Stage Select

The MEGASHOCK Saloon Thread 3: Chinder Chagger Edition

6 hours ago, RSG3 said:

I watch matches all the time for games I don't even play. 

To this day I watch Super Turbo, Marvel 2 and 3, KI, Injustice, SF4, Tekken and more. I don't play any of these games. Hell, I even watch 3S and everyone knows how wack that game is...

FGC is different to other eSports. KennyS is not going pro in fucking Call of Duty, mate. Justin in Marvel and SF though? Top player. We love every game as much as we hate them because we ARE the game.

33 minutes ago, Deadly_Raver said:

you're treading awful close to grass eating freak territory.  Yoshi's island?  That is the game that introduced the world....................to this.

If you understand your mistake, then renounce the ways of evil and forsake the dark desires of the unwashed.

Yoshi's Island was 10/10 perfection.

Don't want to hear a crying baby, non-stop?

Don't fuck up.

Also have a better pull-out game than Epi.

32 minutes ago, Dayaan said:

? That was a pretty ass thread.

That was a great thread.

It WAS a shitty debate thread, which was my point.

But Jay actually took the time to eviscerate every single bullshit argument presented against him.

And he was/is 100% factually correct.

It was a 10/10 deconstruction of why 3S is not an actual SF game.

Edited by JHDK
1 minute ago, JHDK said:

@Dayaan

I am bored.

That said: Offer a logically cohesive argument against what Viscant wrote.

It has been 15+ years, but I will gladly wait.

Actually I was going to, but SRK is down, and I'm not going to jump to conclusions or inferences without the source material. If it comes back up, I'll try to remember to come back to this.

2 minutes ago, Dayaan said:

Actually I was going to, but SRK is down, and I'm not going to jump to conclusions or inferences without the source material. If it comes back up, I'll try to remember to come back to this.

So your reaction is based in emotion, not thought.

That figures.

You were defending 3S, after all.

Here allow me to help you:

https://forums.shoryuken.com/t/parrying-good-or-bad/13745/91

Thoughts and emotions are one, emotions come from the soul/heart therefore they are a priority over thoughts from the mind/brain. Emotions are closer to your true intent and are from your true self that knows what is true. 

Humans have been programmed to disconnect from their souls/emotions/spirit. They have been fooled into thinking that the mind/thoughts should be the priority. Oh how backwards that is. Humans are now a bunch of robots due to the misunderstanding of their nature. 

I don't speak with people who don't know what and where their soul is unless they are open to realizing their true identity. I don't speak with people who are not in touch with their souls/hearts like atheist unless that atheist is open minded. Your soul produces your emotions. It actually creates everything that you are and it's who you are. If you do not understand your soul/true identity, you might be a soulless person, therefore I do not want to waste my time with you because you are basically a lifeless zombie. Your soul is your life.

It seems that humans must earn their souls by becoming aware that they have one. 

Actually, I will still speak to you if you are an atheist, just don't be so abrasive with you atheism. 

What people need to realize is that your soul creates your mind and body. Your mind creates your body. You are not your body. People are typically inverted wrongly when it comes to their identity. 

Edited by Lord Vega
3 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

Emotions come from the limbic system in the brain, you dumb fuck

Wrong, they come from the electric shocks that the giant space jellyfish that have our real bodies inside of galactic pringles cans give us when they play with our bootyholes.

They always playing with our bootyholes. 

THIS IS ALL A SIMULATION! A GIANT JELLYFISH IS PLAYING WITH YOUR BOOTYHOLE!! WAKE THE FUCK UP, CHAD! 

Or should call you Baaaaaahhhhd, cause you a sheep, man. 

1 hour ago, JHDK said:

That was a great thread.

It WAS a shitty debate thread, which was my point.

But Jay actually took the time to eviscerate every single bullshit argument presented against him.

And he was/is 100% factually correct.

It was a 10/10 deconstruction of why 3S is not an actual SF game.

