Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

Apparently it's the Wii's 15th anniversary this year.  Might do another VGM post later in celebration.  Marvel 3/Ult Marvel 3 also reached its 10 year anniversary so I may lump that in as well.

Vids

Spoiler

Stadia has lasted a bit longer than expected...wonder how it's actually doing.  Pretty sure Google won't say anything unless they're actually doing solid.

Extra

Days before the official reveal, more details of Multiversus was leaked. This all seems to be true considering that Garnet and Arya were revealed.

IMG_9952.jpg

Interesting and nice that some alternate costumes will have different VAs. Maybe we can have Terry McGinnis Batman as an alt. Two of Harley’s costumes were also posted somewhere.

IMG_9953.jpg

Kamiya comes out and takes the L on Scalebound, says they were not experienced enough to make that

https://www.gematsu.com/2021/11/hideki-kamiya-on-scalebound-cancellation-we-werent-experienced-enough

Rockstar apologizes for GTA Trilogy Definitive Edition, says updates are coming to fix it.

https://www.gematsu.com/2021/11/rockstar-games-apologizes-for-grand-theft-auto-the-trilogy-the-definitive-edition-technical-issues-announces-update-plans

and of course some gamers got deep in their feelings and harrassed some of the devs.  SMH.

Edited by Sonichuman

Yeah I'll believe these GTA Trilogy "fixes" when I see them. Some of the issues, like certain characters models, will require more than just performance patches to fix. Making the old versions available again, only on their shitty launcher, is bull shit as well. I'm not a GTA fan personally but I feel for the millions of gamers that are. They got hosed on some of the most iconic games in their favorite franchise. 

1 hour ago, Sonichuman said:

PAC MAN museum

I understand why they don’t do it, but I wall always find it weird that Ms. Pac Man is never a game or even mentioned when a new Pac Man game comes out. Can’t remember the last time Namco referenced her.

1 hour ago, Sonichuman said:

and of course some gamers got deep in their feelings and harrassed some of the devs.  SMH.

It’s one thing to find someone’s account to harass them. It’s another to do that when that’s not even the people you should be doing that to. I’m sure the developers (and QA testers) knew the state this game was in, but the higher ups decided it needed to be shipped now. I very much doubt any of these glitches like the rain were “unexpected technical issues”.

Also getting rid of the previous console ports and threatening to sue modders was a garbage move from Rockstar. Especially for how underwhelming this remaster ended up being.

2 hours ago, BornWinner said:

I understand why they don’t do it, but I wall always find it weird that Ms. Pac Man is never a game or even mentioned when a new Pac Man game comes out. Can’t remember the last time Namco referenced her.

It’s one thing to find someone’s account to harass them. It’s another to do that when that’s not even the people you should be doing that to. I’m sure the developers (and QA testers) knew the state this game was in, but the higher ups decided it needed to be shipped now. I very much doubt any of these glitches like the rain were “unexpected technical issues”.

Also getting rid of the previous console ports and threatening to sue modders was a garbage move from Rockstar. Especially for how underwhelming this remaster ended up being.

There's a legal mess that has been going on with the rights to Ms. Pacman, unfortunately... it's why one of those Arcade 1up Pacman collections of course excluded Ms. Pacman (*later there WAS an Arcade 1up Ms. Pacman released though, surprisingly)  I forgot the details of it but there's something like the rights to that variant of the coding that is "Ms. Pacman" is held by another company, something like that....basically, another group owns that particular IP.

ah yes....this has been playing out just in the past couple of years:

https://www.polygon.com/2019/9/26/20886032/ms-pac-man-lawsuit-bandai-namco-atgames-rights-royalties 

I've always preferred Ms. Pacman; it's the better version of the concept since it simply added changing mazes and bonus items that moved around the map...making things much more interesting at the time, imo.  

Edited by MillionX
8 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Yeah I'll believe these GTA Trilogy "fixes" when I see them. Some of the issues, like certain characters models, will require more than just performance patches to fix. Making the old versions available again, only on their shitty launcher, is bull shit as well. I'm not a GTA fan personally but I feel for the millions of gamers that are. They got hosed on some of the most iconic games in their favorite franchise. 

