Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread, vol. 2

16 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Yeah I think I should be able to pull it off. I just have to remember to pick the matches to stream before they start. I remember Vesper having that issue.

Can't you just watch tournaments while they happen ingame? Haven't really looked into that whole thing yet.

So I should note, this was a charity thing I was doing for the Quarantine Rapport.  Even if I had a 3-man round robin I was gonna run this thing just because having it on stream would have contributed to the very worthy cause of donating funds to charities dedicated to supporting those who lost their livelihood due to COVID restrictions.  There's gonna be another one soon as the Delta Variant sets us backwards.  

It's fine if you don't want to support my events, but keep my name out of your mouth when I'm doing people a mitzvah out of my own free time and usually out of my own pocket too.  I've spent what has to be close to 5 figures supporting games just because others wouldn't and someone had to do something to ensure there was a corner for it.  The most I've ever made off of doing this is a couple hundred splicing all that Capcom Cup footage, hardly a recoup of what I spent to make that happen.  While anything, even something as nice as a "thank you" is a bonus for helping the community, it's a bad look when you're openly badmouthing someone who is going out of their way to help not just the community, but those who are suffering real world problems.

On that note, I'm thinking about running the Quarantine Quarrels (my SFVCE tournament) under the Rapport banner.  Look forward to that.

On 8/15/2021 at 3:13 PM, Skort said:

These guys were speculating a SF 6 launch roster and this is what they came up with. 

Desktop-Screenshot-2021-08-15-17-10-45-5

Apparently the story will involve time travel and the sorts but i still think that roster is way off. Way too many world warriors and i really do not see both Bison and Nash returning ( at least for the main roster ) since they both died in SFV, even if the story involves time travel.

These guys are completely out of it. 

I dont think Capcom would repeat the mistake of only have 16 characters at launch, at the very least I think they'll strive for around the same numbers SF4 had for its console launch, 25. 

If they do 25 characters, I suspect around 5 would be brand new. These could be totally new or just playable for the first time. I think here is where we'll see Gen's apprentice, Phantom, Effie, etc.

As for the rest of the roster, I dont think we will have many SF2 WW in the launch roster. I think most of them will return as DLC though. Nash is probably one of the dumbest choices I've seen.

I think they'll probably pick a few of the characters that were high on the popularity poll but didnt make it in SFV, so characters like Makoto, Dudley, Viper, Maki, etc. No way is Balrog returning before Dudley, and no way Bison is returning before G. Sagat and Vega also being launch characters makes no sense whatsoever. They will most likely be replaced by either a Illuminati character before returning as DLC.

Edited by mykka

Trying to make myself play some ranked even though it makes me anxious, and just fought an Akira who did the heavy rush punch at 99 seconds round start every single time. Every. Single. Time.

I blocked and punished the first time, because I thought a random silver Akira might do that. Got hit the second time because I didn't think he'd do it again. Then I neutral jumped and full combo punished it the next 6 rounds straight.

Dude had full Akira launcher combos and Daigo set-ups, but never stopped doing that. Ranked is wild, man.

1 hour ago, Yiceman said:

Trying to make myself play some ranked even though it makes me anxious, and just fought an Akira who did the heavy rush punch at 99 seconds round start every single time. Every. Single. Time.

I do that with Karin's shoulder from time to time because it catches the opponent off guard and it's safe even if blocked. Akira's elbow is -4 though so that seems like a bad gamble to take. Might as well just go for a jump in.

5 hours ago, Yiceman said:

I love running into these players with Kolin. I remember running two Cammy's that always started with a Spiral. I'd V-Skill the hell out of them 😃

I throw out that elbow here and there as well after certain combos that leave the opponent just at the right distance. Most people have yet to keep that move in the back of their minds and won't instinctively get up blocking when they are at almost full screen. It's also a good tool for chip kills due to its range but I suppose that's more of an accepted use than just the YOLO version.

With Akira in general there's one weird thing I noticed recently and that's how she becomes progressively worse the longer a round goes. Her neutral isn't good (and also absolutely no fun IMO because youre restricted to very few tools) so the more time your opponent has to find their rhythm, the harder it'll be for her to get her snowballing offense started. Also, at leats from my perspective, both of her V-Triggers are bottom 5 material, so unless you're going up against a Vega or a FANG, chances are your opponent is getting stronger while their life bar shrinks whereas you don't. Maybe it's a weird analysis but that's how she feels to me after a solid week of play.

