Stage Select

The MEGASHOCK Saloon Thread 3: Chinder Chagger Edition

have any of you seen in real life the 500 dollar bill? or the 1,000 dollar bill?

i remember my dad brought home the 500 dollar bill. him and my mom stared at it for a long while checking to see if it was real. it was. 

my dad also showed me the famous 2 dollar bill and the blue 1 dollar bill tha got printed in the kennedy years. just curious.

cuz we never see these bills these days. like the 50 cent coin. you never see em anymore.

Steve Harvey Cringe GIF by ABC Network

Like I want to be curious about...what the bill is that he's making the "amendment" to but I'm 95% sure he said this fully expecting it to go over well fully knowing what that sounds like.  There's probably very few things that knowing more context could spin this into it not being what it is.

Edit:  And apparently this guy wants to change John Lewis Way to Trump Blvd so...yeah I'd say the Venn Diagram tracks on that.

Edited by Sonichuman
1 hour ago, DoctaMario said:

Before when there was some kind of widespread illness, people would listen to the CDC, the who, the health department, etc. Even if people didn't trust the government per se, they'd still at least listen to those organizations, but I think that's out the window for a lot of people now post covid.

Not really. They wouldn't mask up before any info on where Covid came from, anti-vax was on a massive rise before Covid, shit can barely get people tonwash their fucking hands. Trumps administration just took at a hammer to an already  massively cracked dam.

4 hours ago, axeman61 said:

Did he go far at all though? It DID stick with him a bit; otherwise don't bring it up. But that shit didn't seem like much beyond playful jabbing. Maybe my social cues aren't good, and maybe I didn't see the whole video. But I really thought it would be a bit crazier from what I was hearing.

Keep in mind where he's at. He knew all he needed was that minor jab. MBJs career was the best revenge to this gal. He's at the top, young successful and well liked. Enough said. 

53 minutes ago, TheInfernoman said:

Keep in mind where he's at. He knew all he needed was that minor jab. MBJs career was the best revenge to this gal. He's at the top, young successful and well liked. Enough said. 

Living well after you have leveled up is the best revenge on a female.  That and pointing out how fat your ex has gotten to her face.  God damn, there really is nothing better than that.

3 hours ago, RSG3 said:

Not really. They wouldn't mask up before any info on where Covid came from, anti-vax was on a massive rise before Covid, shit can barely get people tonwash their fucking hands. Trumps administration just took at a hammer to an already  massively cracked dam.

I'm talking about in the years before covid. People were more apt to listen to government/health organization recommendations than they will be now because they all screwed the pooch on covid.

6 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

I'm talking about in the years before covid. People were more apt to listen to government/health organization recommendations than they will be now because they all screwed the pooch on covid.

Yea and I'm saying we where headed this way for a long fucking while, distrust in gov and our organizations has been festering for 30+ years and to blame it entirely on the Gov Response to Covid is to ignore all the signs leading up to it. Anti-Vax sentiment was spreading long before Clvid ever got here, and distrust in the Gov has been around even longer. This is the outcome of a long standing and festering symptom in this country, I've gotten into debates with you about the sad pathetic state of American Health Care for the average citizen and you tell me I'm wrong, that our Health Care is the best in the world when it's fucking is not. It doesnt matter how good the actual mecical care is if almost no one can actually afford to have it. This lewds to distrust because people have little experience with it, they resent not being able to get it and anyone involved, or they do get it and have a huge debt to oay back which is an entirely different kind of sickness. You trade one for another instead of getting better. This is a huge ass long standing problem and if you think it's a recent development because of Covid and Trump deciding its better to lie and try to ignore it then actually do anything then you haven't truly been paying attention imo. 

Edited by RSG3
57 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Yea and I'm saying we where headed this way for a long fucking while, distrust in gov and our organizations has been festering for 30+ years and to blame it entirely on the Gov Response to Covid is to ignore all the signs leading up to it. Anti-Vax sentiment was spreading long before Clvid ever got here, and distrust in the Gov has been around even longer. This is the outcome of a long standing and festering symptom in this country, I've gotten into debates with you about the sad pathetic state of American Health Care for the average citizen and you tell me I'm wrong, that our Healrh Care is the best in the world when it's fucking is not. It doesnt matter how good the actual mecical care is if almost no one can actually afford to have it.This is a huge ass long standing problem and if you think it's a recent development because of Covid and Trump deciding its better to lie and try to ignore it then actually do anything then you haven't truly been paying attention imo. 

I didn't blame the entirety of it on covid, I'm saying it nosedived because of the response. I know distrust in government wasn't a new thing, anti vax sentiment wasn't a new thing, and that not everybody listened to the organizations I mentioned, but trust in all those has gone way down, and if/when another pandemic happens, it's going to be bad because half the country will be distrustful of these organizations. 