Yeah there's no way it'll be fixed in a way that makes anyone happy. It would need a whole new dev cycle lol

2 hours ago, purbeast said:

@RSG3that from the Walmart drop on November 5th?  Got mine today too... hoping it helps me pay for my pinball machine lol.

Naw I did offer up so I also over paid but I was tired of waiting and the money was burning a hole in my pocket so I jumped on it. 

5 hours ago, HD-Man said:

Bout to go to RSG3's house and "congratulate" him on his ps5 acquisition. No, I'm totally not gonna rob him, wouldn't dream of it, scout's honor 🤞

My Ninja Cats will be prepped and ready for your..."visit."

23 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

Mega Ten 5 is pissing me off. Grinded my ass off and fused half a dozen demons to help beat the boss at the diet building only for the battle to end when her health drops to like 35% and get no reward. It's ain't right

I slightly felt the same way, but after all the prep I did I was really just kinda happy to be done with her. You'll get "paid" shortly after anyway. 

Bus as design was fucking siiiick by the way. 

fucking bullshit... so I buy shotgun ammo in RE8....but then when I equip the shotgun...I just DON'T have shotgun ammo?  Once again, shit happens to me that just apparently doesn't happen to other people in games... I went back to an old save then; I refuse to spend resources and NOT get the intended shit just because the game says so.

Other than that annoying little shit I'm still enjoying this so far... still have only killed 1 of the vampire sisters so far...

2 hours ago, elliephil said:

Where did you order this from?

Literally called every single distributor and dealer listed on Stern's website.  Only 2 of them had Jurassic Park Pro in stock.  They aren't doing another run of them until April 2022 at the earliest and the price is increasing.

I ended up getting it from https://pinballpro.net/.  He had 2 in stock and I'm assuming now 1 in stock.  The price also went up since I bought mine according to the listing on there.

The other site that has em is http://pinballs.com but the cost there was a bit more and they charged shipping.  They had 2 left.

I literally think there are only 3 left in the entire country until the next run in April 2022 (could be pushed back even more) but a lot of the stores i contacted said even those were almost sold out.

damn it man, I may just start the whole game over... I have no idea what's going on or where to go at this point, like I must've missed something (every room I can get to; there's nothing else to do, no secret passages or things to interact with...nothing)....and the vampire sisters seem to *only* be beatable in a very specific situation....all other scenarios are just you wasting bullets and delaying the inevitable, it seems.   (*though 1 cheapshit thing to do is run into the save room with the big fat merchant; they never follow you in there, of course)

Edited by MillionX

oh yeah... the "Black Friday" sale is already going on apparently... some that are cool imo that I'd recommend:

Werewolf is only 20 bucks, folks.

Kingdoms of Amalur Re-Recknoning = 19.99!!!

Diablo 2 = 30.

Scarlet Nexus = 35.99

Witcher 3 = 7.99

Middle-Earth: Shadow of War = 9.99

Control Ultimate Edition = 11.99!

Borderlands 3 Super Deluxe Edition = 31.99

Castlevania Anniversary Collection = 4.99

Castlevania Lords of Shadow = 4.99

Lords of Shadow 2 = 9.99

Contra Collection = 4.99

Saint's Row: Gat Out of Hell = 3.74!!!

DMC5 Special Edition = 29.99

Doom 2016 = 5.99!

LICHDOM BATTLEMAGE: 1.99 <--Ok...how in the world did I miss out on this game's existence until now?!

^the wonderful Jennifer Hale voices the female version of the main character.  Oh yeah this is mine asap.  Strange how this was released YEARS ago, and I'm just now hearing about it.

haha Agents of Mayhem Total Mayhem Bundle is 2.99.  Even that much might be too much considering how that game is forever broken and will likely never be fixed. (*right in the beginning, there's a thing that's supposed to happen that just *doesn't* happen sometimes...fortunately this is in the beginning so you can just start over, hoping it doesn't occur....if I recall it's that elevator that's supposed to take you up, and the director of the agency is supposed to say something; I forgot the details but this needs to happen so you can progress.)

