Stage Select

The MEGASHOCK Saloon Thread 2.0

Yeah, there are only a couple of people there trying to have conversations that probably ought to be happening here instead.

Maybe Dev really just wants the whole place to finally implode.  Especially seeing how Wiz is still attached to the whole thing as a project.  Huge fucking albatross when the Cannons decide to try getting Evo up and running again.

1 minute ago, Reticently said:

Huge fucking albatross when the Cannons decide to try getting Evo up and running again.

As interesting as I find post blow up SRK (purely for that whole been observing it for 12+ years thing), the website basically has a second albatross now with what happened to me. At this point its basically hoping that I never post the PMs publicly (because the messages were that bad and d3v not doing anything about it turned out to be that bad). If you're on the forum side of things, you can't tell anybody your admin has either: 1) good judgement or 2) will protect users from extreme abuse; the weird part is that he'll clearly quintuple down on a wrong decision and ride for all its worth.

So as an online place, the way it moves forward is either by everybody pretending it didn't happen, enough people agreeing that d3v was right in the situation for the sake of posting on SRK or shifting the blame unto me. Given how some people have skipped, refused to read or done the last one already, all three are gonna happen so people can keep posting in....two threads. I was explaining to somebody that it is similar to how the Yanomamo make peace after warring with other villages. They sort of agree on a lie and then move forward agreeing the lie is what happened.

Definitely speaks to the power of SRK as a name that's been a home for people. Also to how hard they'll avoid conflict for the sake of being comfortable. Its kind of a textbook example of why bad management stays in place and all that jazz. Its also why people put up with bad government.

🤷‍♂️

I'm significantly more interested in how to improve this place though. I have some but its tricky coming up with new stuff that isn't "do that one thing but better because of this way".

13 minutes ago, Sonero said:

I'm significantly more interested in how to improve this place though

Yeah, I'm feeling that. 

Of course, MisterBee is the one steering the ship, but he's really responsive to all of us and is really open to suggestions. What do we want MEGASHOCK to be? Do we want it to be a gaming website, like with a frontpage with articles, videos, and podcasts that's less washed than eventhubs? Or do we want it to be something that drives community: hosting and sponsoring tournaments, booths at conventions, etc? 

It's pretty exciting to see where it starts moving. I'm also happy just having a place to hangout online 

8 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

It's pretty exciting to see where it starts moving. I'm also happy just having a place to hangout online 

I was talking about this too. MegaShock is kind of a blank canvas as far as the FGC goes. But then that's kind of a weird space too. Does it lean competitive, does it lean on focusing on the "casual" FGC side where the emphasis is treating FGs as a long term hobby the way you do other games (think of it like a chess thing, the overwhelming majority want to get better but aren't in tournaments...also what I think would be a great approach to the site).

Think I like that second, slower hobbyist approach that the FGC seems to have forgotten about.  I was  watching one of the translated Daigo vids, in it he mentions that he just likes chillin' and playing good people. Tournaments are alright to him but just playing is where its at for him.

Always thought that SRK dying was a good chance to philosophically shift it in a new direction. Maybe just take all those ides and apply it to MegaShock; I just really don't want this place to be SRK 2.0 though, that's a disservice to it.

7 minutes ago, Lantis said:

just be a bunch of old farts commenting on the new shit coming out while comparing them to "the good ol' days".

Bro that’s what gd has been since 09. Lol

just a lot of us became family Men and just talked amongst ourself about life. 

we still bitched a lot about the modern fgc tho lol

Edited by iStu X
13 minutes ago, Lantis said:

I would be more concerned with getting new blood in here, since at this rate it's just gonna be The SRK Rejects and just be a bunch of old farts

That'll happen with time.

What wont happen with time is you playing something other than 3S.

MegaBee Productions and New Line Cinema present......

Harold and Kumar!

Starring......

MisterBee as Harold Lee

Dangerous J as Kumar Patel

RSG3 as Neil Patrick Harris

Paula Garces as Maria

Chadouken as Freakshow

Chad's wife as Liane/Mrs. Freakshow

Kingtubb as Rosenberg

Darksakul  as Goldstein

Pedoviejo as Cole, leader of the EXTREME WHITE BOIS!

Darc Requiem as Burger shack employee (Anthony Anderson)

Hanzo Hattori as Tarik Jackson (fat black man in prison with big penis)

Cyntalan as Ron Fox the Secretary of Homeland Security

SNAAAKE as Raza Syed (Bottomless party!)

Lantis as Carlos Perez aka Maria's Dad

Jion Wansu as Wafflebot

Stuart Hayden as Adrian

Daboog as Kenneth Park (Harold's Secretary)

Sonero as Santa Claus

Million as Jesus

22 minutes ago, DangerousJ said:

MegaBee Productions and New Line Cinema present......

Harold and Kumar!

Starring......

