Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread: Now Featuring Animated Avatars

I'd love it if Soul Sacrifice Delta got a remake on today's systems....it's such a shame it was shackled to the Vita...a lot of people missed out on one of the greatest games ever made, imo....this was fresh on my mind since I charged up one of my Vitas and played recently.

One thing in particular I loved was that recurring idea of sacrifice.... the big example of this was the top-rank "ultimate" spells which were called "Black Rites".... I like that idea that ultimate, potential game-changer spells like that come with a heavy cost to the user.  Each of those had some kind of harsh penalty that happens if you cast it... like "Infernus" leaves you with defense being cut in half.. and there was another one that causes you to constantly bleed to death afterwards, others where you become crippled (no more fast/evasive moves) or even blinded (you can still see but the vision is terribly limited).  It forces the player to carefully consider when to use such magic, if at all.  You could only fix these consequences with a resource called "Lacrima".  Early on this is much more of a big deal because a new player won't have a lot of that resource built up...so you may use it as a new character and just kinda be fucked over for quite some time.  

https://soulsacrifice.fandom.com/wiki/Delta:Black_Rites

• "Black Rites are powerful moves that the player gains throughout the game. In exchange for being so powerful, they have restrictions on when and how often they can be used. In order for the option to use a Black Rite to even appear as an option, the player must first take a significant amount of damage, and upon using the Black Rite, the player will then be inflicted with a negative effect (which varies based on the Black Rite). A Black Rite can only be used once a quest and will then need to be restored using Lacrima."

Original:

Delta:

Delta was everything the first was but better, so the original isn't even necessary, imo.  Words can't do it justice how much I adore this game.   If I made a "Top 100" favorite games list, Delta is at least in the top 10 range for me.

I miss Soul Sacrifice too. Was just talking about it with a friend the other day actually. You can't even really emulate it either without it being a pain in the ass since the Vita had all those touch screen controls and shit. 

Game definitely deserves a sequel, or at the very least a port to consoles with full online. Don't even have to Remake the graphics... Just give me the same exact game in high definition and I'll eat that shit up day 1.

Another thing is that level of depth...there's SO many layers there that people aren't even aware of... one could write a damn research paper about this game, man... the various types of magic and how some spells interact with others, then there's how death works in the game and how that can affect a battle (*surviving allies choosing to save or sacrifice you, and how that choice will affect things going forward, then you being in spirit form if you died, and what you're capable of then, etc.)  It's fascinating in so many ways.  There's even a spell that creates trees with fruit that grants various bonuses...and you could use healing magic to keep the tree going... there's SO much going on in this game, it's crazy.

I was fortunate enough to play online back when Delta was new.... it was surprisingly a smooth experience, with multiple people playing the same quest/area.  I forgot if I ever got sacrificed though... I think it happened one of those times.  (*if the others choose to sacrifice a downed player, this act triggers a magical effect that is a Black Rite-level cast against the boss monster....but of course that comes at the cost of losing someone being there in physical form, though they are still on the battlefield now as a spirit, still able to do certain things and help in other ways.)

One of the most memorable fights was early on when lacrima was a scarce thing, making this a bigger decision----whether or not to use my Infernus spell... against the Harpy.  That was the first battle I had trouble with....it was thrilling, epic shit... waiting until I figured she might actually be weakened enough that Infernus would finish the job....but that would be a gamble since I didn't know for sure...and I'd be under that 50% def penalty from that point on, whether she survived it or not....and yep, she survived...it would come down to the wire and I ended up defeating her...but only barely surviving the ordeal myself...and now with halved defense....  Such good times, with this game.  As she lay there dying...it would be with great satisfaction that I walked over... and immediately chose to sacrifice the bitch.

Edited by MillionX

Itagaki creates new studio called....Itagaki Games

https://www.gematsu.com/2021/01/dead-or-alive-and-modern-ninja-gaiden-creator-tomonobu-itagaki-establishes-itagaki-games

Itagaki also open to Microsoft buying his studio.  Not sure if that is going to work or not considering his past relationship with them aaaand...his output after leaving Team Ninja.  Starting to feel like Itagaki still thinks his name carries the same weight that it did during the Xbox/PS2/GC generation and it really comes off that way in the interview.

Those of you that have Mortal Kombat 11 on Switch, how does it run? I've been considering picking up the game for that system since most of my gaming is on my Switch these days. Buuuuut I know there is not Komplete Edition (or whatever the name that has all the kontent for it is called)  for the Switch version. Mofos stay not wanting to go higher than 32GB cards for their Switch games,

Space Invaders Forever is all kinds of fun. It is worth it for Space Invaders Extreme alone. That game is such a good take on the Space Indavers formula. Since it is a Taito game, we got godlike ZUNTATA music! And your shoots actually help create music. So dang cool. 

