Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread: Now Featuring Animated Avatars

We're getting ever closer to Christmas and this is the last Friday beforehand I'm going to make  2VGM Friday posts.  This first one will be more focused on Winter/Snowy themes.  The second one for later will be my usual random post based on my playlist.   (fair warning there's a good number of music in this spoiler)

Spoiler

Mario always seems to have some of the best 'Winter' themes.

^ I posted this in the VGM thread a few days ago

Still playing Octopath Traveler after taking a few days break from it to focus on other things. 

I’m still on Chapter 2. I just finished up Olbric’s mission. I’m mid-quest in Ophelia’s chapter 2 quest. I still have Aylrn, H’aanti and Primrose’s to do as well. 

I also found all the shrines that let players have secondary classes. Right now my main traveler, Therion the Thief is just an attack spammer. With all the abilities from other classes he’s unlocked he has a 50% chance of counter attack even if the opponents attack whiffs. Which is great cause he has almost 600 evasion. A 50% chance of attacking after a non-damaging attack (whenever I steal, basically) a 50% chance of an extra standard attack and a 25% chance of being able to act again at the end of everyone’s turn. 

you unlock half SP cost (the games MP) through the Merchant job class so I had the mages, Ophelia and Cyrus learn those ASAP so they can spam spells. 

it’s weird to me that a common complaint for this game is that it’s a grind fest. But I strongly disagree. My suggested levels right now are 22-27 but my characters are all upper 30’s to mid 40’s. Outside of a few instances I haven’t gone out of my way to grind and even then they weren’t the most fruitful. 

Like most old school RPG’s or modernized old school RPG’s I’m sure there’s a way to power level towards end game. We’ll see though. 

this is such a great game. 

Edited by iStu X

Ohhh... a Direct out of nowhere...? (ha, I just got on to youtube to finish up a podcast I like and this popped up a notification on me)

edit---ahh whatever... I just noticed the fine print that this is about the theme park^...."no game content" 👎

it is funny that there's 20k+ people in chat and so far it doesn't appear to have any active moderators...this should be fun. 🍿

On another note---yeah... in Diablo I've joined the TRILLIONS club with that necromancer I mentioned earlier.  The characters/builds this season are even more outrageously OP than ever before thanks to the 4th cube slot and a few other changes.  It still amazes me that Blizzard has done all these little changes and updates for free over the years....they probably would LIKE to charge like other companies but realize that would absolutely not go over well with the Diablo fanbase.  The only things that ever costed money were the Necromancer expansion and that previous one that added the Crusader.

Edited by MillionX

haha I'm already wondering what I can get away with in that chat...those the things I find funny are usually tame and juvenile by most people's standards, with my "doody-juice, LOL!" 3rd grader sense of humor. 😄  Speaking of which... that theme should be the basis of my next Diablo character... a Barbarian for sure...or a Crusader.

..I think the first Barb I ever made in D3 was based on Shao Kahn, actually... it's easy to re-create him with that character class, as you could imagine.

*In other news though---that Fenyx Immortals game is on the sale currently, so more than likely I'm getting that next.  The usual stuff that's been on sale a billion times is there as well---the Res.Evils, all Assassin Creeds (when are they ever NOT on sale other than launch day?), that Power Rangers fighting game I keep putting off, etc.

Rhykker's new vid on Diablo Immortal just now

Of course I'm already wondering if this has a slight chance of ending up on a Switch or perhaps a "SwitchPro" if that indeed becomes a thing soon... 'cause I'm still not (and probably never will be) a fan of playing games on a phone.... (heh, and wouldn't it be funny if Immortal ended up being better than D4?! 😄 EDIT****----OH....just remembered as Rhykker reiterated the point... this is an MMO.  Well, so much for THAT silly idea of it possibly being the better game 🤣)

...actually I'd be a bit more open to gaming on a tablet as long as there's the option for actual, "real" controls via usb/whatever port. 

edit---I wonder how many times the developers for this and other ARPGs wonder why they even have to bother with putting any real effort into story and lore... since for some insane reason, the majority of fans for this genre DOESN'T seem to care about that....a shame, imo....most games would be fairly stale if I didn't care at least a little bit about the world, characters and the general idea of what's going on.  This just one of the issues where my opinion seems to differ greatly from that of most arpg fans....most of them appear to *only* care about the stats and whatever the top-tier builds are....seems like you'd burn out pretty fast on a game if that's the only reason you're playing it.