And I don't recall any debates we've had about health care, but the American health care system IS one of the best in the world. There's a reason people come here to have procedures done and why foreign students will come here to go to med school. Whether it's THE best or not, I don't know and don't care because it doesn't matter from where I'm sitting.

It's extremely telling that foreigners can get our Healthcare but most Americans can not. It doesn't matter how good the health care is when the majority of its citizens can't get it without going broke. It not good when it doesn't help the majority of its citizens.  Medical skill and knowledge may be some of the best in the world but the qctual care we get? It's garbage. Americans leave America to get health care. My gfs daughter goes to Mexico for dental care because it won't bankrupt her mother and father to get braces there. People in America buy their medicine from Canada. Americans go elsewhere for medical care while foreigners come here for it. Tells you basically everything. 

And maybe a nosedive is what we needed. We are awake to the problem now instead of pretending it was a fringe issue like before. It was pretty annoying being one of the few people talking about how shitty Healthcare in this country is for the majority of people living here is, now everyone's talking about it. Not saying Covid was good, but the social conversations to spawn from it really have been and have shown a real light on how shitty this country treats the majority of its citizens. From Gov all the way down businesses, Covid exposed how woefully shitty almost all these isntitutions and the people running them really are. 

You're right trust is down, down where it probably should be. A good first step in rebuilding trust in the medical systems and community is to reform the systems so people can actually engage with and use the services. As it currently stands most can't without going broke. 

Edited by RSG3
13 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

It matters mainly because they spent months lying about it only to turn around and admit it. They should have just stuck to their guns and never admitted it, because if there's another pandemic, half the country is going to disbelieve whatever the official story is because the way covid was handled was so beyond incompetent on so many levels.

It also matters because if it's true that covid was engineered, it means the America  government was involved in the creation of something that killed millions that could have been avoided simply by not doing the kind of research Fauci swore was t being done.

So you're right that it doesn't matter in terms of the discussion, but it matters in terms of government trust taking a nosedive which is going to be really bad in the future.

Who are you claiming admitted what exactly?  I don't know what you've seen, but I'm pretty sure the recent news is that 2 Federal agencies recently changed their official stance to being of the opinion that CoVid probably came through the lab, 2 Federal agencies are still of the opinion that it didn't, and literally every other Federal agency has no official opinion.  Now I can only assume that the only people working their way through the laundry list of agencies to ask them all their individual opinions on this are journalists looking for outrageous headlines, but let's set that aside.

Of the 4 agencies that have opinions, 2 do biology as their full time jobs, and the other 2 either have a recent public scandal for leaking classified battery technology to China, or would have been responsible for preventing a leak of classified technology to China.  So why the sudden change of public stance on a Chinese lab, who can say?

And what exactly are those 4 opinions?  That they think things are more likely to have happened one way, or more likely to have happened the other way.  Literally none of them have suggested they actually can say what happened, just released whatever the guy in charge of having the final say for the agency feels comfortable stating is their best guess.

As for whether CoVid was "engineered", the whole genome of original flavor CoVid-19 has been available for public download for years.  It's easily within the realm of your technical acumen (because I know that you're an experienced Linux user) to download it and run it for relatedness against the reference files for the genomes of every corona virus that ever bounced past a scientist, using research grade open source software that's been available for decades.

I'm not suggesting that *you* personally do this (though you could).  My point is that the technical barrier to looking at this stuff is trivial.  And with probably thousands of people who more or less know what they're doing having looked at it, there's no consensus that it was engineered.  There are none of the smoking guns that would be a dead give away, like reporter genes you put in when gene editing to tell if your edits worked.  Instead, we live in a world where the absolute experts on this stuff look at that sequence and disagree on how to interpret extremely subtle shit.  So if someone deliberately created CoVid-19, they are the Walter Whites of genetic engineering, and what the fuck are they doing working for less than 6 figures in a Chinese lab when they could be living as demi-gods working for pharma?

To me, it's a coin-toss as to whether it's likely to have gone through the lab, but even if it did go through the lab the strong Occam's Razor is that the only malicious thing that happened is that some lab tech picked his nose at the wrong time.

Edited by Reticently

Y'know...I only went there 2 times when I was a little kid, if memory serves correct.. and it was called "Showbiz Pizza" back then... under the name "Showbiz", the main mascot character was a bear named "Billy Bob".

The main draw for me was the games....the pizza was forgettable.

