Stage Select

The MEGASHOCK Saloon Thread 3: Chinder Chagger Edition

I no longer think fighting game commentary is a good idea. Before it became prevalent I was always interested in it, but either we need better commentators or it just does not work for the genre. The vast majority of the time the commentary is cringe, repetitive, and not informative. I was asked to suggest someone for commentary once, so I suggested the best player and student of a game I knew. He told me he tried but he just couldn't explain things quickly enough so he didn't want to do it. This was for pre-recorded videos and commentary, it just might not even be technically feasible at all in real time.

I am still a fan of tutorial videos and breakdown videos, where someone may take a match or techniques, slow them down, explain them, and go through everything. Those are fantastic and a great resource. But that takes a tremendous amount of work and few people love a game enough to do that, especially when they'll make pennies for it at most, and most viewers won't even appreciate it.

1 hour ago, iStu X said:

A very special team of scientists may have found out why @hanzohattori12has a small dick

Funny, but mean.  Let's not get too carried away...

1 hour ago, Lord Vega said:

That's your fault. 

People here mention Satan and other gods, but God Almighty is not allowed to be spoken of. Satan is also religious. How hypocritical? Realize this, people, God and Satan are the same person. 

No religion.  Final warning.  You've already been temp banned before.

1 hour ago, JHDK said:

@misterBee

Is dropping the Tekken Ball.

😒

Like someone on here said awhile back, debating is pointless. Ppl don't care about logic, evidence or facts, they just want to be right and take personal shots at others when they feel they may be "losing" 

I used to like a good debate years ago but I'm soured completely on it. Nothing good generally comes from it. You can show a person actually footage of something you said happened, but if they personally don't like you or the evidence, they just ignore it 

To me, that's just an ignorant, ass backwards way of thinking 

21 minutes ago, HD-Man said:

Like someone on here said awhile back, debating is pointless. Ppl don't care about logic, evidence or facts, they just want to be right and take personal shots at others when they feel they may be "losing" 

I used to like a good debate years ago but I'm soured completely on it. Nothing good generally comes from it. You can show a person actually footage of something you said happened, but if they personally don't like you or the evidence, they just ignore it 

I can count on one hand, the number of honest debates I witnessed on SRK.

Six, if you'd count Viscant owning the entire 3S fan base like an anemic Jewish Socrates in the legendary thread.

DangerousJ from the last page, you know, "CuriousJ" would be more fitting for you, considering your continuous questioning of my identity, though. I must be that suspicious to you. Maybe I should look at this as amusing, instead of taking insecurity against it. Now, I'm really looking forward to the "Dangerous" side of you.

Edited by Emptyeyes
15 minutes ago, JHDK said:

I can count on one hand, the number of honest debates I witnessed on SRK.

Six, if you'd count Viscant owning the entire 3S fan base like an anemic Jewish Socrates in the legendary thread.

Ironically, SRK was the only place I could get a decent debate. Even when it got heated, there was still logic and I've even changed my stance on a few things after absorbing what I read

I can't really get that anywhere else tho unfortunately 

This just dropped in the anime con scene. Tldr: dude we've all known for years through online and con scene got arrested for being a pedo. But apparently he admitted he was to so many people and they didn't sound the alarms.  I was legit just talkin to him online a few days ago on status. Fuck 🤢

https://wpgtalkradio.com/albert-pisanelli-deptford-nj-gloucester-county-man-charged-for-trying-to-meet-a-13-year-old-for-sex/

1 hour ago, HD-Man said:

Ahem:

infernomanquote.png

I disagree with some things some of ya'll say BUUUUT I don't here to debate and start stuff. I came here leaving behind SRK to chill. If I want to debate/set up a solid argument, I will do it elsewhere but I can't be bothered to for most of the day. Time I spend arguing is time taken away from being productive doing something else. (I think Kevin Hart said something similar on Joe Rogan podcast about something similar)

At most I'll debate why Super Merio World is the best 2D Merio game or why Teen Titans Go is way better than people think. 

27 minutes ago, TheInfernoman said:

Ahem:

infernomanquote.png

I disagree with some things some of ya'll say BUUUUT I don't here to debate and start stuff. I came here leaving behind SRK to chill. If I want to debate/set up a solid argument, I will do it elsewhere but I can't be bothered to for most of the day. Time I spend arguing is time taken away from being productive doing something else. (I think Kevin Hart said something similar on Joe Rogan podcast about something similar)

At most I'll debate why Super Merio World is the best 2D Merio game or why Teen Titans Go is way better than people think. 

My 2 favorite Mario Games of all time are not Mario Games: U.S. SMB2 & Yoshi's Island.

Teen Titans Go is fuckin' phenomenal.

53 minutes ago, MillionX said:

holy shit this juicy saga CONTINUES... Solo84 live right now with it

and now the live stream

Yes.  YES.  I can see that there will be many more days of destruction for my viewing pleasure.  

as luck would have it, I was just dropping by to post a MHD vid with the highlights of the current vids and run into this.  Well, I'm here so here it is. 

If a simp lord falls off his horse and lands on his hypocritical ass, does he make a sound?

Yes, and that sound is heard by the innumerable fangs and claws of the men he has wronged, and they will make a bee line for his neck.

someone brought it up in Solo's chat and I think this prediction is spot-on ...Derrick will more than likely try and change his whole scam gameplan up.... and become a "reformed" pastor at a big church.  That's always an easy sell....that he supposedly left his doggish ways in the past, got "saved" and all that jazz...and of course with his tv-show caliber looks it'll be easy enough to win black women over once again in that environment....and of course various ladies in said church would be eager to be the next Mrs. Jackson and perhaps "First Lady" of the church.

17 minutes ago, Lord Vega said:

Your mindset determines how your reality is. 

Change your avatar, you son of a bitch.

The Mod saved your ass for taking out your bad gnostic arguments, i suggest you change that av or you will feel the cries of many posters through out the decades who have had their asses handed to them by the One Who is Undefeated. 

Edited by weneedhim

Whew. I just deleted that post. I don't want to get banned. I'll try to not speak of religion and politics, but everything is connected to those two topics. My mind is always on the Supernatural. How you see the world is how the world will be. 

Edited by Lord Vega

Who is ApocalypticSmile on PS4N? Every time I challenge them, they would just not do anything. They won't accept or reject the challenge in the ranked match room. Multiple times this person entered ranked match while I was accepting rank matches during arcade mode on same rank mode and they just sat there until I left the room.

There are certain characters in USFIV that I can't beat if they are played by good players. I noticed that they are always characters that demolish my Seth and Lord Vega. I'm pretty sure they are counter picking me. I just can't figure out these match ups. Oh well. I just play for fun anyway. I keep on getting my ass kicked by these characters which knocked down my points. 

It's highly likely that I need to learn how to play other characters to improve on my favorite characters. 

Edited by Lord Vega
10 hours ago, weneedhim said:

Change your avatar, you son of a bitch.

The Mod saved your ass for taking out your bad gnostic arguments, i suggest you change that av or you will feel the cries of many posters through out the decades who have had their asses handed to them by the One Who is Undefeated. 

I Am not changing it until I feel like it. I don't care if he saved me. I don't mind being banned. 

Edited by Lord Vega
4 hours ago, Serpent said:

I no longer think fighting game commentary is a good idea. Before it became prevalent I was always interested in it, but either we need better commentators or it just does not work for the genre.

I think good commentators are important, though yeah, there may be a lack of them.  Watching matches without commentary is just incredibly niche, it gets real old real fast for most people, and probably isn't interesting in the first place if you're not super into the game.

But there is definitely an art and skill to picking out the right things to talk about, giving enough high-level overview, not trying to describe every single detail (which does go by too fast), and knowing when you can talk about something other than the game to keep things entertaining.

Tasty Steve and Kitana Prime of the Tekken and NetherRealms communities respectively have PHD’s in the games they follow and the community that plays their games. 

They’re also both incredibly funny and know when to hype and know when to dial it back while still being entertaining as fuck. they’ve made a lot of top 8’s, grand finals and even pools feel a lot more meaningful then they deserve to be due to their knowledge of the games they play and the community that supports them. 

Justin Wong’s twitch is also an unlimited resource of knowledge. Especially when it comes to pre-SFIV era. I’ve learned so much amazing tech in MvC2, CvS2 and the Alpha series due to his commentary while he plays those games

Edited by iStu X
1 hour ago, IcyBlackDeep said:

I think good commentators are important, though yeah, there may be a lack of them.  Watching matches without commentary is just incredibly niche, it gets real old real fast for most people, and probably isn't interesting in the first place if you're not super into the game.

But there is definitely an art and skill to picking out the right things to talk about, giving enough high-level overview, not trying to describe every single detail (which does go by too fast), and knowing when you can talk about something other than the game to keep things entertaining.

Watching videos is niche to begin with, only people that are actively interested in improving will do so. The majority of great videos do not have English commentary, if any commentary at all they're in Japanese. And those niche people are precisely the ones that don't need the commentary in the first place.

So that means the commentary has to be more entertaining, along with technically informative. This is extremely difficult. There are very, very few television sports commentators, and we're talking people that literally make 7 and 8 figure salaries yearly doing it, that can do that. There are a bit more when you add in radio commentary, which is also very niche and only hardcore fans of a sport tend to listen to. And these commentators have the benefit of replays, slow motion, an entire crew to pull up stats and help with analysis, as well as talking to players and coaches before, during and after games they ask them questions and know what to look for in the future. Often on top of that they were elite level players or coaches themselves.

How many people in the FGC can fit that description and what entity can provide that team and resources? Maybe with Sony buying Evo we'll see a move towards that, but who knows, it probably won't be most of the current commentators.

1 hour ago, Serpent said:

Watching videos is niche to begin with, only people that are actively interested in improving will do so.

