Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread, vol. 2

22 minutes ago, Phantom_Miria said:

This tweet is actually correct. Here is my defence:

Pictured below is Alex's Stomp from Street Fighter:

(alexstomp).gif

As you can see, Alex (a white male) is stomping. This symbolises the oppression that his kind has enforced on minorities for centuries. This is why, if you input up, down, left, right and stick a wet finger in your ass, you will unlock the movelist on the dipswitch screen of the arcade release of the game. This move is labelled "Boots of Oppression." This theory is further proven if we choose Alex's LK color, pictured below:

char_alex_colors.png

You can see by his altered skin tone and colored tattoos that he is parodying RDJ in Tropic Thunder. He is mocking the struggles of people "below" him.

In conclusion, don't pick grapplers.

13 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

Who's Antonov?

He was introduced in KOF 14. He was the second-to-last boss in that game. This is what he looked like in 14.

spacer.png

A billionaire who brought all rights to the KOF tournament, Antonov put himself as the final opponent and declares himself The King of Fighters. He’s also the only legit host the series has had, hosting a tournament without any weird or evil stuff happening. Some bullshit ends up happening with the final boss but it wasn’t intended by Antonov.

I'm hype for this next update in SFVCE.  But I'm also here to vent because a troubling follow-up happened to my twitter misadventure from April.  

LAST TIME ON POWER RANGERS BATTLE FOR THE GOSHDARN GRID!

Coming from a Mel Brooks household as an American Jew in a family of New Yorkers, we commonly used analogies and humor to ensure we never block our history from our minds, immortalize it in our vernacular to learn and teach those after us.   Now, a LOT has happened since my Brooksism was first uttered.  We've had congresspeople from Tennessee and anti-vax lunatics compare the ostracizing of those who don't want to wear masks or get their shots to what my ilk suffered over in 1930s-40s Europe.  And for obvious reasons I'm not going to be more up front about my Judaism on my other socials when Israel is on their crap because that can be taken all sorts of bad ways.  So if anyone is upset about me using my Mel Brooks-esque exaggerations in light of all that, I do firmly apologize and I'll be more mindful from this point onwards.

Months ago during the twitter hunt, someone saw me use such an exaggeration completely of context and told me that I am beyond forgiveness.  I bit my tongue and didn't tell him where he could stick his cross-burning redneck non-forgiveness because at the time it would be viewed as whataboutism and I was being watched closely.  Last week I decided I would get back on the BFTG grind for the LATAM community, because the MVCI LATAM community showed up in droves last month and I thought there was an untapped region waiting for bigger exposure.  I hired commentators so that I didn't have to be on the mic, as that was my penance for what had happened when my analogy on stream hit funny and I'm a professional who can suck it up and take accountability when I have to.

HOWEVER

The BFTG community has been weaving a tale of me being all these horrible things long before any of that came to pass, and me standing up for myself telling certain people they're out of pocket for carrying on like that so long after the fact has been taken as me showing zero remorse for whatever misdeed I may have done.  So what should they do to rid themselves of this tension, might you ask?

Speak to me privately to understand why I wouldn't apologize to them, and in fact demanded an apology from them?  No!

Be done with me entirely and just ban me from the group chat?  No!

Issue a formal consequence for my misdeeds, such as a formal ban on any events I run in their group?  No!

No, I woke up Monday morning to use the bathroom and see that both commentators I tapped for my next event, which was supposed to be proof of my penance that I was willing to step aside from commentary even as certain people told me how I can and can't talk about Jewish stuff, were told by the community of all of my misdeeds and as such it would be a bad look if they worked my event.  On top of that, one of the commentators doubled down on how I was a bad person for being anti-Semitic (I AM JEWISH TO A POINT I EVEN FOLLOW DIETARY LAWS AND VISITED HOLLAND ON MY OWN DIME TO PAY MY RESPECTS TO MY ILK AND THOSE WHO STOOD ALONGSIDE THEM), spread that gossip to the LATAM community along with the other goyims who can't just fess up, and hijacked my event for his recently half-baked "Sentai themed eSports."  

While I'm flattered that I live rent free in the heads of these nincompoops to a point where an event four months after my mishap and keeping my head down and serving my sentence isn't enough for them...while I'm flattered that they're so far up their behinds that they can't stop and realize how myopic they're being not realizing why I'm taking the stance I'm taking about demanding an apology from them rather than the other way around...they can't even bring themselves to just outright say I'm banned, or suspended, or whatever.

Instead, they go to people I bring on specifically to show my sincerity and sabotage my event from behind my back.  Is it not enough that I turned a blind eye to when the community leaders openly badmouthed my events actual months before anything calamitous happened?  Is it not enough that I smiled and nodded when some of those same people wound up being my colleagues for Frosty Faustings and I chose to study their commentary habits closely for the smoothest stream possible?

