Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread

SFV's story is an exemplary reason as to why fighting game stories suck so much ass. Even the ones that are "good" bore the fuck outa me. IJ2's story was solid and I don't even like capeshit outside of the movies. And it still bored me to tears. I know that stupid monkey is gonna meme about how Ed Coon is a scribe and the Mortal kuckbat story is a masterpiece but it looks like the same shit MK has always been doing for ages.  "MUH EARTH REALM, MUH TORUNAMENT". And now GG wants to wrap up it's story. You know the "That Man" reveal is gonna be fucking whack. You know it's gonna be convoluted anime BS with a bunch of philosophical doodoo.  

I wish fighting game devs would tell casuals to shut the fuck up and play Call of Doody if they want movie campaign.

3 minutes ago, TWINBLADES_SRK said:

SFV's story is an exemplary reason as to why fighting game stories suck so much ass. Even the ones that are "good" bore the fuck outa me. IJ2's story was solid and I don't even like capeshit outside of the movies. And it still bored me to tears. I know that stupid monkey is gonna meme about how Ed Coon is a scribe and the Mortal kuckbat story is a masterpiece but it looks like the same shit MK has always been doing for ages.  "MUH EARTH REALM, MUH TORUNAMENT". And now GG wants to wrap up it's story. You know the "That Man" reveal is gonna be fucking whack. You know it's gonna be convoluted anime BS with a bunch of philosophical doodoo.  

I wish fighting game devs would tell casuals to shut the fuck up and play Call of Doody if they want movie campaign.

MK11 story wasn't bad...I really like time travel and multiverses so the plot they've been doing for the past 3 games has been pretty fun.  I actually watched all the modern MK stories on YouTube and it was like watching a movie trilogy.  Injustice 1 and 2 had cool stories too, and I even read all the comics.  Netherrealm stuff is definitely an exception to the rule.

I'd agree with you that most fighting game stories suck.  Blazblue and Guilty Gear are damn near incomprehensible.  I watch a ton of anime and still don't have the patience for ArcSys stories.  

I also don't think SF is ever gonna have a good plot.  It's just not a priority.  KOF is busy trying to survive, so plot isn't something they're worried about either.  Tekken also doesn't have much going on plot-wise.

I think by now we're just gonna have to accept that a tiny bits of world-building here and there is all most fighting game 'stories' are ever going to amount to.  It's gonna be like flavor text in Bloodborne but 1000 times less interesting.

2 minutes ago, misterBee said:

MK11 story wasn't bad...I really like time travel and multiverses so the plot they've been doing for the past 3 games has been pretty fun.  I actually watched all the modern MK stories on YouTube and it was like watching a movie trilogy.  Injustice 1 and 2 had cool stories too, and I even read all the comics.  Netherrealm stuff is definitely an exception to the rule.

I'd agree with you that most fighting game stories suck.  Blazblue and Guilty Gear are damn near incomprehensible.  I watch a ton of anime and still don't have the patience for ArcSys stories.  

I also don't think SF is ever gonna have a good plot.  It's just not a priority.  KOF is busy trying to survive, so plot isn't something they're worried about either.  Tekken also doesn't have much going on plot-wise.

I think by now we're just gonna have to accept that a tiny bits of world-building here and there is all most fighting game 'stories' are ever going to amount to.  It's gonna be like flavor text in Bloodborne but 1000 times less interesting.

A random unwashed cloth that you find in Bloodborne has better lore than all of SF lmao 

13 minutes ago, TWINBLADES_SRK said:

dd12rju-4359bb85-10e7-4c9c-9baf-f3711db5

10 minutes ago, TWINBLADES_SRK said:

IJ2's story was solid and I don't even like capeshit outside of the movies. And it still bored me to tears.

IJ2's story was much, much more boring than IJ1's.

11 minutes ago, TWINBLADES_SRK said:

And now GG wants to wrap up it's story. You know the "That Man" reveal is gonna be fucking whack.

Reveal?

Brotha, the hood came off last game, you trippin.

Speaking of which, I'm still laughing at how That Man challenged Sol to a fight and immediately turned himself in to the cops to get tossed in jail and duck him.

713101319279345706.png?v=1

#FreeMyManThatMan

5 minutes ago, misterBee said:

MK11 story wasn't bad...

*Looks at the whole nonsense of Fire god Liu Kang.*

Nah fam, that was garbage. 🤣

9 was cool until Sindel pulled up and killed everyone for shock value tho.

