Stage Select

The MEGASHOCK Saloon Thread 3: Chinder Chagger Edition

I've been watching the Matrix movies again now that I got that 4k collection... I still think "Reloaded" wasn't that bad; enjoyed it.  I suspect that most people's expectations were just extreme because the first one was just that damn good...it would be tough for any follow-up to match that level of greatness.

sheeitttt... Smith still is one of the greatest movie villains of all time.  I'd set him right into that elite top tier with folks like Vader and Palpatine.

It seems like a great setup for an anthology type of series, imo...  we saw a bit of that with "Animatrix" that had stories of different characters and situations within that world.

*Ok I'll say the hot take... seeing this again for the first time since it was a new movie... I think part 3 got a bit too much flack as well.  The whole scene where Zion got invaded by the machines was goddamn incredible...the building tension as things go from bad to worse while the ship is also trying to make it back, the spectacle of it all....the music...  and Captain Mifune went out in such an epic way; I love everything about this scene.

I got Revolutions on right now----Monica Bellucci in the tight red outfit in glorious 4k, folks....lawd have mercy

Nervous Key And Peele GIF

Edited by MillionX

Watched the Chris Rock special, he said ALOT I agreed with, especially the Will Smith and the attention epidemic. However I don't like how he went along with the co-opted version of "woke", thats not what the word original means and he knows it. Also, special wasn't all that funny and I like most of his stand up, a few cackles but nothing stuck out

But to get to what really stuck out to me the most, his eyes were MAD yellow and I couldn't not notice them. I genuinely hope dude is OK cuz that is not a good sign, apparently I'm not the only one who sees this

12 hours ago, Daemos said:

What if Putin knows we're so skeptical that he actually did down the drone knowing we're gonna say NATO/US are doing another false flag operation after the pipeline thingy came out.

That Putin, so good!

I'm not saying he didn't do it, but I'm skeptical when the same media and government that told us Saddam had nukes and that Russia blew up the Nordstrom pipeline tells us he shot down some drone when it seems like they're looking for an excuse to go to war with Russia. Fool me once...¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by DoctaMario
26 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

I'm not saying he didn't do it, but I'm skeptical when the same media and government that told us Saddam had nukes and that Russia blew up the Nordstrom pipeline tells us he shot down some drone when it seems like they're looking for an excuse to go to war with Russia. Fool me once...¯\_(ツ)_/¯

CIA has been pulling so much false flag bullshit for the last 30 years I just assume they are behind every provocation for war.  

1 hour ago, HD-Man said:

Watched the Chris Rock special, he said ALOT I agreed with, especially the Will Smith and the attention epidemic. However I don't like how he went along with the co-opted version of "woke", thats not what the word original means and he knows it. Also, special wasn't all that funny and I like most of his stand up, a few cackles but nothing stuck out

But to get to what really stuck out to me the most, his eyes were MAD yellow and I couldn't not notice them. I genuinely hope dude is OK cuz that is not a good sign, apparently I'm not the only one who sees this

Yeah, that was my problem too. It was alright, but not up to par. Hell, even the Will and Jada stuff wasn't that good outside a few lines. Outside those, it was stuff we all heard before. It was his place to speak that stuff, don't get me wrong. But for a year off to come up with this stuff, I would have thought he'd have more fire on that topic.

Edited by axeman61
32 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Pretty much. Clinton, Bush, Obama, Trump, and Biden's policies aren't all that much different from each other for the most part.

At the risk of bumming everybody out, I've started to really understand why older people get cynical about stuff like this because when you've been alive long enough to see them repeating the playbook in your lifetime, it makes you wonder how long they've been doing it, how long people have been falling for it, and if anything can actually change.

Edited by DoctaMario
2 hours ago, HD-Man said:

However I don't like how he went along with the co-opted version of "woke", thats not what the word original means and he knows it.

Unfortunately it's how things work. Words get hijacked and misused all the time. Once that new use gets traction in the public, that's a wrap. I remember when woke was positive but that's been a while back. Social Justice Warrior is the same way. MLK, Rosa Parks, etc. were Social Justice Warriors. Now it just is people that spout nonsense on the internet.

Yeah. It's entirely possible - even though Chris seems to be up on these things - that he doesn't even know the real definition of "woke". We're so far away from the original definition.