Man, this is just bullshit.  I never played a KOF game but I like to watch KOF matches.  I get on xzone and watch 98 and 2001 quit often.  I think its fun to watch but I have no interest in playing it.

If I'm like that and watch the shit there are hundreds of other people that do the same.

heh, that reminds me I also watched streams of Overwatch for a while, even though I don't have the game and was not interested in ever buying it... it was (at least for a while) an entertaining game to watch on twitch.  

On commentary, I forgot the name of the other kinda husky guy, but my favorite was always when Yipes was teamed up with him.. that dynamic duo was gold on the mic just about every damn time, man.

On another note--- it's frustrating how pitiful Nintendo's point system is compared to the MS Rewards, man.  Even with the surveys they send via email, that + points for purchases are the only way, and thus it takes quite a while to add up.  Meanwhile over in MS/Xbox Land---I'm close to 20k points right now easyyyyy....and I just noticed another 6k just for purchasing a certain game (Outriders, which I was interested in getting day 1 anyway)  The comparison isn't even close on this.  It doesn't take long at all to get up to having over 10k points on a regular basis on MS.

3 hours ago, RSG3 said:

I watch matches all the time for games I don't even play. 

If he were right, nobody would watch Evo.

I sure as shit would not have watched MvC3 ever, if it were.

That game was flat-out garbage to play, imo, but it was a lot of fun to watch in a Pro Wrestling sort of way.

Edited by JHDK
4 hours ago, Serpent said:

Watching videos is niche to begin with, only people that are actively interested in improving will do so. The majority of great videos do not have English commentary, if any commentary at all they're in Japanese. And those niche people are precisely the ones that don't need the commentary in the first place.

So that means the commentary has to be more entertaining, along with technically informative. This is extremely difficult. There are very, very few television sports commentators, and we're talking people that literally make 7 and 8 figure salaries yearly doing it, that can do that. There are a bit more when you add in radio commentary, which is also very niche and only hardcore fans of a sport tend to listen to. And these commentators have the benefit of replays, slow motion, an entire crew to pull up stats and help with analysis, as well as talking to players and coaches before, during and after games they ask them questions and know what to look for in the future. Often on top of that they were elite level players or coaches themselves.

How many people in the FGC can fit that description and what entity can provide that team and resources? Maybe with Sony buying Evo we'll see a move towards that, but who knows, it probably won't be most of the current commentators.

Commentators are there as "experts", only for the completely unitiated.

For the rest of us, they are there as a form of entertainment of themselves, and also serve as a means to further engage us in what we are watching.

Ain't nobody but a try-hard noob taking notes on even Ultra David's pre-nerve damage butter churning insights, much less internalizing Finish Your Plate like Yipes is the Buddha.

Nobody in their right mind takes it that seriously.

Anyone who might be of a mind to, is already on stage being the subject of the commentary.

9 hours ago, TheInfernoman said:

Ahem:

infernomanquote.png

Super Mario world IS the best 2d mario game.  There is no debate, just a bunch of unwashed, knuckle-dragging, sub human, delusional, grass eating freaks who seem to be stuck in a permanent drug induced stupor over the subject.  Sometimes opinion is fact, and this is one of those times.

4 minutes ago, Deadly_Raver said:

Super Mario world IS the best 2d mario game.  There is no debate, just a bunch of unwashed, knuckle-dragging, sub human, delusional, grass eating freaks who seem to be stuck in a permanent drug induced stupor over the subject.  Sometimes opinion is fact, and this is one of those times.

How many are there, though?

1, 3, World... what else?

Lost Levels was shit, design-wise.

I guess the Wii U had one.

My favorite 2D Mario games shall forever be U.S. 2 and Yoshi's Island SNES.

And those ain't Mario games.

3DWorld is still the best 3D Mario. Odyssey is great, though.

Once they blessed the world with the "Maker" games, no other Super Mario could really measure up, imo.  I enjoy that concept of being able to make the levels, or play levels that other people made....so it's effectively a Mario game with endless # of interesting stages to play, all the time; a level of variety that hardly anything else can hang with.  It's hard for any game to compete with one that is the same but includes the capacity for user-generated content.

sheeeittt, of course my dream would be a "Diablo Maker" or "just general "ARPG Maker" thing.  I'd buy that and go on to play it for thousands of hours, easily.  Sadly, people in the industry don't seem interested in producing such a thing.  There's a regular "RPG Maker" series but you're limited to making turn-based nonsense. 👎

1 hour ago, JHDK said:

How many are there, though?

1, 3, World... what else?

Lost Levels was shit, design-wise.

I guess the Wii U had one.

My favorite 2D Mario games shall forever be U.S. 2 and Yoshi's Island SNES.

And those ain't Mario games.

3DWorld is still the best 3D Mario. Odyssey is great, though.

you're treading awful close to grass eating freak territory.  Yoshi's island?  That is the game that introduced the world....................to this.

If you understand your mistake, then renounce the ways of evil and forsake the dark desires of the unwashed.