Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread, vol. 2

9 hours ago, Shakunetsu said:

I wonder what MAHVEL players and MVC2 players think with DBFZ changes?

Looks like they are making the game as fun to play as possible.

A game that's fun > A game that's balanced.

Reason for that is that people will keep playing a fun game regardless of balance. But if your game is balanced and not all that fun, it can go suck the fattest nut.

57 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

I know it’s delay but how does it compare to Rev2’s netcode?

Ummm on par or slightly worse as far as I remember? 

I know Martian and I had some big hiccups when we played and faired better in other delay based games. 

Hell, Martian and I played VF5 through PSNow streaming on delay based netcode and it was better than DBFZ

8 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

Ummm on par or slightly worse as far as I remember? 

I know Martian and I had some big hiccups when we played and faired better in other delay based games. 

Hell, Martian and I played VF5 through PSNow streaming on delay based netcode and it was better than DBFZ

Lol, okay, nevermind then.

8 hours ago, Sonero said:

Reason for that is that people will keep playing a fun game regardless of balance. But if your game is balanced and not all that fun, it can go suck the fattest nut.

Implying that fun and balance are mutually exclusive, lmao. 

The fact that the game has been played until now shows that people have found it fun until now all while they have tried to make it balanced, so i dunno what are you trying to say there. 

9 hours ago, Sonero said:

Why not both? ST is a lot of fun, but I can't help but vomit inside my mouth a little every time my opponent picks Claw or Boxer. Surely, with today's updates and patches, a game that is balanced should be pretty much mandatory.

You ever lost so bad, you ignore someone being horribly transphobic to make a point? That is what’s happening with SonicFox and Perfect Legend in some drama only the NRS community can cook up.

Perfect Legend, NRS player and best known for going 13-0 against SonicFox, recently found out that SF has been taking adderall for his ADHD. Knowing that Adderall is a performance enhancement and illegal in sports (for people that aren’t prescribed it, unlike SonicFox), he makes this post.

Spoiler

Basically calling SonicFox a cheater for taking it. If it was by itself, people probably would’ve called PL stupid and left it at that. But in the original Facebook post, there was some guy who really seemed to dislike SonicFox.

Spoiler

Not sure who Ado Joestar is or really care, but he is shown filming some transphobic insults at SF. When called about it, PL ignores it and continues with Adderall being illegal. So now he’s getting some heat for it.

It seems like this could have all been avoided somehow and it’s real stupid too. Though it is funny that PL think SonicFox being called ‘It’ is the same level of people memeing on him for going 13-0.

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Volta said:

Why not both? ST is a lot of fun, but I can't help but vomit inside my mouth a little every time my opponent picks Claw or Boxer. Surely, with today's updates and patches, a game that is balanced should be pretty much mandatory.

There is this misconception on some people (usually people who come from SF/Marvel backgrounds) that making a game balanced, means that it wouldn't be fun, which is one of the most dumb posture to have.

Is specially prevalent on those who come from Marvel 2, where they do those mental gymnastics where they presume that trying to balance Marvel will make it less fun for example.

14 minutes ago, BornWinner said:

Perfect Legend, NRS player and best known for going 13-0 against SonicFox,

Uhhhh, 0-13. Fox beat him 13-0.

Trust me, as someone who have been on the 0 end of one of those, there's a huge difference. 

As for the drama itself... Man still trying to get rid of his one accolade, which is getting blown up 13-0, so quite frankly, it's nothing but hoe babble from known soft bitches that live on Twitter.

Reject Twitter, return to forums.

29 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Sorry but how is PL responsible for what another person posts?

It seems that people are mad that PL didn’t call him out on it and look liked he encouraged it with the ‘open dialogue’ post. Also I think on Facebook, if you made the thread, you can delete comments that you may feel is out of line. Don’t quote me on that.

I agree with with you that what Ado said is not his fault or that PL’s a bigot from what I can see. I just think he’s stupid with thinking the medicine that SonicFox is prescribed is the reason they’re good at gaming and trying to notify the esports @ with it.

23 minutes ago, Volt said:

Uhhhh, 0-13. Fox beat him 13-0.

Whoops. I’ll remember that for next time. It’s kinda sad how he let that affect him so much. It would be like J. Wong never moving on from Evo moment 37. Although since the reason he went 0-13 was because he lost a first to ten and lost three more matches, it does makes sense as to why he takes it seriously.

23 minutes ago, BornWinner said:

It seems that people are mad that PL didn’t call him out on it and look liked he encouraged it with the ‘open dialogue’ post. Also I think on Facebook, if you made the thread, you can delete comments that you may feel is out of line. Don’t quote me on that.

Sorry, but again,  how is PL responsible what other people post?

If he doesn't want to get involved, or call anyone out, that doesn't mean he endorse it.

To me it seems more like SF is being a bitch trying to stir a shitstorm on PL side to deflect the discussion by playing the lul transphobe card.

Fuck that shit.

