Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread: Now Featuring Animated Avatars

Well, early consensus is that I really like the PS5. 

I think one of the coolest aspects so far is just how seamless and fast everything is. The menus don't stutter or lag like they did all the time on PS4. No more dashboard locking up just because you pressed the home button during a game. No more shitty unresponsive menus in the store. Everything just works. 

The in-game load times are insane. Booting up a title and actually getting into the gameplay can't take longer than 10 seconds. Even my PC doesn't load shit this fast. Then, you practically have no load times when actually playing. Warping back to the Nexus now? Child's play. Takes less than 5 seconds to transition to entire new worlds and the way they envelope the whole screen in fog to disguise transitions has such an impact on the immersion and momentum of the game. 

I've already seen tons of little changes besides the obvious graphical stuff. Quality of life changes, little deviations to mess with returning players... Man someone at Bluepoint played Demon's Souls just as much as I did because it's obvious they're huge fans themselves. 

I have so much more to say but I feel like I'm just getting started using this thing. Still gotta boot up Spidey and the Resident Evil Village demo. 

Backwards compatability stuff has been pretty cool too, but I'd like to try that with more games before commenting. @AriesWarlockyou might be dissapointed to hear that the only real difference Soul Calibur gets is a boost in load times. It pretty much just runs like the PC version now, which hey, that's better than a straight PS4 port I guess lol.

In a more ideal example, however, a game like Nioh 2 gets upgraded to the Remastered re-release for free if you owned it on PS4. Pretty cool. 

hmm... I'd probably have fun with Soul Calibur on PS5 then.  The issue of load time in that particular game is one of the most unacceptable things I've seen happen in this entire console gen, actually.  In fact the latest SC stands out as one of my most regrettable purchases of the entire xb1/ps4 era.  I've never taken the time to post a negative review for anything on Live or PSN or whatever....until that piece of shit.

Anyway---more awesome shit in Werewolf-- one of Cahal's attacks is actually a projectile of wind and force.  Yeah, this beast is so strong, that even if he swipes the air in your general direction... you still get hit with the force like a ranged attack.  The character's strength is that ridiculous. 

8 hours ago, M A R T I A N said:

you might be dissapointed to hear that the only real difference Soul Calibur gets is a boost in load times.

The only games that have significant upgrades without developer patches are games with unlocked frames, dynamic resolution, or games that targeted a certain frame rate but couldn't maintain it under stress.  This list should be helpful although it's a few months old.

18 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

The only games that have significant upgrades without developer patches are games with unlocked frames, dynamic resolution, or games that targeted a certain frame rate but couldn't maintain it under stress.  This list should be helpful although it's a few months old.

This list was super helpful. I own most of these so I got to try a lot of them. 

Days Gone actually looks like a next gen game with the bump to 60FPS. I mean it just looks amazing. I'm actually excited to get farther in that.

Anthem is like.. Literally no different, outside of load times. Which are still total trash and way too long. It's hard capped at 30FPS so it really just looks like blurry garbage still. Not sure why it's even on that list. 

Dark Souls 3 does bump up to 60FPS and loads instantaneously. Very nice. 

Dead by Daylight runs superb. Also jumps to a stable 60FPS, loads faster definitely has minor graphical detail increases like better anti aliasing and maybe some more texture detail. 

Nioh 2 looks great. Instead of choosing between performance mode or graphic mode you pretty much just get both modes at once. Looks and runs phenomenal. 

Same deal with Sekiro. Jumps to 60FPS and looks like a brand new game for it. 

These are just some of the more notable ones I've tried. I'm really, REALLY excited to try God of War and Ghosts of Sushi on this thing. 👍

@Martian I am in both camps. I'm like "Awww he got digital" cuz I like physical and don't want it to go away and yada yada, but also believe you should buy whatever you want. 

On the PS5 subject, Man Sekiro at a solid 60fps would really help the frustration factor in that game a lot. Load times for DS3 sound sick to and a solid 60fps would be really nice. I hope Fromsoft patches Bloodborne...i really do. Might fuck with the game too much tho...i dunno. 