There's also a few other things that stand out, like the fact that she loses to zoners and fireball characters for the most part, but Dhalsim actually feels like a very good matchup. She's also the very first character I play in this game that doesn't seem to lose the Balrog matchup which might be a good reason enough to keep her as a side character.

I have absolutely not looked into Oro yet but the two or three I came across that seemed to know what they were doing or at least had some kind of gameplan outside of just cancelling everything into his Kick special (which is super unsafe) made him look really strong and annoying. I think he'll be a Top10 contender in a few months time, at least with Tengu Stone Trigger (the other one might as well not exist).

12 hours ago, mykka said:

These guys are completely out of it. 

I dont think Capcom would repeat the mistake of only have 16 characters at launch, at the very least I think they'll strive for around the same numbers SF4 had for its console launch, 25. 

If they do 25 characters, I suspect around 5 would be brand new. These could be totally new or just playable for the first time. I think here is where we'll see Gen's apprentice, Phantom, Effie, etc.

I managing my expectation with launch characters best basis is either KI or MVCI

Don't expect SCRAP characters to return especially Ono is out. priorities shift and story direction likely has change.

Neo shadaloo is likely to be dispose even G's establish story as a threat

12 hours ago, mykka said:

I think they'll probably pick a few of the characters that were high on the popularity poll but didnt make it in SFV, so characters like Makoto, Dudley, Viper, Maki, etc. No way is Balrog returning before Dudley, and no way Bison is returning before G. Sagat and Vega also being launch characters makes no sense whatsoever. They will most likely be replaced by either a Illuminati character before returning as DLC.

Agree on the poll,

Bison along returning as main that's the point of going back to alpha and would be settled in as a backstory

They probably just introduced new villains and organization at this point then put the previous one on the side agains because of the new management

2 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I wouldn't hold my breath. After SF3, Capcom has decided to jam the SF2 CE cast plus Cammy into every game. 

SF3 wasn't even supposed to be a Street Figher game. Lets stop blaming the SF2 cast as they are the mistake rather than the game that made fireballs ass, DPs lose invincibility and got rid of most of the cast people liked.

8 hours ago, delete_me said:

. Also, at leats from my perspective, both of her V-Triggers are bottom 5 material, so unless you're going up against a Vega or a FANG, chances are your opponent is getting stronger while their life bar shrinks whereas you don't. Maybe it's a weird analysis but that's how she feels to me after a solid week of play.

Neither Vega nor FANG are bad characters. People have memed how bad they are because they can't look past not having Aegis Reflectors as triggers.

8 hours ago, delete_me said:

I throw out that elbow here and there as well after certain combos that leave the opponent just at the right distance. Most people have yet to keep that move in the back of their minds and won't instinctively get up blocking when they are at almost full screen. It's also a good tool for chip kills due to its range but I suppose that's more of an accepted use than just the YOLO version.

With Akira in general there's one weird thing I noticed recently and that's how she becomes progressively worse the longer a round goes. Her neutral isn't good (and also absolutely no fun IMO because youre restricted to very few tools) so the more time your opponent has to find their rhythm, the harder it'll be for her to get her snowballing offense started. Also, at leats from my perspective, both of her V-Triggers are bottom 5 material, so unless you're going up against a Vega or a FANG, chances are your opponent is getting stronger while their life bar shrinks whereas you don't. Maybe it's a weird analysis but that's how she feels to me after a solid week of play.

There's also a few other things that stand out, like the fact that she loses to zoners and fireball characters for the most part, but Dhalsim actually feels like a very good matchup. She's also the very first character I play in this game that doesn't seem to lose the Balrog matchup which might be a good reason enough to keep her as a side character.

I have absolutely not looked into Oro yet but the two or three I came across that seemed to know what they were doing or at least had some kind of gameplan outside of just cancelling everything into his Kick special (which is super unsafe) made him look really strong and annoying. I think he'll be a Top10 contender in a few months time, at least with Tengu Stone Trigger (the other one might as well not exist).

Akira's VT1 is a little overrated but VT2 is okay if you learn it. It helps her neutral by making her stray  pokes lead to damage, and gives her more pressure options. I too find she has a problem opening people up who learn the match the lack of something like a good st.mk as a poke, lack of consistent anti-fireball tools, and st.lk being 5f start up is killer. I think she is fun but just kind of seeming mid tier at best feels lacking.