Edited by MillionX
2 hours ago, MillionX said:

damn it man, I may just start the whole game over... I have no idea what's going on or where to go at this point, like I must've missed something (every room I can get to; there's nothing else to do, no secret passages or things to interact with...nothing)....and the vampire sisters seem to *only* be beatable in a very specific situation....all other scenarios are just you wasting bullets and delaying the inevitable, it seems.   (*though 1 cheapshit thing to do is run into the save room with the big fat merchant; they never follow you in there, of course)

You're missing something small. I'd recommend looking at a quick walkthrough video of that area before restarting- would be way less annoying. Also, the game gives you tons of ammo and crafting components, don't worry about needing to restart because you've wasted ammo while you're stuck. 

sheeeittt, talk about a sleeper... this game Lichdom Battlemage is the shit... I'm loving every minute of this so far.  It's reminding me of a conversation I had with a friend recently, how it would've been nice if Hexen got the 2016 remake treatment that Doom got... and here we are.  Basically FPS  action but with magic spells.  You have a projectile and AOE version of everything it looks like, along with a defensive version of it on the L trigger... there's also a quick-dodge on RB....and charged versions of all the spells....the charged version is guaranteed critical damage if it hits enemies.  I've already gone thru the first area and defeated a boss.  The adventures of my character "Ishologu" are just beginning.

It's just 1.99 now on this sale, folks.  For how much fun I'm having with this, that was a goddamn steal.

Edited by MillionX
3 hours ago, MillionX said:

Did you find all the masks and put them on the statues?

7 hours ago, purbeast said:

Literally called every single distributor and dealer listed on Stern's website.  Only 2 of them had Jurassic Park Pro in stock.  They aren't doing another run of them until April 2022 at the earliest and the price is increasing.

I ended up getting it from https://pinballpro.net/.  He had 2 in stock and I'm assuming now 1 in stock.  The price also went up since I bought mine according to the listing on there.

The other site that has em is http://pinballs.com but the cost there was a bit more and they charged shipping.  They had 2 left.

I literally think there are only 3 left in the entire country until the next run in April 2022 (could be pushed back even more) but a lot of the stores i contacted said even those were almost sold out.

That's so cool! My wife and I are looking into potentially getting some cabinets and pinball machines for our home, similar to what I saw in your pictures. Thanks for the links! We really like the Metallica pinball machine (so much so that we signed our wedding papers on one of them... we got married in an arcade lol) and even though it looks like a journey, it seems like a fun thing to get into. Looks like pinballs.com even has some cabinets, and they aren't too far away from where I stay. This is dangerous 😅

56 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Interesting, it seems that they moved away from doing a smash clone as it was originally presented, and more in line with a tag team fighter, but keeping with the control scheme of a smash clone.

Huh? Wasn't the original trailer was still a 2d fighter? There were no platforms or stage deaths as far as I remember

1 hour ago, Hecatom said:

Interesting, it seems that they moved away from doing a smash clone as it was originally presented, and more in line with a tag team fighter, but keeping with the control scheme of a smash clone.

Marvel vs Capcom 3 was ahead of it's time, I think it really could have been a killer eatsports title if Capcom had played their cards right. Maybe Riot saw that potential and that's why they are going team fighter?

33 minutes ago, Gasarocky said:

Huh? Wasn't the original trailer was still a 2d fighter? There were no platforms or stage deaths as far as I remember

It was a small glimpse, but between what they showed, there were screens where it you could see some platforms.

Plus, like they say on the trailer, they were experimenting with different concepts for the fg.

For what i heard, they tried a sf like style first, but then moved into the smash like style.

Now, i maybe am remembering wrong, but i was under the impression that the Cannons didnt like Marvel, which if right, is kind of interesting that they decided to move the game in that direction, but of course, i could be remembering wrong.

29 minutes ago, elliephil said:

Marvel vs Capcom 3 was ahead of it's time, I think it really could have been a killer eatsports title if Capcom had played their cards right. Maybe Riot saw that potential and that's why they are going team fighter?

