music and compare it against a sport very little people give a shit about heh.

8 hours ago, Reticently said:

It would be hell on a cellphone battery too, even when nothing goes wrong. 

i wasnt thnking of a phone model where every single model had a heating coil installed. i was just thinking of a smokers edition. sorta like baclk in the day when you had a choice of smoking or non smoking plane flights. 

31 minutes ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

I'd think about it.  Like it would cross my mind but in the end I would report it to my bank and work.  I'd think I would be committing a crime and that would stop me from keeping the money and running.

I think if I lived somewhere where that was the standard of living (and I'm living in a fantasy action movie world), I would have quit immediately, gathered my things and my family, and run off somewhere for a better life where they can't extradite you. If they catch you, you just shrug it off, play dumb, and maybe get away with it lol 😃

3 hours ago, Crucades said:

Within Temptation did the best cover. I remember somebody said it was the shitty Placebo version and the dude got shot.

Million just trying to flex his blackness by saying he never heard of Kate Bush, that shit is impossible.

Haven't heard of Within Temptation in a while. I liked a bit Ice Queen. Then they tried to be Evanescence 2.0 🤨

5 hours ago, BB_Hoody said:

Damn I forgot who I had this debate with on Shoryuken. But it seems this is still a topic for debate

Team wash cloth by the way. Washing between your cheeks with your bare hands. Miss me with that savagery.

that dude is def part of team: take a shower once a week/month

There's a Twilight Zone marathon on as usual for this holiday... current episode is one of those where the actual Devil shows up to help a guy save his failing newspaper.  I always thought it would be cool to have that kind of supernatural power to make "infernal deals" like that with people... I'd gladly play that role of a "Devil" or "Djinn" that appears out of nowhere for those who are desperate enough to make a deal... even if the cost is their very soul and integrity.  Their cost would be simple if it's me.... just become a servant for whatever plans I may have in the near future.   Everyone has their price... I'd enjoy seeing how far people will go to get certain things they desire the most.

That reminds me, that one time on The Simpsons when Homer actually sold his soul to the Devil (who was Flanders!) for 1 more donut....then he made sure to *not* actually finish eating it to try and cheat the deal. 😆 That was one of the funniest moments of that whole series for me.

14 minutes ago, BornWinner said:

I’m not sure what year that image was made, but I think this was around the time he could only leap tall buildings in a single bound. He couldn’t always fly.

By the way the S is drawn it looks like Silver Age and he could fly.  Clearly what is happening in this panel is Superman is letting Robin save the girl.  Superman is always Super and that even applies to being a Wingman.

1 hour ago, BornWinner said:

I’m not sure what year that image was made, but I think this was around the time he could only leap tall buildings in a single bound. He couldn’t always fly.

Silverage superman is notoriously broken. He literally had a superpower to solve every problem. The reason why people couldnt fogure out he was clark kent was he literally had mind powers to trick you lol. 

...but then if modern-day writers in Hollywood... particularly anyone in Disney and WB/CW wrote a story about that pic with Superman, Batman and Robin... the heroes would suddenly not know what the hell they were doing, and fall into the water.  The woman would then save herself and go back to rescue the 3 helpless "heroes", because yeah that'll strike one more blow at the evil patriarchy, obviously.  She then goes back in time a bit with Flash-level Speedforce shenanigans to deflect the bullet that was intended for Dr. Martin Luther King, saving the day there... then she time-travels again to single-handedly stop the rise of Hitler and also solve world hunger...then becomes the next President. Superman shakes her hand and admits "heh, I guess the world doesn't need the entire Justice League since they have you, and other real heroes out there like Wonder Woman and Black Canary, obviously.  You're little ladies are just so much better than us.  We are not worthy to even stand in your presence."  

It goes on to win all the Academy awards that year.