MisterBee as Harold Lee

Dangerous J as Kumar Patel

RSG3 as Neil Patrick Harris

Paula Garces as Maria

Chadouken as Freakshow

Chad's wife as Liane/Mrs. Freakshow

Kingtubb as Rosenberg

Darksakul  as Goldstein

Pedoviejo as Cole, leader of the EXTREME WHITE BOIS!

Darc Requiem as Burger shack employee (Anthony Anderson)

Hanzo Hattori as Tarik Jackson (fat black man in prison with big penis)

Cyntalan as Ron Fox the Secretary of Homeland Security

SNAAAKE as Raza Syed (Bottomless party!)

Lantis as Carlos Perez aka Maria's Dad

Jion Wansu as Wafflebot

Stuart Hayden as Adrian

Daboog as Kenneth Park (Harold's Secretary)

Sonero as Santa Claus

Million as Jesus

I’ve only seen H&K once so I have no idea who the person I’m playing is 

3 hours ago, Reticently said:

Yeah, there are only a couple of people there trying to have conversations that probably ought to be happening here instead.

Maybe Dev really just wants the whole place to finally implode.  Especially seeing how Wiz is still attached to the whole thing as a project.  Huge fucking albatross when the Cannons decide to try getting Evo up and running again.

We rather not have a politics topic here. It would be an excuse for some here to shitpost

Most of us here are middle aged guys who have been hobbyists more than competitors for more than 5 to 10 years. This place feels like a really cool retiremenr home board.

So my  back is freaking wrecked. I really believe in cupping, accupunture, and massage

Edited by DrLariat

So what are people taking for the pain? I am on ibuprofen, diclofenac gel, and robaxin

I try not to take the motrin and robaxin daily so as not to become so reliant on meds.

Diclofenac gel is okay because it is a topical nsaid that really helps. 

Things like icy hot with lidocaine, salon pas, kinesio tape are also god sends 

But really stretching like yoga and pillates helps so much

Just be sure to discuss your pain and symptoms with your md.

Enough of y'alls malarkey.

Yesterday I played my daughter the video to Earth, Wind and Fire's Boogie Wonderland. She's dancing around for a bit then randomly stops. I ask her if she's okay and she hits me with:

>I'm embarrassed.

🤨, alright, why are you embarrassed?

>Its so beautiful.

You give a kid a big enough vocabulary, they are gonna hit you with some weird and awesome stuff at random. 😂

So theirs a debate about getting rid of analog clocks in schools. And I see people being mad and saying like "what if their isn't a digital clock nearby". 

I get why people are upset.. Change sucks. They all got mad at getting rid of cursive even though most admitted they don't use it at all. 

So now my thinking is... Where the hell have you been that a digital clock wasn't a foot away? What dystopian society situation can you realistically think that it's nessisary to know analog outaide of purely aesthetician or just curiosity to know reasons? 

3 minutes ago, Maxx said:

Where the hell have you been that a digital clock wasn't a foot away?

I was facebook stalking some distant-ish relatives that I'll never meet the other day, and I came across a cousin (once removed?  second?  I can never remember the difference).

Dude sells luxury watches.  Luxury.  Like, there's 0.00001% of the population who need to have a timepiece on their wrist because what they do is time sensitive but keeps them from being able to grab their cell phone.  Every other watch out there is already a fucking fashion accessory.  But:

This dude is out there making a living selling $14,000+ watches. 

So you know who needs to be able to read analog time pieces?  Bougie mother fuckers and their enablers.  That's it.

9 minutes ago, Maxx said:

What dystopian society situation can you realistically think that it's nessisary to know analog outaide of purely aesthetician or just curiosity to know reasons? 

I've found that making things easier, even learning weird obtuse things that don't have much marignal use (say, roman numerals), still provide important cognitive benefits. I have pocket watches and wrist watches that are analog.

Just understanding things a different way is important for your brain.

3 minutes ago, Sonero said:

I've found that making things easier, even learning weird obtuse things that don't have much marignal use (say, roman numerals), still provide important cognitive benefits. I have pocket watches and wrist watches that are analog.

Just understanding things a different way is important for your brain.

That I can get behind. Giving your brain a minor excersize to stimulate it. I also think at least for the moment aesthetical wise it will prob take presidence over digital. But the change has started. I know some digital are trying tk blend the two worlds as well. We hit the Era of dick Tracy watches 

8 minutes ago, Reticently said:

Bougie mother fuckers and their enablers. 

Bro, what has a modless SRK done to your Whitest Bread self?

If SonicHuman comes into this place dropping soft A's Imma make an alt on SRK to set it straight. Some go put the McRib of Tefiti back into SRK. The corruption is too far reaching now.

Edited by Sonero
2 hours ago, Maxx said:

They all got mad at getting rid of cursive even though most admitted they don't use it at all. 

Because I moved around so much when I was little due to my dad being in the army I never learned cursive. I learned certain letters here and there but not complete cursive. 

Usually by the time I moved to that state they had just finished covering it or they covered it in the previous grade. 

