Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread: Now Featuring Animated Avatars

ok, yeah the 2nd season pass in Borderlands 3 is absolutely worth it for me, with more interesting stuff...basically the Arms Race mode and more importantly a whole extra skill tree per character was what sold it for me.  This kinda makes up for the fact that they haven't added new characters, imo.... a new skill tree + new "action skill" for each one is an awesome thing to me.  There's also a "Final Form" skin for each character which is drastically different from their normal design.

52 minutes ago, MillionX said:

2nd season pass in Borderlands 3

I was just thinking about how game prices really haven't go up at all in my lifetime. Consoles have stayed almost exactly the same since the NES ($4-500 bucks a system in 2021 dollars)

Games have actually gotten considerably cheaper .Back in the SNES days, games would cost you around $100 bucks at least in 2021 dollars. 

Then Million threw a wrench in it with DLC. Every game has DLC now, and depending on the game, you could be spending anywhere from ten bucks to hundreds of dollars to get all the content available in a game. 

So, now I'm wondering, is DLC evil, or is it beneficial to the consumer? It reduces the risk of wasting money on something you don't want, but increases the cost of getting everything you want if you actually like the game. But games also have way more content in them today than they did even 10 years ago, so it's a pretty even trade off?

TLDR; Video game news is slow so I'm musing on the ethics of videogame consumerism like an asshole. 

Edited by KingTubb

yeah that's the interesting thing; prices have effectively gone up...just in a sneaky way via DLC.  To get "all" of the game, basically one has to spend the usual 60... + something like 5, 10, 20+ extra for that inevitable DLC or "season pass" thing.... 

Just with the 3 components of Borderlands 3 at this time...

B3 base game = 60 bucks.

Season 1 = 50!

Season 2 = 30.

So, for the game + both passes we're talking about $140 bucks there.  😄  Also, keep in mind how the average big-budget game these days releases with some type of special edition...sometimes multiples like "Legendary" and "Ultimate", "Deluxe", etc.... and sometimes those specials are easily over 100 bucks.

thanks to the ms rewards thing I took some off the price yet again... I was at 12k points so I used some of that to knock 10 bucks off season 2.  I still don't have season 1, actually.

edit--the extra tree for FL4K also gives a new pet-- a Loader bot!  Ohooooo that's my new little buddy for sure.  I instantly traded up for that little dude.

Edited by MillionX
On 1/11/2021 at 9:50 AM, iStu X said:

D-D-D-DOUBLE POST! 

Classic Mode coming to Bloodstained on 1/14

the polish government is now looking into CDPR

WB Games has scrapped all of Gotham Knights current combat engine in order to rebuilt it so it’s more co-op friendly 

apparently there’s a borderlands movie happened and it begins filming soon. 

Legendary Tetris player Jonas Neubauer passes away at 39. Cause of death not given. 

I hope the switch version of Bloodstained classic comes on the 14th too but I'm not gonna hold my breath. 

And man, I was awake when someone from the Classic Tetris discord sent the message about Jonas. Incredibly sad, he was one of the guys who put the Classic Tetris championship on the map and a lot of the younger classic players learned watching him, especially Joseph Saelee who is a classic Tetris world record holder at 18 or 19. Either way, this news is a serious bummer for the community and because he was so young. 😭

Double post for me too! 

Got back into playing Bloodborne a bit. I picked a character I started for PvP back up and hit a chalice dungeon with her last night and goooooooood lord is it tough. I've gotten a couple good blood gems though so there is that and am getting better with her weapons. 

...ehhhh hopefully Bethesda has as little to do with that Indiana Jones game as possible.  Otherwise we're bound to get scenes of Indy's hat magically clipping into his left arm while his right leg suddenly becomes the whip... as a 3-headed Shortround stands by his side, partially submerged inside a wall and the ground.....just before it all crashes and you're looking at the Xbox dashboard again instead.

sheeeittt, at this point, I already love Dead Cells so much, I don't need to even know the particulars of the next dlc.  It's as good as bought.

Borderlands 3-- that first go at Arms Race mode was rough... the basic thing is that you start off with nothing; no weapons or special "action skills" abilities, etc., and it's set up like some crazy reality survival show contest sort of thing, with Axton and Salvador from part 2 as live commentary hosts.  I'm loving it already... I got to the boss and just barely made it....that boss had shields on top of armor on top of his health.  