On 7/2/2022 at 7:17 PM, MillionX said:

I couldn't believe it.... today I found the movie LIFEFORCE on 4k!!!  I didn't even know that existed in 4k anywhere!  Ohhhh yeah that got snatched up immediately.  This other Best Buy I went to still has a good movie/tv section for some strange reason.  I also snagged 300 and The Thing.... so 3 amazing 4ks added to the collection just like that.  I'll definitely be back again some time later... they had some Star Wars movies, Black Panther and several other things of note I need to get in 4k....I already racked up a pricey bill just with the aforementioned three movies.  

Really, I'm still taken aback that a 4k version of Lifeforce was even a thing that's available... I figured that would only ever be on dvd and you'd probably have to order it online since it's a a bit obscure.... I think most people today either forgot that movie existed a long time ago or never heard of it in the first place.

Wait they made Lifeforce in 4K...WTF man. I'd buy a copy if I saw it too.

All of you in California are going to get some extra money

California approved ‘inflation relief’ stimulus payments. Here's who is eligible — and who isn't
It’s official: Most Californians will get one-time "inflation relief" payments. Here's who is eligible for stimulus payments and when they’ll arrive.

Californians who filed their taxes in 2020 will get one-time payments totaling about $9.5 billion from the state starting in October to help offset rising inflation: https://bit.ly/3bJswV9

The bill called these stimulus payments “Better for Families Refunds,” but the tax board is calling them “Middle Class Tax Refunds,” even though couples making up to $500,000 in 2020 adjusted gross income and individuals making up to $250,000 are eligible.

To get a refund, residents must have filed a 2020 California tax return by Oct. 15, 2021. They also need to meet the income requirements.

For single filers, the refund will be:
• Income of $75,000 or less: $700 with a dependent/$350 without
• Income of $75,001 to $125,000: $500 with a dependent/$250 without
• Income of $125,001 to $250,000: $400 with a dependent/$200 without

For joint filers, the refund will be:
• Income of $150,000 or less: $1,050 with a dependent/$700 without
• Income of $150,001 to $250,000: $750 with a dependent/$500 without
• Income of $250,001 to $500,000: $600 without a dependent/$400 without

Biden and Bezos have been squarely at odds on the subject of inflation since May. Previously, the Amazon founder ripped the president for arguing that increased corporate taxes would bring down inflation.

“Raising corp taxes is fine to discuss,” Bezos wrote. “Taming inflation is critical to discuss. Mushing them together is just misdirection.”

The White House fired back — accusing Bezos of looking out for his own self-interest.

“It doesn’t require a huge leap to figure out why one of the wealthiest individuals on Earth opposes an economic agenda for the middle class that cuts some of the biggest costs families face, fights inflation for the long haul, and adds to the historic deficit reduction the president is achieving by asking the richest taxpayers and corporations to pay their fair share,” White House spokesperson Andrew Bates said. “It’s also unsurprising this tweet comes after the president met with labor organizers, including Amazon employees.”

"Hey we're dealing with very high levels of inflation due to all the excess money being printed over the past decade. And given out during the pandemic. Screwing up  supply and demand. The people need help."

"There's only one thing we can do to help" 

"PRINT MORE MONEY! GIVE IT TO THE PEOPLE!"

"But that's gonna put more money in circulation. Which is gonna encourage more spending. Which increases demand that current supply can't meet. This makes inflation worse"

"PRINT.MORE.MONEEEEEEEEEEEYYYY!!!

Edited by BB_Hoody
50 minutes ago, BB_Hoody said:

"Hey we're dealing with very high levels of inflation due to all the excess money being printed over the past decade. And given out during the pandemic. Screwing up  supply and demand. The people need help."

"There's only one thing we can do to help" 

"PRINT MORE MONEY! GIVE IT TO THE PEOPLE!"

"But that's gonna put more money in circulation. Which is gonna encourage more spending. Which increases demand that current supply can't meet. This makes inflation worse"

"PRINT.MORE.MONEEEEEEEEEEEYYYY!!!

It's really hard for me to reconcile this with the fact that Bezos apparently makes 205 million dollars a day, but that doesn't create any inflation at all apparently? 

That's not even counting all the other billionairs and stock assholes who make millions a day. It only creates inflation when we give poor people money. 

😑

Edited by RSG3