10 hours ago, RegH81 said:

Those of you that have Mortal Kombat 11 on Switch, how does it run? I've been considering picking up the game for that system since most of my gaming is on my Switch these days. Buuuuut I know there is not Komplete Edition (or whatever the name that has all the kontent for it is called)  for the Switch version. Mofos stay not wanting to go higher than 32GB cards for their Switch games,

Space Invaders Forever is all kinds of fun. It is worth it for Space Invaders Extreme alone. That game is such a good take on the Space Indavers formula. Since it is a Taito game, we got godlike ZUNTATA music! And your shoots actually help create music. So dang cool. 

I haven't played it on the Switch but I will defer you to DF's vid on it

Last I've heard is that the krypt ran like garbage but the actual fights run at 60fps.  Of course concessions have been made in terms of graphics and what not but it looks good considering.  Don't know if there have been any patches that have improved anything since this vid though.

On 1/17/2021 at 1:16 PM, Hawkingbird said:

Crowbcat Cyberpunk video!

Honestly I've always thought these type of videos were just dumb. Like the fans that burn jerseys of a player that leaves in free agency dumb. In this case it's even worse given the refund situation with CP2077. You already gave them your money.....so what is the point. I mean Godfall is trash. I could posted a Youtube video of smashing the case or return the game and get something I'll actually enjoy. I choose the latter.

25 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Honestly I've always thought these type of videos were just dumb. Like the fans that burn jerseys of a player that leaves in free agency dumb. In this case it's even worse given the refund situation with CP2077. You already gave them your money.....so what is the point. I mean Godfall is trash. I could posted a Youtube video of smashing the case or return the game and get something I'll actually enjoy. I choose the latter.

I like these type of videos because I like looking at how deep of a hole the publishers and devs dug themselves when marketing the game. When someone wants to know why there's so much anger at Cyberpunk a video like this sums it up nicely. 

19 hours ago, RegH81 said:

I have it and it runs excellent. They obviously had to make some graphical concessions, but the game runs tight and at a consistent frame rate and uts been one of my most played games in the past 6 months. 

I've been watching more and more of these arcade cabinet videos on youtube... I'm really tempted to get one of those "megacade" setups...though I'm still tempted to get an Arcade 1up machine out of pure convenience, since you can get those immediately from any Walmart....just yesterday, I checked again, halfway inclined to buy one, but I didn't see either one I would've bought---TMNT and the Mortal Kombat machine (the MK one includes the original, part 2 and Ultimate 3.)

My main thing would be those CPS 1 and 2 games... since certain ones will NEVER be officially released again.  (e.g. Aliens vs. Predator; there is no hope for this due to licensing... this 1 game was the main reason I modded my PSP.)

edit--the only thing of note they had was the Pacman one...which of course did NOT have Ms. Pacman included 👎 (it's looking like we'll never see an official re-release of Ms. Pacman on anything ever again due to the mess with the royalties and trademark there; fortunately I at least have it as a 360-era Live Arcade game currently.)

One little nitpick that always irked me about the home versions of Mortal Kombat II... a reason for having the actual arcade game... that little bass sound after the announcer says "Fatality.".  it is not present in any home version as far as I know...

You hear it as the the word "Fatality" drips.  For years it bugged me that we just didn't get that little audio detail in the home versions.

edit---another missing thing; the long scream was also absent from the SNES version I remember; I don't remember if the Genesis version didn't have it but it's doubtful, since audio in Genesis games was generally inferior anyway.  The most common situation people remember the long scream was when characters were being knocked into the pit.  On SNES they just played a regular scream over and over as the character falls.

Edited by MillionX

Played a good chunk of Hallow knight last night and I'm currently in hallownest. 

Best worst area in a game ever. I hate being there, but I appreciate how they make me hate it. It's not because it's boring or uninteresting; it's because it's so incredibly anxiety inducing. The claustrophobic corridors, the limited visibility, the  seemingly random enemies, the enemies respawning...

The place is so good at telling you it's bad. Love it.

Also, playing Hollow knight before and after I've played fighting games is pretty cool. My pattern recognition is better and I'm better at the execution "twitch" stuff too. 

I don't think I actually fought it my first playthrough, but Brooding Mawlek woulda fucked me up in the first time I played. 

11 hours ago, MillionX said:

I've been watching more and more of these arcade cabinet videos on youtube... 

My wife got me one for Christmas though I'm yet to get it set up. But apparently you can add games to it, possibly from a thumb drive, so that would take care of my retro arcade setup if true. The control panel is pretty nice too. 

