Stage Select

The MEGASHOCK Saloon Thread 3: Chinder Chagger Edition

Nobody mentioned Tina Turner yet, who IMO is the apex of female Singer/Dancer/Showman - She's absolutely ELECTRICIFYING. And knowing everything she's been through to climb on top of it all and get her happy ending just makes it all the more perfect. I saw her most recently documentary where says her peace (I think she is ill and wanted to get it out of the way), and she is truly and simply - the best.

There are many other calibrations in the female singer/musician world - but Tina is the most balanced of them IMO. Beyonce is very well rounded also (pun!), great dancer, but I don't think her music has that universal appeal. She's very overhyped and doesn't register outside the US the way they would have you believe.

I think this singing convo got off on the wrong foot from the start cuz what do we mean by "Bring down the house"? To me that means an amazing show which is a lot more then just having good pipes. You can sing amazingly well but you just stand on the stage and sing and give me an experience I can got on my CD player then you didn't bring down the house imo. 

1 minute ago, RSG3 said:

I think this singing convo got off on the wrong foot from the start cuz what do we mean by "Bring down the house"? To me that means an amazing show which is a lot more then just having good pipes. You can sing amazingly well but you just stand on the stage and sing and give me an experience I can got on my CD player then you didn't bring down the house imo. 

If that's what bring down the house means then I'm still going for Tina and probably Madonna. Madonna's live shows up until 2012ish were just in a league of their own. Her stage presence, charisma, and showmanship more than make up for her less-than-stellar pipes (which have their moments when she actually decides to stand still and sing). Moreover, like Tina, Madonna's discography is enviable and has massive international hits - she really knew how to get the crowd going for decades.

I'm seeing her again later this year for her greatest hits tour. I'm not sure what to expect, but I'm hoping she can pull herself back together after her hiatus (kids) and bring it.

1 hour ago, VirginDefiler said:

u shoulda never mentioned tina. now i gotta put up my fav version of this song

which imo best version.

its in my playlist. damn right

Damn. That makes me sad. From that to now this

The black progress chart has been in hell for so long and I really blame the leftists for this.

Edited by zatalcon3
55 minutes ago, Emptyeyes_ said:

What is this?? Looks kind of fun. And I notice the YouTube account is using the Getsu Fumaden pic as their pfp.

46 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

If they'd been talking about just putting on a show, they'd probably have just said "female artist." But at least to me, saying "female SINGER" intimates that they're talking about vocal ability, especially since every woman on that list is a powerhouse singer except JLo.

41 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

I'm looking at can a singer entertain a crowd with just a instrumental, a mic, their voice, and their stage presence. Because I agree. Performing live, you gotta be able to work the crowd.

This is why J-lo is far removed from such a conversation. You can stick Tina Turner on a busy corner in times square. And she'll draw a crowd with her singing and energy and showmanship. Have people forgetting they were suppose to be somewhere important as they just stop and enjoy the show.

J-lo cannot do this. She needs a whole planned out performance with effects and ish Because she's a dancer, a performer. Not a singer in the slightest. Like look at her live. 

45 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

What is this?? Looks kind of fun. And I notice the YouTube account is using the Getsu Fumaden pic as their pfp.

If they'd been talking about just putting on a show, they'd probably have just said "female artist." But at least to me, saying "female SINGER" intimates that they're talking about vocal ability, especially since every woman on that list is a powerhouse singer except JLo.

And to me "Bring down the house" means amazing show you talk about for years, not just standing there and singing. I can get that on that radio. 

@BB_HoodyI can get all that on the radio or by buying the Album. I paid for a show not an album. 

Edited by RSG3
38 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

And to me "Bring down the house" means amazing show you talk about for years, not just standing there and singing. I can get that on that radio. 

@BB_HoodyI can get all that on the radio or by buying the Album. I paid for a show not an album. 

No shade to you. You're entitled to what entertains you if you paid for it. But that right there, is why a J-Lo can be pushed into musical stardom, and be seen as greater than those who are actually far more talented and skilled at their craft. 

21 minutes ago, BB_Hoody said:

No shade to you. You're entitled to what entertains you if you paid for it. But that right there, is why a J-Lo can be pushed into musical stardom, and be seen as greater than those who are actually far more talented and skilled at their craft. 

That's why it's important to understand what we are talking about i think. This isn't disrespect at all, this is a difference of expectations on what a show should be. If I'm paying for a show I want Michael Jackson, not George Straight, ESPECIALLY in 2023 money.

Unless it's a small private show with a small group in a small room, real personal. Thats fine, that's a pretty different experience. Otherwise I expect a show and if you say "Bring down the house" and they just stood there they didn't bring the house down, they sang really really nicely, which is cool, but doesn't compare to a big show with a band that syngerzes with the crowed and creates an experience, which is what a show should be. Why am I paying 150 bucks per for an experience I can get on Youtube Music?

It's awesome when you get someone who can do both like Michael Jackson or something but the vast majority of us are insanely lucky to be really good at just 1 thing, much less 2. 

My expectations are set by my father who has been in many bands my entire life and his stance has always been that the show and album are not the same thing and you should be offering a unique and memorable experience to what the album offers. That's why you have 2 "products" after all. Why would anyone pay all this extra money for what they have much cheaper and easily with the album, and it's not like my father's shows where all that expensive. 

Not trying to defend J-Lo by the way I don't like her music and I think it's shameful to claim someone else's vocals as your own. My favorite bands come from the Ska and grunge genres where almost no one can sing that well, or doesn't really try to anyway. I can respect someone who puts on a great show but just sings ok, when talking about great acts, the ability to put on a great show is really under rated. 