Still pretty awesome the BC on PS5 seems so solid. 

heh, sheeeeitttt, I was just talking about Anthem yesterday with an old college buddy who also played it... most fans agree in basically the same issue--- the potential in that game is huge, but it's sadly a case of failed execution, though the core gameplay is awesome... still the best flying I've ever had fun with in a game.  It's just a shame they messed up on so many other things with that.  If the other things were as great as the gameplay, it probably would've been a "Destiny killer" for real...certainly had more of my attention, at least.

Here's Cyael once again with the latest quality rant on Avengers... I can't get enough: 😄

To continue beating the dead horse here... "meanwhile, in Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3...." I was trying out new team combinations early this morning with Dr. Doom, Dr. Strange, Hulk, and Cable...and I may add everyone's current favorite super-OP witch to my lineup (I've heard she's quite ridiculous in this game; heh, accurate to the character...).  It's silly to even compare the rosters here for 2 seconds, man.... like comparing Karate Champ to MvC2.  Seriously... 5 months later apparently and all they've added in that shit is Kate Bishop?  Bruh..🤣

Edited by MillionX
26 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

I hope Fromsoft patches Bloodborne...i really do. Might fuck with the game too much tho...i dunno

There's really no reason for it to be stuck at 30 frames.... Unless they actually plan to do a re-release of the game at some point, which I do think is highly likely. The fact that every other Souls game jumps to or maintains 60 while Bloodborne remains locked at 30 is certainly... Suspicious, if nothing else. 

28 minutes ago, DangerousJ said:

What about mk11, sf5, Tekken 7?

Any significant improvement?

MK11 has a free PS5 upgrade that adds stuff like Native 4K, performance gains and small graphical improvements. 

SFV is pretty much verbatim to the PC version. Faster load times but practically the same game. 

Tekken 7 is pretty much the same game as well. You can't double the render resolution like you can on PC unfortunately, so it doesn't look quite as good, but it does have faster load times offline. 

So far I have yet to see any real significant upgrades to fighting games, outside of stuff like load times. Which, hey, I'll never complain about getting back into matches faster. 🤷🏾‍♂️

56 minutes ago, M A R T I A N said:

Nioh 2 looks great. Instead of choosing between performance mode or graphic mode you pretty much just get both modes at once. Looks and runs phenomenal. 

I wish it ran phenomenal for me. The performance I get is unstable. I can get above 60FPS most of the time but the frame rate takes a shit when there's a lot going on onscreen. It gets worse whenever I fight in a youkai field as the particle effects puts a heavy stain on performance. When doing the second main mission when I reached the burning storehouse everything went to shit. I was dropping below 30, there was shuttering everything and the whole game just became a slideshow in this area. Quite unplayable. I'll turn down the setting the next time I boot it up but so far things haven;t been smooth. 

1 minute ago, Hawkingbird said:

I wish it ran phenomenal for me. The performance I get is unstable. I can get above 60FPS most of the time but the frame rate takes a shit when there's a lot going on onscreen. It gets worse whenever I fight in a youkai field as the particle effects puts a heavy stain on performance. When doing the second main mission when I reached the burning storehouse everything went to shit. I was dropping below 30, there was shuttering everything and the whole game just became a slideshow in this area. Quite unplayable. I'll turn down the setting the next time I boot it up but so far things haven;t been smooth. 

Damn, and that's on PC? I was considering grabbing it there but maybe I'll hold off if even your rig can't handle it. 

1 hour ago, M A R T I A N said:

You get the remastered version for free on PS5 if you already own the PS4 version, so you can now run the game in 120fps, and load times are pretty much instant.

1 minute ago, M A R T I A N said:

Damn, and that's on PC? I was considering grabbing it there but maybe I'll hold off if even your rig can't handle it. 

This is a case of poor optimization. Temco Koei has a poor track record when it comes to PC ports. I did a co-op mission with friends and they didn't experience the issues I did. Hopefully tinkering with some setting will do the trick. If not I might have to wait for updates if they ever come. 

10 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

I see you @M A R T I A Nthrowing a coffee emoji on my PS5 search post.

It's been like 3 days and homie already forgot the struggle. Shame on you, you big doo doo head. Shame on you. 