I'm not interested in forgiveness from people who have the mental fortitude packing peanuts in the rain, who throw stones from glass houses because their own moral capacity is nonexistent.  And to be quite honest, it says way more about them that they're willing to go this extra mile to sabotage me like the game belongs to them, rather than let me run my events in peace...because they know people will watch and people will enjoy it.  In all honesty, if I had put it through my usual channels and my voice was absent as promised, it would have likely drawn eyeballs that would have improved its visibility for the better.

The most laughable part is that some of these people I'm probably going to see at Summer Jam just because the game is so minute nowadays it'll be difficult for us to avoid each other when it comes time for tournament.  Why make things even MORE awkward than they already are, like I'm not going to at least say hello?  

I'm not cancelling my event.  If no one enters I'll shrug my shoulders.  But bare minimum, today I'll go to work with the knowledge and security that regardless of whatever flaws I need to work on, my authenticity and sincerity are worthy of Rangerhood.

Anyway, I was at an old-school monthly in Baltimore a couple of weeks ago and did stellar.  Check out the throwback uniform I got for it.

Edited by Psychoblue
On 8/11/2021 at 12:52 AM, Sonero said:

snip

You can't balance a FG with 40 characters, sure, but you can make all of them somewhat viable so you don't end up with Dan-Tier characters like SFV 2.0 Ryu.

When it comes to balance, it's enough to just minimize the gaps between tiers. There will always be characters that just ain't as good, but as long as the lower tier characters aren't bad to the point they're just an unfun struggle, that's ok.

+R Ky is an example of a low tier that's perfectly fine, he doesn't feel gimped despite being on the lowest tier, it's just that he doesn't have good MUs against a pretty important chunk of the cast.

The nature of competitive games like fighting games means that you will always have tier lists, even on very balanced games you will have Top and low tier chars.

For example, Battle Fantasia, iirc, the low tier chars where chars that basically only had 6:4 mu against them.

I think that balancing games with large rosters is doable when you give the chars some basic skeleton to cover the most basic scenarios.

Recent Kof's for example have been better balanced, but like i said, due the nature of competitive fgs, even if the differences between tiers are minimal, players will flock to the chars that have better perceived odds.

And i am sure that balancing a game is not detrimental for the game being fun and you can do it without nerfing everything into oblivion.

Another thing to take, is that balancing is not only done with competitive players in mind.

An example is Tager from BB, where we have seen him struggle for many games, and is mostly to 2 things, his magnetism gimmick while being a grappler with a 360 & 720, and that his archetype is a noob/mid level players destroyer, even more with his tool kit as it has been across the games.

It is something that people seem to forget, and is what explains why sometimes there are balance changes that seem baffling.

Then there is also, things like battle directors having design philosophies that can be at odds at times on how the communities behind the games would like to see the game evolve, like the time that Ono said that they made the Twins overtunned because he thought that the communities need villains to defeat, or how Itagaki said that it was impossible for a wrestler to beat a ninja, which translated into the ninjas on DOA3 & 4 being stronger than chars like Tina and Bass.

Or how infamously Pachi dislikes grapplers, hence why Potemkin has sucked from Xrd onwards compared to his previous iterations (and to certain degree Tager too).

Edited by Hecatom
1 hour ago, Psychoblue said:

So if anyone is upset about me using my Mel Brooks-esque exaggerations in light of all that, I do firmly apologize and I'll be more mindful from this point onwards.

Why apologize for any of it tho? Do you genuinely feel bad for using that choice of words or are you just apologizing to cover your ass? Either way, there's a group of spoiled 20 year olds who don't know shit about shit that everyone's afraid of, but if more people told them to go fuck themselves, maybe they'd stop and think for a second. You only enable people like that when you apologize, and you've done far more for the community than they ever have, so they should be the ones apologizing to you for being unfun twatrags. 

1 hour ago, Volt said:

You can't balance a FG with 40 characters, sure, but you can make all of them somewhat viable so you don't end up with Dan-Tier characters like SFV 2.0 Ryu.

When it comes to balance, it's enough to just minimize the gaps between tiers. There will always be characters that just ain't as good, but as long as the lower tier characters aren't bad to the point they're just an unfun struggle, that's ok.

+R Ky is an example of a low tier that's perfectly fine, he doesn't feel gimped despite being on the lowest tier, it's just that he doesn't have good MUs against a pretty important chunk of the cast.

People don't care about balance as much as they say. DBZ has been horribly balanced yet one of the most played fighting games ever, same with Third Strike, while MSH is supposedly one of the most balanced fighters Capcom ever made and all I ever hear about it is how boring it is. 