Edit: I also don't know if J-Lo puts on a good show because I've never looked, I don't like her music lol. I don't even like her acting like she's super over rated if you ask me. I wouldn't put her on any top list for anything except maybe huge ass. 

Edited by RSG3
7 hours ago, Hecatom said:

I find amusing when artists on discord contact you at random, try to start a small convo to then try to sell you their services.

Right now I have like 12 trying to contact me/talk me to hire their services

Bruv most of my followers on Twitter are now just other graphic designers. I will never need to hire one of them because I do all of my own stuff for thumbnails to my avatars and mini animations to my logo. That and so many stick to the same generic designs for logos. 

Twitter taught me the world has enough graphic designers. 😂

7 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

A nice hand drawn weapon based fighting game. The basic mechanic of a two hit or 1 hit critical kill. I've played this myself 2 years ago. The visuals are fantastic.

If you like Samurai Shodown and especially Bushido Blade, this one is for you.

Off-topic: with all this talking of singers bringing down the house, I'm remembering (might've said this before) I wanted to see Silk Sonic in Vegas, but just flying out for a night would run me like 2K in flight costs, hotel/rental costs, and ticket prices. No way I was going to do that.

Then I saw Beyonce ticket prices alone and wondered if I was just a broke boy. How can people afford that shit?

9 hours ago, RSG3 said:

That's why it's important to understand what we are talking about i think. This isn't disrespect at all, this is a difference of expectations on what a show should be. If I'm paying for a show I want Michael Jackson, not George Straight, ESPECIALLY in 2023 money.

Unless it's a small private show with a small group in a small room, real personal. Thats fine, that's a pretty different experience. Otherwise I expect a show and if you say "Bring down the house" and they just stood there they didn't bring the house down, they sang really really nicely, which is cool, but doesn't compare to a big show with a band that syngerzes with the crowed and creates an experience, which is what a show should be. Why am I paying 150 bucks per for an experience I can get on Youtube Music?

It's awesome when you get someone who can do both like Michael Jackson or something but the vast majority of us are insanely lucky to be really good at just 1 thing, much less 2. 

My expectations are set by my father who has been in many bands my entire life and his stance has always been that the show and album are not the same thing and you should be offering a unique and memorable experience to what the album offers. That's why you have 2 "products" after all. Why would anyone pay all this extra money for what they have much cheaper and easily with the album, and it's not like my father's shows where all that expensive. 

Not trying to defend J-Lo by the way I don't like her music and I think it's shameful to claim someone else's vocals as your own. My favorite bands come from the Ska and grunge genres where almost no one can sing that well, or doesn't really try to anyway. I can respect someone who puts on a great show but just sings ok, when talking about great acts, the ability to put on a great show is really under rated. 

Edit: I also don't know if J-Lo puts on a good show because I've never looked, I don't like her music lol. I don't even like her acting like she's super over rated if you ask me. I wouldn't put her on any top list for anything except maybe huge ass. 

I think with acts like George Strait, McCartney, Dylan, etc, you're seeing an iconic performer and artist and THAT is the show. If Strait did a Michael Jackson type of show it would be weird because his whole vibe has been "cowboy doing cowboy things." Likewise, I don't think Michael Jackson could do a George strait style show even though he was an icon himself because HIS vibe was always "biggest pop star in the world doing biggest pop star in the world things."

I totally agree though RE what your dad said. If someone's just going to recreate their album on stage, why would I go see that? Usually the best artists are better live than on record and they rarely play it the way it was recorded all the way.

7 hours ago, Chadouken said:

Thanks for the condolences and well wishes, folks. Appreciate you guys. Grandma was 97 and it wasn't a surprise, but it still stings when a loved one passes.

@DoctaMario she was my last grandparent as well. It's weird not having any of them in my life anymore. 

I hear you. I had all four of my grandparents for most of my life and now I have none which is weird. I was particularly close to that last grandma and grandpa as I lived with them through college so that made it sting a bit more.

1 hour ago, axeman61 said:

Then I saw Beyonce ticket prices alone and wondered if I was just a broke boy. How can people afford that shit?

IMO online ticket brokers gave figured out the max amount they can charge for tickets.  I don't mind the prices, but me and my wife are both fairly high income and it seems silly to drop that much money on one night of entertainment.

15 hours ago, TheInfernoman said:

Bruv most of my followers on Twitter are now just other graphic designers. I will never need to hire one of them because I do all of my own stuff for thumbnails to my avatars and mini animations to my logo. That and so many stick to the same generic designs for logos. 

Twitter taught me the world has enough graphic designers. 😂

What amuses me more, is that unrelated people are using basically the same kind of approach, like they were following a script.

And that those who the clearly less experience in how they draw and their composition usually are the ones that have the most expensive prices.

No joke, I have a friend who is the one that I does some commissions for me from time to time, and for the price he does 72 pics total on 3 variant sets for me, is what some of those people pretend me to pay if I were to hire them for 1 or 2 pics.

Then add that, and I know this will sound arrogant from my part, despite me not drawing for years, I draw way better than them.

4 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

I legitimately cannot wrap my head around people having that kind of energy over fast food. Like what drives someone to do this over fucking RANCH DRESSING?

Straight up mental instability. These kind of people are not stable. They're on Joker time. They can be cool when things are cool. But the moment they feel slighted? There's no telling how far left things can go. Their emotions completely take over. Rational thought and restraint goes out the window.

On the subject of singers, one of my fav male vocalists of all time is Einar Solberg, he has a great voice, what you listen on the record is what you get live, if not better at times

This song btw, was done with the help of the fans during the pandemic.

They joined livestream during a week, to vote on all the parameters on how the song should be written, keys, time signatures, lyrics, vocal styles, etc.

Edited by Hecatom