Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread, vol. 2

I think Akira on paper and Akira in the game are two different characters. On paper she fits the SFV meta like a glove but when you play her you quickly realise that she can't open up people as well as Karin or Cammy or Sakura. Her cr.MK is decent, but it's a bit slower than average and her walkspeed is not the best, so getting to the right spot to use it can already be a struggle in some matchups. Her st.LK looks like Sakura's but it's slower and it only leads to a knockdown if you use an EX special. And I think at this point I don't need to go into more detail about how much she struggles against strong fireball zoners. You can try YOLO jumps with VS1 or fishing for hits with her two CC heavies, but she doesn't have a consistent tool to apply pressure in the neutral game.

I think she does really well against character that need to get to you, because they force themselves into the range where she excels at. A bit like Gief actually, but she has better defensive options than him, which makes embracing that gameplan less of an issue.

Or maybe I just play her all wrong. I don't know, I'm back on the Rose train which has more comfortable cushions and also doesn't make me feel like a pedo, so win-win.

5 hours ago, delete_me said:

Her st.LK looks like Sakura's but it's slower and it only leads to a knockdown if you use an EX special.

Doesn't her s.lk combo with all of her uppercuts?  Not a great knockdown outside of the corner, but it's something.

My biggest gripes with her is the lack of range on the second hit of her lp, mp target combo, and the amount of pushback on her buttons in general given her tyrannosaur limbs.

Her biggest problem is that there are already three small female characters in the game running her gameplan with mostly better buttons.

For the love of god, why do I keep forgetting her DP? It's like I have this mental block that prevents me from seeing these moves as anything else than AAs.

But anyway, yeah, she's one of those "why play her?" characters. The one thing she has going for her is that she doesn't have that one combo route, you can kind of have fun with all her options depending on the situation. And VS1 allows for some cool extensions, particularly in the corner.

its the goofyness is obviously the negative aspect of SF4 new characters. it's like mostly ono thing lol

I like El Fuerte archetype but not how they execute the character, Same as Rufus the guy has the most terrible character motivation like every blonde is Ken Masters lol

Hakkan is okay to me, Abel ended up bland even but he had potential, I like Byron to replace Abel archetype. Fuerte, Rufus are the bottom to me

Decapre is salvageable by changing her normals, her bad impression is being a doll but she was more than a headswap few tweaks would help the character

Wanting Goutetsu over Oni LOL, That means Oni just need to reworked instead of bringing a someone else. The problem with Oni is because his another much do the shoto gameplan.

Juri is not only the best newcomer of SF4 she is one of the best introduced characters Capcom made in general.   

Not surprised she is NR 1 on that list. 

When you have popular World Warriors on main art of SF Duel but also add Juri, you know her image sells well and it's pretty crazy how fast her popularity has risen looking at the fact that compared to those characters she is fairly recently added to the series.

25-street-fighter-duel.webp

Edited by Skort
42 minutes ago, Skort said:

Juri is not only the best newcomer of SF4 she is one of the best introduced characters Capcom made in general.   

Not surprised she is NR 1 on that list. 

When you have popular World Warriors on main art of SF Duel but also add Juri, you know her image sells well and it's pretty crazy how fast her popularity has risen looking at the fact that compared to those characters she is fairly recently added to the series.

25-street-fighter-duel.webp

You know why?  Same reason Laura is so popular.

yup, there's really no point of bringing him back, basically they just want another super shoto that probably will never be a super version of a shoto like what happened to oni because of gameplay reasons.

his only value and purpose in sf mythos is no other than another akuma backstory that basically will ruin akuma backstory too, lol.

we got gouken already and too much backstory for akuma already demystified his character that is also contrary to his intended design as a mysterious warrior

Edited by Shakunetsu
4 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

you want to bring back a dead guy whose style is already represented by multiple characters?

Doesn't he use a staff? Considering that so far we only had Rolento who hops around like Scrooge McDuck and Falke, where the question about whether the staff or herself is more flexible is still up in the air I don't think that archetype has been particularly overused.