For its time it did good, so dunno what you are talking about, it wasn't ahead of its time.

It had a healthy scene being the main game for a good number of majors during its heyday.

Now if you are talking about what happened to MVCI, the problem has always been that at the end of the day, Marvel/Disney owns half of the roster of the game, so Capcom making an esport around that for their own circuit will always be difficult if not impossible.

For starters, when MVC3 came out, it was only because it was between a window of time where all the licenses returned to Marvel from EA, Activision etc, so Capcom could work on the game, but that window was so small that it was why UMVC3 launched 8 months after MVC3, and why both games were basically abandoned after like 2 patches.

Then with MVCI, they halfassed the game, i know some people like it, and swear that the gameplay is good, but even if true (i disagree is good, serviceable at best imo), they made a huge disservice to the fans of the series in how the game was handled both pre and post launch.

Capcom made a budget game, and Disney was a huge wall for the community to have the game on most of the tournaments, which both killed the game with casuals and enthusiasts, and with the fgc.

I say that Capcom will be better in doing their own vs style game with its own Ips, so they have all the freedom to make what they want and to and to have it on the CPT.

As for Riot "capitalizing" on team figthers, who knows.

It kind of makes sense with the Ip to make a team fighter, since LOL is a team game.

And then there is also that one way to add depth to a game when you simplify something like its inputs and number of moves the char has, is to add the layer of assists and the use of more than one character.

Plus, one of the biggest games in recent years was DBFZ a team game, which was also another game that lowered the sky ceiling in its gameplay mechanics.

In fact we have been seeing some proliferation of games like this on recent years.

DBFZ, BBTAG and Power Rangers. And for the looks of it, you could say that L will have many similarities with the PR game, since they also went in a similar route, where the inputs are directionals + a special button.

What has me "worried" is the combo that the fox girl was doing, it seems that they are going the mvc3 route of long combos 😅

And with easy inputs that thing is a bitch, just ask Sonero with the PR game.

Side note.

Dunno why, but for the little they showed, it seems that the game will be a 2vs2 game, anyone else got that vibe from the trailer?

19 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

For its time it did good, so dunno what you are talking about, it wasn't ahead of its time.

I'm talking esports. Like how everything is done now with SFV and the CPT. I think that level of success could have been reached 5 years earlier with Mvc3. Sure, the game was well-received but the playerbase and viewership numbers were still minuscule compared to any other competitive game at the time that wasn't a fighting game. I felt the competitive side of the game could have had broader appeal with the masses if it was marketed a bit differently. I get the issues with licensing and how that may have hindered any real plan to make mvc3 a bigger game but I think it's a bit disingenuous to say it did as well as any other esport. The eternal struggle of fighting games. sigh

I suppose what I mean by it being "ahead of it's time" is the fact that it was relatively popular as spectator game alone.

I think the way mvc3 was fast, exciting and super interesting while also easily understandable compared to other games at the time (sf4 lol) was what made it have real potential to be a major esports title. Brand recognition plays a role in it as well. I think they really missed the boat on something really big with MVC3.

1 hour ago, elliephil said:

I'm talking esports. Like how everything is done now with SFV and the CPT. I think that level of success could have been reached 5 years earlier with Mvc3. Sure, the game was well-received but the playerbase and viewership numbers were still minuscule compared to any other competitive game at the time that wasn't a fighting game. I felt the competitive side of the game could have had broader appeal with the masses if it was marketed a bit differently. I get the issues with licensing and how that may have hindered any real plan to make mvc3 a bigger game but I think it's a bit disingenuous to say it did as well as any other esport. The eternal struggle of fighting games. sigh

I suppose what I mean by it being "ahead of it's time" is the fact that it was relatively popular as spectator game alone.

I think the way mvc3 was fast, exciting and super interesting while also easily understandable compared to other games at the time (sf4 lol) was what made it have real potential to be a major esports title. Brand recognition plays a role in it as well. I think they really missed the boat on something really big with MVC3.

Bro, i know you like marvel, but i think that you are kind of overstating/overestimating how well it could do.