My FL4K is still only level 5 at the moment; I have a Zane that is level 25.

edit--would be nice if the money characters have was shared... my Zane currently has about 2.2 million cash!  This was thanks to another friend that played with us recently; he had that gun that shoots other guns.... he used that to put a ton of guns on the ground in Sanctuary, many of which were purples and some legendaries... and of course we promptly started selling all that to the vending machines for big-time cash.

..next character will likely be Moze; not so sure I would like the siren of the group this time around.

Edited by MillionX

Man I would totally hop back into Borderlands 3 if they weren't commiting to this dumbass "no dlc characters" mantra. Like, wtf? I can't think of a better way to add content to the game, and I can't think of a better way to kneecap replayability by limiting us to these 4 dudes that I maxed out during the first launch week. 

Borderlands 2 released how long ago now...? Like 10 years and 2 games later and I'm STILL getting my money's worth out of that game. Crazy. 

It's sad cause I do like the gameplay. But it has a lot to match up with in terms of sheer content with its predecessor. Not to mention the amazing characters, environments and legendary weapons 2 was able to produce. 

2 hours ago, Chadouken said:

@MillionX did you play that game Anthem? I remember liking the concept, and flying around like Iron Man and shit. But the game had a loot or fucking problems. Which is a shame, because it had potential to be great.

yeah, Anthem is another case where I enjoyed the gameplay a LOT... but the rest of that game was pretty much a disaster; various technical problems, a noticeably shallow loot pool and some questionable design elements.  It was still soooo much fun to play, imo... the way flying works is the about the best I've ever enjoyed in a game.  There's such a natural flow and seamless transition from ground combat, to zipping around in the sky like Ironman.  I still have hope for whatever they make "Anthem 2.0" out to be.  The potential is strong there.

heh, some stuff was soooo overpowered too, and I tend to shamelessly love that... like right off the top of my head I remember this item called "Best Defense" for the heavy class... this shit is a rocket launcher that gives you +35% armor (healing) back when you hit an enemy.  Of course, that's quite easy to do since duh...it's a rocket explosion with splash damage all over the place!  This is on top of that heavy class already being one of the best "tanky" characters I've ever played in a game...the shit is borderline invincible, man.  You have a physical shield with tons of health that recharges fast...on top of regular "armor" health that is way beyond that of other classes... and then this "best defense" item that always keeps you healed up with no problem. ("Best Defense" skill activation had a cooldown but it was very short...like 3 seconds; the shit was silly) Playing this character would often feel like you're just cheating 🤣  

Edited by MillionX
1 hour ago, M A R T I A N said:

Man I would totally hop back into Borderlands 3 if they weren't commiting to this dumbass "no dlc characters" mantra. Like, wtf? I can't think of a better way to add content to the game, and I can't think of a better way to kneecap replayability by limiting us to these 4 dudes that I maxed out during the first launch week. 

Borderlands 2 released how long ago now...? Like 10 years and 2 games later and I'm STILL getting my money's worth out of that game. Crazy. 

It's sad cause I do like the gameplay. But it has a lot to match up with in terms of sheer content with its predecessor. Not to mention the amazing characters, environments and legendary weapons 2 was able to produce. 

yeah this still bothers me too... over a year later, and B3 still has those same characters it started with.  It's such an odd choice to *not* do dlc characters again when the previous 2 games in the franchise set up the expectation.  Right when the game was released I was already looking forward to what kind of new characters they might have show up later.  When it comes to characters/roster in any game, I'm always thinking there's no such thing as "too many"...we could always use more.  One of the selling points for Smash Ultimate for me was that insane roster the game has...something we haven't really seen since the MvC2 days.

19 hours ago, Chadouken said:

What's up with the Blueblood sword? Is that any good? I've been rocking the Crescent Falchion+5 for most of the game and have my magic stat up pretty high.

It’s a great weapon but it scales off luck. You usually need to make a build around it to take full advantage of the weapon. I focused on magic as well, so I stuck with the crescent falchion. 

17 hours ago, Chadouken said:

What's up with the Blueblood sword? Is that any good? I've been rocking the Crescent Falchion+5 for most of the game and have my magic stat up pretty high.

Its one of the beat swords in the game, if not the best. Can be tough to Forge tho.  

My favorite sword is Blind. It's held by Selen Vinland. You need to kill her Red Phantom. That sword ignores shields and is Transparent. 

Edited by RSG3

ha, I just got a legendary in Borderlands 3; the rate of fire on this thing is so nasty.... and it's corrosive damage; the enemies have no chance against it.  I also reset Zane's skills so I could focus on 1 skill-tree at the moment.