Just now, delete_me said:

Doesn't he use a staff? Considering that so far we only had Rolento who hops around like Scrooge McDuck and Falke, where the question about whether the staff or herself is more flexible is still up in the air I don't think that archetype has been particularly overused.

Goutetsu is Gouken and Akuma's master. He taught them how to fight. He tapped into Satsui No Hado but doesn't have the mastery over it that Akuma does. Which is why he's dead in the first place. There is literally no reason for him to come back. He doesn't even have a grudge against Akuma for killing him. He was proud of him for surpassing him. He wouldn't even be the wise and powerful old master. Gouken, Akuma, Ryu, and probably Ken are all beyond him at this point. We've already had two lesser Akuma's in Evil Ryu and Kage, we don't need another one. Street Fighter doesn't need it's version of Jinpachi Mishima.

Side Note: Bare in mind that I've made multiple concepts for Gouken's daughter and I'm saying no more shotos. Yeah I'm shillin' my thread.

@Doctrine_DarkDo you need me to do more win quotes? Haven't done them for any of my characters in a while.

26 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Street Fighter doesn't need it's version of Jinpachi Mishima.

Arguable, but I thought you were talking about his fighting style earlier, not his lore contradicting him coming back.

I dunno, they brought Zeku in and made him very different to Guy. I don't see why Goutetsu couldn't work outside of being a sort of "bonus" character that couldn't appear in story mode (except for flashbacks maybe). On the other hand there are definitely other characters I'd rather see coming back first. 

Edit: Wait, Gouken has a daughter? I agree, we need her.

Edited by delete_me
21 minutes ago, delete_me said:

Arguable, but I thought you were talking about his fighting style earlier, not his lore contradicting him coming back.

I dunno, they brought Zeku in and made him very different to Guy. I don't see why Goutetsu couldn't work outside of being a sort of "bonus" character that couldn't appear in story mode (except for flashbacks maybe). On the other hand there are definitely other characters I'd rather see coming back first. 

I'm talking both. Whether it be for gameplay or lore there is zero reason to add Goutetsu. Lore wise, even if he weren't dead, he's been surpassed by his students and their (Gouken's) students. Gameplay he's Satsui No Hado based Ansatsuken fighter. Their have already been four fighters in that subset of Ansatsuken fighters. We need a fifth for what purpose? Zeku, even if weren't a dual style character, had far more room for variation. He's only the third Bushinryu practitioner in series. Their have been nine Ansatsuken fighters. In fact there have been more Satsui No Hado Ansatsuken fighters than their have been Bushinryu fighters period. Guy, Maki, and Zeku are it. 

Like what legit reason is there for Goutetsu to show up? Being Gouken and Akuma's master isn't good enough. We haven't even had Haggar in a SF game. Why do we need Ansatsuken fighter number ten? Can we get some more black and latino characters. Can we get a Canadian besides Abigail? The Dutch are known for kickboxing can we get a Dutch fighters. Some yet to be represented styles? Pencak Silat? Krav Maga? Tang Soo Do? @MaxxJitsu? 

Edited by Darc_Requiem
Got tired of typing this post on my phone.
24 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I'm talking both. Whether it be for gameplay or lore there is zero reason to add Goutetsu. Lore wise, even if he weren't dead, he's been surpassed by his students and their (Gouken's) students. Gameplay he's Satsui No Hado based Ansatsuken fighter. Their have already been four fighters in that subset of Ansatsuken fighters. We need a fifth for what purpose? Zeku, even if weren't a dual style character, had far more room for variation. He's only the third Bushinryu practitioner in series. Their have been nine Ansatsuken fighters. In fact there have been more Satsui No Hado Ansatsuken fighters than their have been Bushinryu fighters period. Guy, Maki, and Zeku are it. 

Like what legit reason is there for Goutetsu to show up? Being Gouken and Akuma's master isn't good enough. We haven't even had Haggar in a SF game. Why do we need Ansatsuken fighter number ten? Can we get some more black and latino characters. Can we get a Canadian besides Abigail? The Dutch are known for kickboxing can we get a Dutch fighters. Some yet to be represented styles? Pencak Silat? Krav Maga? Tang Soo Do? @MaxxJitsu? 