7 minutes ago, misterBee said:

BB needed help trimming some of the fat, but the whole "wtf is going onnnn" talk about ArcSys is kinda overblown imo.

GG was ok and then Xrd really put them on a higher standard. Arcade prologues and then Story Mode is a *ton* of single player content for a FG and knowing I don't have to worry about things being non-canon trash makes it a lot better than say, SFV. Their narrative structure evolved by leaps and bounds.

Speaking of which, SFV is a lot more confusing to keep up, especially the DLC character stories. It also suffers from being outrageously bad.

Best way to make SF story relevant is to play safe and not doing complicated stuff and also redundant stuff.

People already hated the story that Bison doing another version of world domination while Ryu is dealing  SNH then later will finish him up. 

The Juri OVA was good template because it's about few characters that are relevant and also it's spotlight main Juri not Guile, Chun li and Cammy.

Future stories should not be about another new super secret organization that is unbeknownst to anybody but rather about new character either villain, anti hero or just another character that is new then his struggle. keep it short and focus not another grand scale of story that tries to fit everyone.

So it's more of expanding whats already there or giving depth but not complicating it or making another variant of the same setting similar to a previous story but is different.

Xmen Animated Series in 90s had good transition for something like brotherhoods, mr sinister, sabertooth and sentinel even the show has multiple season and something that is weekly compare to a fighting game story like sf that has a interval of 5 years lol

Edited by Shakunetsu
26 minutes ago, misterBee said:

Lol wut, nrs mk stories have been terribad. 

They are a nice spectacle, but have a serious lack of consistency, not only with previous stablished lore but also between each game. 

And in MK11 they cant even maintain consistency in the rules of time travel and how they affect the characters. 

Not to mention that shit just happens because otherwise they wouldnt be able to move the story the way they want. 

Also, GG story is fucking straighforward, i can see why BB could be seem as convulted, but GG, lol, the only shit that could be confusing is some random magi/techno bable that throws from time to time. 

But outside of that, is not complicated. 

1 minute ago, BornWinner said:

They skip all of XX however. Though that game’s story can be summarized as I-no’s a bitch.

Speaking of which...

I-no's a missing bitch in Strive. At least on release.

Don't like the idea of her being DLC tbh, but I know it'll sell like hotcakes.

3 minutes ago, Shakunetsu said:

Best way to make SF story relevant is to play safe and not doing complicated stuff and also redundant stuff.

People already hated the story that Bison doing another version of world domination while Ryu is dealing  SNH then later will finish him up. 

Nah, this is the problem.

Capcom doesn't have the balls to do what other companies do in terms of story.

Take SFV for example. You had some nice ideas going on, but they were too afraid to follow through with them and have a satisfying conclusion.

Nash got revived in a temp body and sent after Bison. We also know Guile is around.

So instead of having Nash and Guile reunite and conclude both of their arcs with Nash sacrificing himself and dealing with Bison, what happened? Nash and Guile pretty much didn't speak with each other, he blew himself up for nothing because Bison wasn't even fazed and we got Ryu pulling up and taking care of business for absolutely no reason.

Meanwhile, Ryu's own arc was rushed and solved off-screen until Kage's inclusion showed a bit of what happened and Necalli looked like a whole bitch because he never got anyone. And it wasn't a lack of characters that could be food, Akuma just casually killed Gen in his story.

Capcom both plays it too safe when it does canon things and riddles games with non-canon trash as a safety net. It's the opposite of what I praised in Xrd. The whole narrative has no coherence, ambition or anything worth its salt.

What's weird is how I skipped most of the Story Modes this gen. If anyone knows how I am, you'll know I've always been someone that cared about the story in fighting games. The only stories I actually completed this time around was SFV, MVCI, and MKX. Completed most of Power Ranger's story, but still have some left since the various updates. Completed like 8% of DBFZ's (which is shocking since I love DBZ), like 10% of Tekken's, watched some GG story, never started Cross Tag Battle, Injustice 2, and any other game with a Story Mode.

I like to tell myself I'll sit down one day and complete them just for the hell of it, but I never do it. I'm not against Story Mode at all, but I'm at the point where I'm perfectly fine with a nice in-depth Arcade Mode.

When it comes to SFV's story, I really wasn't a fan of how they handled the interaction (or lack thereof) between Guile and Nash. I feel like they really screwed the pooch there.

Edited by Doctrine_Dark
14 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

Time travel is one of the worst, most convoluted, and most overused plot devices in fiction. When used as anything other than a joke it is consistently enables or results in dogshit writing.

