Stage Select

The MEGASHOCK Saloon Thread 3: Chinder Chagger Edition

14 hours ago, Chadouken said:

I was almost with you until you said the mouth. Spanking your child, even with a belt, is a lot different than hitting them in the face.

That said, I don't think my wife and I are going to employ spanking as a means of discipline for my daughter. I say that now while she's only 2. We'll see how long that lasts 😂

To be clear, my daughter is 2, not my wife.

Yeah, my wife and I are trying not to use corporal punishment unless its a last resort (the ship needs to have a course correction immediately).  It's been working out so far since he at least knows that it's on the table and it's a possibility.

1 minute ago, Sonichuman said:

Yeah, my wife and I are trying not to use corporal punishment unless its a last resort (the ship needs to have a course correction immediately).  It's been working out so far since he at least knows that it's on the table and it's a possibility.

My stance tends to be I spank when as you said an immediate course correction is needed, and when I need you to associate what you are doing with pain. 

An example. I swatted the GFs behind once decently hard (she's 7, and just hard enough she'll feel it) because she wasn't standing next to the car in a busy crowded parking lot while Grandma was getting shit out the back. Kept wandering into the road. I justify the swat because I need her to associate fucking around in the parkinglot with pain because if she continues to fuck around I. The parkinglot she will be in a lot more pain then my butt swat. 

With that said my butt swats also come with a conversation afterwards about why a butt swat was earned. 'I need you to understand that playing in the parkinglot is going to end in you getting hurt, either by a car or my hand, and I would rather you learn from my hand then the car."

heh, good on ya, "Carl Winslow" Reginald Veljohnson for getting this recurring gig as "America's Dad" on those commercials... it's a surprise and refreshing to see a "dad character" in a commercial (or anything else on tv) that's *not* portrayed as the buffoon caveman of the family, a subservient goon to the all-knowing, all-powerful woman of the house. 

It was an odd thing how that guy got typecasted for a while too... he was always playing a police officer for some reason...even as Carl Winslow.

Edited by MillionX

We don't do corporal punishment, but we're not above swatting a hand if they were reaching for a hot pot on the stove.

I do pick them up and dangle them upside down or whatever if they're trying to get violent with other people though. Not to hurt them, just to get them to realize how disproportionate the situation would be if someone was willing to hurt them back.

23 hours ago, MillionX said:

...another randomly disappointing thing about Memphis, btw... as a kid I thought it was so cool at first that we got a pyramid in the city!  Fast forward to now...you know what's there?  BASS PRO SHOPS.  They have some cool shit like a modern-day pyramid... and somehow it becomes a Bass Fuckin Pro Shop.  Of all the things it could have become... it's like imagine some other cool landmark, like you had a fancy castle or a golden Taj Mahal-looking place...and years later it just becomes a Kroger.

smh GIF

You ever been in that BassPro though? It's like an arboretum. They have full on trees, a river, a cabin, and you can ride the elevator up to the observation deck and they have a bar and restaurant up there. I'm not usually super into what they have at BassPro, but I love going into those stores because they always have good nature displays. The one in Nashville has a huge fish tank and waterfall in it.

5 hours ago, AriesWarlock said:

Cameron ran a "simulation" of sorts to help him come up with a plan for his Avatar series, and he used The Lord of the Rings as a formula to follow.

332553567_3529854210581557_4188001639383

Cameron is a hack. Sure Avatar looks pretty, but it's writing is shit. 
First one is Dance with Wolves but in Space with some War Movie Filler.
Second Movie is just the same plot but they are stealing more title names from the Last Air Bender. 
There no reason the 2nd movie should of been this successful. 

^Another bit of proof that confirms I made the right choice to NOT go with that career path of becoming a teacher.  Imagine having to deal with someone else's trashy, worthless, dangerous kids on a daily basis....for years.....and to add insult to injury it's for a relatively low salary.  Nah, that's foolishness.  It surprises me we don't hear more stories of teachers committing suicide or flipping out in some other way.  There is nothing positive to be had in that career... especially in the public schools at a typical big city.

17 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

I'm betting raised by a single mother personally.  Every time I've had a run in with a teen kid that's the case, they get real mad when they find out they aren't going to get to bully some small kid for no reason.  Teen boys need to be checked HARD by a Dad or they get way out of line.  Women just aren't capable of maintaining discipline in a house IMO.

CNN  — 

It is one of the most beloved movie series of all time, but Peter Jackson’s “The Lord of the Rings” trilogy only scratched the surface of the rich world of Middle-earth created by J.R.R. Tolkien.

And “multiple” new movies set in Middle-earth are in the works, Warner Bros. Discovery CEO David Zaslav announced on Thursday in an earnings call, after studio heads Mike De Luca and Pam Abdy signed a deal with Freemode, a division of Swedish entertainment company Embracer Group, which acquired the movie rights to Tolkien’s work in August last year. (Warner Bros. Discovery is the parent company of CNN.)

Warner Bros. will produce the movies together with sister company New Line Cinema and Freemode, “expanding upon the much-loved world and characters of Middle-earth,” a statement released by Embracer read.

10 minutes ago, J-ride said:

I'm betting raised by a single mother personally.  Every time I've had a run in with a teen kid that's the case, they get real mad when they find out they aren't going to get to bully some small kid for no reason.  Teen boys need to be checked HARD by a Dad or they get way out of line.  Women just aren't capable of maintaining discipline in a house IMO.

I think it really depends on the personality of the woman to be honest.  My mom was born to a family of 5 sisters and everyone except her did not get married before they had kids.  Most of her sisters are still not married.  The results of my cousins are...mixed.  Some of my cousins definitely ended up getting into trouble and running wild while others turned out ok.  I think it's more so the parent just needs to have the understanding that they're the parent and they're the adult in the relationship period.  If you don't check their behaviors earlier on, it's likely going to be a bigger problem later especially when they start getting into their teenage years. 

I pay the bills in this house, I drive you where you need to go, I'm the one helping to provide a roof over your head and putting clothes on you.   Until you're old enough to take care of yourself and you aren't reliant on me I need my kid to understand this concept fully.  I plan on giving him an allowance so that he knows the value of money but I also and fully planning on turning the electricity off in his room using the breaker the moment I need to cross that bridge.

1 hour ago, DangerousJ said:

What would you say your favorite franchises/IP are and how would you rank them?

For me...

1) Transformers/X-men   

2) Spider-man/TMNT

3) City Hunter

4) Street Fighter/Tekken/KOF

A lot comes to mind usually separated by what realm of entertainment it came from (comics vs. movies, vs. shows, cartoons, games, etc) for me but these are the top ranks that came to mind right away:

• Vampire the Masquerade 
  • Warhammer - though I'm still just *recently* getting into this lore; I had a passing interest before and then that game "Space Marine" in the 360 era got me hooked a bit more.
  • Diablo - I was just thinking about the total hours played again earlier today for D3... 480 hours just on Switch... at least 850-ish on the XB1...but it goes even further since I played a lot on 360, PS3 and the original PC version.  Yes, it's quite insane.
  • Dragonball
  • Bleach
  • Bayonetta
  • Transformers
  • X-Men
  • Gears of War
  • The Matrix
  • Power Rangers/Super Sentai

Edited by MillionX
3 hours ago, DangerousJ said:

For me...

1) Transformers/X-men   

2) Spider-man/TMNT

3) City Hunter

I'll base this around physical items in the home . . .

Transformers

Star Wars

Back to the Future

Welp, this is a thing we can do. 

Edited by OPTIMUS124
1 hour ago, DangerousJ said:

Million,

Have you  ever liked any part of ninja turtles (games, cartoons,movies)?

It's one franchise I've never heard you mention.

Oh yeah...surprisingly that didn't come to mind right away----I suppose I'm a bit of a casual there.  I didn't even know about it until the late 80s cartoon that blew up the popularity, and from there I just liked the original cartoon, the 2003 cartoon, the first movie (but not the others) and the games....mainly the games though.  I love it much more in that format than anything else, really....it's like a story/concept that was destined to be such prime "beatemup" genre gaming material.  I've played the hell out of that new one that was released recently.  

Also from popular horror...the usual big 3:

Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th and Hellraiser.  I have the complete collection of Nightmare and the Friday franchises.  Hellraiser is sadly much more hit and miss for me...it's maianly parts 1 - 4 I remember and I don't care much for anything beyond that point *except* this latest one that came out on Hulu which appears to have saved/resurrected the franchise.

Ohhh and how could I forget----DOOM and Saint's Row....yeah those are 2 big, legendary franchises for me.... too bad the last Saint's Row has effectively murdered the IP.

6 hours ago, DangerousJ said:

For me...

1) Transformers/X-men   

2) Spider-man/TMNT

3) City Hunter

Been thinking about this all day and it's too hard to narrow down so I'm just gonna list ones I love. 

1. Final Fantasy

2. Batman

3. Zelda

4.The Witcher 

5. The Remedy-Verse. 

In no particular order. 

Edited by RSG3