Most of the arguments  being thrown at him were hilarious and terrible,  but he was right, and I say this as someone who was a pretty serious 3s player for quite awhile. Parry trashes a lot of things that make some 2d fighters work and cuts down on the complexity a bit, although 3s was meant to be a different type of game than sf2 so I think comparing them is kind of moot. 

Edited by DoctaMario
15 minutes ago, Lord Vega said:

I don't speak with people who don't know what and where their soul is unless they are open to realizing their true identity.

I'm just fucking with you, man. Mind, body, and spirit are what make us who we are, and I think each is just as significant as the others. It's all about balance. It really is important to tap into the spiritual realm and to explore your relationship between yourself and the universe. I've actually been studying spiritual health lately, and working with people to improve mine. 

Edited by Chadouken
Typical typos.

Man, I barely played SF3. There is an arcade here that has 3S, maybe I should go there to play it. I could also go there to play SF4 and Battle Gear. Playing with no internet lag will be more fun, but there are hardly any people there.

I play 3S without all the extra tools included in the game like parries and I just play it like I usually do. My playstyle is very simple. I feel connected to Urien in that game. I never played Gill, but I'm pretty sure he will match my playstyle. 

Edited by Lord Vega

All I know is, my dad has been making a cherry liquer for over a decade now since they planted some cherry trees in their backyard.

Usually made it with half spirytus and half with vodka.

But in the last few years, only vodka, cause that spirytus is too expensive for him since he retired lol

We gave my friend some of the cherries and he did the half and half, it's so pleasant when your lips go numb.

Edited by scorp
1 hour ago, DoctaMario said:

Most of the arguments  being thrown at him were hilarious and terrible,  but he was right, and I say this as someone who was a pretty serious 3s player for quite awhile. Parry trashes a lot of things that make some 2d fighters work and cuts down on the complexity a bit, although 3s was meant to be a different type of game than sf2 so I think comparing them is kind of moot. 

Nah parry is what gives that game complexity and depth, the entire meta revolves around the parry and various option selects as well as timing mixups around it.

Viscant was just trolling. But I also am not even sure when the US players even learned SGGK, Japan had a lot of stuff figured out that the US just didn't know or even think of. Japan is still crazy ahead and 3s is one of the, if not the, largest old game scenes around today. It's definitely way bigger than ST honestly, which is often cited.

I probably asked Jay about this 15+ years ago, I don't think he believed in what he wrote then and certainly wouldn't now. He probably regrets it now, people change in 15 years, they tend to gain maturity. He probably feels bad that he dissuaded people from playing that game. He did play it himself, although he certainly was no Kuroda. If someone wants to argue with a 3s player on mechanics, Kuroda is the guy to argue with, and I don't see anyone winning those arguments against him. Daigo and others also understand the game but might not play it, but the most they'll ever say is the game has "BS in it" but all games do.

Also Doc I think I saw you post on r/fighters, my guilty little pleasure that I laugh at sometimes. Not sure if I saw you on fc2 but I feel like I saw a similar looking name a few times on replays against some people I know.

Here's a video that covers this entire thing and should be watched:

Edited by Serpent
9 hours ago, Serpent said:

Watching videos is niche to begin with, only people that are actively interested in improving will do so. The majority of great videos do not have English commentary, if any commentary at all they're in Japanese. And those niche people are precisely the ones that don't need the commentary in the first place.

So that means the commentary has to be more entertaining, along with technically informative. This is extremely difficult. There are very, very few television sports commentators, and we're talking people that literally make 7 and 8 figure salaries yearly doing it, that can do that. There are a bit more when you add in radio commentary, which is also very niche and only hardcore fans of a sport tend to listen to. And these commentators have the benefit of replays, slow motion, an entire crew to pull up stats and help with analysis, as well as talking to players and coaches before, during and after games they ask them questions and know what to look for in the future. Often on top of that they were elite level players or coaches themselves.

How many people in the FGC can fit that description and what entity can provide that team and resources? Maybe with Sony buying Evo we'll see a move towards that, but who knows, it probably won't be most of the current commentators.