Random generalized nitpick---"charm" abilities in games... it irks me that this shit is usually lame....because the duration is always too short for the ability to be worth something...devs always program it to be something like:

"On hit, 2% chance an enemy will be charmed.  Charmed enemies fight for you for 4 seconds." <---bruh GET the hell out of here with that puny nonsense.  Sometimes, they write this effect to be so short...by the time the AI starts attacking something, it's already over of the enemy gets killed anyway.  Stop being a wimp and make that power last....give me something like "charmed enemies fight as an ally for the next 65 seconds or until death." at least.  If one is scared of this becoming OP, you just limit the shit so you can only have 1 or 2 of them turned to your side at a time.

In Diablo 2 I see that "revive" at least gave you a resurrected monster as an ally for 180 seconds; see now that's good stuff right there. (*I had to check D3 again just now since it has been a while since I used the "revive" ability... D3 only has them fight for you for 15 seconds, though it can be slightly extended with a certain rune, and a passive, I think.)

One thing I do find interesting about the Borderlands 3 villains is their powers... they are like siren siphons; as Tyreen herself puts it... able to steal the powers from any living thing.  Heh, that superpower has always been pretty damn busted; I love it...and it's not just an "XCOPY" sort of thing; the victim no longer has the power.  They're also able to understand and use it in advanced ways right away.  A really cool thing Troy starts playing around with is the ability to grant power to others now after they siphoned a certain someone... so now he's upgrading ordinary human bandits into beings he has dubbed "The Anointed"...and then they have cool powers.  Ha, that shit is pretty awesome, actually.  Maybe these characters might win me over eventually... I like their visual design and powers so far...

Ok yeah, before that little trailer was even halfway over I'm already sold on this.  Third-person perspective, future-tech sci-fi stuff, FAST action, a quick-dash movement skill... this is giving me so many things I like right away.

It does remind me that it's such a shame Capcom seems content to just let Lost Planet die as a forgotten relic of the 360 era... they took a wrong turn with part 3 which looked bad in every possible way, and that was a wrap for the franchise.  Haha, 1 thing I remember being especially off-putting...the main character had this slow trot for a run that looked silly...it was a bit goofy and slow, like how a 72-year old woman might run....and I think he vaguely looked like Nicholas Cage for some reason.  This may be one of those times when fans should just go on pretending it never happened, like this Dragonball GT thing some people allege exists for some strange reason.

30 minutes ago, MillionX said:

It does remind me that it's such a shame Capcom seems content to just let Lost Planet die as a forgotten relic of the 360 era... they took a wrong turn with part 3 which looked bad in every possible way, and that was a wrap for the franchise.  Haha, 1 thing I remember being especially off-putting...the main character had this slow trot for a run that looked silly...it was a bit goofy and slow, like how a 72-year old woman might run....and I think he vaguely looked like Nicholas Cage for some reason.  This may be one of those times when fans should just go on pretending it never happened, like this Dragonball GT thing some people allege exists for some strange reason.

It was also a shame we never got that LP spin-off which looked very fun

2 hours ago, iStu X said:

Why launch a 2 minute trailer yesterday when you’re just going to launch a 7 minute trailer today?!

Yep sounds about Nintendo. Ugh this probably means we are still going to get these small trailer drops and still no big Nintendo Direct showcases for non indie titles going forward. 

But Bowser's Fury is looking much nicer then expected even as a side content pack in.

Braved outside and went to Family Video, since word's out that they're closing all of their stores due to COVID. 

Ended up spending $130 and got Jedi Fallen Order, The Outer Worlds, Death Stranding, and Immortals Fenyx Rising on PS4. They really didn't have a whole lot of stuff, except for XBox; and of course; XBox last gen ... well, they were something else. Switch games were practically non-existant at this store.

Immortals and Jedi have next-gen stuff for PS5, and I suppose the other two will eventually get fidelity enhancements for PS5 as well.

edit: there's also word of a separate deluxe and collector's edition for KOFXIV that go on sale tomorrow morning (the tweet said either 3pm or 4pm UK time), so I'll get up early for that; and dependent on how much it is; I may bite for one. These editions are limited to 2000, and 200 respectively. I'll grab the tweets and post them separately, Here's hoping that the collector's edition isn't 100 Euros or some crazy shit like that.

Edited by YourFavGrandpa
blah