1 hour ago, Hecatom said:

There is this misconception on some people (usually people who come from SF/Marvel backgrounds) that making a game balanced, means that it wouldn't be fun, which is one of the most dumb posture to have.

I never quite understood that either. If an FG has interesting characters, engaging lore and deep layers in its mechanics, why would a properly balanced cast diminish any of that? An overpowered tool that is fun to use will still be fun to use if it's slightly toned down. 

49 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Sorry, but again,  how is PL responsible what other people post?

If he doesn't want to get involved, or call anyone out, that doesn't mean he endorse it.

It’s Twitter is all I can say. Where everything you do will haunt you and everything you won’t do will still harm you. A hellsite through and through. I’m just stating what others are saying. 

10 hours ago, Pair of Rooks said:

So, is Adderoll illegal for esports or not?  This doesn't seem like an opinion question. 

I am not the best source of this, but it’s possible that as a stimulant that it can sharpen your response time and reflexes for gaming. For those reasons, it can be called a performance enhancer when used by people that don’t need them.

I think what keeps it from being banned in esports is that there is no blanket statement saying that taking the drug will make you a god at video games. All I saw in articles is how it wouldn’t in spite of what it boasts. It’s not usable in the NBA, NFL, or MLB, but does that translate into video games at all? Then there’s the players who maybe are prescribed it for one reason or another. Should they not compete because they need to use it to quell their ADHD and focus? Guess you could just ban using Adderall for those that don’t have a prescription.

Edited by BornWinner
1 hour ago, Pair of Rooks said:

So, is Adderoll illegal for esports or not?  This doesn't seem like an opinion question. 

I don't know if its illegal to use it for eSports. Some eSports league do have it as a banned substance since there have been players caught taking it to help them play.

Same idea as the people who take it to study and then on the tests they studied for.

1 hour ago, Volta said:

I never quite understood that either. If an FG has interesting characters, engaging lore and deep layers in its mechanics, why would a properly balanced cast diminish any of that? An overpowered tool that is fun to use will still be fun to use if it's slightly toned down. 

Because devs haven't made a balanced game yet.  What we do have examples of are games where many characters have powerful tools, which are also fun to use, but are technically unbalanced. The overwhelming majority of games we've played competitively have had a firm S tier in a lot of cases.

So when you look at what many years of of FGs have shown us, is that people don't keep playing based on balance. They keep playing in terms of fun. They'll also keep playing games where they feel they can still win with their character choice.

The reason why this is important for DBF is because, as a last patch, they had to make a choice on what to do: they could keep rearranging the current toolset of characters to even up matches or they could add more tools to each characters and hope for the best.  When I say hope for the best, I'm not implying they just added things at random. But its that ultimately it doesn't matter how much they want to constrict things to achieve some balance, players are going to disrupt it anyways.

4 hours ago, Volta said:

Balanced is kinda lofty. The best we can do is to ask for a game that doesn't have obviously inherently stupid things. There are a myriad of inherently stupid things. For example, unblockables.  Season 1 Mika was going out there doing some hilariously stupid stuff that couldn't be fixed (instead they compromised how much access she had to it with certain nerfs).

Let's take SF5 Ryu for example. He used to hit really hard, then he got nerfed to hell. Then they gave him stuff that didn't help. Then finally gave him more stuff that overall didn't help. What it did do was make him fun to play for some stuff. He didn't shoot up in tiers. But instead of having 7-3 match ups, he has 6-4s because he can deal more damage now.  SHould you take SF5 ryu to tournaments? Nope. Can you take him and beat some good people? Yep.

The problem is compounded further when take into account how many characters modern games have? How are you really gonna balance a game with 40 characters? Even after you take mirrors out, you still end up with an ungodly amount of match ups. Then you get into the type of super complicated characters ArcSys games (complicated in the amount of moves and options they give their characters) and its no wonder they constantly have some jack slawed S tier shitting on a lot of the cast. But, if you give the rest of the cast enough tools to where they are fun, people will ignore the blatant balance issues and be happy their characters have cool stuff to do (AC+R).

3 hours ago, Hecatom said:

Is specially prevalent on those who come from Marvel 2, where they do those mental gymnastics where they presume that trying to balance Marvel will make it less fun for example.

There's no misconception. We don't have any balanced games. We do have a bunch of games with multiple tiered characters though. A "Balanced" game is some malarkey that gets tossed around as if its something that's ever happened. The only thing we can ask is for there to be no overwhelmingly dumb character and for a lot of the cast to have strong tools.

As for MvC2, balancing that game would require nerfing the God 4 characters. If you nerf those characters, you end up taking away a lot of what makes it really interesting competitively. You can give the low tier characters more tools. But when you start giving them tools to be on even keel with those 4 characters, you're going to potentially end up creating some monsters along the way that end up shitting on the rest of the cast. So instead of God 4, you have God 8.