Edited by MillionX
3 hours ago, MillionX said:

Rhykker's new vid on Diablo Immortal just now

Of course I'm already wondering if this has a slight chance of ending up on a Switch or perhaps a "SwitchPro" if that indeed becomes a thing soon... 'cause I'm still not (and probably never will be) a fan of playing games on a phone.... (heh, and wouldn't it be funny if Immortal ended up being better than D4?! 😄 EDIT****----OH....just remembered as Rhykker reiterated the point... this is an MMO.  Well, so much for THAT silly idea of it possibly being the better game 🤣)

...actually I'd be a bit more open to gaming on a tablet as long as there's the option for actual, "real" controls via usb/whatever port. 

edit---I wonder how many times the developers for this and other ARPGs wonder why they even have to bother with putting any real effort into story and lore... since for some insane reason, the majority of fans for this genre DOESN'T seem to care about that....a shame, imo....most games would be fairly stale if I didn't care at least a little bit about the world, characters and the general idea of what's going on.  This just one of the issues where my opinion seems to differ greatly from that of most arpg fans....most of them appear to *only* care about the stats and whatever the top-tier builds are....seems like you'd burn out pretty fast on a game if that's the only reason you're playing it.

I'm on the fence about this game. Part of me thinks it might a fun, hack and slash to play on the go if I don't feel like bringing my Switch with me where I'm going, and part of me thinks it's absolutely going to be a pay 2 win shitfest. It looks like fun from what I can tell, but I've never played Diablo seriously at all. I do remember playing a couple of those Dungeon Hunter mobile games and those were actually pretty decent Diablo clones for what they were.

sheeeitttt, I'm continuing on with D3 this season since it has been more fun than ever... 7 out of 8 done for the Destroyer challenges.. then only 2 more categories remain after that...currently paragon 537.  I also mastered a set dungeon for the first time recently; it helps that Necro apparently has the easiest set dungeons... I did the Rathma one on the 2nd or 3rd attempt.  ... going further into the Greater Rifts; I did a 77 earlier today. (haha, that old buddy with the horrible builds all the time was actually saying GR20 was "impossible"; the shit still cracks me up when I think of it...it's hilarious for so many reasons....my frustration is that it is ONLY my fellow D3 fans that would understand all the nuances of that.)  Heh, in the beginning, I never figured my obsession with this game would go this deep.  

Edited by MillionX
On 12/18/2020 at 12:56 PM, iStu X said:

Still playing Octopath Traveler after taking a few days break from it to focus on other things. 

I’m still on Chapter 2. I just finished up Olbric’s mission. I’m mid-quest in Ophelia’s chapter 2 quest. I still have Aylrn, H’aanti and Primrose’s to do as well. 

Spoiler

I also found all the shrines that let players have secondary classes. Right now my main traveler, Therion the Thief is just an attack spammer. With all the abilities from other classes he’s unlocked he has a 50% chance of counter attack even if the opponents attack whiffs. Which is great cause he has almost 600 evasion. A 50% chance of attacking after a non-damaging attack (whenever I steal, basically) a 50% chance of an extra standard attack and a 25% chance of being able to act again at the end of everyone’s turn. 

you unlock half SP cost (the games MP) through the Merchant job class so I had the mages, Ophelia and Cyrus learn those ASAP so they can spam spells. 

it’s weird to me that a common complaint for this game is that it’s a grind fest. But I strongly disagree. My suggested levels right now are 22-27 but my characters are all upper 30’s to mid 40’s. Outside of a few instances I haven’t gone out of my way to grind and even then they weren’t the most fruitful. 

Like most old school RPG’s or modernized old school RPG’s I’m sure there’s a way to power level towards end game. We’ll see though. 

this is such a great game. 

I played it for a little while and then  never went back to it for some reason.  Who did you start off with?   I was using the priestest chick I think, starts in a church.    You should check out Star Renegades

...Why SS4 Gogeta though especially when Blue Gogeta kinda is already an amalgamation of all the Gogetas?    I'm wondering how they're going to differentiate him.  Super Baby I thought was fine since he has some uniqueness to him but eh...I'll wait and see on this I guess.

Edited by Sonichuman
50 minutes ago, RegH81 said:

Yo, they are really putting characters from Dragon Ball G---- Ahem, I mean characters from that show we don't talk about in FighterZ? Huh. 

This been happening since early season 2 with GT Goku breh. 

They said early on they want to appeal to ALL fans of Dragonball with their roster additions, not just the more popular series'. I respect their commitment to that.

Frankly, I hate GT in almost every way, but it did have some cool designs and some characters that would make for fun fighting game dudes. 🤷🏾‍♂️

Quite an annoying little thing... recently they've stopped showing the file-size on games on the Live store for some reason.  Before, it would be there in the description.  That's useful info that you now have to search online when you could just see it right there previously....and it's not like any of these systems are generous with the HDD space.  

Currently, I'm down to about 30-something gigs remaining, which I'm sure isn't quite enough for your average non-indie game these days... at this point I keep having to temporarily uninstall older stuff just to make space for the next game if it's a major one.