I tend to wince every time the idea time travel is remotely mentioned in a narrative. 

It is *way* too damn easy to fuck up. Want proof? Look no further than Sonic 2006! 

18 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

Time travel is one of the worst, most convoluted, and most overused plot devices in fiction. When used as anything other than a joke it is consistently enables or results in dogshit writing.

1Hard disagree, when done right it can lead to amazing stories. 

Case in point, The Legacy of Kain series. 

TT like any other narrative device is only a tool. 

That low tier  writters cant use it well is a different thing. 

35 minutes ago, misterBee said:

But I still love it.

You can't make me stop.

😃

I also liked the time traveling in MK11. Who cares if it is overused in fiction? This is fighting games. You know what's an overused plot in fighting games? Tournaments.

Street Fighter

Mortal Kombat

Tekken

King of Fighters

Killer Instinct

Fighter's Destiny

Eternal Champions lol

and long ET CETERA

I like plots that are different like Darkstalkers', PA4's or Blazblue's.

Edited by AriesWarlock
36 minutes ago, Volt said:

Capcom doesn't have the balls to do what other companies do in terms of story.

The thing is what makes NRS stories and ARCs is because it has a narrative tool of time travel or parallel dimension. So they can easily reset or go back to a safe situation that undone the whole thing like how a comic book does and Capcom didn't have that. in Street Fighter. Unless we'll have Ingrid in.

Darkstalkers would be comfortable with that.

Nash got revived in a temp body and sent after Bison. We also know Guile is around.

So instead of having Nash and Guile reunite and conclude both of their arcs with Nash sacrificing himself and dealing with Bison, what happened? Nash and Guile pretty much didn't speak with each other, he blew himself up for nothing because Bison wasn't even fazed and we got Ryu pulling up and taking care of business for absolutely no reason.

I agree it's very much trash that revive a soughtout character that is now unique but then kill it again. Thats a terrible way to handle characters in a game that is a genre is a fighting game which should prioritize characters than making a moment like that to make the other character appeal cool in the story. It's a waste potential because in a fighting game it's not their participation in the story that "just" makes them appealing but rather how they are played and their movesets.

Chances are if they gonna revive a once dead character it's either a spirit, zombie, frankenstein, cyborg or whatsoever imagine revive a dead character multiple times without a narrative tool like NRS fighting games or Arcsys Fighting games. The more version they revive them the more the character starts to become boring and disliked.

Meanwhile, Ryu's own arc was rushed and solved off-screen until Kage's inclusion showed a bit of what happened and Necalli looked like a whole bitch because he never got anyone. And it wasn't a lack of characters that could be food, Akuma just casually killed Gen in his story.

Yeah It was not playing safe it's more on establishing an appeal to Ryu again. that's why Necali role was terrible. He was supposed to be a filler for Akuma's temporary absence, Necalli is obviously a made to target Evil Ryu fans but failed it tries to be different too much and loss it's appeal of being an edgy shoto... Kage was another shot a fixed to the problem.

The earlier SFV trailer was meant like it was Necali to finish and absorb the never ending struggle of Ryu with SNH but they choose to do another story of Ryu finishing Bison again. 

Karin Ninjas were filler and replacements for a scene. 

It's kinda weird that the relevant characters were stuck outside dealing with the Dolls. Then this Ninja were either gone and died.

I believe the Karin hired Ninjas to attack Bison was supposed to be the SF characters in the trailer ganging up against Bison then Nash facing him. If they want Bison to look something powerful it's always should be 1 vs many. But they probably believe it should be Ryu and Bison all over again.

Bison speech to Ryu is cringe it's just another version of how Seth speech to Ryu in ties that bind OVA which was better and natural for him because an artificial being.

For the likes of Seth it's natural to prove himself and being something taking about power for being genetically assemble being. Bison wasn't because he lives more longer than Ryu and he doesn't need to prove himself or question things. The truth about Bison is he is a person that used other people body to harbors his psycho power regardless of them being children or even there gender.  

While they turn Bison and Ryu into a rivalry and Bison which was terrible. They turned also Ryu into a superhero and I also dislike it from both SF4 and SF5 Ryu.

Ryu was a character that is about development and journey not recognition that needs validation to others like Seth and Bison.

If he was there to fight Bison or Seth it's because of part of his journey to betterment and not something of being valued or looking for purpose.

maxresdefault.jpg

This is the same thing with whatever ending he was in the 90s game like even in crossover games like mahvel and etc. his not looking for validation and purpose.