Most people who use it now are misusing it, even as a pejorative. As an insult, it used to mean you were SO woke you weren't using logic or thinking about the real world. Now it's just "whatever hurt my fee-fees today".

Edited by axeman61
13 hours ago, HD-Man said:

Ppl are up in arms about a Transformer being transgender. They already turn into vehicles so this isn't that wild when you think about it. Hell, its in the name, TRANSformers 🤣

Then again, do robots even have genders? You know what, nvm. Im there day 1. lmao

For the purpose of this conversation sex = gender. Transformers don't (explicitly) need sexual dimorphism and gender has no regard in reproducing. It's not hugely prescriptive to the rules except that's just how it is. 

https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Female_Transformer

That said, they are one gender and stay there. . . with one exception

https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Arcee_(G1)/2005_IDW_continuity

Spotlight_Arcee_cvrA.jpg

12 hours ago, Lantis said:

Well there was Arcee and Blackarachnia as the only female Transformers I know of

320px-ArceeTFMovie.jpg

reduced-image_15907_106.jpg

There was an entire episode dedicated to femmebot team in G1  (which includes @Darc_Requiemacknowledged character Elita One). 

You also have the character Airrazor in Beast Wars. She's getting the live action treatment in the next movie (voiced by Michelle Yeoh). 

Airazorbwcgi.jpg

A few more that are getting more visibility are:

Windblade  

Revolution5-Windbladeprofile.jpg

Slipstream started as a clone of (Animated) Starscream from that embraced his feminine side. In most other properties since, she has been her own character. 

444px-LegendsSlipstreamArt.jpg

Edited by OPTIMUS124

reading the thread with various topics,

i just realize with all of this drones and ai advancing, a future of gundam, robotech and other japanese's giant mecha having pilots is unlikely to happen.

looks like 30 years from now that robot mech genre would fall into retrofuturism category

the future of robot and war robot is more like transformers.

I wonder how the next advancement would be on transportation either flying cars or flying pods? since ai is now integral to almost everything especially we are now venturing to self driving cars

1 hour ago, Reticently said:

Not really though.  Dive into some genealogy research or similar and it's not too hard to find versions of that chick in records dating back to the 1600s.

Poor choice of words. When I say unheard of? I meant it was so rare. You didn't really hear about such woman. They weren't common. Now of course this is just based on my limited knowledge of history.

But I'm willing to bet women like the one in that dating profile. Weren't so common place in previous centuries. 

11 minutes ago, BB_Hoody said:

My admittedly limited knowledge of history. Like women like this were common place in previous centuries??? Really?

Given how easy it used to be to ghost on people completely before modern technology, and the total lack of birth control, it wasn't really that rare to find women with 3 kids from 3 different dads, at least in the cities.

Tinder and the internet put them out there in everyone's faces, but they've always been out there.  Mostly in the trashier bars.

7 minutes ago, Reticently said:

Given how easy it used to be to ghost on people completely before modern technology, and the total lack of birth control, it wasn't really that rare to find women with 3 kids from 3 different dads, at least in the cities.

Tinder and the internet put them out there in everyone's faces, but they've always been out there.  Mostly in the trashier bars.

Not just the circumstances. But the attitude. To just put it out there as if it's not a bad look in the dating market. To talk as if a man would be lucky to have her and should prove himself worthy. And expects him to be an above average man

Ok so since it happens to be part of my 4k Matrix collection... I reluctantly watched Resurrections.

Yeah... I'd say it indeed earned the criticisms.  There were a few things that visually looked cool but overall it just seemed like a mess of a film to me....and of course, just disappointing in comparison to the older movies.  The odd thing is that some effects looked cool...but some other things came off looking cheap, like almost "average tv show budget"-level quality.  There's one really odd scene in an abandoned factory looking area that just had me wondering---why would they do this scene?  It's like that 1 Wachowski (*I'm curious why the other sibling was apparently not involved on this one) and the team just went with whatever was the first idea that came to mind....with no alternate, backup ideas in play like "eh, not so sure about how this plays.....let's try this other idea we storyboarded...".  

The fighting and action scenes also don't really compare to the previous movies.  There's one cool  (and overpowered as hell) thing a character called "The Analyst" does but that's about it.  That was the best new character, imo... a shame he had to be in this movie though.

Ultimately, this is another one of those cases where it's probably for the best that the world goes on in agreement that there's only 2 or 3 Matrix films.  This did not happen.

Edited by MillionX