7 hours ago, Hecatom said:

Lmao, someone got banned from retardera for finding the Hachishakusama lady from RE8 hot 😂

831.png

So wait, the guy who said that got banned but the mod in the post above has a title that reads "Gordon Ramsay can stuff me any day?" Wut? I really think the internet being democratized has made it worse. 

Classic mode in Bloodstained is pretty excellent and pretty tough too, I got the the last level last night but the third level is very tough towards the end. Its got a ton of nods to the original Castlevania, the layouts of some of the levels are similar too. 

Fallen Legion Revenants demo out

Nioh director: No current plans for Nioh 3, but hopes to return to series in the future; Ninja Gaiden news coming soon

Ninja Gaiden News Coming Soon

Speaking of the Ninja Gaiden series, Yasuda told The Gamer to look out for news regarding the series in the “near future.”

“Nothing to announce or note specifically this time, but if the Ninja Gaiden series hadn’t existed, then there wouldn’t have been a Nioh series,” Yasuda said. “So that’s a really important series to Team Ninja. While we don’t have anything specific to announce at this time, I would like to say just look forward to some potential news for some kind of announcement in the near future.”

The developer again teased Ninja Gaiden when asked about series protagonist Ryu Hayabusa.

“Yeah, so that character is the most important character from all of our franchises,” Yasuda said. “So, considering he’s so important, I would definitely like to have him make an appearance again in a game coming soon, and I would like to announce details about that in the future, as soon as possible.”

Back in September 2020, Hong Kong distributor Game Source Entertainment listed and removed a “Ninja Gaiden Trilogy” for PlayStation 4 and Switch. According to the description, it includes Ninja Gaiden Sigma, Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2, and Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor’s Edge. Publisher Koei Tecmo has yet to comment on or confirm the accuracy of the listing.

https://www.thegamer.com/team-ninja-interview-fumihiko-yasuda-nioh/

On 1/17/2021 at 5:25 PM, MillionX said:

I'd love it if Soul Sacrifice Delta got a remake on today's systems.

On 1/17/2021 at 7:06 PM, M A R T I A N said:

I miss Soul Sacrifice too. W

You gotta tell them on the facebooks and twitters and pspodcast@sony.com. I want that shit on modern consoles, too. BluePoint Games would do wonders with that game!

On 1/15/2021 at 4:36 PM, iStu X said:

In case anyone who is wondering who the girl is in the picture: her name is Rae Lil Black. 

oh, her Google search is def nsfw

Dude, I have heard about her. She's a big metal fan!! 🤘.. that's, uh, how I know of her.

aL9MYeYn_700w_0.jpg

65462337_631988433963471_493064911467000

Morbid Angel shirt? SIT ON MY FACE ALREADY!!!

Edited by AriesWarlock

hell YEAH you know that Switch version of Amalur is absolutely getting bought.  Ha, this is another one of those games I've bought multiple times at this point.  I have it on 360, ps3... later I eventually got it on pc...now xb1 and here we go with a Switch version.  Yeah, folks... this will be the fifth time I get this game.  I'm hoping there's a physical version, of course.

hold on... so all they've added at this point is Kate Bishop?!  Bruhhhhh 🤣  What kind of people are at the helm running this game?!

MEANWHILE  in Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, you have all the popular X-men, the Avengers, the Guardians characters, Spiderman characters, Dr. Strange, Venom, Punisher, Blade, Magneto, Ghost Rider, Panther, Scarlet Witch, Moon Knight, Luke Cage, etc. etc. etc...all these people are playable.  It's not even CLOSE.  These fools take forever to put out an extra character....and it's Kate Fuckin Bishop, while Hawkeye (another archer; oh how exciting) and Black Panther are still late no-shows.  What is this foolishness? 😆

ray liotta laughing GIF

Edited by MillionX

Takaya Imamura retires after 32 years at Nintendo. 

He was the lead character designer for F-Zero and, Star Fox as well as being the one who created the design of Majora’s Mask. (And also came up with its name). He also created Tingle. 

Additionally he was a character designer lead and supervisor on the last two Smash Brother titles 

Edited by iStu X
3 hours ago, iStu X said:

Takaya Imamura retires after 32 years at Nintendo. 

He was the lead character designer for F-Zero and, Star Fox as well as being the one who created the design of Majora’s Mask. (And also came up with its name). He also created Tingle. 

Additionally he was a character designer lead and supervisor on the last two Smash Brother titles 

Ahh man...I'm hoping we aren't reaching the point yet when the legends and old guard starts retiring yet.  I'm not ready.

11 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Did anyone watch the Resident Evil showcase? Want to know before I waste my time on what looks like an hour long stream.

It’s not an hour, it’s about 15 minutes. Village looks dope af. and this is from someone who hasn’t cared about RE since 3. 

Edited by iStu X