Like others I strongly disagree with your first paragraph, but I mostly agree with the conclusions you've drawn.

I think Evo does pretty well for commentary already.  There's a bit of politicking there, but for the most part they can have their pick of the litter, and they pay their commentators (at least for main games).  People being able to be semi-pro commentators for sure helps get some of them to level up.

The odd exception are smaller games.  You can have a game like Pokken that probably has 100 serious players in the whole country*, yet they have really good commentary running off of pure passion.

*Probably.  I haven't counted.

15 minutes ago, Serpent said:

Nah parry is what gives that game complexity and depth, the entire meta revolves around the parry and various option selects as well as timing mixups around it.

Viscant was just trolling. But I also am not even sure when the US players even learned SGGK, Japan had a lot of stuff figured out that the US just didn't know or even think of. Japan is still crazy ahead and 3s is one of the, if not the, largest old game scenes around today. It's definitely way bigger than ST honestly, which is often cited.

I probably asked Jay about this 15+ years ago, I don't think he believed in what he wrote then and certainly wouldn't now. He probably regrets it now, people change in 15 years, they tend to gain maturity. He probably feels bad that he dissuaded people from playing that game. He did play it himself, although he certainly was no Kuroda. If someone wants to argue with a 3s player on mechanics, Kuroda is the guy to argue with, and I don't see anyone winning those arguments against him. Daigo and others also understand the game but might not play it, but the most they'll ever say is the game has "BS in it" but all games do.

Also Doc I think I saw you post on r/fighters, my guilty little pleasure that I laugh at sometimes. Not sure if I saw you on fc2 but I feel like I saw a similar looking name a few times on replays against some people I know.

Yeah I used to play a ton of SamSho V Special  on fightcade and I post in r/fighters once in awhile so you more than likely saw me there. 

As for parry giving the game depth, I don't agree, but I guess everyone has their opinion of what constitutes depth. I like 3s and used to play it pretty seriously, but once I learned more about fighters in general, I saw that a lot of the things I thought about it weren't actually true and that universal mechanics can be a double edged sword when there's no cost to utilize them. 

4 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

The last boss of KoFIXV, Verse iirc, releases the souls of all the dead warriors when he dies. In other's they can bring back whoever they want now.

I read up on that last night. I should be ashamed since I actually own that KOF but haven't bothered to beat story mode yet 😂🤦🏾‍♂️

1 hour ago, scorp said:

All I know is, my dad has been making a cherry liquer for over a decade now since they planted some cherry trees in their backyard.

Usually made it with half spirytus and half with vodka.

But in the last few years, only vodka, cause that spirytus is too expensive for him since he retired lol

We gave my friend some of the cherries and he did the half and half, it's so pleasant when your lips go numb.

lol.  now that I've thought about it, I kinda miss the numbing part of alcohol.  if I could get that minus the dizzy and throwing up I'd probably still drink.

21 minutes ago, Reticently said:

Which reminds me that grandma's generation of home cooking was not what it was cracked up to be:

Hide contents

spacer.png

Well, you know, I've never had chicken and waffles, looks crazy but people seem to like it. Tuna 'n waffles, maybe it's good without that mushroom soup poured on 🤔

2 hours ago, Serpent said:

Here's a video that covers this entire thing and should be watched:

It is like, like, like the commentator doesn't get that mix ups are not the same as mind games, much less anything else.

His arguments are mushmouth half-assed justifications for how horrible 3S is, that actually managed to bite themselves in the bum but he doesn't have the nerve function to see it, for gumming his booty hole for want of brain function.

He's actually pretty incredibly fucking stupid.

20 minutes ago, JHDK said:

It is like, like, like the commentator doesn't get that mix ups are not the same as mind games, much less anything else.

His arguments are mushmouth half-assed justifications for how horrible 3S is, that actually managed to bite themselves in the bum but he doesn't have the nerve function to see it, for gumming his booty hole for want of brain function.

He's actually pretty incredibly fucking stupid.

Did you just call Bafael, one of the biggest tech and tutorial makers, stupid?