As much as i would love for fighting games in general to be popular, they are too niche, even the most popular games.

Also, dunno what are you smoking, but no way in hell anyone would say that mvc3 was easily understandable, specially when compared to SFIV.

And while it can be hype, at the same time it was also a snore to watch since the meta devolved in time into stuff that made it seem stale outside some disruptions from some players from time to time, and this is coming from someone who likes mvc3.

I don't think that any fg will ever be able to crack the numbers of other more popular esports games.

(Which is kind of funny when you consider that fgs are easier to follow that lol or ow as spectators games)

Also, while mvc3 is a darling for the usa community, the truth is that is not that popular in general, both in usa and internationally.

IIRC mvc3 sold like 800k across all platforms and umvc3 sold like 500k+.

The game suffered a harsh halt in its momentum by how abruptly the revision was announced, 3 months after the 1st game release, and the later got its sales affected by virtue of being released 8 months after the release of the 1st one.

It took re releases on the ps4 and xbone to give the series the push to meet the original sales expectations many years later.

Outside the fgc, the mvc brand is not as big as you think.

There are better chances for a marvel moba to do great than a marvel fighting game.

Just look at how nothing the Injustice brand has been in terms of esports, or MK, games that have sold waaaaaay beyond any other fighting game.

They are arguably on the same level of brand recognition as marvel, but they are barely a bleep in terms of viewership.

Between the fgs in general being niche and  the grassroots way the fgc does things, it seems that there will always bee a gap between how big fgs events are and other esports events.

Edit

Also, i never said that it did well as any other esports, so dunno where did you get that from.

Plus i think that being grassroots events where everyone can enter, and the major events outside the cpt, being multiple games clash with the esports ways of doing things, where most of it is invitational, and you have all the crap of coaches (lol), teams, sponsors, etc.

Outside top players, most of the community doesnt bennefit of the scenes becoming esports.

Edited by Hecatom

Also, i never said that it did well as any other esports, so dunno where did you get that from.

You didn't know where I was initially coming from because of this statement. I was under the impression you thought I was undermining the performance it had within the tournament scene, when I should have clarified I was speaking more on terms of mainstream appeal, such as eatsports.

4 hours ago, Hecatom said:

For its time it did good, so dunno what you are talking about

Ironically this contradicts a lot of what you just said. Not a problem tho.

Also, dunno what are you smoking, but no way in hell anyone would say that mvc3 was easily understandable, specially when compared to SFIV.

And while it can be hype, at the same time it was also a snore to watch since the meta devolved in time into stuff that made it seem stale outside some disruptions from some players from time to time, and this is coming from someone who likes mvc3.

Is League or Dota or Counter-Strike easily understood? Not really. Does that change it's appeal? Not sure, but they seem popular enough. I don't think you played SF4 enough to be honest if you think that was an easier to understand game. Surface level, I think it's a bit easier, I'll agree. The high level of play has so much going on that there is no way the average viewer will understand how or why certain decisions were made. In a high competition setting, you aren't watching beginners chuck fireballs and wake up shoryu all day. You're watching some really messed up setplay, multi-layered character specific OS, and ridiculous unintended game mechanics in motion constantly. At least in Marvel, if you get caught blocking and you get hit, you know that they messed up on defense or guessed wrong, not that all their options got beat out. That's my opinion regarding that comparison, I'll respect where you are coming from. It's really a revolving door when talking about comparing two different things on a micro level, especially subjective experiences with learning and understanding.

Just look at how nothing the Injustice brand has been in terms of esports, or MK, games that have sold waaaaaay beyond any other fighting game.

They are arguably on the same level of brand recognition as marvel, but they are barely a bleep in terms of viewership.

Not even close to the same kind of game. I like Injustice, but it doesn't play like Marvel and it's not the fast kind of game that I think could succeed in an esports setting. I also think you might be undermining how extremely popular the MCU is and how the trajectory of that could play a role in acquiring interest.

I'm not saying I expect absolutely huge, ground breaking things, but I think some esports organization / capcom / etc could have done more with Mvc3 than just majors and that one time it was at Capcom Cup.

Edited by elliephil