Stage Select

The MEGASHOCK Saloon Thread 3: Chinder Chagger Edition

1 hour ago, GreyFoxx said:

Did they collect the next event in this X-men run or should i just grab individual volumes? I know Magento is up for trial and some other shenanigans are afoot.

So Hickmans X Men so far (in order) is 

House/Powers of X omnibus 

Dawn of X TPB’s Vol. 1-16 

X of Swords omnibus 

Reign of X TPB’s  (currently on going) 

Also there’s Helfire Gala, Trial of Magneto and Inferno. (helfire gala has been done for a while and it’s trade is being released this month iirc). we’re moving into Trial and Inferno. Wolverines big titles aren’t until next year.) 

I buy in trades so I don’t know how far each issues of the ongoing are. They’ve only released up to reign of X volume 3 with Vol. 4 at the end of this month.

I highly recommend reading Hicksmans X-Run by trade as the trades compile all the titles in canonical order and not in release order which is vastly different 

Edited by iStu X
3 minutes ago, iStu X said:

It might not be a big deal to most but to me it is. 

That's all that should matter.

4 minutes ago, iStu X said:

I was just now able to my first push up and first sit-up since the neuropathy in my left side began due to the abscess in my brain/since my brain surgery. Which was about 7 years ago. 

I’m super close to just bawling my eyes out because I’m so happy.  I tried for years after my surgery to no avail and to the point where I just gave up on exercising cause I was so mentally defeated.

That's gold man! Keep it up.

sheeeitttt, I found another epic jam session... a nice start to my 3-day weekend

...and a cool picture of what appears to be our "blessed Mother" Lilith from Diablo lore during the 2nd track

speaking of that... it was one of the greatest trailers I've seen in years, man...I've watched it countless times already

"...THERE IS NO LIGHT HERE." Delicious.

Edited by MillionX
8 minutes ago, Genghis_Dong said:

My poor cowboy bebop is going to be massacred. I pray for the best, but expect the worst.

Yep. Silly Hollywood people continuing to make live-action remakes of stuff that no one wanted to begin with.

I have (or had) no problem with the actress who was cast as Faye but when she made that video blasting fans I was just "WTF?". She said "I'm sorry I wasn't born looking like Faye" but... we all know she got the role because she knows somebody who knows somebody, it's not like she's essential to the character. Why is she acting like it's pre-determined that the role is hers? Fans can accept when a person doesn't match a fictional characters proportions (eg Chris Evans is not 6'5, 240 or whatever Cap is supposed to be, but no one complained) but acting like it's the fans fault when you ain't even look like the character is so condescending.

She also stated that she couldn't dress like Faye because "I can't do stunts in tissue paper". Somehow Angelina Jolie was able to do stunts in Lara Croft attire, same for Trinity in the Matrix. They're not doing stunts, but we've seen cosplayers do basically perfect recreations of Faye. Just... c'mon man.

I don't even know anything else about the movie besides the trailer and this bitch's arrogant fan-attack video, but it's definitely a pass for me.

Hollywood continues to be clueless. No one wanted this movie, just like no one wanted the Godfather part 3.

3 hours ago, TheInfernoman said:

Not every show translates well into live action. Some can be done and look good. One Piece is going to be horrible on Netflix. 

Death-Light-Ryuk-closer_t800.jpg?9023245

Nailed it.

Cowboy Bebop will likely be fine, it doesn't have guys whose arms stretch. Hollywood can do flying ships, martial arts, and guns.  The actress can say whatever on Twitter, on the show she's going to say what's in the script.

I'll judge the show on the show. 

She should probably shut up tho. Like how Kevin shouldn't have commented on the Master of the Universe leaks and just let the show speak for itself. 

Creators should stop creating ammo for Mauler level Autists to make 3 hour long videos about a tweet as if it's actually important compared to actual shit going on in the world. 

Edited by RSG3

mannnn it should be fun to watch the chaos when that live action One Piece comes out.  I'm one of the only people in the world that isn't a fan of the anime at all so I'm fully on the sidelines with that one.  I'd rather most anime shows just never go to live-action, but this one seems to be an especially bad idea for live-action, due to the wild (and butt-ugly, imo) character designs, mostly.

9 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

Oh nooooo...

https://animecorner.me/hollywood-one-piece-live-action-series-announced-netflix-original/

I really don't think One Piece will translate well to live action.  It'll be a miracle if it does.

The script is written by Matt Owens, who worked on “Agents of Shield” and Netflix’s Marvel drama series, and Steven Maeda, who worked on “LOST.” They will also participate as executive producers.

No Way Abandon Thread GIF

10 hours ago, Genghis_Dong said:

My poor cowboy bebop is going to be massacred. I pray for the best, but expect the worst.

Hey just because Netflix's Spike Spiegel is old enough to be anime Spike Spiegel's dad doesn't mean it will be bad. 👀 Sarcasm aside, I don't get Faye Valentine. Oh it's not what you are thinking. All this controversy around her outfit and no one is bringing up that she's been race swapped. Faye was Singaporean. They didn't even cast an Asian actress for the role. I guess clout chasing Twitter "activist" only care about Asian representation when a character uses martial arts. Because assuming martial arts characters have to be Asian isn't racist at all 👀

yeah, a lot of anime characters don't really look like Asian people, imo....at best, Faye looks like she's half-white, half asian, I guess?  This reminds me... for quite a while Faye was the hottest anime character, imo... but she was of course surpassed by others at this point.  Currently the top ranks that come to mind for me are Lust from Full Metal Alchemist, Dorothy from Big-O and that girl from My Hero Academia that can make things appear out of nothing.

on another note with the shameless plug---new season of L.A. by Night is premiering now on youtube!