Fast forward later to high school where I was in a class that basically “prepared you for the future” where we did stuff like learn to balance check books, sign our signature, how to open bank accounts, make resumes, etc.

I ended up getting into a shouting match with the teacher because he though I was lying about no knowing cursive and that I was just being stubborn. Our fight lasted a good few minutes. He ended up keeping me after class to talk to me one-on-one. When it was just us he asked “Do you REALLY not know cursive?!” 

I said yes I really don’t know cursive and explained what I explained at the beginning of this post. Everything then suddenly clicked for him. He was like “oh man, my bad, that makes 100% sense. I didn’t mean to blow up on you like that. I should have just trusted what you were telling me or asked why you don’t know”. I just replied “yeah, it’s fine. If you hadn’t of snapped at me I wouldn’t have clapped back. So it’s all good” 

he then continued “so, in my opinion you don’t really need to KNOW cursive but I’m going to at least teach you how to sign your name. You will ALWAYS need to know how to do that. Anything after that is up to you” so over the next week he taught me how a coherent way to sign my signature

(I say coherent cause I’m left handed so everything I write looks like it’s coming from a serial killer) 

Edited by iStu X
36 minutes ago, Maxx said:

So theirs a debate about getting rid of analog clocks in schools. And I see people being mad and saying like "what if their isn't a digital clock nearby". 

I get why people are upset.. Change sucks. They all got mad at getting rid of cursive even though most admitted they don't use it at all. 

So now my thinking is... Where the hell have you been that a digital clock wasn't a foot away? What dystopian society situation can you realistically think that it's nessisary to know analog outaide of purely aesthetician or just curiosity to know reasons? 

Military time should be taught

28 minutes ago, Sonero said:

Well, if you read what Preppy sent me, read how d3v ignored it and then penalized me for being on the losing end of it...and you still volunteer to work under d3v...Best of luck I guess. But you're basically suspect forever.

🤷‍♂️

Some people don't want to let SRK go. This place is a testament to that. It's been around since the Discourse debacle. It's had an owner that actually listens to the community this whole time. SRK is like an abusive relationship at this point. but you can't make some leave one of those. They have to choose to leave. 

15 minutes ago, iStu X said:

Fast forward later to high school where I was in a class that basically “prepared you for the future” where we did stuff like learn to balance check books, sign our signature, how to open bank accounts, make resumes, etc.

Damn those classes shpuld be mandatory and be ran throughout high school

Learn about avoiding massive debt

Learn what debt is

Learn whether college is right or wrong for you

Entering the work force

Trade school

Edited by DrLariat
22 minutes ago, DrLariat said:

Damn those classes shpuld be mandatory and be ran throughout high school

Leadn about avoiding massive debt

They didn’t delve that deep into shit like that. It was more of a crash coarse as opposed to an actual platform. A lot of my friends thought it was such an interesting class cause their schools didn’t provide anything like that. 

(I went to an “alternative” high school. It was for pregnant teen girls who still wanted to finish school, teens who had to take part time jobs to help their family, kids that got expelled from other schools, sometimes kids slightly on the spectrum. 

it was a lighter schedule. You either went to school Mon, Tues, Wed and a half day Friday. Or you went Tues, Wed, Thurs, half day Friday. If you were a senior you didn’t go to school on Fridays. The school days were 9am-2:30pm except on Friday. We’d get out at noon on fridays. 

I personally went cause everything I read about it was much better from a mental health aspect. Cause I was teetering on suicide when I was in a normal jr high and then high school.) 

Edited by iStu X

military time makes more sense, imo...since you just keep counting the hours beyond 12, no need to start over at "1" again...it's simple either way but I kinda got used to seeing it since both my dad and grandpa were military guys... grandpa was the one to use it all the time though.

I didn't much like cursive writing when I was a kid... a lot of the capital letters are just ugly.  Eventually I just stopped using it for capitals... fast foward to modern times and it's rare that anyone even needs to use it.  Cursive is for writing your signature and that's it, basically....and even there, most people use some highly stylized, sometimes barely legible marks that aren't "correct" cursive anyway....at this point it's dead; it's understandable if most schools stopped wasting time teaching that.

8 minutes ago, Maxx said:

Define North. Because this is a thing throughout the USA.  

Yup. By the time I was in 7th grade Washington state had completely gotten rid of teaching cursive from the curriculum 

EDIT Re Time: even though I know military time and have known since I was very little I’ve always fucking hated it. I avoid using it at all times. 

Edited by iStu X
35 minutes ago, Maxx said:

They all got mad at getting rid of cursive even though most admitted they don't use it at all. 

I heard a one of the workers at a "take and bake" pizza place I was picking up from going off about this.

She was saying "HOW ARE THESE KIDS GOING TO READ THE CONSTITUTION?? THEY'RE CONTROLLING US WITH IGNORANCE" 

Pretty sure they've transcribed the constitution at this point...