4 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

Why apologize for any of it tho? Do you genuinely feel bad for using that choice of words or are you just apologizing to cover your ass? Either way, there's a group of spoiled 20 year olds who don't know shit about shit that everyone's afraid of, but if more people told them to go fuck themselves, maybe they'd stop and think for a second. You only enable people like that when you apologize, and you've done far more for the community than they ever have, so they should be the ones apologizing to you for being unfun twatrags. 

I'd apologize because since then others have taken that and ran with it when they don't have any skin in the game like I do.  To anyone who DOES have skin in the game, I'm willing to offer a discourse because people got different ways of processing this stuff.

BUT make no mistake.  I'm not apologizing to these guys because i'm 100% certain they aren't in that list of exceptions.  

46 minutes ago, Psychoblue said:

I'd apologize because since then others have taken that and ran with it when they don't have any skin in the game like I do.  To anyone who DOES have skin in the game, I'm willing to offer a discourse because people got different ways of processing this stuff.

BUT make no mistake.  I'm not apologizing to these guys because i'm 100% certain they aren't in that list of exceptions.  

You've probably done more for your respective communities than I have more mine, but you don't owe those people anything. You're doing them the favor, not the other way around, and if they can't see that... I love the SamSho community but I could walk away from it if I had to and stuff like this would make me consider it. 

2 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

You've probably done more for your respective communities than I have more mine, but you don't owe those people anything. You're doing them the favor, not the other way around, and if they can't see that... I love the SamSho community but I could walk away from it if I had to and stuff like this would make me consider it. 

I feel you, I backed away from CVS2 for a while because it was just becoming a headache having to deal with my TO getting mad that I was intruding on "his" game.  For BFTG I felt like I had unfinished business and I wanted to leave on my own terms, not because these manchildren wanted to pretend they kicked me out.  After this I'm going to just watch the community wither and shift my focus to the other games on my rotation.

Speaking of SamSho, I will absolutely help record footage at Summer Jam!  The only reason I don't play that is the trash netcode, but if we're locked up again with this Delta Variant then I'm going to stop making excuses and join your Parsec stuff.

1 hour ago, Psychoblue said:

I feel you, I backed away from CVS2 for a while because it was just becoming a headache having to deal with my TO getting mad that I was intruding on "his" game.  For BFTG I felt like I had unfinished business and I wanted to leave on my own terms, not because these manchildren wanted to pretend they kicked me out.  After this I'm going to just watch the community wither and shift my focus to the other games on my rotation.

Speaking of SamSho, I will absolutely help record footage at Summer Jam!  The only reason I don't play that is the trash netcode, but if we're locked up again with this Delta Variant then I'm going to stop making excuses and join your Parsec stuff.

The netcode is good when both players have good internet. When I connect to players from Japan, Korea, & Taiwan, the connections are always smooth because they have good internet there and I have fiber. The worst connections I get are from NA players because a lot of people try to play fighting games on wifi/cut rate internet or both at the same time. Hecatom and I had a good connection and he's in Central America. The "SamSho has bad netcode" thing is way overblown. 

Regardless tho, the help recording will much appreciated, so thanks for offering to do it!

Edited by DoctaMario
Just now, DoctaMario said:

The netcode is good when both players have good internet. When I connect to players from Japan, Korea, & Taiwan, the connections are always smooth because they have good internet there and I have fiber. The worst connections I get are from NA players because a lot of people try to play fighting games on wifi/cut rate internet or both at the same time. Hecatom and I had a good connection and he's in Central America. The "SamSho has bad netcode" thing is way overblown. 

Really?  Awesome!

All my favorite character like Amakusa, Basara, Shiki and Earthquake are in now so I'm definitely looking to play more.  I'll see what I can do!  Still on the SC3 AE mod that came out.  

1 minute ago, Psychoblue said:

Really?  Awesome!

All my favorite character like Amakusa, Basara, Shiki and Earthquake are in now so I'm definitely looking to play more.  I'll see what I can do!  Still on the SC3 AE mod that came out.  

Waitwaitwait, SC3 AE mod?? Tell me more. 

If you want to try to play sometime let me know, I'm down. 

Edited by DoctaMario
3 minutes ago, Psychoblue said:

an exhibition and information is here

Also here's me playing it!

Man, I loved SC3 and I know they fixed some of the bugs in AE. Might have to get on this. 3AE is probably one of the best SC games as far as being competitive, it's a shame they never ported it. 

Edited by DoctaMario
2 hours ago, GreatDarkHero said:

But, seriously. What the fuck *is* this batshit insane animation?

Well, it's easy, it's Medieval Allegory applied to animation and The Legend of Zelda.