Akuma also has been terrible in modern titles he also seek validation to the likes of Ryu that he is trying to convince him, while in the 90s his just a character that look forward for stronger opponents and it's not centered to Ryu.

You could see Akuma ending in Sf3 titles, alpha 1 and 2, mshvsf and xmen that is about stronger enemies not looking forward to Ryu to be like him. 

Akuma just casually killed Gen in his story.

And Killing Gen was another fail for SF because it's out of his character and it also contrast what he is to Ryu now in SFV. It's inconsistency.

If there was a better SF story in modern times it would be Juri OVA because everyone is relevant and it is new that gives depth in some areas that is also explored a new character and event that is important in the settings of the game. it doesn't need filler moments and characters that is just push to be there because they are in the game.

Edited by Shakunetsu
32 minutes ago, Shakunetsu said:

The thing is what makes NRS stories and ARCs is because it has a narrative tool of time travel or parallel dimension. So they can easily reset or go back to a safe situation that undone the whole thing like how a comic book does and Capcom didn't have that. in Street Fighter. Unless we'll have Ingrid in.

I agree it's very much trash that revive a soughtout character that is now unique but then kill it again. Thats a terrible way to handle characters in a game that is a genre is a fighting game which should prioritize characters than making a moment like that to make the other character appeal cool in the story. It's a waste potential because in a fighting game it's not their participation in the story that "just" makes them appealing but rather how they are played and their movesets.

Chances are if they gonna revive a once dead character it's either a spirit, zombie, frankenstein, cyborg or whatsoever imagine revive a dead character multiple times without a narrative tool like NRS fighting games or Arcsys Fighting games. The more version they revive them the more the character starts to become boring and disliked.

Yeah It was not playing safe it's more on establishing an appeal to Ryu again. that's why Necali role was terrible. He was supposed to be a filler for Akuma's temporary absence, Necalli is obviously a made to target Evil Ryu fans but failed it tries to be different too much and loss it's appeal of being an edgy shoto... Kage was another shot a fixed to the problem.

The earlier SFV trailer was meant like it was Necali to finish and absorb the never ending struggle of Ryu with SNH but they choose to do another story of Ryu finishing Bison again. 

It's kinda weird that the relevant characters were stuck outside dealing with the Dolls. Then this Ninja were either gone and died.

I believe the Karin hired Ninjas to attack Bison was supposed to be the SF characters in the trailer ganging up against Bison then Nash facing him. If they want Bison to look something powerful it's always should be 1 vs many. But they probably believe it should be Ryu and Bison all over again.

Bison speech to Ryu is cringe it's just another version of how Seth speech to Ryu in ties that bind OVA which was better and natural for him because an artificial being.

For the likes of Seth it's natural to prove himself and being something taking about power for being genetically assemble being. Bison wasn't because he lives more longer than Ryu and he doesn't need to prove himself or question things. The truth about Bison is he is a person that used other people body to harbors his psycho power regardless of them being children or even there gender.  

While they turn Bison and Ryu into a rivalry and Bison which was terrible. They turned also Ryu into a superhero and I also dislike it from both SF4 and SF5 Ryu.

Ryu was a character that is about development and journey not recognition that needs validation to others like Seth and Bison.

If he was there to fight Bison or Seth it's because of part of his journey to betterment and not something of being valued or looking for purpose.

maxresdefault.jpg

This is the same thing with whatever ending he was in the 90s game like even in crossover games like mahvel and etc. his not looking for validation and purpose.

Akuma also has been terrible in modern titles he also seek validation to the likes of Ryu that he is trying to convince him, while in the 90s his just a character that look forward for stronger opponents and it's not centered to Ryu.

You could see Akuma ending in Sf3 titles, alpha 1 and 2, mshvsf and xmen that is about stronger enemies not looking forward to Ryu to be like him. 

And Killing Gen was another fail for SF because it's out of his character and it also contrast what he is to Ryu now in SFV. It's inconsistency.

If there was a better SF story in modern times it would be Juri OVA because everyone is relevant and it is new that gives depth in some areas that is also explored a new character and event that is important in the settings of the game. it doesn't need filler moments and characters that is just push to be there because they are in the game.

Many games had characters killed. 

Lorewise Geese Howard has been dead, for decades bith in and outside the game., yet he has shown in multiple games, and even at crossovers. 

Having a character dead doesnt mean they can be seen in the game again. 