Edited by HonebamiX
52 minutes ago, Sonero said:

SF3 wasn't even supposed to be a Street Figher game. Lets stop blaming the SF2 cast as they are the mistake rather than the game that made fireballs ass, DPs lose invincibility and got rid of most of the cast people liked

None of this has any bearing on the situation at all. Just seems like a reason to bitch about SF3. 

56 minutes ago, Sonero said:

Neither Vega nor FANG are bad characters. People have memed how bad they are because they can't look past not having Aegis Reflectors as triggers.

I didn't say they were bad, I said they, like Akira, don't become particularly stronger the longer a round goes because their V-Triggers aren't too hot.

You can be good character without a strong V-Trigger but if you're going against a good character with a good V-Trigger you're at a disadvantage as soon as either health pool drops below 40%.

36 minutes ago, HonebamiX said:

Akira's VT1 is a little overrated but VT2 is okay if you learn it.

Yeah, it's definitely better than 1 and I have some success abusing the plus frames of the first part of the kick Target combo. But still, in the grand scheme of things, it's a pretty poor trigger. It just happens to complement her quite well, unlike Trigger 1 which is way cooler and ideal for Twitter highlights but doesn't really help her get something started.

After my time playing yesterday I think Rose has a decent matchup against both Akira and Oro. Neither of them have the buttons to match up with her on the ground it feels like, and she can beat out Oro's zoning with his v-skill 1.

The new buff she has to Soul Punish, allowing it to detonate and knock down when it interacts with an enemy fireball, is outstanding. Some people were upset she lost reflect, but I firmly believe, especially after this buff, Soul Punish is a way stronger fireball deterrent. I fought an Oro who was actually very solid (for ultra silver) and definitely seemed to want to back up and throw fireballs and v-skill orb to make me come to him. I could just drop a Soul Punish on him when he tried to v skill and he'd get blown off his feet. The knock down let me easily set up another one or turn on Soul Satellite.

Then he tried to jump in, tried to bait my anti air with double jump. Soul Bind bodied the double jump. From there it was just a matter of smacking him with standing heavy punch until victory.

Speaking of Soul Bind, the new buffs to that are great as well. I snagged a Honda doing  a cross-up butt-slam with the light Soul Bind. *chef's kiss*

"Decent" against Akira is kind of an understatement, from my experience that matchup is almost free unless by some miracle Akira corners her in which case Rose is getting mauled. But that really shouldn't happen when you look at Rose's neutral toolset and whatever sorry excuse Akira has in that regard.

I have to applaud Capcom though, after five years of hating Bison, Balrog et al, putting a character into the game that has zero answers to projectile zoning really makes you shift your perspective and start hating good ol' Sagat, who previously was just seen as a punching bag.

Ha, that's a cool mod.

I think I'm done with Akira though. If I had the patience to wait 40 seconds for an opening I'd have mained Gief in 2016. 

I wish you could counterpick on the rematch screen though, because I think she complements Rose really well. The only bad matchup they share from my experience is Falke and I can live with that because you run into her maybe once or twice a year.

7 hours ago, delete_me said:

Ha, that's a cool mod.

I think I'm done with Akira though. If I had the patience to wait 40 seconds for an opening I'd have mained Gief in 2016. 

I wish you could counterpick on the rematch screen though, because I think she complements Rose really well. The only bad matchup they share from my experience is Falke and I can live with that because you run into her maybe once or twice a year.

You can character change in tournament mode. Just shillin...um sayin 👀

Edited by Darc_Requiem
18 minutes ago, Sonero said:

For the people playing Akira, is there anything she does better than Sakura?

Her CA looks cooler.

Edit: oh yeah, DP is good, that's one part of her kit I can't really downpl... Just kidding! Delayed arial attacks can straight out beat it because it doesn't have a continuous hitbox.

But yeah, better than Sakura's for sure.

Edited by delete_me
25 minutes ago, delete_me said:

Her CA looks cooler.

Edit: oh yeah, DP is good, that's one part of her kit I can't really downpl... Just kidding! Delayed arial attacks can straight out beat it because it doesn't have a continuous hitbox.

But yeah, better than Sakura's for sure.

What about her overhead?