The Wolf symbolizes sin within men in its violent and predatory form, his noble clothing is a form of social commentary on how people in positions of power frequently are also evil people who instead of leading their subjects toward righteousness and prosperity prefer to focus on their own greedy and sinful interests. In the animation the Wolf shoots down the Bird, a symbol of Peace, with his malicious gaze, symbol of his own greedy ambition. The death of the bird of Peace naturally leads into the Wolf's transformation into a Lion, a warlike animal that symbolizes strife. The Flames of War engulf the bird of Peace, and his remains are grisly consumed by the Wolf, who has turned into a more literal manifestation of his sinful nature, that of a devouring maw with an unending lust for material wealth and food.

Thus, we see the sins of ambition and greediness, very common among the ruling classes, leading to the destruction of peace and the beginning of war, all in the name of gluttony and lust. It is then up to the representation of the true Christian Maiden, Zelda, to fight off and defeat this vile manifestation of human sin, this is accomplished metaphorically by rejecting the desire for material wealth in favour of salvation for the soul, and also literally by having Zelda beating the ever loving shit out of that bitch-ass wolf, just like Jesus Christ Himself once did in the Bible.

We can therefore conclude that, if it wasn't for the fact that The Wand of Gamelon came out in 1993, this would have been considered a high point of late Carolingian art, and this is also a reminder that the CDI games are the only games with Zelda as a playable character.

1 hour ago, Phantom_Miria said:

Well, it's easy, it's Medieval Allegory applied to animation and The Legend of Zelda.

The Wolf symbolizes sin within men in its violent and predatory form, his noble clothing is a form of social commentary on how people in positions of power frequently are also evil people who instead of leading their subjects toward righteousness and prosperity prefer to focus on their own greedy and sinful interests. In the animation the Wolf shoots down the Bird, a symbol of Peace, with his malicious gaze, symbol of his own greedy ambition. The death of the bird of Peace naturally leads into the Wolf's transformation into a Lion, a warlike animal that symbolizes strife. The Flames of War engulf the bird of Peace, and his remains are grisly consumed by the Wolf, who has turned into a more literal manifestation of his sinful nature, that of a devouring maw with an unending lust for material wealth and food.

Thus, we see the sins of ambition and greediness, very common among the ruling classes, leading to the destruction of peace and the beginning of war, all in the name of gluttony and lust. It is then up to the representation of the true Christian Maiden, Zelda, to fight off and defeat this vile manifestation of human sin, this is accomplished metaphorically by rejecting the desire for material wealth in favour of salvation for the soul, and also literally by having Zelda beating the ever loving shit out of that bitch-ass wolf, just like Jesus Christ Himself once did in the Bible.

We can therefore conclude that, if it wasn't for the fact that The Wand of Gamelon came out in 1993, this would have been considered a high point of late Carolingian art, and this is also a reminder that the CDI games are the only games with Zelda as a playable character.

Cammy Cat Sf4 Gif by Markisy on DeviantArt

I... oh...

Spoiler

As funny as the animation seems, let me be honest, I can at least appreciate these deeper narratives, even in alignment with what is shown at the surface level. 

The shapeshifting ends up coming off as even more creepy when the viewer looks at it with full context and even in retrospect. 

And, the idea of this incarnation of Princess of Zelda actually crushing this... evil entity in to oblivion is gives me great delight. 

On 8/11/2021 at 2:20 PM, DoctaMario said:

I don't have a prescription for Adderall, but my wife does and I've taken it when we went to Japan and our sleep was all fucked up, and once or twice to quickly knock out big tasks I didn't want to do but needed to. I can absolutely see how it would give a player who's taking it a leg up, and I think it's a discussion worth having. If major sports leagues are banning it, I don't see why that should be a controversial thing for eSports as well. The McGwire/Sosa homerun contest is somewhat tainted by the fact that they were on gear while it was happening. 

I tend to agree with you especially since other sports leagues have banned it for a reason.   Its been known to increase focus and probably reaction time as well.    The whole prescription thing can be easily overcome if the person wants it enough.  I know in the UFC many fighters were getting prescriptions for TRT and it wasn't hard for them at all to do so until it was banned.  

6 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

Regardless tho, the help recording will much appreciated, so thanks for offering to do it!

When I did it at Combo Breaker I was thrown off because of the footage getting passed around between myself and Spooky, but I've been entrusted to record stuff locally and forward it to Arturo if I don't upload it on my own page.  If I get everything at Summer Jam assuming someone else isn't covering it, it'd just be a matter of finding commentators who can give me an update on what's gone down with the game since COVID first hit, and editing the footage in a way where it's a clean orderly view for them.  

50 minutes ago, BornWinner said:

Gootecks 

Gootecks

it's time to roast my former colleague again!?  Awesome!  *ahem* He looks like the Netflix adaptation of Bernie the Teacher from the Incredibles, or the bargain bin non-union counterpart stunt double for Bryan Cranston in Breaking Bad.   (Can confirm Gootecks wouldn't be acting in scenes that involve partaking in the meth)

spacer.png

Nothing's topping Dr Butler's photoshop, though.  

Edited by Psychoblue