You dont even need an story reason. 

Edited by Hecatom
4 minutes ago, TWINBLADES_SRK said:

Absolutely based. The fact that @Hecatomdownvoted this is sickening lol

Tell me how is based to blame a tool for the failings of the user. 

"That hammer sucks since i broke the table i was building when using it" 

Is stupid and childish. 

Edited by Hecatom
42 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Is nice spectacle, yes. 

But you have to turn off your brain to enjoy it. 

The moment you put a modicum amount of thought to what you are watching, it falls apart. 

This is an indictment on piss poor storytelling. Just like it’s an indictment on Time Travel stories that turn to their audience and tell them they’re dumb for wondering how the Time Travel works in universe. 

looper did this and so did endgame. 

4 minutes ago, TWINBLADES_SRK said:

This is an indictment on piss poor storytelling. Just like it’s an indictment on Time Travel stories that turn to their audience and tell them they’re dumb for wondering how the Time Travel works in universe. 

And I still love both Looper and Endgame.  :D

1 minute ago, Hecatom said:

Many games had characters killed. 

Lorewise Geese Howard is dead, for decades. 

As for Geese

Geese had an immortality scroll/ phoenix scroll

There is also a Geese Imposter that is hired by Krauser to pissed Geese and beaten by Billy

And finally the Nightmare Geese that only exist in other characters subconscious because it's a match set on dreams.

Bison can exist as a soul because of psycho powers nature 

https://streetfighter.fandom.com/wiki/Phantom_Bison

Seth has downloadable Ai that probably can be copied and do multiple version of him/her as long it has a modified body

As for the others that ain't super natural they probably just end up Astral, Dream or as what Nash is a macabre type creature.

1 minute ago, Hecatom said:

Having a character dead doesnt mean they can be seen in the game again. 

Agree like they can be like a flashback battle/encounter for particular character like they just there to dedicated to a memory of another character in that story for a fighting game but can be still played against with other characters in non-storymode.

The thing I dislike is when they killed a character is they turned it into either a macabre of some sort instead of bringing it just back as normal not something disfigured or a horror like creature. 

Edited by Shakunetsu
20 minutes ago, TWINBLADES_SRK said:

I agree because those were in a different media on some sort thats why they work differently but in a fighting game that is a recurring franchise if those were done subsequently and too often it would suddenly grow old and dislike.

I prefer gradual phasing stories and stories that intertwine each other while happening in the same time but with different event, people involved and goals rather than everybody.  

Just like Xmen Cartoon 90s. They had multiple arc episodes that had Magneto in spotlight but not everyone is there at the same time some were in alaska like wolverine, some were captive by sinister or stock in genosha. All stories are happening in the same time that would intertwine connected to each other.  They shuffle the cast sometimes in savage island but always wolverine is to his rivals and  aquinatances that he doesn't need to be always with magneto conflicts. Ryu, Akuma and other lone wolf, and also anti-heroes in sf can be in the same situation with wolverine in every FG story.

Stories resolves to time travel and parallel stories is because they want to return to early times or undone anything. So to avoid this they can also try slower phase but intertwining stories.

TBH I like Flashpoint because it's about exploration and mystery it's not another reset with slight changes but rather more on a  different whole possibility and history not the exact thing. Then when things are undone it's also just the same thing it's like a large portion changed.

Edited by Shakunetsu
1 hour ago, AriesWarlock said:

This is fighting games. You know what's an overused plot in fighting games? Tournaments

I agree with this 100%, but I doubt it’s going anywhere. The issue is that FG stories are not actually stories...they are just a list of narrative excuses to make the characters fight each other. What better to way to force lots of fights between characters than a dumb ass tournament? Without a tournament you have to develop *real* reasons for the characters to fight each other lol. 

6 hours ago, Shakunetsu said:

maxresdefault.jpg

There are endless ways to improve SFs Story and World, first thing would be consistency.

Second they should just pull a Xrd, have the Story Mode start with a sum up of the entire Story and then have a lenghty and worked out Story Mode.

Why things happen and how they happen should have Lore and Story explanations and not "Uh yeah so Hobboman was sitting under a waterfall for 1 1/2 hours and is now invincible." Just handing out Plotarmor whenever it's needed is lazy writing.

There has been constant build up, for Nash being the one to take down Bison. Nash then sacrifices himself to achive nothing, hobboman comes in, throws a hadoken of love and wins without a problem.

At this stage of the game it would have made more sense if Nash would have seriously damaged Bison with his sacrifice and then Guile finishes him off.