11 hours ago, IcyBlackDeep said:

Death-Light-Ryuk-closer_t800.jpg?9023245

Nailed it.

Cowboy Bebop will likely be fine, it doesn't have guys whose arms stretch. Hollywood can do flying ships, martial arts, and guns.  The actress can say whatever on Twitter, on the show she's going to say what's in the script.

I'm pretty confident that Death Note and Cowboy Bebop can be translated pretty easily to live action.    Death Note doesn't even really had that much wild shit in it to translate aside from Ryuk, the shinigami and the shinigami world.  That just needs good actors, a directer/screenwriter  who knows the material/can treat the material justice and a decent budget and that's it.  Most of that movie is going to be carried on the live action people actiing and the script and less so the CG.

Bebop is the in the same boat but would just need a higher budget to translate properly because Space and some of the slightly more wild aspects of the show.

One Piece though has sooooo much crazy shit going on that would have to be CG'd out the ass to make it work properly and I don't know how it'd be done without it looking goofy as hell in live action.  Rubber band man, people turning into smoke, giraffes, T-rexs, the fucking Okama, the marines made of light and lava, the marine that either summons a big ass golden buddha, animals talking and or turning into other things,  objects speakings, the Den Den Mushi ( snail phone)...shit the list goes on and on with this series.  Like there's barely anything in this show that I could consider 'normal'.  DRAGONBALL has more normal in it and that has gods blowing up planets.  I do NOT envy anyone trying to tackle this series in anyway to try to make it translate and it not look like ass.  I mean if they're going to do it I almost feel they may as well just do it 100% for the fans and not even try to appeal to people outside of the fandom to be honest cause I know when that first trailer hits it's going to be massive 'WTF is this!?' to anyone who isn't aware of the show.

4 hours ago, DangerousJ said:

Almost all anime characters are European with brightly colored hair.

So true. Occasionally you see a "nadeshiko" char who is a white woman with black hair and slightly angled eyes at most who likes Japanese clothing.

Everyone else is just a white person with different color hair, often blonde, denoting their "aristocratic authentic Japanese lineage that can be traced back thousands of years". The male chars make also have spiky weird hairstyles, including multiple colors of hair on the same person.

The Japanese are by far the most self-hating minority group I know of.

34 minutes ago, Serpent said:

So true. Occasionally you see a "nadeshiko" char who is a white woman with black hair and slightly angled eyes at most who likes Japanese clothing.

Everyone else is just a white person with different color hair, often blonde, denoting their "aristocratic authentic Japanese lineage that can be traced back thousands of years". The male chars make also have spiky weird hairstyles, including multiple colors of hair on the same person.

The Japanese are by far the most self-hating minority group I know of.

The 'most anime characters are white' fallacy is just that.  It's better to assume that any character is Japanese unless its clearly hinted or pointed out not being as such.    Hair color doesn't mean anything in anime since color is a means to further make the characters different instead of everyone having black or brown hair.

it's pretty funny that someone like Naruto Uzemaki is supposed to be Japanese I guess but he's a naturally blue-eyed blond-haired kid 😆  Sasuske and Shikimaru actually look believable as Asian kids though, and that's about it.

On another note... the old stereotypical/racist way they used to draw Black people is just funny to me... one of those things I'm not *supposed* to laugh at but I'd be lying if I claimed otherwise. 🤣  Ooh, remember that time they made Mr. Popo blue for a while, apparently to steer clear of any expected outrage I guess... then he went back to being literally black-skinned again.  Either way, the way that character looks has always been hilarious to me.

Edited by MillionX
5 minutes ago, MillionX said:

it's pretty funny that someone like Naruto Uzemaki is supposed to be Japanese I guess but he's a naturally blue-eyed blond-haired kid 😆  Sasuske and Shikimaru actually look believable as Asian kids though, and that's about it.

On another note... the old stereotypical/racist way they used to draw Black people is just funny to me... one of those things I'm not *supposed* to laugh at but I'd be lying if I claimed otherwise. 🤣  Ooh, remember that time they made Mr. Popo blue for a while, apparently to steer clear of any expected outrage I guess... then he went back to being literally black-skinned again.  Either way, the way that character looks has always been hilarious to me.

This has come up before but SF probably would have been cancelled today. What a ridiculous effort. Dhalsim, Deejay. And also Punch-Out! with its nonsense.

I mean I loved that stuff and I don't know that either was malicious, but today's a different world too where you can't hide behind ignorance or whatever without at least getting challenged.

Like Sonic said, it’s best to assume most characters in Anime or any Japanese product really are Japanese. Because if a character is meant to be from the West, you’ll know as soon as you seen them. 

Spoiler

image1.png

image0.webp

image0.webp

Someone like Sailor Moon and Naruto may have blonde hair but it’s clear they’re not American because Japan really love having characters like this eve super American.

8 minutes ago, Scanman said:

I don't really care if the actress who plays Faye is white. I mean, "Faye Valentine" is not exactly the most Japanese name ever. It's -nothing- on the same level as making Motoko from GitS into... Scarlet Johannsen. 

And yeah, hair color in anime don't mean shit, it's just so that not everyone is brown-eyed and brown-haired.

Singaporean not Japanese and that wasn't my point. The point was the inconsistency of Twitter. The people that normal pitch a fit about this sort of thing haven't said a word. They are like the SFIV fans in Twitch Chat during SFV events. They are frauds.