Tekken does it right. Harada will legit look at different countries and find the most popular styles or a unique way to represent that country with a style. Like people learned about Europe being huge into karate because of Lidia and also learned how she's based on Rika from Japan. 

They could give Goutetsu the Seth treatment and I wouldn't change my mind. He's Ansatsuken Genryusai. But hey, let's add Genryusai to the game too. I mean he got bopped by Zeku, who got bopped by Guy, and his youngest daughter, Maki, could hand him his ass, and he got kidnapped by Great Value Mad Gear but he can added to Street Fighter because....reasons. 😑

3 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Goutetsu is Gouken and Akuma's master. He taught them how to fight. He tapped into Satsui No Hado but doesn't have the mastery over it that Akuma does. Which is why he's dead in the first place. There is literally no reason for him to come back. He doesn't even have a grudge against Akuma for killing him. He was proud of him for surpassing him. 

Yup his a proud SNH user while Gouken is the contrary that filtered away SNH to his version of ansatsuken.

3 hours ago, delete_me said:

I dunno, they brought Zeku in and made him very different to Guy.

Zeku is kinda blank state and open for redesign. there are no literal things that would change the establish story, much of everything that was talk about the him that might have happen to him before was never elaborate or told in any form of literature.

And it's unlikely the promo art that used a stick would have been staple, even the other characters never used their CFN profile images after they became official characters. it's probably just used for a one time gimmick that didn't push through because it did earn much positive reaction like gouken was.

Edited by Shakunetsu

I was looking through some HK manhua

looks like dhalsim died in the later stories

41599998_2165067683568435_64871052508250

They made Sean so badass

41748685_2165071913568012_26942667646985

41572265_2165070030234867_39439631982683

Looks like Urien had became his father figure at some point

41580071_2165063386902198_23639651566579

41651880_2165069056901631_69109158560420

41649746_2165055896902947_73173873132128

That he would betray later on the story

41663726_2165057590236111_72356843736793

And there version of Mel Master

41688020_2165073256901211_16543980592719

41681734_2165072016901335_23457031318090

Grown Up Mel

41603597_2165059883569215_78671756056435

Literally Oro has no other arms

41682392_2165063556902181_40110882929497

Edited by Shakunetsu
10 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

They could give Goutetsu the Seth treatment and I wouldn't change my mind. He's Ansatsuken Genryusai. But hey, let's add Genryusai to the game too. I mean he got bopped by Zeku, who got bopped by Guy, and his youngest daughter, Maki, could hand him his ass, and he got kidnapped by Great Value Mad Gear but he can added to Street Fighter because....reasons. 😑

I can see your other points but I don't think lore strength should factor in the decision to make someone playable (or not playable) at all. As long as they're fun to play and bring something new to the table it doesn't really matter whether they can go toe-to-toe with Oro or get outclassed by Dan in their story.

7 hours ago, delete_me said:

I can see your other points but I don't think lore strength should factor in the decision to make someone playable (or not playable) at all. As long as they're fun to play and bring something new to the table it doesn't really matter whether they can go toe-to-toe with Oro or get outclassed by Dan in their story.

Typically I'd concur but the "old master" archetype is always strong in lore. This is consistent across virtually every fighting game.  Its like the universal excuse for some old guy stomping out a young yoked dude twice his size. There maybe an exception but I can't think of one off hand. Hell you have old guys with terminal illnesses like Gen and Lau Chan that kick ass and cough up a lung in between rounds.

8 hours ago, AriesWarlock said:

Juri PLS  😫

AriesWarlock right now....

archer-sterling-archer.gif

Edit: I forgot that  I set up a tournament on PS5 when we were doing the last one on PC. I was like "shit, I forgot to register for it and tell everyone about it." All 32 slots are full. I can't even enter my own tournament 🤣🤣🤣

Edited by Darc_Requiem