So nah, I'm happy with the MvC2 that exists with its weird imbalance but really interesting gameplay. If the gameplay wasn't engaging, it wouldn't have stuck around for so long.

2 hours ago, BornWinner said:

I am not the best source of this, but it’s possible that as a stimulant that it can sharpen your response time and reflexes for gaming. For those reasons, it can be called a performance enhancer when used by people that don’t need them.

I think what keeps it from being banned in esports is that there is no blanket statement saying that taking the drug will make you a god at video games. All I saw in articles is how it wouldn’t It’s not usable in the NBA, NFL, or MLB, but does that translate into video games at all? Then there’s the players who maybe are prescribed it for one reason or another. Should they not compete because they need to use it to quell their ADHD and focus? Guess you could just ban using Adderall for those that don’t have a prescription.

Side note, as a person with ADHD, i luckily never really needed to take any kind of drugs, but that is mostly because i learned how to get focus by using music as an isolation via headphones to study and work.

My Dr. thought that was a better solution in the long run, specially because back in my day, the drugs had a lot of side effects that were not worth it

1 hour ago, Sonero said:

Snip

It is a misconception.

We have plenty of games that are both balanced (enough) and fun (which is kind of subjective.)

The fact is that games being balanced have more tendency of being fun than unbalanced ones, since there are more variety of options to be used.

Take for example MVC2, a darling for the usa fgc for sure.

But it was held back immensely because the garbage balance it had, to the point where outside of USA, it didn't really had an impact.

Edited by Hecatom

from the opinions of other that i read and hear in the past, it's like the impression of ambiguity and vagueness of some kind is assume balance in fighting games and moba?

like there is always an area of exploration and possibility, so things can evolve and change.

a game that allows creativity and exploration is fun

Edited by Shakunetsu
6 hours ago, BornWinner said:

I think Akira's EX fireball might turn out to be a solid contender for one of the best moves in the game. From being an almost instant multihit, full screen fireball to blowing up throw techs up close when done airborne it's like having EX Tackle and a Divekick all in one move. Unless of course the frame data doesn't back this all up and she's super negative on block after the airborne version for example. We'll see.

In any case, I really like her so far. She's also the first character in the game where these IMO unecessary flourishes after every attack look good and make sense.

39 minutes ago, Shakunetsu said:

from the opinions of other that i read and hear in the past, it's like the impression of ambiguity and vagueness of some kind is assume balance in fighting games and moba?

like there is always an area of exploration and possibility, so things can evolve and change.

a game that allows creativity and exploration is fun

The notion comes mostly due how historically capcom do their balancing, by nerfing into oblivion everything and everyone.

An easy counterpoint to the whole, lol balancing is mutually exclusive to a game being fun is the same DBFZ, where with each major patch they not only make the game more balanced, with more characters and more strategies being possible each time, all while adding new mechanics that are very game changing since it usually involves adding more options for the player to fuck up everything.

Note, i am not saying that DBFZ is perfectly balanced, because i know someone will assume i am saying that and jump at me, lol.

19 hours ago, BornWinner said:

You ever lost so bad, you ignore someone being horribly transphobic to make a point? That is what’s happening with SonicFox and Perfect Legend in some drama only the NRS community can cook up.

Perfect Legend, NRS player and best known for going 13-0 against SonicFox, recently found out that SF has been taking adderall for his ADHD. Knowing that Adderall is a performance enhancement and illegal in sports (for people that aren’t prescribed it, unlike SonicFox), he makes this post.

Hide contents

Basically calling SonicFox a cheater for taking it. If it was by itself, people probably would’ve called PL stupid and left it at that. But in the original Facebook post, there was some guy who really seemed to dislike SonicFox.

Hide contents

Hide contents

I don't have a prescription for Adderall, but my wife does and I've taken it when we went to Japan and our sleep was all fucked up, and once or twice to quickly knock out big tasks I didn't want to do but needed to. I can absolutely see how it would give a player who's taking it a leg up, and I think it's a discussion worth having. If major sports leagues are banning it, I don't see why that should be a controversial thing for eSports as well. The McGwire/Sosa homerun contest is somewhat tainted by the fact that they were on gear while it was happening. 

Edited by DoctaMario
1 hour ago, DoctaMario said:

I don't have a prescription for Adderall, but my wife does and I've taken it when we went to Japan and our sleep was all fucked up, and once or twice to quickly knock out big tasks I didn't want to do but needed to. I can absolutely see how it would give a player who's taking it a leg up, and I think it's a discussion worth having. If major sports leagues are banning it, I don't see why that should be a controversial thing for eSports as well. The McGwire/Sosa homerun contest is somewhat tainted by the fact that they were on gear while it was happening. 

Yeah I agree it's a conversation that needs to happen. "I have a prescription" is easy to get, and we don't want young e-athletes seeing so much SF success and start thinking they need to do the same in order to compete.

I heard a rumour -- completely unverified -- that Salem was on something when he won Evo. Maybe it was just salty racists because he was playing the S+ tier, but idk.