WWE Battlegrounds just came to mind though, as one I could uninstall.... man, talk about disappointment...that game is shameful.  There's a question for the thread there... what has been your most regrettable game purchase for the XB1/PS4/Switch era?  I'd rank WWE Battleground pretty high on that list, due to the absolutely pathetic customization (*it's outclassed by WWF Warzone from the goddamn PlayStation 1, bruh.  That's sad.)  The next thing that comes to mind is Borderlands 3, where the only great thing about it was the gameplay itself, and the robot character FL4K... I also liked the older "Operative" one; forgot his name at the moment...but it annoyed me to constantly hear how quickly he gets out of breath when you run.  I know he's old but come on, brah...that shit is annoying and goes against the idea that your character is a super badass that's here to save the day....the guy gets winded after a couple of seconds of light jogging 👎   Then there is Anthem.... another case where the gameplay was great...but everything else was a downer.

3 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

...Why SS4 Gogeta though especially when Blue Gogeta Kinda is already an amalgamation of all the Gogetas?    I'm wondering how they're going to differentiate him.  Super Baby I thought was fine since he has some uniqueness to him but eh...I'll wait and see on this I guess.

The only think i can think of is that SSJ4 Gogeta will be an amalgamation of what Goku and Vegeta did as SSJ4. 

That, or he will be a showcase of stuff from Dragon Ball Heroes

2 hours ago, MillionX said:

There's a question for the thread there... what has been your most regrettable game purchase for the XB1/PS4/Switch era?

Dead or Alive 6 - It had improvements over 5 but the online was bad, the shitload of grinding for unlocking stuff and weird waves of DLC (1 character per season) ruined the experience.

MvC: I - Played it all the way through the final dlc release, but FighterZ outclasses it in every way.

Metal Slug XX - An old game that finally got a widespread release. I'm a huge Metal Slug fan, but this was dull and uninspired compared to the better games of the series.

aha, and the mention of fighting game disappointments brought my mind right over to Soul Caliber VI.  Fuck THAT game, man....half-ass piece of sorry shit.  Those super/ultimate moves look cool at least.. the customization in particular; I realize most serious fighting game fans don't care...but they really shit the bed with that nonsense.  EACH change you make...the game has to load.  Imagine, you cycle between 10 different shirts/armors for your character...and the game has to load each and every goddamn time you move to the next shirt to see how it looks...then it has to load for EACH pattern or color you apply, EACH texture, EACH change to hair, fighting style, accessories, etc. etc.  PURE garbage.

6 hours ago, MillionX said:

There's a question for the thread there... what has been your most regrettable game purchase for the XB1/PS4/Switch era?  

Skyrim VR. And it was only because the game made me motion sick so I couldn't play it 😞

I was able to get through the RE7 demo with some dramamine, so maybe I'll try that with Skyrim. 

9 hours ago, MillionX said:

There’s three games I’ve regretted buying for my switch 

breath of the wild

fire emblem warriors

smash ultimate. 

everything else has been I more or less got what I paid for or I got way more than I thought I’d get. 

for PS4 I think the only games I’ve regretted buying are Arsland Saga. Which was a Musou based of a really popular manga. The combat was horrible 

Kingdom Hearts III. One of the most disappointing follow ups we waited over a decade for. Absolute fucking garbage. 

im sure there’s more but those are what directly come to mind 

Edited by iStu X

Good thing I avoided Fire Emblem Warriors... normally I enjoy a musou Dynasty Warriors kinda thing, but the more I found out about that one, the more off-putting it became for me....and fortunately it wasn't that long after that we'd get the port of Hyrule Warriors.  Once that was out, FE Warriors no longer had a chance of regaining my interest.

My regrettable purchase on Switch was fortunately a super-cheap one... Sparkle 2 Evo... at least from the basic concept and description, this sounded like something I would enjoy.  Unfortunately, the game is terribly boring.  The "Sparkle" games always seem to be on sale for some ridiculous price like 85 cents or 1 dollar, maybe 2 bucks at most.  I played it once... then never again.

14 minutes ago, MillionX said:

Good thing I avoided Fire Emblem Warriors... normally I enjoy a musou Dynasty Warriors kinda thing, but the more I found out about that one, the more off-putting it became for me....and fortunately it wasn't that long after that we'd get the port of Hyrule Warriors.  Once that was out, FE Warriors no longer had a chance of regaining my interest.

My regrettable purchase on Switch was fortunately a super-cheap one... Sparkle 2 Evo... at least from the basic concept and description, this sounded like something I would enjoy.  Unfortunately, the game is terribly boring.  The "Sparkle" games always seem to be on sale for some ridiculous price like 85 cents or 1 dollar, maybe 2 bucks at most.  I played it once... then never again.

My issue with FE Warriors was they added way too many fire emblem elements in it. Which, you know, I get why they would. But a lot of it is counterintuitive to what a Musou is. So it felt like a game constantly fighting with itself. 

also yeah, I’ve bought a few shovel ware games.  Most I don’t regret though cause it’s a “I got what I paid for” situation.