In later years they eventually redesigned Chuck E. and it's a better character design, imo...it looks more like a rat from a Pixar film, if I recall.  ...but perhaps due to nostalgia bias, I always remember and prefer it being "Showbiz" featuring the Billy Bob mascot, with Chuck being one of the side characters.

*oh yeah and the toys---I don't remember any of the toys I got with those tickets, so those were mostly forgettable too.

Debbie Downer moment though----imagine the people who made this their career....and we see how far it's dropped at this point; sometimes I forget that place still exists.  ...but imagine being there for years and working your way up to middle management level, maybe even "general manager" or area manager....at Chuck E. Cheese of all places.  

Edited by MillionX

Seems like I can't shake the way I feel about this adorable lady in which I've been pondering about. She was the one that gotten me to reconsider her, due to disagreeing with my own long-term solitude. We're both into the polysexual life. This could prove fulfilling to the both of us. I look forward to seeing how this goes.

Edited by Emptyeyes_
56 minutes ago, Emptyeyes_ said:

Seems like I can't shake the way I feel about this adorable lady in which I've been pondering about. She was the one that gotten me to reconsider her, due to disagreeing with my own long-term solitude. We're both into the polysexual life. This could prove fulfilling to the both of us. I look forward to seeing how this goes.

Not gonna lie dude this sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.  There's a good chance you are dealing with a girl who has borderline personality disorder.

2 hours ago, Reticently said:

Who are you claiming admitted what exactly?

The mainstream press and social media having a reckoning about it is important. Facebook was censoring posts that discussed it and Twitter was uncooperative in clarifying their covid misinformation policy, people were called racists, Trumpers, etc. Now that a mainstream publication has published a story admitting it's a very likely case, we can actually try to get to the bottom of it, which we could have done a year and a half ago when it was first floated. 

The government itself could have done a better job tamping this down, especially because we know they were in contact with the press and social media behind the scenes.

As for it being engineered, its the idea that they were potentially juicing an already existing virus. Maybe I missed it, but has that theory been entirely disproven? Fauci said they weren't doing gain of function research and as far as I'm aware, that got outed as a lie. So if I'm wrong, correct me. I'd like to know. 

18 minutes ago, J-ride said:

Not gonna lie dude this sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.  There's a good chance you are dealing with a girl who has borderline personality disorder.

The interesting part about that disorder is that I've went through plenty of those people and can't ever remember any of my past partners ever not having this. 

I'm in New Orleans either way. We just pride ourselves on the whore lives in which we've built for ourselves in this party city. XD

We don't necessarily put everything into the basket anymore. We just bang and/or compensate when the mood strikes us. 

Hope this makes sense. XD

Edited by Emptyeyes_
2 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

The mainstream press and social media having a reckoning about it is important. Facebook was censoring posts that discussed it and Twitter was uncooperative in clarifying their covid misinformation policy, people were called racists, Trumpers, etc. Now that a mainstream publication has published a story admitting it's a very likely case, we can actually try to get to the bottom of it, which we could have done a year and a half ago when it was first floated.

Publishing an article reporting that the Director of the FBI thinks the lab theory is likely, without publishing any supporting evidence, is pretty far from "admitting it's a very likely case".  Particularly since the FBI isn't in much of a position to know.  The FBI may be honestly making their best educated guess on it, but they're still guessing, and people who are more educated about it than them are guessing the opposite.

There are tons of concrete things to criticize about the CoVid response, but none of them particularly hinge on the lab.

2 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

As for it being engineered, its the idea that they were potentially juicing an already existing virus. Maybe I missed it, but has that theory been entirely disproven? Fauci said they weren't doing gain of function research and as far as I'm aware, that got outed as a lie. So if I'm wrong, correct me. I'd like to know. 

Let's walk this back for a second- the only thing either of us mean is juicing an existing virus.  Designing a virus from scratch is way, way out of scope for reality- they'd be winning Nobel prizes for some of the basic shit they'd have to work out long before they even got around to figuring out how to use it to get people sick.

So there are a couple of things to talk about here.  First is what you're actually doing when you modify genes.  There's a variety of ways to actually do it, but the big thing all the methods have in common is that a lot of time they randomly just don't work right, or even don't work at all.  So you get around that by doing them in volume- you run the experiment on millions of viruses, or bacteria, or higher cells, at the same time because by the numbers everything is likely to work correctly on at least some of them. 

The next problem you have then is a sorting problem- how do you tell the ones where the editing worked from the ones that didn't?  Couple of ways to go about it, but the usual gist is you add some other gene at the same time that does something stupidly obvious and easy to look for.  If you're doing bacteria, you might put in a gene that lets them survive some sort of antibiotic.  Then its easy to kill off just the ones where the edit didn't take.  For higher cells you might add a gene for GFP, then the ones where the editing worked literally glow in the dark in fluorescent light.

The CoVid-19 genome has literally nothing like any of that.  So what we have are experts looking desperately hard at minutia in the genome trying to guestimate whether tiny motifs that may have arisen randomly "look" natural to them.  It's like arguing whether a newly discovered piece of sheet music was written by Mozart based on whether two given notes seem like Mozart would have placed them next to each other or not.  The answer is no one definitely knows, but holy shit have some people dug their heels in on arguing for their pet theory one way or the other.

So circling back, to have CoVid be some gain-of-function strain that escaped the lab, you'd have to have some vunderkind successfully edit in the gain of function without editing in any way to tell that it worked, but somehow still be able to tell that it did work.  And then fuck up and manage to accidentally release it.  Maybe all that shit could have happened, but then its like why did they even make the work so hard on themselves?

Next IIRC, Fauci was wrong about whether any gain-of-function studies had ever been conducted in that lab.  It's arguable that he lied, but it's also arguable that he had no idea at the time he was put on the spot to answer the question, and just fucked up by answering without considering the limits of his knowledge.

Next there's the question of whether gain-of-function research on corona viruses was some furtive hush-hush secret they felt like they needed to cover up.  And the answer to that is no.  In fact it was already being done here- at a lab at UNC Chapel Hill in 2015 as publicly funded, published research.   https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4801244/

Anyway, I'm blowing this whole post up with more detail than I really intended.  My main point is that the whole recent news stuff doesn't amount to much, and some people are trying to go a very long way with stuff based on it.  Like, if we're going to be skeptical of the government when they say stuff we don't want to hear, we need to be equally skeptical when they say stuff we do.

2 hours ago, Reticently said:

Snip

Thanks for writing in detail, that was an interesting read.

I guess my question was why they felt they needed to cover up the GoF research (if in fact that was the reason Fauci said they weren't doing it) if it was already being done on American soil if there wasn't anything potentially nefarious about it. It's odd to me that for a country we have had such a tenuous relationship with like China, they'd be able to trust them with that kind of research in the first place, given that that lab has had accidents before.

Either way, I don't understand why the lab leak theory had to be such a hotly debates topic. We basically lost 2 years that we could have potentially learned a lot more than we did.

Edited by DoctaMario

Would you guys accept the deal if a powerful entity like Cyttorak or Galactus offered you the incredible powers that come with the deal of being their herald/champion/etc.?  Malebolgia from Image would be another one though the deal of being a Hellspawn...it's good but isn't quite as good as being a herald with Power Cosmic on your side.  

Power Cosmic is just too good... it would be strange to me if anyone in their right mind would be foolish enough turn all that down...even though your arrival to a world is a sign that it's about to be over for them.  Still... imagine you get to explore the universe all the time, and with the power cosmic you can do nearly anything.

*I watched Wishmaster part 2 the other day--- yeah the djinn has a raw deal, imo... I wouldn't go for that.  He has the power to do pretty much anything... but ONLY in the context of a human's wish....nah, fuck that.  If I'm to have cool powers.. I'd rather not be limited in that way.

I'm just now getting caught up on the whole Michael B Jordan "confronts" bully thing and I'm definitely on the side of "That was it?"  They made it sounds like he went in on her but it feel like he just ribbed and called her out then just kept it moving.   Only reason I really decided to look into it is cause Joe Budden popped up in my Twitter feed trying to shame him for what he did and it really feels like he's making something out of barely anything.

3 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

I'm just now getting caught up on the whole Michael B Jordan "confronts" bully thing and I'm definitely on the side of "That was it?"  They made it sounds like he went in on her but it feel like he just ribbed and called her out then just kept it moving.   Only reason I really decided to look into it is cause Joe Budden popped up in my Twitter feed trying to shame him for what he did and it really feels like he's making something out of barely anything.

Man. As someone who grew up to beat the senses out of my own bullies, I was thoroughly disappointed to not see Creed IV break out in front of our eyes. Missed opportunity to turn them into Chemical X mush that would later fuel the live action PowerPuff Girls movie.

5 hours ago, MillionX said:

Would you guys accept the deal if a powerful entity like Cyttorak or Galactus offered you the incredible powers that come with the deal of being their herald/champion/etc.?  Malebolgia from Image would be another one though the deal of being a Hellspawn...it's good but isn't quite as good as being a herald with Power Cosmic on your side.  

Power Cosmic is just too good... it would be strange to me if anyone in their right mind would be foolish enough turn all that down...even though your arrival to a world is a sign that it's about to be over for them.  Still... imagine you get to explore the universe all the time, and with the power cosmic you can do nearly anything.

*I watched Wishmaster part 2 the other day--- yeah the djinn has a raw deal, imo... I wouldn't go for that.  He has the power to do pretty much anything... but ONLY in the context of a human's wish....nah, fuck that.  If I'm to have cool powers.. I'd rather not be limited in that way.

Yes. First, I would delete immigration laws. Then I would give myself a lot of money. Like, at least $23. Then I would go surfing in Australia but actually barely hover over the waves so it looks like I’m surfing for real, and then I’d get compliments when I come back to the beach. I’d also predict the future and just in case Hitler is resurrected, I’d tell him, “Hey, man. Not cool.”

kguI4ld.jpgujZCeRy.jpg

Chuck E Cheeses was dope when I was a little boy.  The pizza was good and the games were great.  They had them animatronics doing a show on the stage.  That shit was weird and I didnt care for it.  I loved the spy hunter sit down cab. 

The place just got crappier and crappier over the years.  Last time I was there was for one of my kids birthday.  Cardboard pizza and watered down soda and crappy games.  Only the kinda games you win tickets from.  Sad times.

Also, I'm thinkin' maybe that dude zatalcon needs to get himself one of them fat broads he's always tryin' to hook others up with.  He's startin' to see dongs where there are no dongs.

Oh yeah that's the other thing with Showbiz Pizza ---I also didn't like when they had the "live performance" of Billy Bob and friends on the stage; I just kept wanting to get back to playing the games.  Also...it was funny that those animatronic characters with their herky-jerky movemennts and bugged out eyes were often terrifying to some of the smaller kids.  haha I just remembered that one of them was a big gorilla in a white suit, seated in the back playing the drums... I think there was a Kangaroo-looking character playing a banjo as well.

...oh there's a game most people forgot by now---there was an old arcade game simply called "Kangaroo"; you had to dodge monkeys throwing apples* while you try to get to the top of the screen to save your little kangaroo "Joey".  *haha it was also on Atari 2600 so I had it on that system... since graphics weren't detailed at all back then, especially on Atari systems...it was funny to just imagine the monkeys were indeed throwing their actual shit at you.

On 2/28/2023 at 10:39 PM, Sonichuman said:

They put that it's fake in the video but I know people are going to be fooled regardless and it's only a matter of time before someone starts doing the real heinous shit.

Well Mr President, I have dirt on you that you've been smoking on that Bhutanese evil pack that killed Tupac. I won't take orders from you. 😎

15 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

Thanks for writing in detail, that was an interesting read.

I guess my question was why they felt they needed to cover up the GoF research (if in fact that was the reason Fauci said they weren't doing it) if it was already being done on American soil if there wasn't anything potentially nefarious about it. It's odd to me that for a country we have had such a tenuous relationship with like China, they'd be able to trust them with that kind of research in the first place, given that that lab has had accidents before.

Either way, I don't understand why the lab leak theory had to be such a hotly debates topic. We basically lost 2 years that we could have potentially learned a lot more than we did.

Scientific researchers aren't (usually) organized in a top-down kind of structure.  US funding agencies like the NIH or whoever don't decide what independent or otherwise external researchers do and don't get to study, just whether to contribute money to the research (with certain conditions attached, of course).  So it isn't so much a matter of trusting them with it, at most it's a question of whether to contribute funding.  

Whether or not they should be doing that kind of GoF research- well, it can sound scary, but prior to CoVid actually being a thing it was the only game in town for studying what a virus like SARS-COV-2 might be capable of.  Arguably, Wuhan was the safest place to be doing it because everybody there is already at endemic risk for contracting coronaviruses- you're not creating an entirely new hazard for people who are already hanging out around sick bats in their day to day.

Anyway, the lab theory being hotly debated, and whatever passes for a cover-up about it, is down to some parties treating it as a witch hunt.  You've got people ranging from 4chaners to Congress reps  yelling about wanting to burn someone at the stake, it's no wonder people don't jump up and say "I misspoke earlier- it turns out my kid actually had danced naked around a bonfire with girls".

As for investigation, well realistically you're never going to get to the bottom of it with everything being in China.  The lab could be completely uninvolved with every part of CoVid's origin, and China would still sooner disappear everyone there than even risk being mildly embarrassed by it.

2 hours ago, AriesWarlock said:

“And AOC, she’s great at killing jobs. She kills jobs by the thousands,”

He says he would debate AOC. Would like to see that.

They're some of the most overregulated states in the country so they makes sense. Not to say business should be given carte blanche, but the politicos, at least in NY from my own experience, it almost seems like they're determined to chase away any company that wants to set up shop there.