I think you misunderstand. If I hit the coffee emoji on a post, it means I'm doing the forum equivalent of this with you: 

1608700145_200(1).gif.7aa4a437e5c4102f7f6b8f6f80f6eb09.gif

Edited by M A R T I A N
2 hours ago, M A R T I A N said:

There's really no reason for it to be stuck at 30 frames.... Unless they actually plan to do a re-release of the game at some point, which I do think is highly likely. The fact that every other Souls game jumps to or maintains 60 while Bloodborne remains locked at 30 is certainly... Suspicious, if nothing else. 

MK11 has a free PS5 upgrade that adds stuff like Native 4K, performance gains and small graphical improvements. 

SFV is pretty much verbatim to the PC version. Faster load times but practically the same game. 

Tekken 7 is pretty much the same game as well. You can't double the render resolution like you can on PC unfortunately, so it doesn't look quite as good, but it does have faster load times offline. 

So far I have yet to see any real significant upgrades to fighting games, outside of stuff like load times. Which, hey, I'll never complain about getting back into matches faster. 🤷🏾‍♂️

120fps SamSho though... 🤣

Just now, YourFavGrandpa said:

Ended up switching things up, and picked up Esparade Psi for PS4 over Switch. If it's as good as I think it is, I'll double-dip on the Switch version. Also had the missus sign off on $100 worth of PS4/PS5 games from the PS Store ... I was like ...

spacer.png

It's a fantastic port, one of M2s beat Shottriggers releases. 

It's also the only port of ESP Ra. De. So you know that to. 

You are reminding me that I still need to scoop the Dangun Feveron M2 release on PS4. 

Edited by RSG3
1 hour ago, Sonichuman said:

Google fuckin up

https://www.ign.com/articles/terraria-on-stadia-canceled-after-developer-is-locked-out-of-google-accounts

I don't care about Terraria personally but this is kinda messed up.

After seeing all the hardships and cash that MS has and still goes through to be in the industry basically at second or third, why do these big tech fools think they can just stroll in with new tech but no idea how to present or make games and make enough of a splash to win big?

Just now, misterBee said:

Oh are we talking about shmups again?

Let's talk about Cotton Reboot.  ❤️

Cotton-Reboot_10-20-20.jpg

I can't wait for them to remake the later titles so that my stupidly expensive copy of Cotton 2 is finally worthless. 🙃

I'm not that big a fan of Cotton, least not Cotton Original anyway. I might pass on the remake. I may just get it to support Shmuos tho...i unno. 

Edited by RSG3
3 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

Warner bros actually secured the patent for the Nemesis system

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-02-06-five-years-later-warner-bros-gets-its-middle-earth-shadow-of-mordor-nemesis-system-patent

Sooo if anyone tries to do anything similar there might be trouble.  Welp...

WB out here killing creativity. I hate that this mechanic is gonna be dead for 15 years. 

1 hour ago, Hawkingbird said:

WB out here killing creativity. I hate that this mechanic is gonna be dead for 15 years. 

It is kinda bizarre that they'd go this far too patent this when nobody else has done that in the industry.  Hell some of the best games made in this industry see an idea and try to apply it to something else or improve on it...its just the way the industry works.  So long as they aren't unabashedly ripping off then everything is fine.  Can you imagine if any dev in the past patented mechanics?  We'd be stagnate AF. 

Edited by Sonichuman
2 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

It is kinda bizarre that they'd go this far too patent this when nobody else has done that in the industry.  Hell some of the best games made in this industry see an idea and try to apply it to something else or improve on it...its just the way the industry works.  So long as they aren't unabashedly ripping off then everything is fine.  Can you imagine if any dev in the past patented mechanics?  We'd be stagnate AF. 

The Mondor games is mixed pot of borrowed ideas. The games wouldn't exist without Assassin Creed and the Arkham games. 

Welp, finished Age of Calamity. Lots of other stuff to do after the credits rolled, though. I'll probably play it on the side of other games now.

About the little guardian, Terrako.

Spoiler

Yeah, ya'll were right to be sus of the little guy but it SUCKED when Ganon infused him with malice and we had to fight him. My feels, man. Thankfully, we can rebuild him. We have the technology.

At the end

Spoiler

Everyone is cheering Link on as he's about to strike the final blow and of course, Revali gotta be all "Don't screw this up"

what GIF

Speaking of Revali. 

Spoiler

Not only did I not get to see that feather whoopin' I wanted, by saving him, I prevented it.

stephen colbert adult humor GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert