Stage Select

The MEGASHOCK Saloon Thread 3: Chinder Chagger Edition

2 hours ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

Saw this in an article. . . 

Line for Splash Mountain on the final day. 

Ha Ha Ha Lol GIF

Nostalgia for that ride can't be hitting that hard.

One ride I honestly wish I did get to get one last ride on was Back to the Future

The ride itself starts at 25:15. The aesthetic, the film's actors reprising the roles, the score, the time travel components within the vehicle all brought it to the next level. Watching it now, the modeling seems a bit dated but it's still one one my favorite ride sims that I've ever been on.

Bruv working at the theme park for 12 years and yes nostalgia DOES hit hard for Disney peeps. Hardcore Disney peeps shockingly don't like the park to change. Actually rather for most of them I suspect it's about preserving their childhood memories of the park regardless of the era they grew up in. I don't care for log rides period (I don't like the idea of getting wet on any ride) and the exact same ride system won't change so this update is meh on me. I'm not going to ride it even with a new theme. 

The Socal one is still available...for a bit longer. No one has been given a date for the permanent closure yet. 

41 minutes ago, TheInfernoman said:

Bruv working at the theme park for 12 years and yes nostalgia DOES hit hard for Disney peeps. Hardcore Disney peeps shockingly don't like the park to change. Actually rather for most of them I suspect it's about preserving their childhood memories of the park regardless of the era they grew up in. I don't care for log rides period (I don't like the idea of getting wet on any ride) and the exact same ride system won't change so this update is meh on me. I'm not going to ride it even with a new theme. 

The Socal one is still available...for a bit longer. No one has been given a date for the permanent closure yet. 

2 hours ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

Saw this in an article. . . 

Line for Splash Mountain on the final day. 

Ha Ha Ha Lol GIF

Nostalgia for that ride can't be hitting that hard.

One ride I honestly wish I did get to get one last ride on was Back to the Future

The ride itself starts at 25:15. The aesthetic, the film's actors reprising the roles, the score, the time travel components within the vehicle all brought it to the next level. Watching it now, the modeling seems a bit dated but it's still one one my favorite ride sims that I've ever been on.

Speaking of, the usual suspects are making stupid articles

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-news/splash-mountain-disney-adults-racist-ride-1234666556/

Some Disney Adults Can’t Let Racist Splash Mountain Go

11 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Speaking of, the usual suspects are making stupid articles

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-news/splash-mountain-disney-adults-racist-ride-1234666556/

Some Disney Adults Can’t Let Racist Splash Mountain Go

LOL at rolling stone, The ride itself has nothing to do with the "offensive" parts of the movie. Just the animals. 

I have never been to Disney Land, or Disney World or Disney Labor Camp. I know they have locations all around the world, but I've never been. What in the hell is so appealing about these amusement parks? Can someone please explain to a non-American?

Please refrain from arguing in their favor by using Dragon Ball theme parks as an alternative possibility that I would surely go to. That is an unfair argument and you don't get to win this war that easily.

1 hour ago, Dayaan said:

I have never been to Disney Land, or Disney World or Disney Labor Camp. I know they have locations all around the world, but I've never been. What in the hell is so appealing about these amusement parks? Can someone please explain to a non-American?

Please refrain from arguing in their favor by using Dragon Ball theme parks as an alternative possibility that I would surely go to. That is an unfair argument and you don't get to win this war that easily.

Some people like to jump out of a plane, some climb mountains, I just like being strapped into a high speed noodle train that goes upside down once in a while. It's hard to explain to someone without you having a frame of reference so you would need to go once to understand. 

43 minutes ago, elliephil said:

So crazy that Splash Mountain was a premiere ride for Disney Land when the movie was basically scrubbed from existence. That's like saying "Look! I'm so proud to show my Argentinean heritage!" and then hiding the fact your grandfather mysteriously moved from Germany to there in 1945.

You're saying that like every other Disney movie was "clean" but in fact were based on very dark/depressing fairy tales. It's actually on brand for Disney to scrub clean things to make a buck. Point is, the ride is merely based on the stories told by Uncle Remus and as such only involves the animated portions. Movie can be found in other countries just not here in the US. 

Even so Uncle Remus in Song of the South a black man, was teaching lessons to a bunch of white kids...for it's time, that was pretty progressive. 

1 minute ago, TheInfernoman said:

Movie can be found in other countries just not here in the US. 

Even so Uncle Remus in Song of the South a black man, was teaching lessons to a bunch of white kids...for it's time, that was pretty progressive. 

As someone who has watched it, I feel that the controversy around is way out of proportion.

What is sad is that due the controversy people are erasing a movie that can be considered historic since because of it, the actor of uncle Remus got an oscar (honorary or something like that), and there was some nice cinematography things done for one of his songs, the one he won the oscar iirc, where to  get the effect of him entering the world of the tale, they waited for the sunrise, with uncle Remus under a blanket, synchronizing his reveal so when the shot was filmed it looked like an explosion of color.

Also, something to take note, is that a lot of people who saw it as a kid, still remember it fondly, even black folks, since for the time like you said it was progressive

People are so obssesed with scrubbing the past for deeming it problematic, ignoring the context, and that perhaps, it is a good thing to have things around to let us know what steps we have took be good or bad and how it has helped shape our current world.

25 minutes ago, TheInfernoman said:

You're saying that like every other Disney movie was "clean" but in fact were based on very dark/depressing fairy tales. It's actually on brand for Disney to scrub clean things to make a buck. Point is, the ride is merely based on the stories told by Uncle Remus and as such only involves the animated portions. Movie can be found in other countries just not here in the US. 

I'm more so alluding to the fact that Disney has tried to erase the movie from existence while still keeping the ride open (until a few days ago) with very clear ties to the source material. It's very on point for Disney as you said.

5 hours ago, Dayaan said:

I'll let InfernoMan talk about the parks he worked at. Having worked at Magic Kingdom, there's a few things to it. The first is that your immersed in these surroundings made by stuff that gave you a massive dopamine high. It won't be exactly a religious experience, but for some people it can sort of be. When you go to the parks, its a physical manifestation of all these movies you grew up with.

Then there's the part of your brain that triggers when you play which also gets triggered by it. The make believe is all around it. This is in particular to the character. Its weird to have an emotional reaction to people in suits but you can. My first day at the parks I ran into Baloo. That shit short circuited by my brain in a weird way. Because until I saw the person dressed up as Baloo, I didn't know that the character had been such a warm memory for my childhood. Gave Baloo the biggest mothefucking hug while apologizing to the person inside.

The last thing is that...while they appear bizarre and outwordly, at least for Magic Kingdom over at Walt Disney World (this is the park in Florida), that park is really beautiful. The problem is that you don't really get a sense of the space when the park is open. First light of the morning when very few people are there, you get to really appreciate all the detail that went into everything. Its not really the same as going to a carnival where its just rides and people selling you stuff. This is a massive multi-sense undertaking that even took into consideration what the chairs would look like.

There can be a lot to the experience. Unfortunately its at its best when park numbers are low.

For a good number of those Disney Adults, those movies and shows where their actual parents, Disney raised those people while their rents where busy doing whatever else they where doing. 

Going to Disneyland and seeing Goofy or whatever is like finally meeting the person who taught you your world view and how to treat others. Say what you will about money grabbing Disney, they've managed to raise a generation of empathetic adults. 

3 hours ago, Hecatom said:

As someone who has watched it, I feel that the controversy around is way out of proportion.

I agree with you although you can say it has the essence of the "magical negro" trope. 

4 hours ago, Hecatom said:

People are so obssesed with scrubbing the past for deeming it problematic, ignoring the context, and that perhaps, it is a good thing to have things around to let us know what steps we have took be good or bad and how it has helped shape our current world.

I agree that the past shouldn't be scrubbed but there are contexts where it is appropriate. Being from SC, monuments and statues being removed from government property for the obvious racial sentiment was one thing. This hits differently. It's not like Disney is trying to hide this classic.

The other thing with Splash Mountain is just that very few people under 40 will have ever even seen the IP it's referencing.  Yeah, that means that it takes an explanation to get to the connection to racism, but it also means the ride shills for content the company will never put out merch for.

I was way more disappointed by the Depp-ification of the Pirates of the Caribbean ride.  Old time-y, kind of bawdy Pirates was a much more interesting experience.

Not that I've been to any of the parks in more than 20 years- but it feels kind of inevitable that I'll have to drag my kids there once they're in the peak age range.

WE ARE ON PAGE 666TH!!

Born with the mark, the devil's fucking sign
The powers from hell soon will be mine
Kill at first sight, evil in my blood
Satanic blasphemies killing all that's good

Death and destruction fire is my tool
Following Jesus? You're a fucking fool
Invert the cross, destroy your church
Evil will reign on this fucking earth

666, 666, 666
666, 666, 666

Mark of the beast rises from my skin
Rape a fucking nun! Ungodly sin
Attacking the priest as he stands in fear
Slit his fucking throat, ear to fucking ear

Death and destruction fire is my tool
Following Jesus? You're a fucking fool
Invert the cross, destroy your church
Evil will reign on this fucking earth

666, 666, 666
666, 666, 666
666, 666, 666
666, 666, 666
666, 666, 666
666, 666, 666

AAAAAAAARGH!!!!!! 🤘👿🤘

Something I was thinking about recently is why there are fewer comedy films being released in theatres in the USA.

Youve got the various superhero/action/scifi blockbusters coming out , low budget horror films , but pure comedies seem to have reduced.

Is it because they don't make gangbusters like MCU etc?

The general public feels that they re more suited to tv/streaming platforms and are not worth paying extra to see them on the big screen?

Hollywood actors/writers/directors have lost interest?

The blockbusters have a lot of comedy elements written into their scripts so the need for pure comedies is much less?

Other?

Everything you said. A truly funny comedy is really hard to nail, and people will not turn up like they would a blockbuster in the first place. Movies have to make more to be seen as worth it nowadays, unless they can be made dirt cheap.

Also, though it's dying down, I imagine this offended by everything era is still something to consider. A movie that's all jokes has a high chance of pissing off more people who will scream on twitter. If the movie is super good, it won't matter, but anything with problematic jokes that isn't that funny might suffer. Whether or not this is a true thing to worry about, no one wants to risk millions on that. I imagine we'll see a lot more comedies are going to streaming in the coming years.

Edited by axeman61
1 hour ago, DangerousJ said:

Something I was thinking about recently is why there are fewer comedy films being released in theatres in the USA.

Youve got the various superhero/action/scifi blockbusters coming out , low budget horror films , but pure comedies seem to have reduced.

The general public feels that they re more suited to tv/streaming platforms and are not worth paying extra to see them on the big screen?

The blockbusters have a lot of comedy elements written into their scripts so the need for pure comedies is much less?

Other?

Movies have to play in China now too and I think the language/humor barrier accounts for some of it, especially with how wry wordplay doesn't always translate

Edited by DoctaMario

Movies playing to China is a fools errand. At any time, for the most arbitrary of reasons or no reason at all, China can deny a movies release. Catering to a market that may deny the sale of your product is dumb. They should assume the film won't be released in China and budget accordingly. That way if China allows it in, any money made is a bonus.

It sounds like something that would be disgusting, but the "goat cheese and spinach" pizza I got from Target a few days ago was pretty damn awesome... in addition to that aforementioned combo it also had tomato slices.  It was from their own brand, "Good & Gather"... usually you find all the good food stuff in the "Super Target" instead of the regular stores.  This will definitely become a new regular choice for me.  

Lately from the frozen "store-bought" category I've only gone for the Paul Newman brand...  the big 2 DiGiorno and Freschetta (the previous top rank picks of this category, imo) have been inconsistent in quality over the past few years.  

I'm getting more of my food from there at this point... they also had this pack of parmesan chicken breast cutlets; I finished the last 1 of them yesterday (4 in a box; for 12 bucks), and oh yes...that shit was a 10 out of 10.  Legend status right there....doesn't even take long to cook up....about 25 to 30 minutes or so in the oven.

Edited by MillionX
4 hours ago, DangerousJ said:

Other?

I think that is a combination of multiple factors.

The current political landscape in usa makes it that certain types of comedies, which used to be the ones that did better on theaters are not seen favorably by the industry (I am sure a great portion of the public would still find them funny), therefore they are less willing to make this kind of movies.

The comedy films that have managed to be released have been financial bombs (like most of Amy Shummer movies for example)

This goes in hand with a subset, the romantic comedies, also doing badly.

Pure comedy movies have to compete with movies with more production values and more publicity that have started to implement comedy into them, like marvel movies, action movies like Bullet Train, etc, and those movies had troubles, so it makes studios less interested in pursuing a theater release for any comedy movie.

Like you mentioned, there has been a change in the market, with streaming becoming more predominant, specially after covid, so is less risky to release them direct to streaming.

Tying in to that point, is more lucrative to pursue a comedy series than a comedy movie, so I wouldn't think that is not that they lost interest, but due the current market, is more likely they go for a more lucrative opportunity.

Then there is another point.

Right now, it is known that studios are less willing to greenlit original projects than projects using existing IPs.

Suffice to say, this kind of mentality can hinder the opportunities for new comedy projects.

As a related tangent, look how they massacred Scooby with Veelma.

We don't have much pre production info, but who knows if the project started as a new ip that had the Scooby universe shoehorned because otherwise it wouldn't have seen the light of day.

This was the last time SNL was hilarious to me... the Debbie Downer character was gold... I cracked up non-stop when I saw this character:

In her debut here, you can see the others in the scene are having trouble keeping it together

*side bonus---this was about 2004; as you can see, it's back when Lindsay Lohan was still seriously hot

Edited by MillionX