But nope, they have to have hobboman come in and just plotarmor around. Why was he even at the base? What was his motivation to go there and beat Bison?

Arc Storys all have consistency to them, they give characters motivation, reasons and goals, no one is there just because they have to be there.

Ram had in Xrd more character development, then the entire SF Cast together in over 30 years of history.

Heck both Sol and Ragna have relationships that are reasonable to the cast, Sol is even a family man who should go home and take care of his wife and 3 kids.

What reasonable relationship does Ryu have? Ken who is his only friend and Gouken, who is his dead master.

Speaking of, why did they do nothing with Gouken? Why did they bring him back just to sit there in some panels and add absolutly nothing to the entire story?

It was a waste to bring him back, he adds absolutly nothing to the entire thing, Rashids Buttler does more stuff than Gouken.

Doesn't help that SFVs Story Mode had retconns not even a week after it came out and the only worthwhile thing it produced was the theory that Juri is gay for Cammy.

SFVs Arcade Mode is also a complete waste, throwing you dozens of non-canon endings at you.

Xrds Arcade Mode adds to the Story with each and every character, everyone does something.

Heck Potemkins Arcade Mode give massive insight in his character and his motivation to do the things he does.

Elphelts is a dream, cause she is stuck in a situation and wakes up being stuck in a situation.

Jack-O,Sol and Ram all revolve around each other, with Sol learning that Jack-O has half of his wifes soul in her (the other half is stuck in Justice) and looks exactly like her.

Even in BB where most of the characters Storys are just "their possibility", it makes sense, cause thats how the story would have ended if they would have been the ones get their wish granted. Something Ragna was set out to take away from everyone for the sake of everyone.

There are also a lot of canon elements that tie into the story in the arcade modes.

Not to mention how Arc Games have ingame Glossarys that give info about everything in their god damn world.

If you want SFs Story to be great and be worthwhile, they have a lot of work to do and a lot to bring in line.

Something they won't do, cause making something that looks cool and saying 2 weeks later that you retcon it is much much easier.

9 hours ago, Chun-Li_Forever said:

Story mode

Y'all have way more patients than I do for this stuff. Fighting game stories have always been kind of a chore for me. 

I think they should do it the FromSoftware style where the story is told through context clues, limited cutscenes, and item descriptions. 

If you wanna have a single player mode, at least give people the chance to add stat buffing items to the characters and give those items some relevance. SC does something like this, and I always thought SCs single player was pretty cool. SC6 has way to many cutscenes tho

35 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

Yeah they did my boy Nash dirty

I seriously thought about re-writing ASF for my own piece of mind. I remember writing my own versions of Jacob and Miranda's arcs in ME3 because what they got was so trash. It did make me feel a bit better. 😉

Edit: If anyone wants to see what I wrote for that, I think I still have it on my hard drive somewhere.

Edited by Darc_Requiem

I think FG stories would be much better if they focused on a small group of characters in each one instead of trying to cram in a fight or cameo for everyone. If you really need everyone to show up have multiple stories each with a different conflict, resolution, and different characters. Example:

Story 1: Chun/Nash/Guile vs Bison/FANG for the Shadaloo stuff

Story 2: Gill/Urien/Kolin doing Illuminati things

Story 3: Cammy and Juri adventures 

Etc

Feels like they try to do this with arcade mode but imo it falls flat because in that mode everyone is the hero of their own story. 

@Vhozite Say what you will about their quality, but I feel that NRS gets the structure right. They make story around focused around a half dozen or so characters. Your ideas remind me of the best season of Agents of Shield. Season 4 of Agents of Shield was essentially three mini seasons. They had an 8 episode arc centered on Ghost Rider. 7 episode arc focused on LMDs (Life Model Decoys), and 7 episode arc that deal with The Framework (Agends of Hydra.). 22 episodes a no filler. Best 22 episode season I've seen of any show with that episode count period.

Edited by Darc_Requiem

Nash and Necalli both got fucked in SF5's story mode. One should have stayed dead for all they did with him and the other might as well never exist.

I think the biggest challenge Capcom runs into with trying to put a story mode into SF is that the games were never about that. The characters were always these really rough sketches that were fleshed out through really small story bits in game and supplemental material. There's a little bit to work with but if you don't put anything extra in there you're just bouncing anime archetypes off of each other. That can still be fun (all of my favorite parts of SF5's story mode are just that) but it isn't going to make a strong impression.